Ktoon's KT747 2/8/13 Kernel vs Task650's 2/10/13 Kernel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

berryman13

Mar 30, 2011
San Francisco
What are your guys' opinions on the performance of these two kernels? From what I've gathered it seems like KToon's kernel is meant for overclocking, but then what would one use task's for?

Task's recent update to his kernel makes me want to try it because I've been using KToon's kernel with the ktoonservative governer and row scheduler UV'ed a little bit but unlocked to 2.1GHz and have been having some pretty bad battery life in mu opinion, do you think switching to task's kernel would be better on the battery?

Well what do you guys think? :)

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Fun Fact for the day. Versus threads get shut down in no time here on XDA. ;)

P.S- Why wouldn't you just try it first before making a thread about it? Kernels take about 3 seconds to flash. Also. No one can tell you that you will get better battery life on one or the other considering all of the variables. We are all in different locations, use different apps, have different settings, and we all use our devices differently. You need to try them both out and see which one works better for YOUR device.

Last edited:

berryman13

Mar 30, 2011
San Francisco
Man why are ya giving me a hard time? You kicked me out of your thread, which I understood and respect, but then you come here and tell me the same thing you told me before and that my thread's gonna go to the bin in no time.

I'm just trying to find out what the DIFFERENCES between the kernels are, because it isn't very clear in reading the descriptions/OP's,
They wouldn't co-exist if they were exactly the same.

I'm not too interested in tweaking the hell out of my device nor do I care too much about overclocking...I just want a lot of screen time and the ability to play games and SMS with little lag.

I have tried out both kernels and didn't really notice much difference because I didn't really know what to look for.

Like, okay or example, it seems to me that your kernel is less for tweaking and isn't for overclocking (max 1.6GHz or something?) while KToons can go to 2.1.

Last edited:

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Man why are ya giving me a hard time? You kicked me out of your thread, which I understood and respect, but then you come here and tell me the same thing you told me before and that my thread's gonna go to the bin in no time.

I'm just trying to find out what the DIFFERENCES between the kernels are, because it isn't very clear in reading the descriptions/OP's,
They wouldn't co-exist if they were exactly the same.

I'm not too interested in tweaking the hell out of my device nor do I care too much about overclocking...I just want a lot of screen time and the ability to play games and SMS with little lag.

I have tried out both kernels and didn't really notice much difference because I didn't really know what to look for.

Like, okay or example, it seems to me that your kernel is less for tweaking and isn't for overclocking (max 1.6GHz or something?) while KToons can go to 2.1.

I'm not giving you are hard time. I'm just telling you the facts here. If you're not into tweaking and messing with things then this is simple and really shouldn't make a difference to you which one you use other than battery life, less lag, ect... Which no one can tell you one is better than the other for. Flash one and don't touch the settings for it and use it how you normally would for a day or two. Then do the same for the other kernel. See which one gets you the best results. Its the only way to find out. Not quite sure why you're refusing to take my advice here. Its pretty straight forward.

There's kernel source in both threads that explain in DETAIL all the DIFFERENCES between the two. It literally only takes seconds to flash and see for yourself. This shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Last edited:

gilo123

Jan 9, 2013
I think they re two of the same.Task just doesnt want KT to know he borrowed his kernel...lol jk. But seriously,they're pretty similar.KT seems better on the performance end but I never got the exceptional battery stats that ppl keep posting,IdK it may be something on my end. On the other hand, task's seemed better on my battery as I could not noticeably see my battery drain during use as I did on Kt's. Furthermore my phone does get hot really fast on task kernel,I'm guessing its cuz we use performance control and can't really play in the voltages as much.

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I think they re two of the same.Task just doesnt want KT to know he borrowed his kernel...lol jk. But seriously,they're pretty similar.KT seems better on the performance end but I never got the exceptional battery stats that ppl keep posting,IdK it may be something on my end. On the other hand, task's seemed better on my battery as I could not noticeably see my battery drain during use as I did on Kt's. Furthermore my phone does get hot really fast on task kernel,I'm guessing its cuz we use performance control and can't really play in the voltages as much.

Or all or any of that could be due to the apps your have on your device, the settings you choose, ect...

P.S- My phone has never gotten hot. Probably due to what I mentioned above. ;)

berryman13

Mar 30, 2011
San Francisco
If you're not into tweaking and messing with things then this is simple and really shouldn't make a difference to you which one you use other than battery life, less lag, ect... Flash one and don't touch the settings for it and use it how you normally would for a day or two. Then do the same for the other kernel. See which one gets you the best results. Its the only way to find out. Not quite sure why you're refusing to take my advice here. Its pretty straight forward.

There's kernel source in both threads that explain in DETAIL all the DIFFERENCES between the two. It literally only takes seconds to flash and see for yourself. This shouldn't be a big deal at all.

I have flashed both kernels. And I don't mean that I am not planning on doing ANY tweaking whatsoever, I just don't mean like messing with voltages adding or subtracting 25 at a time until my CPU crashes so I can find the under/overclock limit...that's the kind of tweaking I have no interest in trying. I'm not gonna look through he sources of both kernels, come on dude you know I'm not a dev and that level of detail is un-necessary.

Your kernel being capped at 1.6GHz probably is better on battery but I also have a sixaxis controller and like to game, does it affect 3D performance at all?

Ithey're pretty similar.KT seems better on the performance end but I never got the exceptional battery stats that ppl keep posting,IdK it may be something on my end. On the other hand, task's seemed better on my battery as I could not noticeably see my battery drain during use as I did on Kt's. Furthermore my phone does get hot really fast on task kernel,I'm guessing its cuz we use performance control and can't really play in the voltages as much.

This is the kind of posts I'm looking for in this thread. Do you personally find task's kernel's performance to be any worse than KT's? Cause you said bettery life seemed better.

Also, are the same governers and I/O schedules available between both kernels? The only settings I'm used to using is ktoonservative and row, I wouldn't really know what to do in performance control to emulate what I've done in KTweaker.

SeanHacker

Sep 7, 2010
Portland, Oregon
This is the kind of posts I'm looking for in this thread. Do you personally find task's kernel's performance to be any worse than KT's? Cause you said bettery life seemed better.

He cannot answer this question honestly. He doesn't have your device. You're not understanding. He can have the best battery life possible on my kernel but if you use it, you could have the worst battery life possible. IT'S DEVICE DEPENDENT. Will you please just do yourself a favor and take 3 seconds, flash the kernel, and see. You say you've tried them both, but you are also asking about playing games and what not with them? You would know if you had tried them dude. Same goes for the governors & schedulers. You would also know that if you had actually tried them both. I need to ask you this. Why won't you just try them and see for yourself. Are you really the type of person to flash what people tell you to your expensive device?

Look dude. I'm only trying to help you here. I'm not quite sure why you wouldn't just take my advice here. I have quite a bit of experience with this stuff and I'm trying to help you get the best experience possible. But it seems as though you think that personal opinions of others are whats best for your device when in all reality they are not. Real life testing is what will prove to be best for your device. Trust me. ;)

Last edited:

liltitiz

Aug 15, 2012
Québec
I have flashed both kernels. And I don't mean that I am not planning on doing ANY tweaking whatsoever, I just don't mean like messing with voltages adding or subtracting 25 at a time until my CPU crashes so I can find the under/overclock limit...that's the kind of tweaking I have no interest in trying. I'm not gonna look through he sources of both kernels, come on dude you know I'm not a dev and that level of detail is un-necessary.

Your kernel being capped at 1.6GHz probably is better on battery but I also have a sixaxis controller and like to game, does it affect 3D performance at all?

Also, are the same governers and I/O schedules available between both kernels? The only settings I'm used to using is ktoonservative and row, I wouldn't really know what to do in performance control to emulate what I've done in KTweaker.

What You won't have on underwear kernel vs kt747: ktoonservative gov, vibration strength control, screen off max freq control, screen off gov control, fast charge, MHz range from 96 to 2106, undervolting capabilities and adjustments to governors and schedulers.

If you don't want to undervolt or tweak anything, I recommend you use underwear kernel. It is stable fast and oc to 1674mhz is alright for any gaming and it doesn't affect 3d performance.

If you wanna use ktoonservative governor then you will have no choice but to use kt747.

But anyway, what you really need is to try both and familiarize yourself with their features.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

berryman13

Mar 30, 2011
San Francisco
What You won't have on underwear kernel vs kt747: ktoonservative gov, vibration strength control, screen off max freq control, screen off gov control, fast charge, MHz range from 96 to 2106, undervolting capabilities and adjustments to governors and schedulers.

If you don't want to undervolt or tweak anything, I recommend you use underwear kernel. It is stable fast and oc to 1674mhz is alright for any gaming and it doesn't affect 3d performance.

If you wanna use ktoonservative governor then you will have no choice but to use kt747.

But anyway, what you really need is to try both and familiarize yourself with their features.

Comprehensive list. I like it. Now I gotta figure out which gov I'm gonna use when I flash the underwear kernel.

Thanks everybody for their input, if anyone else has anything to say then please go for it!
Wiping cache + dalvik and flashing underwear kernel then fixing permissions and rebooting and gonna take a look around performance control to see whats up.

gilo123

Jan 9, 2013
Or all or any of that could be due to the apps your have on your device, the settings you choose, ect...

P.S- My phone has never gotten hot. Probably due to what I mentioned above. ;)

Ohh Thnx man. While you're here any suggestions as to how I go about fixing/finding out which apps are responsible? Also,any combinations/settings you might recommend trying with your kernel,despite the phone dependent variables and what not. Thnx )

berryman13

Mar 30, 2011
San Francisco
Running the underwear kernel today, changes frequencies min and max to the farthest it can go. Will report back with my results.

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
Sorry man, but no need to report back here as it has already been stated that each User's experience will differ upon usage, apps, personal habits, planet alignment,... Boils down to a flash and see type thing.

Thread Closed

Here is some info on Governor and I/O schedulers. Obviously it isn't going to include Ktoonservative or ROW but you get the idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clark Joseph Kent
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Sorry man, but no need to report back here as it has already been stated that each User's experience will differ upon usage, apps, personal habits, planet alignment,... Boils down to a flash and see type thing.

Thread Closed

Here is some info on Governor and I/O schedulers. Obviously it isn't going to include Ktoonservative or ROW but you get the idea.