[Q] Nabi2 reboot/root/recovery issue.

Search This thread

smirnofred

Jan 20, 2013
Hi,

I have a UK Nabi2 which I used Nabilab2 to install TWRP+root+google apps a while back. I needed to do the new two part OTA update, for warranty reasons, so went to install my original backup, but could not find it. I used Nabilab2full and did the stock install, which removed root and returned the device back to stock. (This also changed my nabi to a US version with no serial, FW 2.1.29. which I later found out). & at that point I still had TWRP.

I did the first two of three OTA updates (which worked), the third update crashed during install. I retried the OTA twice more but each time it crashed. The device lost TWRP after this.

Upon entering recovery with ON/Vol+ I now get <3e> recovery. Running the root.zip file from sd card fails (I assume as I am not in the correct mode or have a bad file?). The OTA updates I grabbed from the nabi wiki page (and the thread, see below) also fail.

My device does not show in fastboot. Adb sees it but when using the command, C:\adb reboot recovery, the Nabi reboots and goes to the dead android (pushing -/+ to get into) <3e> recovery, and adb at that point no longer sees the device. The nabi also disconnects once adb shell is executed. I can intsall .apk files via adb command but I still need root access to run TWRP backup manager. I can run the root.zip file via an apk installer, but when running SU it gives a message 'There is no superuser binary installed, and superSU cannot install it. This is a problem!' ...Is there another way can I install root and/or the recovery.img to the Nabi2?

(I have been following the thread here, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2041224&page=10, as well as several hours worth of reading various adb, <3e> recovery, lost root etc q&a's in other places but cannot find an answer, or it's assumed that the adb reboot recovery command is working, which mine appears not to be).

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Smirnofred

Last edited:

scotia_rfc

Jan 16, 2009
Port Glasgow
Hi,

I have quite a similar issue with this. I flashed custom recovery and forced gapps, but now cannot flash original recovery to perform OTA update. Cannot boot into custom recovery at all.

Done a system restore so now i have lost the gapps that were pushed and cant get into recovery to flash them again :crying:

smirnofred

Jan 20, 2013
Thank you for the reply mate, sorry to hear you are in the same situation more or less.

Further reading over at Stack overflow help forums seems to lead me to believe the tablet is bricked. Loss of su/root privileges means no r/w access via adb to put the required files where they need to be, or install or TRWP.

I'm not giving up on this... well not yet. I have a ton of other work related things going on right now that I need to clear down so I can look into this a bit more seriously. I'm away till the 17th April but will check in here when I can. And, if I find a solution I will post it here.

smirnofred ;0)

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Hi,

I have a UK Nabi2 which I used Nabilab2 to install TWRP+root+google apps a while back. I needed to do the new two part OTA update, for warranty reasons, so went to install my original backup, but could not find it. I used Nabilab2full and did the stock install, which removed root and returned the device back to stock. (This also changed my nabi to a US version with no serial, FW 2.1.29. which I later found out). & at that point I still had TWRP.

I did the first two of three OTA updates (which worked), the third update crashed during install. I retried the OTA twice more but each time it crashed. The device lost TWRP after this.

Upon entering recovery with ON/Vol+ I now get <3e> recovery. Running the root.zip file from sd card fails (I assume as I am not in the correct mode or have a bad file?). The OTA updates I grabbed from the nabi wiki page (and the thread, see below) also fail.

My device does not show in fastboot. Adb sees it but when using the command, C:\adb reboot recovery, the Nabi reboots and goes to the dead android (pushing -/+ to get into) <3e> recovery, and adb at that point no longer sees the device. The nabi also disconnects once adb shell is executed. I can intsall .apk files via adb command but I still need root access to run TWRP backup manager. I can run the root.zip file via an apk installer, but when running SU it gives a message 'There is no superuser binary installed, and superSU cannot install it. This is a problem!' ...Is there another way can I install root and/or the recovery.img to the Nabi2?

(I have been following the thread here, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2041224&page=10, as well as several hours worth of reading various adb, <3e> recovery, lost root etc q&a's in other places but cannot find an answer, or it's assumed that the adb reboot recovery command is working, which mine appears not to be).

Any help or pointers in the right direction would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Smirnofred

You need to select fastboot protocol in the menu after booting with pwr/vol buttons. Then install fastboot driver, then install TWRP. From that point the thread you linked will work.

Hi,

I have quite a similar issue with this. I flashed custom recovery and forced gapps, but now cannot flash original recovery to perform OTA update. Cannot boot into custom recovery at all.

Done a system restore so now i have lost the gapps that were pushed and cant get into recovery to flash them again :crying:

Doesn't matter if you flash the original recovery, you need to flash the original system. TWRP can do the OTA but it will fail because there are a couple of system files that were changed that fail SHA-1 checks. Don't know what version you are on or if it's a UK or US or Disney/Nick version.

smirnofred

Jan 20, 2013
aicjofs,

Thanks for the pointers! ...its most appreciated.

After checking, I do see the nabi in device manager when its in fastboot mode, but its not installed properly (it says 'Android device' but has a 'fastboot' icon with an exclamation mark under it) which would be the root of my issue I would have thought. I was certain the fastboot drivers were installed too, obviously I was wrong.

*EDIT*

Success!

I had java disabled. I also had issues with device manager switching from 'Android device' to 'Unknown device' intermittently.

I started fresh by uninstalling everything nabi/sdk/adb related. Re-installed java, sdk and adb drivers, in that order, which resulted in no conflicts or driver issues! Then when I put the nabi into 'fastboot protocol' the second menu then appeared (which it was not doing previously). I flashed the 2.3.3.0 TWRP recovery image.

Now I have some more reading to do about what image I need to put back onto the nabi.

Thank you.

*EDIT*

Thanks again.

Smirnofed.

Last edited:

aicjofs

Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
aicjofs,

After checking, I do see the nabi in device manager when its in fastboot mode, but its not installed properly (it says 'Android device' but has a 'fastboot' icon with an exclamation mark under it) which would be the root of my issue I would have thought. I was certain the fastboot drivers were installed too, obviously I was wrong.

*EDIT*

Success!

I had java disabled. I also had issues with device manager switching from 'Android device' to 'Unknown device' intermittently.

I started fresh by uninstalling everything nabi/sdk/adb related. Re-installed java, sdk and adb drivers, in that order, which resulted in no conflicts or driver issues! Then when I put the nabi into 'fastboot protocol' the second menu then appeared (which it was not doing previously). I flashed the 2.3.3.0 TWRP recovery image.

Now I have some more reading to do about what image I need to put back onto the nabi.

Thank you.

*EDIT*

Thanks again.

Smirnofed.

Somewhere in that post you linked I put a pretty good procedure for getting a UK Nabi to the latest OS, hopefully you will be up and running in no time.

Reactions: smirnofred

smirnofred

Jan 20, 2013
I'm there, finally. Using the link to the three part install you posted. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2041224&page=10 post #98

I'm now @ 2.2.2 (I think), 4.1jb, with 2.6.3.0 twrp recovery. First thing I did was make a full backup (once it was all working 100%).

I had a minor issue with SU trying to install repeatedly once I put the 2.2+ stock image (+modded ota), which sent the nabi back to <3e> recovery. But I just flashed it back to 2.6.3.0 with fastboot.

Many thanks ;0)

James5q

Nov 12, 2011
I'm there, finally. Using the link to the three part install you posted. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2041224&page=10 post #98

I'm now @ 2.2.2 (I think), 4.1jb, with 2.6.3.0 twrp recovery. First thing I did was make a full backup (once it was all working 100%).

I had a minor issue with SU trying to install repeatedly once I put the 2.2+ stock image (+modded ota), which sent the nabi back to <3e> recovery. But I just flashed it back to 2.6.3.0 with fastboot.

Many thanks ;0)

Hi Smirnofred, I have similiar issues to you, and i'm wondering of you can help. The 2.2 file from dropbox is no longer available, have you still got it? and would you kindly upload it somewhere for me if you have time. It would be much appreciated. :good:

James

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    aicjofs,

*EDIT*

Success!

Thank you.

*EDIT*

Thanks again.

Smirnofed.

Somewhere in that post you linked I put a pretty good procedure for getting a UK Nabi to the latest OS, hopefully you will be up and running in no time.