[Q] Soft Navigation Keys Disappear on 8.4.6

Search This thread

chsandsas

May 7, 2010
I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.4.6, rooted with Hashcodes 2nd Bootloader guide and TWRP and Seokhun's excellent instructions. I am having a problem with the soft navigation keys consistently disappearing upon booting up. I have since restored my origional backup files, but retain the 8.1.4 bootloader and SuperSU.

Can someone help me retain the disappearing navigational keys?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
When you came to cm from amazon os did you factory wipe? Also try clearing your dalvik cache and cache from twrp's wipe menu. If that doesn't work I'd redownload the ROM and check it's md5sum before flashing.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

chsandsas

May 7, 2010
Thanks for your quick reply, Stunts. You and Hash and Seokun and the other devs are amazing.

What I think happened was that I experienced the disappearing soft keys (perhaps after downloading some software that tried to automatically clear memory and space ) and loaded a more user friendly android launcher, while trying to retain the amazon interface for my wife, which integrated with the recovery partition or root system of the boot.

I believe I resolved this (after 6 successful boots after 0 for 5) using Hashes 8.4.3 update @ http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2142241. I am guessing that file updated the bootloader, which seems to have resolved my initial problem.

However, the "Upgrade Your Kindle " box is still grayed out. So, If I did want to go back to 8.4.6, what would you suggest?

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Ah that button is usually greyed out, it's meant for if you follow amazon's instruction on their site and put their update file on your sdcard, if you do that then it would let you hit it. That method should still work I believe if you want to update it. Keep in mind that would unroot it and possibly get rid of custom recovery, but it's been a while so I don't remember if it gets rid of custom recovery, then again I just woke up and I haven't used amazon os for the better part of a year now.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD running CM10.1 Tablet UI using xda-developers app

Last edited:
Reactions: chsandsas

chsandsas

May 7, 2010
I followed Amazons directions, placed the .bin file in internal memory, but the "Upgrade Your Kindle" box is still grayed out.

chsandsas

May 7, 2010
You guys are awesome. After allowing OTA updates, with the update .bin file in internal memory, the Update My Kindle button was activated. However, 8.4.3 with the Holo launcher seems to be working great. Thanks so much!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ah that button is usually greyed out, it's meant for if you follow amazon's instruction on their site and put their update file on your sdcard, if you do that then it would let you hit it. That method should still work I believe if you want to update it. Keep in mind that would unroot it and possibly get rid of custom recovery, but it's been a while so I don't remember if it gets rid of custom recovery, then again I just woke up and I haven't used amazon os for the better part of a year now.

Did u ever at some point disable ota's?