[Q] upgrade procedure to KK rom

Search This thread

desheh

Jan 15, 2010
Hey there,

I'm currently on Newt's rom version 2.0 (Android 4.1.2) on my DNA.

From what I can tell, there are some pretty decent roms out there now.

I'd like some help with understanding which is the best rom available (least known bugs such as voip issue or wifi trobule). Had my eye on santod's NuSense. Is the kernel replacement (NuKernel) stable and recommended?

And besides that, I'd love it if someone could help me understand what is the exact procedure I need to go through when upgrading (radio, hboot, etc.).

And besides that, what free backup app do you recommend? TB is great but restoring with the free version is quite frustrating..

Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using XDA Free mobile app

duffman452001

Nov 26, 2009
Hey there,

I'm currently on Newt's rom version 2.0 (Android 4.1.2) on my DNA.

From what I can tell, there are some pretty decent roms out there now.

I'd like some help with understanding which is the best rom available (least known bugs such as voip issue or wifi trobule). Had my eye on santod's NuSense. Is the kernel replacement (NuKernel) stable and recommended?

And besides that, I'd love it if someone could help me understand what is the exact procedure I need to go through when upgrading (radio, hboot, etc.).

And besides that, what free backup app do you recommend? TB is great but restoring with the free version is quite frustrating..

Thanks a bunch!

Honestly I had been going from rom to rom, and just restoring from my nandroid backups using nandroid manager. I had been running CM11, but with older radios and firmware. I decided it was time to fully wipe and start fresh, while also upgrading radios and firmware.

First I copied all my data and pictures onto my computer. Next I ran the 3.06 RUU to get me somewhat up to date. Then I ran the KK firmware update zip that santod had in his stock KK thread. After that I installed his GPE edition rom to try it out. It was missing some features I liked in CM11 so I decided to wipe and go back to CM. I installed that, along with crpalmers kernel and the motox KK dalvik libs for CM11. Since then I would say my phone is running better than ever. More battery life, faster, its just nice. I have 0 issues with CM11, no problems at all with GPS or wifi.

TL DR might be best to copy data off and RUU, start fresh. I recommend CM11, especially if you arent the biggest fan of Sense. For backups I just do a backup from within CWM, and restore using nandroid manager

desheh

Jan 15, 2010
Well actually I really like sense..

And about the backup I was referring to something similar to TB (apps and such)..

But thanks anyways :)

desheh

Jan 15, 2010
coolness..

Well, I think I'm to upgrade to @santod040 rom..
Does WiFi/VoIP work correctly? Any other known issues?

So if I understand correctly, the procedure is as follows:
1. Install TWRP 2.7.0.0 - done
2. Perform Nandroid backup - done
3. upgrade hboot and radio to latest version
4. wipe data+cache
5. flash ROM
6. flash kernel (NuKernel?)
7. boot rom
8. recover data with Nandroid Manager

did I miss anything?

thanks alot!

Last edited:

duffman452001

Nov 26, 2009
coolness..

Well, I think I'm to upgrade to @santod040 rom..
Does WiFi/VoIP work correctly? Any other known issues?

So if I understand correctly, the procedure is as follows:
1. Install TWRP 2.7.0.0 - done
2. Perform Nandroid backup - done
3. upgrade hboot and radio to latest version
4. wipe data+cache
5. flash ROM
6. flash kernel (NuKernel?)
7. boot rom
8. recover data with Nandroid Manager

did I miss anything?

thanks alot!

Format /system as well before you install the ROM. Other than that, you should be golden. Worst comes to worst you can just restore, but you should be fine I've done pretty much this exact same thing several times without issue. Wifi works but Im not sure about VOIP (never used it)