[Q] Deadboot brick --- 7 vibrations --- what is the cause ?

Search This thread

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
This is not a similar thread asking what to do and you all tell me to go to repair shop, I need answers if anyone has them, cause there is no thread on any forum on the internet that describes this:

I purchased NEW bricked Desire (Bravo) from a guy that got it from Belgium as a gift, for very cheap money. Guy turned it on for the first time here in Serbia and the phone worked 3-4 days, and then died. never rooted, everything stock.

I took the phone, and pushed Power button - and it turned on (Oh, how I regret I didnt use "volume down" at that point) and it got stuck at green HTC.

I took out the battery and after that - not once did it turned on, or LED turned on when charging or anything. No boot.

then I read all the threads I could find, and the conclusion is that it's bricked and it needs JTAG, and nothing else will help. But, after some time without battery in the phone, I putt it in, and the phone vibrated 7 times and not even a flicker from the screen.

I actually opened the device (it has Belgium warranty but with serbian custom regulations, sending it and receiving it back is more expensive than brand new Desire) and checked everything - good solder, battery good (it has voltage), everything is in place.

My question is, as I dont understand software part of the phone - HOW does it even vibrate 7 times, and if it's bricked - WHAT is giving the phone instructions to do so ... ? If it is able to vibrate in a pre-defined manner, then something is working inside the device. And that something acts random (didnt turn on with the guy, turned on once with me, now wont turn on again) so Im asking - what part of the SoC is actually working to enable that 7 vibrates, and why is it acting random .. ?

note: HTC NEVER gave ANY explanation on those 7 vibrations. phone-repair forums from Russia dont know the story behind that also.

I will eventually take it to a service shop where JTAG would be preformed, but I would so much like if there was another solution ... If it turned on once, how do I make it turn on again ... (so I could use ADB to sort out everything)

anyone with advanced knowledge on this one .. ?

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
Try to charge the battery in another phone and then try to turn it on using power+vol down. If that works 2.3 ruu is a solution for everything.
In my signature you have the explanation how HTC works, go to the thread and download the image.

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
Thanks nloooo but as I already said it - battery is ok. Tried it in another Desire - works, tried battery from another Desire in mine - phone wont work. Believe me - If there was a way for me to get into bootaloder or fastboot, I would do so by now. I am trying everything to avoid JTAG, and I wanna know why it will start once in 100 times, and why is this even happening.

looking for a motherboard online - boy those are expensive! they cost more than whole used unit ...

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
Ok, anyone please help -

I managed to "push" it into bootloader/fastboot by freezing the phone (good old technique) and now I can enter fastboot/bootloader but recovery doesnt work.

In order to run RUU I need to connect phone with PC, but every time I try to do that it says: USB device not recognized

If I run RUU, it says: Error [170]: USB Connection error

phone is S-ON and I only have RUU as a solution, but cant run it, cause PC wont recognize phone. I have HTC drivers installed, with Sync uninstalled, but still it wont work.

Could it be maybe that I need older Sync version, I read that somewhere .. ?

jmcclue

Apr 3, 2012
I think sync needs to be installed to run a ruu. Not 100% sure tho

Sent from my HTC Desire

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
I installed SYNC but now im freezing phone again (so I could enter HBOOT), will post results in couple of minutes.

As im figuring out - device surely has Hardware failure, being that only frozen is able to boot. since freezing shrinks matter, my conclusion is that EMMC or CPU solder got melted by the working temperature, thus making Tin (or whatever is used for soldering these days) touching somehow on two sepparate solders, but when is frozen, they "go apart".

Once I start it, will check this -

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1284196

to determine if EMMC is fried or unsoldered.

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
Not sure about that thread, it points to problem with eMMC chip that Desire S has not regular Desire. For Desire the most common hardware problem is overheating motherboard issue, usual for PVT1 devices.

Reactions: Igoritza

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
And that's just what im going to do - it lays opened on my table now, and there is a big design flaw - NOTHING disperses heat from the CPU cover!!!

I cant believe that HTC did this, this is just like not plugging a CPU cooler onto the motherboard of a PC.

all things aside, the problem lays in bad motherboard, and even if I purchase another one, same thing will happen over time cause CPU cant get rid of the heat.

- reflow solder (im good with that, have proper tools)
- thermal paste over cpu, before covering it back with metal

Im pretty sure this will work. phone is brand new, could get out of the factory if it had such a big flow, it must be overheating problem caused by high CPU usage. will post results later this evening, when I do a reflow soldering.

nlooooo

Oct 29, 2011
Nis
Well, I have mine for almost 2 years, used it with advance roms (sense 3.0 and 3.5) usually overclocked, sometimes it gets hot, but I can't say I had overheating issue.
The problem is not related to all devices, it's usually connected to PVT1 version of device (which was the first series) that later got fixed.

Igoritza

May 23, 2008
Belgrade
havent checked my version, but the fact is - it works! (partially) Oh, and on that topic - how do I find out my version .. ? is there a hard print .. ?

After hot air gun (reflow pin by pin could not be done, this shi* is small!) and after putting thermal paste onto the CPU - it goes past HTC logo, tries to load Sense, and then freezes. So all this trouble with software/firmware was for nothing, I guess .. I just need to reflow it a bit more, I got scared that those small pins would melt fast. Boy, I really hope this will work, cause when HW is the problem, I know my stuff, or at least I think I do .. :)

EDIT: well FOK MI! I dont believe this ...

I am the first to ever open this unit. I removed all the warranty stickers. On top of CPU, there IS NO METAL COVER! Nothing to act as a Heat sink! this:

wN1ir.jpg

I guess this gray plate is Aluminum or iron, and the other one small is copper, but I dont have none. No wonder phone hangs 10sec after boot. Im off to make a cover, damn you HTC, how did this ever got out of the factory .. ?

Last edited:

Begin12

Aug 22, 2014
Bangalore
Ok, anyone please help -

I managed to "push" it into bootloader/fastboot by freezing the phone (good old technique) and now I can enter fastboot/bootloader but recovery doesnt work.

In order to run RUU I need to connect phone with PC, but every time I try to do that it says: USB device not recognized

If I run RUU, it says: Error [170]: USB Connection error

phone is S-ON and I only have RUU as a solution, but cant run it, cause PC wont recognize phone. I have HTC drivers installed, with Sync uninstalled, but still it wont work.

Could it be maybe that I need older Sync version, I read that somewhere .. ?

pl explain in detail how to push into fastboot.... My phone is not switching on!!

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

This is not a similar thread asking what to do and you all tell me to go to repair shop, I need answers if anyone has them, cause there is no thread on any forum on the internet that describes this:

I purchased NEW bricked Desire (Bravo) from a guy that got it from Belgium as a gift, for very cheap money. Guy turned it on for the first time here in Serbia and the phone worked 3-4 days, and then died. never rooted, everything stock.

I took the phone, and pushed Power button - and it turned on (Oh, how I regret I didnt use "volume down" at that point) and it got stuck at green HTC.

I took out the battery and after that - not once did it turned on, or LED turned on when charging or anything. No boot.

then I read all the threads I could find, and the conclusion is that it's bricked and it needs JTAG, and nothing else will help. But, after some time without battery in the phone, I putt it in, and the phone vibrated 7 times and not even a flicker from the screen.

I actually opened the device (it has Belgium warranty but with serbian custom regulations, sending it and receiving it back is more expensive than brand new Desire) and checked everything - good solder, battery good (it has voltage), everything is in place.

My question is, as I dont understand software part of the phone - HOW does it even vibrate 7 times, and if it's bricked - WHAT is giving the phone instructions to do so ... ? If it is able to vibrate in a pre-defined manner, then something is working inside the device. And that something acts random (didnt turn on with the guy, turned on once with me, now wont turn on again) so Im asking - what part of the SoC is actually working to enable that 7 vibrates, and why is it acting random .. ?

note: HTC NEVER gave ANY explanation on those 7 vibrations. phone-repair forums from Russia dont know the story behind that also.

I will eventually take it to a service shop where JTAG would be preformed, but I would so much like if there was another solution ... If it turned on once, how do I make it turn on again ... (so I could use ADB to sort out everything)

anyone with advanced knowledge on this one .. ?

Pl explain how to get it into fastboot. My htc desire x is not booting at all.
I did a factory reset and it was working fine , then i went into twrp(2.7 the new one) and in advanced i selected restore original image.Then when i reboot it vibrated many times so i removed my battery now the phone is not switching on.... the only thing i see is the orange light when i connect usb/power cord.

Saf98

Aug 7, 2013
??<
pl explain in detail how to push into fastboot.... My phone is not switching on!!

---------- Post added at 01:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 AM ----------

Pl explain how to get it into fastboot. My htc desire x is not booting at all.
I did a factory reset and it was working fine , then i went into twrp(2.7 the new one) and in advanced i selected restore original image.Then when i reboot it vibrated many times so i removed my battery now the phone is not switching on.... the only thing i see is the orange light when i connect usb/power cord.

Post in the desire x forum they will help you.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA Free mobile app

csoni182

Sep 17, 2014
Mumbai
even my htc desire x has same problem

before this happened i dropped my phone 3 times in 2 months...but the phone was still normal..but suddenly it did'nt start then i gaved my phone to a private phone repairing shop..the man told me that therz a circuit problrm in the phone and difficult to fix it.....before it i tried by power+vol down but any option does not work..same it keeps on vibrating 7 times ...what should i do now...:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    havent checked my version, but the fact is - it works! (partially) Oh, and on that topic - how do I find out my version .. ? is there a hard print .. ?

After hot air gun (reflow pin by pin could not be done, this shi* is small!) and after putting thermal paste onto the CPU - it goes past HTC logo, tries to load Sense, and then freezes. So all this trouble with software/firmware was for nothing, I guess .. I just need to reflow it a bit more, I got scared that those small pins would melt fast. Boy, I really hope this will work, cause when HW is the problem, I know my stuff, or at least I think I do .. :)

EDIT: well FOK MI! I dont believe this ...

I am the first to ever open this unit. I removed all the warranty stickers. On top of CPU, there IS NO METAL COVER! Nothing to act as a Heat sink! this:

wN1ir.jpg

I guess this gray plate is Aluminum or iron, and the other one small is copper, but I dont have none. No wonder phone hangs 10sec after boot. Im off to make a cover, damn you HTC, how did this ever got out of the factory .. ?
    I think sync needs to be installed to run a ruu. Not 100% sure tho

Sent from my HTC Desire

+1
    HTC Sync or HTC drivers.
    Not sure about that thread, it points to problem with eMMC chip that Desire S has not regular Desire. For Desire the most common hardware problem is overheating motherboard issue, usual for PVT1 devices.