[DISCUSSION][SOLVED] ROOTING G2 Vision T-mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

lbcoder

Jan 21, 2009
Come on guys! you can do it! Gizmodo and Engadget reported it non-rootable, but i know the smart minds at xda can root this machine, and root it to the ground!

Just think of how accomplished you guys will feel when gadget blogs around the world ( like acclaimed gizmodo and engadget) will give praise for a job well done.

The reinstalling rootkit is just another program, and with enough dedication all programs can be hacked.

Horns and trumpets will sound when you fine hackers prevail over this communist dictator who tells you what you can or cant do on your own device. Return the definition of open source, and give justice to the G2.

~cheers, a fan of root

There IS NO REINSTALLING ROOTKIT!!!!

Don't you get it? It is simply WRITE PROTECTED with REDIRECTED WRITES!

fastludeh22

Mar 22, 2009
Unfortunately, no. You didn't get anything to stick.
What you did is this;
You deleted the apk from the system partition, which caused it to be UNINSTALLED from the USERDATA partition, and then installed a different apk with a different SIGNATURE. It didn't work because it isn't signed with system keys, but its non-system signature is installed to the userdata partition. When you rebooted, the one from the system image came back with its system signature, which doesn't match the signature now stored in your userdata partition, and so it doesn't work.

In other words, you just screwed up the signature in the userdata partition.

Nice try though.

Ahh, makes sense, too bad. So I was gonna pm u as to not clog this theard with other info to ask how I can fix this so ican have flash back, but then decided it might be good to have in here since others might have done something similar...so what should I do? Thanks

Algernon

Feb 2, 2009
Wouldn't it be logical to expect that the Desire Z would not have this "feature". It seems that the secured memory used to "unroot" at boot explains the extra 2GB present in the G2 vs the Desire Z. Funny that they would brag up the 4GB memory as an advantage when it's actually there to make room for this counter-consumer trickery!

There's a 2Gb version of this chip, the SDIN5D2-2G. Another option is that it's the same chip, but being marketed differently so that people aren't screaming about their missing 2 gigs. After all, it's not like T-Mobile is known for their savvy marketing skills. :p

harrij4

Oct 4, 2010
There's a 2Gb version of this chip, the SDIN5D2-2G. Another option is that it's the same chip, but being marketed differently so that people aren't screaming about their missing 2 gigs. After all, it's not like T-Mobile is known for their savvy marketing skills. :p

Exactly what I'm saying! It's reasonable to think that the Z has the 2GB chip and doesn't participate in these shenanigans and the G2 has the 4GB chip to make room for the extra partition. The end result is the same amount of user-accessible space.

donboyfisher

Sep 1, 2010
No, what this is, is simply redirected writes. rmt_storage == ReMoTe STORAGE.... store your changes in a remote location -- outside of the system partition.

When the thing reboots, all that happens is the secondary storage is wiped clean. The actual system image is only in one place, it is just write protected.

Ah ok, i understand.

So what happens when the phone is running normally and it tries to do a write to a directory within the read-only system image? Does the write simply get re-directed to the remote location. If you then go to read that, how does the system know its in the remote location and not in the system image partition. What makes it different?

( and why would a write be allowed in the first place if its a read-only partition ? )

Cel1084

Dec 7, 2009
There is too much chatter going on here!
You guys need to get to work. I want a root by the end of the week:D

Shano

Mar 17, 2006
I don't have my G2 yet so I can't exactly test this, but has anyone tried patching the running kernel, ala ksplice?

Since we can get temp root, and its the software, the kernel thats doing the redirects writes, can we objdump the kernel, dig in a little deeper to where its happening, and patch the kernel while its running to disable that functionality?

Just throwing ideas out there ..

TL24

Oct 2, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm a new Android user and the G2 is my first Android device (couldn't be happier) but i just wanna say a big "THANK YOU" to those that are working hard to ROOT the damn thing!

Your efforts are appreciated by all G2 lovers!

vi5in

Oct 6, 2010
So let me see if I have this straight.

When you make changes, any change that would have gone to the actual (write-protected) location gets redirected to a remote location.

When you reboot the phone, that remote location gets wiped and the phone gets the original data from the write-protected location?

As someone pointed out, isn't that a LOT of writes to the NAND just to ensure that the phone retains the original data?

It seems that the remote location is a cache of sorts. Perhaps this is what is happening (just speculation):

1) Phone starts up
2) Phone copies data from write-protected location to rmt_storage
3) User makes changes which are actually made in the rmt_storage area and not the write-protected area.
4) User reboots.
5) Go to 1.

Do I have it straight so far?

grankin01

Feb 9, 2008
Georgetown, KY
One thing noone has directly pointed out is that rooting this and stopping the constant writes to the inand should make the device last longer and possibly be more stable.

One thing I do remember is that several types of volatile memory can only be written to a "set" number of times before they die. If that is the case here then inand dead = check failure and then device = paperweight.(possibly)

Correct me if I am wrong but tricking the system into thinking this might be a loophole as they may have set up some sort of redundant subroutine to handle this exception. Then again, if it sounds to good ....
:D

Shano

Mar 17, 2006
that requires a signature for the rom which is part of the whole problem. we dont have one to use to overwrite what's on that partition.

This is why I was thinking of the ksplice method.

Get temporary root, patch the running, already verified and signed kernel, and disable the rewriting of changes to the other partition.

With the rewrites disabled, you can now write to the real partition and changes there should now hold after reboots.

That is unless there is some hardware doing the rewrites, but so far I've only heard reference to it being a software problem, which once you have root you can fix that?

donboyfisher

Sep 1, 2010
One thing I do remember is that several types of volatile memory can only be written to a "set" number of times before they die. If that is the case here then inand dead = check failure and then device = paperweight.(possibly)

Yup. However, a quick look around the web seems to imply that depending on the type of NAND, it can be as low as 5K write cycles or as much as 100K write cycles before you start to question the integrity of the memory block.

Even then, some controller either keep aside space to use as a replacement for bad blocks ( Bad block management ), or they monitor the number of times a block has been written and then dynamically re-assign address spaces to different physical blocks of memory ( wear levelling )

I'd imagine that the stuff in phones would be at the higher end of the write cycles .... so that would equate to a lot of re-boots.

vi5in

Oct 6, 2010
I read a few of the earlier posts and I'm wondering. Has anyone been able to get an image of mmcblk0p13 and mmcblk0p14?

Maybe first we can get an image of both on start up and store them in mmcblk0p13.startup.img and mmcblk0p14.startup.img. Then make some changes, and get an image again. This time, storing them in mmcblk0p13.changed.img and mmcblk0p14.changed.img. Finally, reboot the image and get another set of images, this time dumping the image to mmcblk0p13.after_reboot.img and mmcblk0p14.after_reboot.img.

If rmt_storage is what we all think it might be, examining the dumps for differences may give us some clues? I will see if I can do this when I get home tonight.

Thoughts?

osho741

Dec 3, 2008
Milwaukee
I read a few of the earlier posts and I'm wondering. Has anyone been able to get an image of mmcblk0p13 and mmcblk0p14?

Maybe first we can get an image of both on start up and store them in mmcblk0p13.startup.img and mmcblk0p14.startup.img. Then make some changes, and get an image again. This time, storing them in mmcblk0p13.changed.img and mmcblk0p14.changed.img. Finally, reboot the image and get another set of images, this time dumping the image to mmcblk0p13.after_reboot.img and mmcblk0p14.after_reboot.img.

If rmt_storage is what we all think it might be, examining the dumps for differences may give us some clues? I will see if I can do this when I get home tonight.

Thoughts?
if those are the temporary storage partitions then when you reboot they will simply disappear so will you be able to get a logcat of the phone overwriting those images or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone considered the possibility of a system.img that's being unpacked on boot? The root filesystem on our phones is unpacked from boot.img every time the phone is booted which is why there's trouble with the SGS and people rooting it by placing the su binary in /sbin...

Back on topic, the root filesystem can be changed at runtime, but reboot, and it all goes away. That's what sounds like is going on with the G2, but I don't have one to mess with.