.199 keeps killing my micro USB port!

Search This thread

mdc1983uk

Aug 19, 2013
Twice now since updating to official .199 UK unbranded i've been hit by a bug where my phone won't recognise charger unless its turned off. It's fine for a couple of days then gets very random about whether it will charge when turned on. Usually this followed by the next day it won't charge at all. This time i've noticed my laptop won't recognise Xperia T internal storage either and ADB/USB debugging don't work either.

I've hard rebooted, booted in safe mode and factory reset from within the phone and it makes no difference. Sony no doubt would tell me charger or port is broken and use returns process but when turned off phone will always charge... It also has no problems with the laptop flashing it or fastboot mode from turned off so this is no hardware fault with my lead, ports or charger. I've reflashed kernel on its own with flashtool, also fully without wiping and fully with wiping NO DIFFERENCE.

So the only thing that will fix this is SUS repair function, every couple of days? Very stupid bug worse than the 100% charge with .295. You can no longer rely on the Xperia as a main phone in my opinion unless your prepared to carry a laptop and internet connection with you everywhere. What a disappointment.

mdc1983uk

Aug 19, 2013
Further to this I have just repaired and even that hasn't done anything. Just used flashtool to revert back to ICS software and my charger is immediately recognised on first boot. I will now update using SUS again to .199 and I bet it will still work for a couple of days and then start to trip out again. Where the hell can this bug be lingering though if it can avoid factory resets and full SUS software repair?? What can downgrading reset that nothing else can... Very confused and disgruntled now. I suspect you could also revert to 4.1 with same effect but I just had ICS firmware handy so used that. I will test 4.1 next time

mdc1983uk

Aug 19, 2013
ICS only works. It gave me a update to 9.1.A.1.141 over the air so I did it and it broke my port again. I flashed 9.1.A.1.141 manually and its still broke - that was the software I was using before 4.3 and it worked fine. Is it seriously possible that these 4.3 updates have done something so bad to my phone that only the software it originally came with will work properly because thats how it appears to me now. I can't charge while turned on or have my laptop recognise the Xperia T internal storage unless using 7.0.A.1.303. Phone about to get thrown against a wall I think.

mdc1983uk

Aug 19, 2013
Thanks for suggestion but i'm not so sure. I mean it charges fine turned off, it charges fine on 7.1.A.303. And another symptom is not being able to connect my PC to phone. Surely if it was just battery/power control it wouldn't charge from PC but would still connect and allow me to transfer files. I also don't have any of the random reboots the OP had. I'm so worried to send this in for repair. Last time they did a software update and sent it back with original problem. Then they fixed 2nd attempt but caused some cosmetic damage and it didn't last long. Then my operator replaced it as I said I lost trust in the repair centre. I only got this one Nov last year and already it's having problems... I'm either unluckyist T owner going or they have some serious issues.

Maybe your battery power control is ruined.
Have a look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2688272

istux

Jun 26, 2012
Milano
Thanks for suggestion but i'm not so sure. I mean it charges fine turned off, it charges fine on 7.1.A.303. And another symptom is not being able to connect my PC to phone. Surely if it was just battery/power control it wouldn't charge from PC but would still connect and allow me to transfer files. I also don't have any of the random reboots the OP had. I'm so worried to send this in for repair. Last time they did a software update and sent it back with original problem. Then they fixed 2nd attempt but caused some cosmetic damage and it didn't last long. Then my operator replaced it as I said I lost trust in the repair centre. I only got this one Nov last year and already it's having problems... I'm either unluckyist T owner going or they have some serious issues.

Very unlucky... my T is one year old, I installed every kind of rom/upgrade/downgrade and still works flawlessly.
Could they have replaced your old phone with a regenerated unit?

Your USB port is ok, that's for sure.
Like any other electronic component, a fried power control could behave in many different ways.
Yours could have problem when it has to work with a firmware that manage the power in a certain way.
Even when you connect to your PC, the power control of the battery is called to manage the power coming from the computer: in fact the phone usually charges during any operation with the PC.
And this explains why the phone charges fine when turned off.
Now the question is: which is the power control ruined? The one of the battery or are there other power controls?

Let's make it clear: this is just my hypothesis ;)

If you don't trust in reparing service, why don't you try to repair by yourself?
You need a screwdriver (for only one screw) and a guitar plectrum to open up the back cover.
That's all, it's very easy... on internet there are some video guides... but remember that this way you loose your warranty!

Last edited: