[Mini Pro][SK17] Hardware Keyboard FIX

Search This thread

Thunderbolt8

Dec 29, 2011
is it actually possible to make a small batch file for those 3 files and then run it with root explorer? or doesnt it work on linux like that?

feed3

Nov 17, 2011
The Land of Hornbill...
If your phone is rooted, just change the keyprint.xml in /system/usr/keyboard-config/ using root explorer built in text editor.

<script name="latin" keylayout="PUT YOUR LAYOUT HERE" />

check the name of which layout you want to use in /system/usr/keyboard-config/layouts/

backup the original file(s), just in case.
Tested in SK17i with hw keyboard layout is bopomofo, 4.0.2.A.0.62.

nicom.mt

Jul 3, 2011
I've tried it, but I didn't get it. Will this work on the new FXP rom (105)?? It's just that it'd be the best rom if its' keyboard worked...

Snoopo

Oct 19, 2010
I've tried it, but I didn't get it. Will this work on the new FXP rom (105)?? It's just that it'd be the best rom if its' keyboard worked...

In 105 they forgot to implement the "KeyboardChanger.apk". You find it in FXP 104. Fetch it and install it...
then: choose your language - it will reboot after save.
after reboot choose language AGAIN - it will reboot again after save
now use keyboard ;)

I currently don't have the apk available. write me PM if you need it, but I guess you'r faster by downloading fxp104 and fetching it there ;)

nicom.mt

Jul 3, 2011
In 105 they forgot to implement the "KeyboardChanger.apk". You find it in FXP 104. Fetch it and install it...
then: choose your language - it will reboot after save.
after reboot choose language AGAIN - it will reboot again after save
now use keyboard ;)

I currently don't have the apk available. write me PM if you need it, but I guess you'r faster by downloading fxp104 and fetching it there ;)

Yeah, but I don't know where to download that rom (now I'm only able to download FXP 105). So please, give me your apk. Thanks :)

Edit:
I could extract the keyboard changer from a 7.1 rom, let's see if it runs...

Edit:
No, it doesn't run. If you can, please, upload the apk...

Last edited:

Ninoh-FOX

May 24, 2009
Yeaaaah, great work, it worked perfecty in my phone with root explorer. Thank (for vodafone spanish phone the keyboard type is qwerty-br)

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium

ark4k33

Jun 21, 2009
Please help me. My keyboard has arabic letters on it. I don't exactly which version it is. My phone is rooted. I'm confused with the process shown above. can you put screen shots or a video. it is not working for me.. HELP

dryhte

Nov 8, 2010
Thanks DL, for some reason I missed this thread earlier on, and it took me ages to find it now. However, the fix is so easy... I'll be sure to bookmark this thread for next time I download a generic ROM instead of a localized one. Thanks again!

Tommixoft

Aug 12, 2011
I think there is much easier way of doing this.

Why not use Rootexplorer? just open /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml and instead of qwerty you can write the layout file's name that suites your keyboard and save. that's it, no regex..no other stuff. just open file change text and save.

But not all ROMs have keyboard-config dir, some devs thinks that all people in the world have the same layout so they deletes that folder.
If you are one of those who got rom without it and you need to change layout - just take that folder from rom that has that folder (the one which worked for you) put it in system\usr give good permissions (folders have to have the same perm as other folders in that dir. Files have to have the same perms as other files in usr dir. and it will work after reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffjoaquin22

hazard_puppet

Mar 27, 2012
I think there is much easier way of doing this.

Why not use Rootexplorer? just open /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml and instead of qwerty you can write the layout file's name that suites your keyboard and save. that's it, no regex..no other stuff. just open file change text and save.

But not all ROMs have keyboard-config dir, some devs thinks that all people in the world have the same layout so they deletes that folder.
If you are one of those who got rom without it and you need to change layout - just take that folder from rom that has that folder (the one which worked for you) put it in system\usr give good permissions (folders have to have the same perm as other folders in that dir. Files have to have the same perms as other files in usr dir. and it will work after reboot.

:eek:

glococo

Mar 2, 2008
Yes it does, that's what I used it for.

Im with ICS oficcial 4.1
and the keyboard work only one initial key and then stop working. Weird keyboard.

I wiped everything, reinstalled the rom with the kernel. Changed the keyboard-configs and nothing-

Had someone the same problem ???

Press one key (this one work) and the second stop working !?:mad::eek:

lilpac1987

Nov 13, 2010
Hello,
I got a suprise for all who need to change the Keyboard-layout!!
I wrote an Android App for change the Keyboard-layout with only two clicks!

All credits goes to DoomLord and K4!

I'm not responsible if you brick your device or something else!!
You need Root to using this App!!

It`s only work once and only if you flash a new Rom

If I got time I will work on it!!

Here you can download it!
http://www.slingfile.com/file/UQhvcjEjKP

Enjoy

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    since there is no separate device subforum i am posting this here as the device shares same kernel sources as other Xperia 2011 devices (also the chipset is the same Qualcomm MSM8255) [once the device gets its own sub-forums this will be shifted there]

some of users seem to be facing problems when using firmware of different region on ur Mini Pro, as the keyboard layout is getting changed...

so here is a fix for that...

thanks to easycure1974 for helping out with testing! and D4rKn3sSyS for helping me with identifying files & KB layout codes ;)

thanks to easycure1974 for ur generous donation!

[ requirements ]

• Rooted Xperia Mini Pro
    • Busybox installed
    • working adb or terminal emulator app

[ how to ]

commands to be executed in adb shell or terminal emulator

1. enter in superuser mode
      Code:
      su

2. mount system as RW:
      Code:
      busybox mount -o remount,rw /system

3. take backup of the file [warning ONLY RUN THIS ONCE]
      Code:
      busybox cp /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml.backup
    4. following is a list of available keyboard layouts:
      Code:
      qwertz
      qwerty-en
      azerty
      qwerty-br
      qwerty-no-dk
      qwerty-se-fi
      latin-on-arabic
      latin-on-arabic-azerty
      latin-on-bopomofo
      latin-on-cyrillic
      latin-on-greek
      latin-on-hebrew
      latin-on-korean
      latin-on-pinyin
      latin-on-thai

now make note of the version u need...

5. now change to ur keyboard region (replace YOURREGIONLANG with the single code from above)
      Code:
      busybox sed -i 's/qwerty-en/YOURREGIONLANG/g' /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml
      e.g.: if u want to change the KB layout to Swedish then u need to execute the following:
      busybox sed -i 's/qwerty-en/qwerty-se-fi/g' /system/usr/keyboard-config/keyprint.xml

6. and now reboot!

7. thats it enjoy ur original HW KB layout!

icon8.gif

enjoy!
    What should be used for the Spanish keyboard (sk17i)?
    You can check the images here, for the different keyboard layouts:
    http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/...-pro-and-xperia-mini-pro-keyboards/#more-5361
    If you use FXP CM9, can you choose "QWERTY-Portuguese/Catalan" for "Portuguese/Catalan" and "QWERTY" for "QWERTY".
    i just now found this thread. if it is still needed this rommanager should also work on mini pro (sk17 make sure build.prop holds this device name). goto settings tab and click on change hw keyboard layout.

you will need busybox on your device in order to make it work.
    thank you very much for the posting! I have just one question:

how can I root it??? Gingerbreak doesnt seem to work ;)

Check this out
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=16620244#post16620244

btw, if you guys tell me what's on ro.product.model, maybe I can mod a little ROM Manager, so you can change Layout with it :)

EDIT: It's higly possible that ro.product.model returns SK17i, so ill ask to Slade for release an version that can also change layout for this device, anyway, if some user with mini pro can tell me what it's on that line, please PM!.
    I found myself !

In /system/usr/keylayout, you should find a file named pm8058-keypad.kl

Inside it, you have the relation between number key and letter which will be displayed on screen. I just have changed Q <=> A, W <=> Z for key 16 and 17 and key 30 and 44.
    And it works !
    This is really amazing, I think !