Tried some, but most of them has some level of ghosting:
Working so far:
- Klondike
- Reversi free
- Nemo picross
- GObandroid (to play Go! - very good)
- Super Sudoku
- Klondike free
- Dark nova (used to love Space Trader on my old Treo)

Still looking for a viable RPG - I guess Eye of the Beholder ou Bard's Tale style would work.

Where did you find a copy of Dark Nova? The one on the market (and many others) are not compatible. Could you maybe post a link? I used to play space trader on my Pocket PC- and it would be great to revisit it.

apeine

Mar 9, 2011
Sao Paulo
Well, found on the 'net, don't know exactly where.
But there is a chrome hack that allows you to download market stuff straight to your computer. Just didn't had the courage to use yet.

link

If you ever manage to use it, please inform us! Just like I used to use a "copied" version of twitter on NST, before it suddenly showed up again on Market.

Reactions: brendan10211

Tim.Fletcher

Mar 5, 2012
Chrome Extension

I tried out the chrome extension- it seems to work so far. Unfortunately you need your device id, and neither of the ways the author of the extension suggested seem to work the app wont open on my nook and the other option requires you to have a phone. Could someone else cold try the app he suggests (market.android.com/details?id=com.redphx.deviceid) and confirm that dose not work on the nook? I will try to find another way to find my device id in the meantime.

Tim.Fletcher

Mar 5, 2012
Chrome Extension

After downloading numerous apps I have found several that give me my device id- but the id it gives is one character short of the 16 digit id APK downloader needs. I must be missing something here. If anyone has any thoughts let me know.

keenerb

Jan 30, 2008
Tried some, but most of them has some level of ghosting:
Working so far:
- Klondike
- Reversi free
- Nemo picross
- GObandroid (to play Go! - very good)
- Super Sudoku
- Klondike free
- Dark nova (used to love Space Trader on my old Treo)

Still looking for a viable RPG - I guess Eye of the Beholder ou Bard's Tale style would work.

Gurk, GUrk II, and Dweller are semi-roguelike and work fairly well on the nook touch.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Tip for those who want to play games on NST using 'scummvm' and fastmode.
Use NookTouchTools to set up a key for 'CAMERA' button and 'MENU'.
- Holding Menu button will force Android keyboard to show up (useful when you need to input some text eg. game code)
- Holding Camera button and touching the screen will act as the right mouse button. (same applies to android VNC)

img2276a.jpg

Last edited:

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
Can any Andriod (game) app be played on the Nook?

Every game that runs on Android 2.1 should work after rooting (obviously).

Most of them require the use of 'FastMode' or "NoRefresh" to render fast movements correctly.
- Some of them can be too dark to play.
For example you can't see anything in Falldroid (Fallout1) when you are in caves using 'FastMode' ;]
- Games using accelerometer are right out.
- Games using physical keyboard are unplayable without 'usb-host mode' and a keyboard.

For a start I recomend "Cut The Rope" with 'FastMode'.

That's it.

Reactions: diditall4danook
Feb 5, 2013
osowiecki... awesome! thanks for your help! have yet to root the nook, just trying to see if it's really worth it. i know it's more of a "hey, look what i did with my nook" thing, but if the games are limited, i may think twice.

does rooting alter the main function of the nook? can we still start and read books like normal?

before i start asking a ton of questions here, and looking endlessly through the forum, can you point me to a guide or 2 that can explain how to load games? i have already through the rooting process countless times, so i'm pretty familiar with that process.

thanks in advance.

osowiecki

Feb 21, 2012
Poznań
osowiecki... awesome! thanks for your help! have yet to root the nook, just trying to see if it's really worth it. i know it's more of a "hey, look what i did with my nook" thing, but if the games are limited, i may think twice.

does rooting alter the main function of the nook? can we still start and read books like normal?

before i start asking a ton of questions here, and looking endlessly through the forum, can you point me to a guide or 2 that can explain how to load games? i have already through the rooting process countless times, so i'm pretty familiar with that process.

thanks in advance.

there are 3 methods of installing games :

1. download .apk ; connect NST with PC using ADB ; adb install 'game_name'.apk
2. Root with method that allows 'Google Play' ; Use 'SearchMarket.apk' to find a game in 'Google Play' ; Install it via 'Market.apk'
3. Get a file manager (you have it by default in 'ReLaunch') ; copy *.*.apk to MicroSD. Open *.*.apk using 'file manager'.

Important : look for info on howto "allow non-market installation" (something like that).
You can do it using NookColorTools.apk for sure.
I don't have more time to look for certain threads right now.
I'll update this post if you won't find them.

Feb 5, 2013
Thanks again osowiecki.

I appreciate you taking time to help me out. I'll consider the 3 steps you listed to install games, as well as do more research here and on the net. In your original reply...

Would that be games requiring Android 2.1 only? Or, 2.1 and below? Definitely not games above 2.1, correct?

Thanks again!

richardcoop

Jan 13, 2014
Hello folks,

I've been looking around for a couple of games for the Nook STR. I've got several "slow movement" games to run properly: sudoku, reversi and gobandroid.
Is there any other recommended game? A RPG maybe? Maybe card games?

I have adventure games: ScummVM; text adventures: Son of Hunky; Chess Free; Puzzles: Unbolck Me, Four In a Row and a Missle Command clone: City Missle Defense

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Not sure about Crossword Lite as mentioned above. I've tried every crossword app that the Play Store and Amazon would let me download and only one, Crossword(US), comes close to functioning for me. I'm using Tasker to autorotate to landscape and back. The biggest remaining problem for which there seems to be no fix is that use of either the space bar or delete key makes the entire keyboard disappear! You can get it back by swiping over the blanked-out area and introducing a few stray letters into the puzzle along the way. That's annoying.

I learned something today after e-mailing the developer (quick response!). I never could access the options menu because the app runs full screen by default (at least it does for me). It finally dawned on me that I could use NTMM to program one of the side hardware buttons (long press) for "Menu". Once I did that and was able to access the options, there is a place to make it always show the status bar. Ta-da! So I restored my side button to default and now I can get at all the hints, etc. that are accessible from the menu button.

Now if only that keyboard issue did not exist.

Anyone else found a better functioning Crossword Puzzle app?

pinguy1982

May 10, 2012
Not sure about Crossword Lite as mentioned above. I've tried every crossword app that the Play Store and Amazon would let me download and only one, Crossword(US), comes close to functioning for me. I'm using Tasker to autorotate to landscape and back. The biggest remaining problem for which there seems to be no fix is that use of either the space bar or delete key makes the entire keyboard disappear! You can get it back by swiping over the blanked-out area and introducing a few stray letters into the puzzle along the way. That's annoying.

I learned something today after e-mailing the developer (quick response!). I never could access the options menu because the app runs full screen by default (at least it does for me). It finally dawned on me that I could use NTMM to program one of the side hardware buttons (long press) for "Menu". Once I did that and was able to access the options, there is a place to make it always show the status bar. Ta-da! So I restored my side button to default and now I can get at all the hints, etc. that are accessible from the menu button.

I have set this up with one of the hardware keys: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lggfc.nookclearscreen
When the keyboard goes blank just click the hardware key you have binded "Nook Clear Screen" to, to get back the keyboard.

Last edited:
Reactions: nmyshkin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Stop the spamming of the NOOK COLOR Themes and Apps forum.

There are areas for deviceces without own forum.
    I don't agree... The Nook clearly deserves a forum more than most of the devices that have been crowded into those other forums. Not only that, the Nook is pretty much a Nook Color under the hood =\, so optimizations in the Nook Color could possibly be brought over if the devs or future devs are made more aware of what's going on with it.

Besides... Every Nook Touch topic i've seen is labeled with [N2E] not to hard to avoid =|
    Persichini, your idea is quite good, the only problem being is that I don't own another android device...
    Well, found on the 'net, don't know exactly where.
    But there is a chrome hack that allows you to download market stuff straight to your computer. Just didn't had the courage to use yet.

link

If you ever manage to use it, please inform us! Just like I used to use a "copied" version of twitter on NST, before it suddenly showed up again on Market.
    Can any Andriod (game) app be played on the Nook?

Most of them require the use of 'FastMode' or "NoRefresh" to render fast movements correctly.
    - Some of them can be too dark to play.
    For example you can't see anything in Falldroid (Fallout1) when you are in caves using 'FastMode' ;]
    - Games using accelerometer are right out.
    - Games using physical keyboard are unplayable without 'usb-host mode' and a keyboard.

For a start I recomend "Cut The Rope" with 'FastMode'.

That's it.

I have set this up with one of the hardware keys: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lggfc.nookclearscreen
    When the keyboard goes blank just click the hardware key you have binded "Nook Clear Screen" to, to get back the keyboard.