Extreme measures for better battery life

Search This thread

jask05

Aug 3, 2011
Madrid
www.zemula.net
Hi everybody

Is it common that I charge the phone to 100% and when I go to sleep lost 10% every night (8 or 7 hours)?

I disable wifi, 3g and bright screen is minimun

Thanks and sorry for my bad english

PD: I use the last Turkbeyrom (v29.2) and the kernel siyah v2.4.1

polobreaka

Sep 29, 2007
Huntington Beach, CA
I lose 0.5% per hour with 6 hour idle. this was tested last night.

I have at gs2 running task650's icsd out v5 tom with entropy dd kernel (12/8).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

mlody_q

Mar 9, 2011
Hello. I have Desire Z, and before i had X10 mini pro. I always use only one screen in launcher and only standard 5 apps in every launcher. no widgets. no sync. 2g, no BT, few sms per day, about 1-2h music, 1h on web through wifi, 1h of calling, and battery life is good. about 2-3 days :).

tuesdaydev

Aug 12, 2011
Hi, I use appquarantine to block all the apps that keeps going wild while I'm not using them (gmaps for example). Don't know if it's effective but I'll tell you in a couple of days (I'm using slidescreen pro as a launcher so no widgets)

Reactions: jankoboys6

Moscow Desire

Retired Senior Moderator
Hello. I have Desire Z, and before i had X10 mini pro. I always use only one screen in launcher and only standard 5 apps in every launcher. no widgets. no sync. 2g, no BT, few sms per day, about 1-2h music, 1h on web through wifi, 1h of calling, and battery life is good. about 2-3 days :).

And this, my friends, is a reasonable duration, upon normal use, on a normal phone. Without stupid crap applied, or utterly stupid things deleted or stopped.

If you're a game player, or a film player, get a tab. You'll find much longer life. If you live on FB, get a tab. If you want to send sms 500 times each day... guess what? Move to russia, and get a 9$ unlimited access for your tab.

This'll keep your stupid battery power to a minimum. And you'll still be alive after a few days...

Geeze... the crappola that occupies space on these servers.... And the Mods, started this crap.

"Ohhhh... feed the mindless sheep, for they are stupid, and know not what they do"...

Happy people?

Last edited:

urbanjas

Apr 1, 2009
North Vancouver, BC
And this, my friends, is a reasonable duration, upon normal use, on a normal phone. Without stupid crap applied, or utterly stupid things deleted or stopped.

If you're a game player, or a film player, get a tab. You'll find much longer life. If you live on FB, get a tab. If you want to send sms 500 times each day... guess what? Move to russia, and get a 9$ unlimited access for your tab.

This'll keep your stupid battery power to a minimum. And you'll still be alive after a few days...

Geeze... the crappola that occupies space on these servers.... And the Mods, started this crap.

"Ohhhh... feed the mindless sheep, for they are stupid, and know not what they do"...

Happy people?

Agreed! Although I wouldn't mind if they did turn all there crap off so they weren't able to access forums to figure out how to disable an android.
I'm waiting for the guy who comes along and starts the thread..."Solution found for 0% battery drain." or "Found the button that keeps phone charged 100% forever"

jankoboys6

Apr 21, 2008
The real challenge is to keep the phone as useful as it could be + save the battery life.

I use a darker theme (to be precise ICS theme for CM7), wallpaper and use minimal brightens. I don't use task killers (they use up quite more BL if on) or clean cache constantly. Use only widget that I really need. Usually my device holds form 1 to 2 days, 3 days is maximum if I almost don't use it.

Why shouldn't use widgets of things that we check a couple of times per day to save BL? Will it really help to save BL if we would like 20-30 times per day open the app and slide in the menus to get the info we need? Only consider the longer screen up time which is the biggest battery consumer. The homescreen should be used the way you can do all sorts of things in as much shorter time as possible. I think that a reasonable use of the homescreen can save up BL as much as it can an extreme use (or even more) like you described MartyLK

Hi, I use appquarantine to block all the apps that keeps going wild while I'm not using them (gmaps for example). Don't know if it's effective but I'll tell you in a couple of days (I'm using slidescreen pro as a launcher so no widgets)

Thank you for the info on Slide Screen Pro (I found only it's homepage. Can't find it on the market though). I'll make sure to check it out since I believe it's the thing I would love to use + save up BL. It's funny that this app actually reminds me on the homescreen of my old HP iPaq 100 series with Windows Mobile 6.0 :)

Edit: Unfortunately Slide Screen Pro has somehow stopped developing that's why it's not on the market anymore :/. Thanks anyways ^_^

Last edited:

streinjer

Jun 28, 2010
Just by using XDA app kills my batt..just charged to 100..after 10 mins of xda..down to 96.smh im out!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using XDA App

nir36

Retired Moderator
Dec 5, 2007
Jerusalem
www.sq-web.com
The thing is, that battery consumption should be minimal AS LONG AS it doesn't make our devices unusable. So - unlike some people - I'm not willing to disable EVERYTHING to gain 3 more hours of usage.

I have an HD2.. with a regular 1230mAh battery.

I use android alarms all the time so I keep TypoClock on my homescreen all the time. I also use the calendar and tasks.. so I have pure calendar on. I have 10 icons of my most used apps (along with the lower shortcut bar in launcher pro) and I read tons of RSS articles so I have Scrollable News Widget (which is AMAZING, btw).

What I am doing, is maximize battery life in a different way.
I use Tasker to do most of the job for me. I have like 20 profiles..

I can also assure you that putting on a black theme instead of white one will NOT help your battery life. It will kill it. The lighting - as far as I know - has nothing to do with the color of your background. A white background will only help you see better since you need less light to see things since it returns most of it. A black background will swallow more light and you will have to use higher brightness.

I'll try to algorithm-ize everything (this is NOT what I use in tasker.. it's only a logical array of what's actually going on).

1. Data
Code:
If "WiFi Available" And Not "Dead Hours" Then
     Enable "WiFi" & Disable "Mobile Data"
Else
     If "Mobile Data" is Required Then
          If Not "Signal Strength" = Very Low
               Enable "Mobile Data"
          End If
     Else
          While "Dead Hours"
               Disable "Mobile Data"
               Disable "WiFi"
     End If
End If

2. Bluetooth
Code:
If "Bluetooth" is Required Then
     Enable "Bluetooth"
Else
     Disable "Bluetooth"
End If

3. GPS
Code:
If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
     "GPS" = On
Else
     "GPS" = Off
End If

4. Brightness
Code:
If "Alarm" = On Then
     "Screen Brightness" = 10
Else If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
     "Screen Brightness" = Auto
Else
     Use "Brightness Motion Pro" (for fast manual control)
End If

5.Auto-Sync
Code:
While "Dead Hours"
     Disable Auto-Sync

6. USE A WATCH! How many times a day do you turn your display on to look at the time? You're not only waking up the screen. You're interrupting sleep mode.

7. Data sync. I will not get into it too much as every person uses a different set of applications. The idea is, that you need to learn what's important to you and at what frequency and set the polling interval to as low as possible or to not at all.
For instance, I poll my work mail every 15 mins instead of using push and it's a battery saver.

8. Use "Current Widget". You will learn how to act accordingly.

9. If you're not a market addict, use wifi only for updates. Using mobile data for downloads is MUCH worse a battery eater than downloading thru wifi.

10. Use MORE apps which SHORTEN your usage - LESS apps which you do not use.
When you spend more time with your display on (which is, of course, the WORST battery killer) you will need to recharge more. I use Homescreen Icons, Launcher Pro's shortcut bar and "Wave Launcher" to minimize the need to look for apps in my drawer and I use SwipePad to call my favs instead of having to look for them in my contacts app. I also use Delayed Lock so that I don't have to unlock my phone every time when i'm in a familiar place. Idle apps will hardly consume battery - and these apps are 99% idle.

Some apps which you're not using might require background sync/whatever...

11. Minimize SD Card usage.
You don't have to stop listening to music if that's your thing. What you CAN do, is move as less apps as possible to your sdcard. SD access consumes more battery (if i'm not mistaken) than nand access.

12. Disable as many "less important (to you) features" as possible, in settings.
Disabling haptic feedback and other vibration-using features will help a lot. Disabling animations.. will help less, but still help.

13. Volume
Lowering the Volume of ringtones and notifications in quieter places will consume less battery. For instance - I use:

Code:
While "Location" = "Home" || "GF's Place" || ...
     If Not "Alarm Volume" Then
          "Volume" = 30%-

14. Last thing. Some of you probably turn it on to see if something has changed in the last 22 seconds (IT DIDN'T!) or to click the app drawer, roll thru the apps, and turn the screen off again. Stop that. It's stupid. It doesn't even have anything to do with your battery life.. it's stupid regardless of that :)

You're invited to pm me if you want some help with setting up tasker.

cheers.

Last edited:

jfriend33

Oct 7, 2010
Illinois
You may want to try using the app Screen Filter. I think it's great because it let's you reduce your displays brightness by a percentage in addition to using the automatic sensor.

I'd also suggest you use Screebl. That way anytime your phone isn't being used the screen will shut off immediately.

Reactions: squishy506

norbee007

Jun 27, 2009
Budapest
I have LG optimus 2x with CM7 nightly 204 with vorkkernel. Yesterday i was on an excursion in Wien and I watched 6 hours of series with 20% of brightness on 600 mhz, then i was using gps all day (the effective navigation was only 3 hours), i was telephoning half an hour. No wifi, no 3g, juice defender was on balanced.
My battery fully depleted in 15 hours. I did not thouch the homescreen.
I think this is quite good battery time. :)

jankoboys6

Apr 21, 2008
Best solution is to use an solar powered recharger or turn off the damn thing :p
Turning it off is the extremest way to save BL I've ever seen XD

jask05

Aug 3, 2011
Madrid
www.zemula.net
I'm using the app CPU Tuner for a while now. You can set it to automatically disable auto-sync, wireless connections, and underclock you device when the screen is off, or when the battery is below a certain level.

It has many options, very useful!

Do you think that is the best way to save battery ?
I'm using and testing differentes kernels to get the best for me.

Bye

blue_algae

May 19, 2010
mytouch 4g battery life

I have a t-mobile mytouch 4g and the battery is pathetic, well at least before. here's my current setup:

1. disable auto brightness and instead, use the power widget and turn up display brightness one level up. when checked at display settings, it's about below 20% brightness. it's more than enough brightness for me to use under the sun and indoors. and it's quite easy to adjust incase I need to --just hit home and use the power widget.
2. I connect to wifi for data 100% of the time. I use a mobile hotspot (mifi) for data connection when outside the house/office or when commuting. at work and at home, I use wifi and I never turn it off so it will automatically connect when I reach home or the office. this gives another huge improvement on my battery life while staying connected all the time.
3. I exclusively use GSM (2G) only. not auto, not 3G only. this is because I don't need 3G since the phone now only handles sms/calls. all data are handled by wifi which is a huge battery saver.
4. set Go Weather widget to update every 6 hours and disable FB sync.

with these settings, I can get through 24 hours before battery indicator turns red. just thought I'd share my settings. :)

EDIT: oh, and I only enable GPS in the settings menu when I use google maps and navigation. else, it's disabled.

Last edited:
I just want to say that on the X2 I have noticed my phone stays in sleep mode longer ((screen off and idle...battery graph shows less awake time)) when I have the setting "use network provided time/date" turned OFF. I have noticed better battery life due to this.
Just wanted to add this in hopes others will notice better battery from this simple tip

sonicfreak360

Aug 19, 2010
I have some tips for better battery life that I have been using for a long time now. First, don't install any programs automatically toggle wifi, gps, bluetooth, etc. Do it manually, it's more precise and saves ram usage (if you care about that)

Basically, the best way to have a long lasting battery is to do everything manually! That includes auto brightness, I suggest turning it off!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The thing is, that battery consumption should be minimal AS LONG AS it doesn't make our devices unusable. So - unlike some people - I'm not willing to disable EVERYTHING to gain 3 more hours of usage.

I have an HD2.. with a regular 1230mAh battery.

I use android alarms all the time so I keep TypoClock on my homescreen all the time. I also use the calendar and tasks.. so I have pure calendar on. I have 10 icons of my most used apps (along with the lower shortcut bar in launcher pro) and I read tons of RSS articles so I have Scrollable News Widget (which is AMAZING, btw).

What I am doing, is maximize battery life in a different way.
    I use Tasker to do most of the job for me. I have like 20 profiles..

I can also assure you that putting on a black theme instead of white one will NOT help your battery life. It will kill it. The lighting - as far as I know - has nothing to do with the color of your background. A white background will only help you see better since you need less light to see things since it returns most of it. A black background will swallow more light and you will have to use higher brightness.

I'll try to algorithm-ize everything (this is NOT what I use in tasker.. it's only a logical array of what's actually going on).

1. Data
    Code:
    If "WiFi Available" And Not "Dead Hours" Then
         Enable "WiFi" & Disable "Mobile Data"
    Else
         If "Mobile Data" is Required Then
              If Not "Signal Strength" = Very Low
                   Enable "Mobile Data"
              End If
         Else
              While "Dead Hours"
                   Disable "Mobile Data"
                   Disable "WiFi"
         End If
    End If

2. Bluetooth
    Code:
    If "Bluetooth" is Required Then
         Enable "Bluetooth"
    Else
         Disable "Bluetooth"
    End If

3. GPS
    Code:
    If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
         "GPS" = On
    Else
         "GPS" = Off
    End If

4. Brightness
    Code:
    If "Alarm" = On Then
         "Screen Brightness" = 10
    Else If "Relevant Applications" = Running Then
         "Screen Brightness" = Auto
    Else
         Use "Brightness Motion Pro" (for fast manual control)
    End If

5.Auto-Sync
    Code:
    While "Dead Hours"
         Disable Auto-Sync

6. USE A WATCH! How many times a day do you turn your display on to look at the time? You're not only waking up the screen. You're interrupting sleep mode.

7. Data sync. I will not get into it too much as every person uses a different set of applications. The idea is, that you need to learn what's important to you and at what frequency and set the polling interval to as low as possible or to not at all.
    For instance, I poll my work mail every 15 mins instead of using push and it's a battery saver.

8. Use "Current Widget". You will learn how to act accordingly.

9. If you're not a market addict, use wifi only for updates. Using mobile data for downloads is MUCH worse a battery eater than downloading thru wifi.

10. Use MORE apps which SHORTEN your usage - LESS apps which you do not use.
    When you spend more time with your display on (which is, of course, the WORST battery killer) you will need to recharge more. I use Homescreen Icons, Launcher Pro's shortcut bar and "Wave Launcher" to minimize the need to look for apps in my drawer and I use SwipePad to call my favs instead of having to look for them in my contacts app. I also use Delayed Lock so that I don't have to unlock my phone every time when i'm in a familiar place. Idle apps will hardly consume battery - and these apps are 99% idle.

Some apps which you're not using might require background sync/whatever...

11. Minimize SD Card usage.
    You don't have to stop listening to music if that's your thing. What you CAN do, is move as less apps as possible to your sdcard. SD access consumes more battery (if i'm not mistaken) than nand access.

12. Disable as many "less important (to you) features" as possible, in settings.
    Disabling haptic feedback and other vibration-using features will help a lot. Disabling animations.. will help less, but still help.

13. Volume
    Lowering the Volume of ringtones and notifications in quieter places will consume less battery. For instance - I use:

Code:
    While "Location" = "Home" || "GF's Place" || ...
         If Not "Alarm Volume" Then
              "Volume" = 30%-

14. Last thing. Some of you probably turn it on to see if something has changed in the last 22 seconds (IT DIDN'T!) or to click the app drawer, roll thru the apps, and turn the screen off again. Stop that. It's stupid. It doesn't even have anything to do with your battery life.. it's stupid regardless of that :)

You're invited to pm me if you want some help with setting up tasker.

cheers.
    An application is a single, whole program package that is loaded into the phone. Examples would be Tapatalk, the default Calculator, and Angry Birds.

An application can have one or more widgets in it -- a widget is an interactive thing you can place on the home screen. It can give you information, and you can tap on it to change what it says. A good example of that would be Beautiful Widgets, or the little Android guy that tells you about how to use your new phone.

Sent from my Wildfire S
    I've taken similar measures and have been able to go 11 DAYS on a single charge at one time, now averaging about 6-7 days per charge.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1305130

The important thing is to get the idle battery use down (< 1%/hr idle), and let important notifications through (using SMS is more efficient than keeping a 3G connection active.
    Completely agree. What's the point. Either you don't use your phone for ANYTHING, and watch the battery last for 2 weeks (literally), or you use it so heavily that it lasts only 2 hours....

I was sick recently, and as such couldn't use my phone (I couldn't open my eyes without getting dizzy, and even closed.... still was). Suddenly my HTC Inspire 4G used only 20% of the battery in 10 hours. The previous day, heavy mail, "friendstream" (HTC's facebook/twitter/etc app/widget), listening to music (well, audiobooks) for about 8 hours, and I had only 20% left. And i've found that overclocking the phone to 1.3GHz helps more than any other tweak.

Don't get me wrong, I'm obsessive about using my phone *and* getting awesome battery life out of it. But the ONLY way to true "maximize" your battery life is to *minimize* your usage. But then you might as well buy a feature phone.

And I know a few people with iPhones. a 3GS and a 4 and a 4S. They don't get any better battery life than I do. Heck, they get worse. Even under the same type of usage.

For me, the problem isn't the usage, isn't what's running, or what's loaded (but it does help/hurt). The problem is that battery technology has NOT kept up with consumer needs, or IT development. Your battery is dying as soon as it leaves the factory. Your battery is dying every time you change it. Especially when it gets hot. your battery dies faster when it's cold outside. We need better energy storage medium. Period.
    Thank you for the info on Slide Screen Pro (I found only it's homepage. Can't find it on the market though). I'll make sure to check it out since I believe it's the thing I would love to use + save up BL. It's funny that this app actually reminds me on the homescreen of my old HP iPaq 100 series with Windows Mobile 6.0 :)

Edit: Unfortunately Slide Screen Pro has somehow stopped developing that's why it's not on the market anymore :/. Thanks anyways ^_^

yea, the apk is there though, is it still useful?

Code:
    http://larvalabs.com/blog/android/the-end-of-slidescreen/