[GUIDE][FIX] Nvidia PRISM/smartdimmer - fix screen washout after watching videos

Search This thread

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
THE PROBLEM

To save battery while playing video Tegra intelligently decreases the backlight while increasing color brightness and contrast. Because it monitors on a frame by frame basis the changes are often unnoticable. You basically end up with the same displayed image using less backlight.

Unfortunately it seems to get stuck even after you leave the video and the changes are very noticeable as the changes were specific to the video frame you just left and not your homescreen.

This also may be the cause of some ghosting issues and for some it seems to eliminate any ghosting problems for them.

MANUAL FIX
(will reset at each reboot)

In terminal -
(You may need to type "su" and press enter before entering these commands)

To turn it off

echo "0" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/enable

To change how aggressive it is (untested)

echo "#" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/aggressiveness

Note: battery life while watching videos WILL decrease if you turn it off or decrease the aggresiveness

AUTOMATIC FIX

Trickster Mod
- has the ability to disable PRISM and set it to disable on boot.

N7scripts.rar
- A collection of scripts compiled by hamdir which, in conjunction with Script Manager (available in the market) will allow you to toggle smartdimmer/PRISM on and off at will.
- You can also use script manager to toggle it at boot if you want.
- Also includes a script to disable 3D scaling which may improve 3D gaming performance (untested)

Thanks to hamdir for his pack of scripts and for convincing me to make a new post for these fixes.

Attachments

• N7scripts.rar
    435 bytes · Views: 2,584
Last edited:

player911

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 8, 2006
Cincinnati
www.SnapSiteAdmins.com
Thanks. Easier to save and flash then manually entering in these values each time I crackflash.

If the T3 can increase the color saturation and gamma while decreasing backlight, wonder if we can increase the colors while leaving the backlight alone. All of the N7s I've played with have a dull washed out look with a warm tone for whites.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:

sharp2G

Nov 8, 2011
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2
does flashing the .zip just delete the PRISM file? cuz when I manually enter the command after flashing it via CWM it doesn't allow me to any more.

"
ROM may flash stock recovery on boot? Fix?

No
Yes - Disable Recovery flash
+++ Go back +++

which reboots if you "go back" what is this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you set up the script? I have script manager and the Scrip.rar saved onto my SD card. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
Thanks. Easier to save and flash then manually entering in these values each time I crackflash.

If the T3 can increase the color saturation and gamma while decreasing backlight, wonder if we can increase the colors while leaving the backlight alone. All of the N7s I've played with have a dull washed out look with a warm tone for whites.

Messing with the kernel I haven't had any luck. You could ask Morfic. He might be able to make something happen.

Also prism increase color BRIGHTNESS for the most part (you said saturation). That's why the homescreen ends up looking washed out and bright and not oversaturated when PRISM fails to shut off.

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
does flashing the .zip just delete the PRISM file? cuz when I manually enter the command after flashing it via CWM it doesn't allow me to any more.

"
ROM may flash stock recovery on boot? Fix?

No
Yes - Disable Recovery flash
+++ Go back +++

which reboots if you "go back" what is this?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

How do you set up the script? I have script manager and the Scrip.rar saved onto my SD card. Thanks in advance!

There's no prism file. These tweaks are changing a sysfs value. There's no file. The flashable zip adds an init.d file that runs the manual command at every boot.

In your case CWM is complaining about a file that flashes stock recovery on boot and overwrites CWM. These are completely different things. Let CWM "disable recovery flash" and you'll be good to go.

hamdir

Recognized Contributor
Aug 13, 2008
Canada
twitter.com
HTC U12+
Samsung Galaxy S21
awesome post, thx!

yes this fix, completely get rid of the grey levels washout issues!!! and greatly improves the quality of the display, it will cost some battery life, but any boost to this average screen is welcome

now about ghosting it did reduce it a lot but sadly it didn't kill it, i still get the very random occasion of faint LCD ghosting

finally we really need to find out a way to fix the stupid low saturation, in particularly the greens are very low

google....these screen issues, lack of tablet UI and launcher rotation issues, makes want to smash it through the wall

Last edited:

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Thank you very much for this! While I don't own a Nexus 7, I *do* own an Asus TF700T and this problem also exists on it. On the TF700, this "mode" is active all of the time, no matter what you are doing and it is *very* noticeable and distracting, especially when watching videos (but it *is* noticeable everywhere else as well).

Disabling this "Feature" makes the problem go away. At the very least, you can enable/disable as needed now.

Thanks again!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: hamdir

Riquelme10

Aug 8, 2012
Hello from Germany,

my Nexus is unlocked and rooted

Terminal:

su
cd /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer
./enable

"Permission denied"

change user rights:

chmod 744 enable
(old settings are 644)
./enable

./enable[1]: 1: not found

so where is my fault?

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
Hello from Germany,

my Nexus is unlocked and rooted

Terminal:

su
cd /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer
./enable

"Permission denied"

change user rights:

chmod 744 enable
(old settings are 644)
./enable

./enable[1]: 1: not found

so where is my fault?

You do not "run" the "enable" file. You need to do this:

or
echo "0" > enable (if you are already in that dir).

That will disable the SMartDimmer "feature". Echoing a "1" will re-enable it. I have not noticed any battery life difference....

Metallice

Jun 24, 2010
yes its an LCD battery saving feature and so disabling it will definitely reduce battery life

choose between battery life or quality display :)

Yes as said in the OP smart dimmer analyzes the video frames and determines whether it can lower the backlight while increasing the color brightness and maintain almost the same image. Lower backlight = better battery life.

Ravynmagi

Nov 2, 2010
After I turned off the dimmer, the screen got a little brighter, so I manually turned down my normal 40% brightness to 30% brightness. So in the end I don't think I'm losing any battery life at all.

jtrosky

May 8, 2008
After I turned off the dimmer, the screen got a little brighter, so I manually turned down my normal 40% brightness to 30% brightness. So in the end I don't think I'm losing any battery life at all.

I agree - I think any battery life reduction will be *very* minor for most people... I certainly haven't noticed any difference...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    THE PROBLEM

To save battery while playing video Tegra intelligently decreases the backlight while increasing color brightness and contrast. Because it monitors on a frame by frame basis the changes are often unnoticable. You basically end up with the same displayed image using less backlight.

Unfortunately it seems to get stuck even after you leave the video and the changes are very noticeable as the changes were specific to the video frame you just left and not your homescreen.

This also may be the cause of some ghosting issues and for some it seems to eliminate any ghosting problems for them.

MANUAL FIX
    (will reset at each reboot)

In terminal -
    (You may need to type "su" and press enter before entering these commands)

To turn it off

To change how aggressive it is (untested)

echo "#" > /sys/devices/tegradc.0/smartdimmer/aggressiveness

Note: battery life while watching videos WILL decrease if you turn it off or decrease the aggresiveness

AUTOMATIC FIX

Trickster Mod
    - has the ability to disable PRISM and set it to disable on boot.

N7scripts.rar
    - A collection of scripts compiled by hamdir which, in conjunction with Script Manager (available in the market) will allow you to toggle smartdimmer/PRISM on and off at will.
    - You can also use script manager to toggle it at boot if you want.
    - Also includes a script to disable 3D scaling which may improve 3D gaming performance (untested)

Thanks to hamdir for his pack of scripts and for convincing me to make a new post for these fixes.
    I may use this for other sysfs tweaks... mine for now.
    NVidia Tegra PRISM Toggle

This should make it easier to enable/disable it : market link
    Thank you this fix made me to look at my nexus 7 too keep it and not to post it on craiglist. Thanx

---------- Post added at 06:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 AM ----------

Its just why can't this be included in the ROM's? Or maybe people don't know about this trick? I applied it and it made my screen 10 times sharper right away.

Because the dimmer prism thing is supposed to save battery :D
    And its easy to enable/disable
    I use trickster mod for this, love that app it does basically everything <3
    Thank you very much for this! While I don't own a Nexus 7, I *do* own an Asus TF700T and this problem also exists on it. On the TF700, this "mode" is active all of the time, no matter what you are doing and it is *very* noticeable and distracting, especially when watching videos (but it *is* noticeable everywhere else as well).

Disabling this "Feature" makes the problem go away. At the very least, you can enable/disable as needed now.

Thanks again!