Rear Glass separating from frame. Warranty repair.

Search This thread

ZPaul2Fresh8

Mar 23, 2012
Millbury, OH
My rear glass is starting to separate from the frame in the top right corner.

Has anyone even heard of this problem on this phone?

Talked to Xperia Care today and it's covered under warranty but it's going to be a 14 working day turn around!

They are based in Texas, but since my phone originated from Hong Kong then it may take longer if parts differ.

It's not noticeable in the picture too bad but it's definitely coming apart because I feel the edge of the glass on my hand. Also it goes back in if I push it in but comes out eventually in a short amount of time...

Attachments

• 1409009034445.jpg
    1409009034445.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 981

Envious_Data

Oct 12, 2012
Imagination
enviousmedia.design

Talked to Xperia Care today and it's covered under warranty but it's going to be a 14 working day turn around!

They are based in Texas, but since my phone originated from Hong Kong then it may take longer if parts differ.

It's not noticeable in the picture too bad but it's definitely coming apart because I feel the edge of the glass on my hand. Also it goes back in if I push it in but comes out eventually in a short amount of time...

its a known issue, its quite common actualy, i think if you look around some threads you will see alot of posts from unique users

edit- this should be covered by warrenty, Sony Customer Service Japan can conferm for this and same goes with Sony C-Service UK and also USA

Last edited:

NetSkill

Aug 3, 2011
Slovakia
I actually have the same problem on my Z2 , i previously owned the Xperia Z where i was experiencing same issue, and yes is covered under warranty....glass becomes unglued and separating from frame because NFC pins pushing the glass out, and phone generating heat during usage and this way the adhesive sticker inside becomes melt and glass starts to go out...this is a known issue even Sony knows about. I was able to hold 5 different Z2s and every one had the same issue, same area, different batch numbers.
The fifth one was yesterday in Orange ( operator) i dont know how to cerrectly call this showpiece? I mean the place where you can grap the phone and play with it... I noticed this problem on this phone....

I was analyzing this problem and i found that first area where it starts to come off is where the big flap is, thats the place where NFC pins are, and it continue to ungluing to the corner exactly like it is on your photo....Come on Sony!! Z1 was proof from this becasue of the middle frame and, this way nothing is pushing the glass out and also adhesive sticker is more wider.... I know what i am talking about i am gsm mechanic i was assembling both devices. But i dont know if you guys understand my English

Night Elve

Aug 12, 2014
I was analyzing this problem and i found that first area where it starts to come off is where the big flap is, thats the place where NFC pins are, and it continue to ungluing to the corner exactly like it is on your photo....Come on Sony!! Z1 was proof from this becasue of the middle frame and, this way nothing is pushing the glass out and also adhesive sticker is more wider.... I know what i am talking about i am gsm mechanic i was assembling both devices. But i dont know if you guys understand my English

You are pretty much right about that. My Z2 seems to have this problem in this particular area, I did not return the unit because I assume this eventually happens to all Z2.

Same thing I suffered with my old Z, I still don't understand why Sony does not come up with a better solution than gluing everything together.

NetSkill

Aug 3, 2011
Slovakia
I saw xperia z3 leaded pictures and from what seen i can say that z3 got fixed this issue because of different placement of NFC pins they paced them almost in the middle of the motherboard (same as z1) logically its a way better placement in the middle because its more dificult for those pins to lift both sides and top of the glass together at the same time than only right side in z / z2... Btw tomorrow i am going to repair another z2 customer reported this issue...

If you want you can go for warranty repair but if you are heavy gamer like me or doing something that heating up the device expect the same thing to happen in less than month.... The adhesive on the glass is really strong but after you heat up the glass, its not so strong then.... Its better to put locktide power flex(super glue) together with adhesive sticker and glue it this way..yeah then its almost impossible to get the glass off as the locktide is less,almost not sensitive to heat. I repaired mine z2 this way,like i sad i am gamer my phone is hot everyday and everithing is okayy

Night Elve

Aug 12, 2014
Edith

I saw xperia z3 leaded pictures and from what seen i can say that z3 got fixed this issue because of different placement of NFC pins they paced them almost in the middle of the motherboard (same as z1) logically its a way better placement in the middle because its more dificult for those pins to lift both sides and top of the glass together at the same time than only right side in z / z2... Btw tomorrow i am going to repair another z2 customer reported this issue...

If you want you can go for warranty repair but if you are heavy gamer like me or doing something that heating up the device expect the same thing to happen in less than month.... The adhesive on the glass is really strong but after you heat up the glass, its not so strong then.... Its better to put locktide power flex(super glue) together with adhesive sticker and glue it this way..yeah then its almost impossible to get the glass off as the locktide is less,almost not sensitive to heat. I repaired mine z2 this way,like i sad i am gamer my phone is hot everyday and everithing is okayy

Well I run 3 or 4 times per week and I use Nike+ so the phone gets pretty hot, and since I really don't have the skills to open my phone and glued again I will just ignore this issue (Hopefully is a minor issue) and I'm going to hope Sony has all this fixed by the time Z4 is released.

Last edited:

Tsais

Jun 20, 2011

I had my phone mostly in Sony's charge dock for the last couple of months, using it as a wifi hotspot. When I took it out the other day, I thought the back seemed to bulge a bit. I only had it for ~6 months or so, and I remember thinking that the battery couldn't have gone bad already - since its known that bad batteries start to bulge...

Anyway, took it out of the charger again today to leave the house with it and found that the rear "glass" has separated from the frame by a lot and there's a 3mm gap to the frame on one side.

1) the back seems more flexible than glass would normally be? I think its not actually glass... (I know they build different models for different regions - this was purchased in Hong Kong)
2) if I push the edges of the back to the frame and hold a ruler to the back in either direction, there's a clear bulge forcing the back away from the phone.
3) what besides the battery in a phone can expand to the extent that it will push the rear panel off the phone?

The phone has never been dropped, its in absolutely new condition, aside from this annoying failure to stay together...
Thoughts of going back to Samsung with their swappable batteries are hard to suppress...

NJ72

Feb 17, 2012
Wantage
UK Warranty Refusing Repair

Hey Guys,

I am having the same issue with my Z2, it's about 8 months old. I sent it off last week and this week I was quoted £350 for a BRAND NEW DEVICE! :eek:

I phoned them and asked why and they said that they have deemed it to be accidental damage! They are escalating it currently but I fail to see how it COULD be accidental damage?! I have never dropped the phone or anything...

Can someone on here please confirm that their device was repaired under warranty? If so did you get a receipt/ invoice or anything with it? I would very much appreciate any help with getting Sony to fix my damn phone...

Dan

mDuban

Aug 1, 2015
Almost same problem

I just got this Z2 since around 2 months, and just spotted that the rear glass is popping out of the frame. The device international and not under warranty, so will try to get back to Amazon. Any insights?

Pic: facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153081797391243&set=gm.898501176853924&type=1&theater

mr.loverlover

Jun 23, 2014
My friend had also such a problem. He decided to open the device by himself and then it cracked so go for warranty.

Sent from Xperia Z2
Luckily not from an iPhone = Yesterdays technology at tomorrows prices

Muflafla

Jun 24, 2016
i have an experia z3 and the backglass and te frond glas got loose dindt get it fixed yet, i think its because the phone gets prity damn hot somtimes and becuase of the heat te glue wil meld and your screen and backcover wil come of and sony still needs to fix this problem