[Q] Failed firmware update on SM-P605

Search This thread

daveb21

Apr 18, 2014
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice here with my newly purchased Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (P605).

I'm in Australia and I bought it from what I thought was a reseller with the local version but when the device turned up it had an international power plug and what looks to be a Hong Kong ROM.

So first thing I did was try and flash it with the Australian unbranded firmware and every time Odin fails with an FAIL! (Size) error. I've tried both the unbranded and the Telstra firmware with no luck. The only way I could get the device back to a working state was by installing the Taiwan ROM (I expect the Hong Kong ROM may have worked too).

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to resolve this? Having the Chinese keyboard pop up frequently when I connect my bluetooth keyboard is pretty annoying. I've read some stuff about this perhaps being related to partitioning?

Other options I'm looking at are flashing the device with the UK firmware and even the South Korean 4.4.2 firmware. I've got a Galaxy S5 with 4.4.2 and I think it is much nicer than 4.3 - would be good to standardise the OS on both as the little inconsistencies are a bit annoying.

Appreciate any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Dave

ultramag69

Nov 6, 2007
Waratah
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice here with my newly purchased Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition (P605).

I'm in Australia and I bought it from what I thought was a reseller with the local version but when the device turned up it had an international power plug and what looks to be a Hong Kong ROM.

So first thing I did was try and flash it with the Australian unbranded firmware and every time Odin fails with an FAIL! (Size) error. I've tried both the unbranded and the Telstra firmware with no luck. The only way I could get the device back to a working state was by installing the Taiwan ROM (I expect the Hong Kong ROM may have worked too).

Anyone got any suggestions as to how to resolve this? Having the Chinese keyboard pop up frequently when I connect my bluetooth keyboard is pretty annoying. I've read some stuff about this perhaps being related to partitioning?

Other options I'm looking at are flashing the device with the UK firmware and even the South Korean 4.4.2 firmware. I've got a Galaxy S5 with 4.4.2 and I think it is much nicer than 4.3 - would be good to standardise the OS on both as the little inconsistencies are a bit annoying.

Appreciate any thoughts and thanks in advance.

Dave

DON'T flash the Korean KK firmware... When looking for a rom only pick P605 rom, the Korean rom is a different model number.. It will brick your device.
Try the UK rom (BTU). You should be able to flash just about any P605 rom (nothing with with letters behind) but the Oz rom is weird... I'm in same boat, got the Hong Kong 32gb P605 but can't flash Oz rom. Not gonna sweat it though as there are a bunch of other roms out there with a release of KK not far off, the nordish Notes just got updated to KK on the 29th...
Shouldn't be too long...

daveb21

Apr 18, 2014
4.4.2 installed

DON'T flash the Korean KK firmware... When looking for a rom only pick P605 rom, the Korean rom is a different model number.. It will brick your device.
Try the UK rom (BTU). You should be able to flash just about any P605 rom (nothing with with letters behind) but the Oz rom is weird... I'm in same boat, got the Hong Kong 32gb P605 but can't flash Oz rom. Not gonna sweat it though as there are a bunch of other roms out there with a release of KK not far off, the nordish Notes just got updated to KK on the 29th...
Shouldn't be too long...

Not to worry - I've installed 4.4.2 NEE from the instructions at

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2766394&page=12

Only one problem though - the left key on the Galaxy S5 brings up the app list while on the Note 10.1 2014 it brings up the settings menu (same behaviour as my S4). I don't care either way really but some consistency would be nice!! Dunno how many times already I've pushed the left button on the Note looking for the app list.