[ROM] DPRom for MotoACTV (updated 3-January-2013)

Search This thread

dproldan

Dec 7, 2007
Malaga
This is a version of the stock MotoACTV system ROM 1.7.12N with several modifications that allow you to use many more android apps.

All userdata is erased when you install this from another ROM, I'm not responsible with what you do with your device.

What works, in no particular order:

- This is already rooted, it doesn't matter what version you come from. I receive a lot of questions about this. Really, the state of your motoactv software doesn't matter. Rooted or not rooted, stock or modified, etc.
- All stock apps and functions work as expected, nothing changes from a stock MotoACTV.
- All google apps I've tried, Market, GMail, Maps, Talk, etc
- Live Wallpapers and widgets stay after reboots.
- LED notifications for Gmail, Email, etc.
- Wifi stays on. Icon shows in status bar when connected. New!
- Accelerometer based games and launcher rotation.
- Enabled settings menus:
* Wireless & Network Settings. Where you can turn on/off wifi, add networks, set advanced parameters, etc
* Application Settings. Where you can uninstall apps, turn on/off ADB, see battery usage, etc
* Accounts & sync settings. Manage accounts for autosync, etc.
* Sound Settings. Choose notifications tone, volume, etc
- Calendar widget and application working.
- Music button is "menu", double-press power button for "home" or choose a launcher.
- Battery percentage modded by ClearD. (thanks!)
- Preferences in most apps are shown black text over white background for easier reading on the MotoACTV.

What doesn't work:
- Search, nowhere. force closes every time. This has never worked.
- Audio input for installed apps. This has never worked.
- Some Bluetooth profiles are not implemented.
- Wifi stays on, but but some times doesn't turn off when you deselect it. turn off/on the MotoACTV if you're in this situation.
- MotoCast setup messes up the Accounts and Sync settings, so Motocast needs to be setup after the google account.

Zeam launcher is preinstalled, but it's not really needed, because you can access all installed applications with the "music" button, you can uninstall it if you prefer. Also you can install another launcher if you like, just be sure to move it to the internal flash from Settings, Application Settings, choose the app and tap the button "move to phone". You'll have to do this for other apps that require to be installed internally, like extra widgets.

Instructions

You can use ClearD's excellent image flasher http://www.cleardroidroms.com/download/click.php?id=103 (be sure to use the "wipe" button) or follow these instructions :

* you need "fastboot" to be installed and working on your computer, here are instructions for windows: http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/2153...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/
* Your MotoACTV needs to be fully charged.

Download and extract the zip at the end of this post:

- With the MotoACTV turned off, press and hold "volume down" key and "power" key until the display lights up, release both keys.
- Plug the usb cable to the MotoACTV and the computer.
- Open a command line and change directory to where you extracted the zip file.
- Issue the followings commands in order:

Code:
 fastboot -w
 fastboot flash boot boot.img
 fastboot flash system system.img
 fastboot flash preinstall preinstall.img
 fastboot -w
 fastboot reboot

If you are starting from a previous version of DPRom, you can try to upgrade with the following commands:
Code:
 fastboot erase cache
 fastboot reboot

This is the way to set it up that works for me:

The first boot will take a couple of minutes.
Choose the country, language, press "motoactv setup", choose time zone, set hour, set date, press "next", press "profile setup", set your age, select gender, set height, set weight, set primary activity.
***Don't setup the MotoCast things yet, so press "Later".***
Go to Settings, Wireles & Network Settings, turn on wifi and setup up your network.
Go back to the main screen and press the "Music" button (that's the menu button from now on), choose the TALK application and go trough the google account setup. You'll see your talk contacts appear.
Go back to settings, Accounts & Sync, Manage accounts, press your account and disable the calendar sync.
Go back to settings, application settings, manage applications, All,
at the bottom choose Zeam Launcher and press "move to phone"
Choose also Flit keyboard and press "move to phone"
find Calendar and delete its data.
find Calendar Storage and delete its data.
Go back to settings, Accounts & Sync, Manage accounts, press your account and enable the calendar sync. If you don't use the calendar, leave this unselected to avoid a few ForceCloses.

If you want to add your MotoCast ID, go to Settings, Personal Profile, MotoCast ID. The accounts and Sync setting will force close after you setup the MotoCast ID, I'm still working on this.

Remember that double pressing the power button will let you choose the launcher. Some preinstalled programs need a bit of setup to adapt them to the MotoACTV, be sure to use their preferences menu and explore them. Some examples:
- In flit keyboard, select first keyboard as "Small Querty", second keyboard as "small number"
- In Zeam Launcher, preferences, action bindings, select swype up to "Toggle Full Screen" and swype down as "Expand Notifications". Also in Applications grid, set Columns LandScape completely to the left.
- In SuperUser, press the wrench icon to enter preferences, and set "automatic response" to "allow". Otherwise you can have problems to allow apps to use the su function.
- In Settings, Wireles & Network Settings, press the music button (menu) select avanced and setup the turn off policy to "when display goes off", press menu button again to save this setting.

Thanks to everybody reporting issues, keep them coming!

Enjoy!

Downloads:

DPRomBeta4.zip First Release 2nd July 2012

DPRomBeta7.zip Second Release 10 July 2012
* updated to version 1.7.10, updated included android apps to their latest versions. Used Cennis91 anyroot.zip to root the stock ROM. Thanks!
* added ClearD Battery percentage mod.
* changed general theme to "light", now all settings menus are black text over white background, messes with some programs that have hard-coded colors. WIP.
* Undo hack to make wifi stay on. Seems to be more stable with 1.7.10. Report if you have problems.
* Modified SystemUI to make the pull-down notifications menu more usable. Thanks to ClearD.
* Fixed preinstall script, now you can uninstall included apps.
* included modified Clock and CarHome, just for testing.

DPRomBeta8 Third Release 2nd August 2012
* updated android apps to latest versions.
* Better "light" theme applied to app's settings, black text over white background.
* Modified wifi to stay on for 10 minutes.
* fixed su binary.
* added Bluetooth settings. You can now change the name and turn it on from settings. WIP

DPRomBeta8.1 3rd august 2012
* fixed error with Google maps

DPRomBeta9 3rd January 2013. It's better to use Beta 8.1, this version has problems when turning off wifi.
* updated to 1.7.12N
* wifi Icon in status bar. Wifi time out is now 24 hours.

Last edited:

tansoftware

Sep 29, 2004
Toronto
This is a version of the stock MotoACTV system ROM 1.7.2 with several modifications that allow you to use many more android apps.

All userdata is erased when you install this, I'm not responsible with what you do with your device.

- This is already rooted, it doesn't matter what version you come from.
- All stock apps and functions work as expected, nothing changes from a stock MotoACTV.
- Wifi stays on.
* Wireless & Network Settings. Where you can turn on/off wifi, add networks, set advanced parameters, etc
* Application Settings. Where you can uninstall apps, turn on/off ADB, see battery usage, etc
- Music button is "menu", double-press power button for "home" or choose a launcher.

What doesn't work:
- Wifi stays on, but but some times doesn't turn off when you deselect it. turn off/on the MotoACTV if you're in this situation.
- MotoCast setup messes up the Accounts and Sync settings, so Motocast needs to be setup after the google account.

Zeam launcher is preinstalled, but it's not really needed, because you can access all installed applications with the "music" button, you can uninstall it if you prefer. Also you can install another launcher if you like, just be sure to move it to the internal flash from Settings, Application Settings, choose the app and tap the button "move to phone". You'll have to do this for other apps that require to be installed internally, like extra widgets.

Instructions

* you need "fastboot" to be installed and working on your computer, here are instructions for windows: http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/21534/how-to-install-adb-and-fastboot-on-your-windows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

- With the MotoACTV turned off, press and hold "volume down" key and "power" key until the display lights up, release both keys.
- Plug the usb cable the de MotoACTV and the computer.

Code:
 fastboot -w
 fastboot -w
 fastboot reboot

Choose the country, language, press "motoactv setup", choose time zone, set hour, set date, press "next", press "profile setup", set your age, select gender, set height, set weight, set primary activity.
Go to Settings, Wireles & Network Settings, turn on wifi and setup up your network.
Go back to the main screen and press the "Music" button (that's the menu button from now on), choose the TALK application and go trough the google account setup. You'll see your talk contacts appear.
Go back to settings, Accounts & Sync, Manage accounts, press your account and disable the calendar sync.
Go back to settings, Accounts & Sync, Manage accounts, press your account and enable the calendar sync.

If you want to add your MotoCast ID, go to Settings, Personal Profile, MotoCast ID. The accounts and Sync setting will force close after you setup the MotoCast ID, I'm still working on this.

Remember that double pressing the power button will let you choose the launcher. Some preinstalled programs need a bit of setup to adapt them to the MotoACTV, be sure to use their preferences menu and explore them.

Enjoy!

Downloads:

DPRomBeta4.zip

Thank you so much for your Beta, but your link has issues. I cannot seem to download your zip file. It reaches 30% and then says it can't read source file on server.

It could be that the zip file is corrupt on google drive.

delboydell

Feb 11, 2003
Sheffield England
Does this have to be installed only as per your instructions, or can it be installed by putting the zip file onto the storage area of the motoactv and use clockwork mod as per the wiki instructions?

tansoftware

Sep 29, 2004
Toronto
Noticed issue with SystemUI.apk

Thank you very much for this long anticipated release :)

I'm quite impressed with the WIFI stability.

But I have noticed that the status bar shows the "No Service" grey rectangle. This makes viewing the status bar notifications difficult. My old rom had a modified SystemUI.apk that removed this grey rectangle allowing easy viewing of notifications. Any possibility of releasing a patch ?

Also, as a result of setting the SD-Card as the default install location, Google Play is not capable of updating Superuser and suspect many other non sd-card apps will face similar issues.

Once again thank you for your great work.

Last edited:

dproldan

Dec 7, 2007
Malaga
But I have noticed that the status bar shows the "No Service" grey rectangle. This makes viewing the status bar notifications difficult. My old rom had a modified SystemUI.apk that removed this grey rectangle allowing easy viewing of notifications. Any possibility of releasing a patch ?

Yes, I'll ask the person who did this (was it ClearD?) about it and release a patch for that.

Also, as a result of setting the SD-Card as the default install location, Google Play is not capable of updating Superuser and suspect many other non sd-card apps will face similar issues.

Unfortunately, I don't know what Motorola changed to do this. At the moment, SuperUser.apk not updating doesn't cause any issue, but I'll keep an eye to see if this becomes a problem.

ClearD

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 10, 2009
Gallipolis
Sorry so late getting back to the scene, I live in Ohio and we've not had internet for like the last 3 days, or cell service. Or power. Or cable. Or land line phones. Or anything of value for that matter lol :p . As soon as I can get a stock 1.7.2, I can mod things back to usable state, not a problem. Dproldan, I assume the framework has changed also? And the services.jar? If so, I could probably decompile and mod those back as well. :)

Reactions: moonzbabysh

Ke1evraTi

Oct 7, 2010
This is really awesome and I love the setup. Having music launch the app drawer makes the phone so much more usable for me than having to use a separate launcher. One issue that I am running into however is I get some FCs. Specifically gapps and system framework FC from time to time, most often when trying to launch an app.

I am also having problems uninstalling some apks. They uninstall just fine but when I reboot they are back. Do you have some script that runs at start and installs these?

I also have a hard time reading some of the menus because the background is black and the font is gray. Is there a way to change that throughout the whole system?

I added in the SpareParts apk from CM7 and it might be helpful for some other users. With it I can change font size and animation speeds among other things. I also added the AccountsAndSync settings apk to control what syncs with my gmail account. The setting menu works great and shows up with all the other MotoActv settings. After I have everything setup and running smoothly I want to flash the beats audio libs to see if I can improve the audio on this thing.

Thanks again for all the hard work everybody is putting into this.

Last edited:
Reactions: moonzbabysh

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
I put this on my device and I have to say I'm very impressed. The install process wiped like you said it would but it did not wipe my "sdcard" if I had known I would have wiped that in cwm.

Did this process remove CWM from my watch?

dproldan

Dec 7, 2007
Malaga
Glad you like it. Did you find any problem with what you had in the sdcard?

CWM should still be there, you can reboot to it with "adb reboot recovery" or installing "ROM manager"

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
Glad you like it. Did you find any problem with what you had in the sdcard?

CWM should still be there, you can reboot to it with "adb reboot recovery" or installing "ROM manager"

No issues with what was left, I've been reinstalling all my apps and cleaning things up as I go. The only issue I have so far is superuser will not update, says I cannot update it in the current location... My guess is it needs to be moved to internal or something? I haven't really looked into the issue itself yet.

EvilGenius210

Jun 7, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Before I attempt this I wanted to ask a question...

Has anyone experienced any issues?
Do I install this ROM with the same method as before?
Should I return to unrooted stock, update the motoactv to latest version then root and install rom? Or should I skip the device update while its in stock version?

Thanks guys and thanks to the devs who put in the work creating this.

lirona

Feb 24, 2008
This is a version of the stock MotoACTV system ROM 1.7.2 with several modifications that allow you to use many more android apps.

All userdata is erased when you install this, I'm not responsible with what you do with your device.

- This is already rooted, it doesn't matter what version you come from.
- Wifi stays on.

What doesn't work:

Instructions

* you need "fastboot" to be installed and working on your computer, here are instructions for windows: http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/21534/how-to-install-adb-and-fastboot-on-your-windows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

- Plug the usb cable the de MotoACTV and the computer.

Code:
 fastboot -w
 fastboot -w
 fastboot reboot

Go back to settings, Accounts & Sync, Manage accounts, press your account and enable the calendar sync.

Remember that double pressing the power button will let you choose the launcher. Some preinstalled programs need a bit of setup to adapt them to the MotoACTV, be sure to use their preferences menu and explore them.

Enjoy!

Downloads:

DPRomBeta4.zip
Download does not appear!!!
The link is BROKEN.

Can I flash this ROM with clockwork mod? I do not really get along with command line.

Thanks,
Arie.

Last edited:

janocool

Dec 24, 2010
Cuenca
i just installed the rom i got motocast and some playstore apps, but how do i activate the mass storage? medialink always pop up a message of netwrok problem in motoactv. The rest is working fine.

Prack

Dec 6, 2010
Lino Lakes, MN
You CANNOT flash this in CWM you need to follow the fastboot commands. It's very easy and takes less than a minute each line.

I do have a question for the dev though. Once I launch a launcher, adw ex for example I cannot get back into the motoactv launcher without rebooting. I tried to find a shortcut but have been unable to do so. I tried to clear adw launcher defaults but it is not set as the default launcher. I can use Jay's easy script modder to change the buttons back to what I had before but I do like the setup you have for us. Let me know what way you have been doing it.

Also I am getting some force closes, "gapps" whatever that is and some framework errors. Otherwise it's very stable and runs great.

Ke1evraTi

Oct 7, 2010
You CANNOT flash this in CWM you need to follow the fastboot commands. It's very easy and takes less than a minute each line.

I do have a question for the dev though. Once I launch a launcher, adw ex for example I cannot get back into the motoactv launcher without rebooting. I tried to find a shortcut but have been unable to do so. I tried to clear adw launcher defaults but it is not set as the default launcher. I can use Jay's easy script modder to change the buttons back to what I had before but I do like the setup you have for us. Let me know what way you have been doing it.

Also I am getting some force closes, "gapps" whatever that is and some framework errors. Otherwise it's very stable and runs great.

You press the power button twice to replicate the home button. It should also work by pressing start.

The gapps and framework fcs occur whenever enabling wifi and first connecting. I think it has something to do with google/gmail sync but I only have anecdotal evidence of this.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is a version of the stock MotoACTV system ROM 1.7.12N with several modifications that allow you to use many more android apps.

All userdata is erased when you install this from another ROM, I'm not responsible with what you do with your device.

- This is already rooted, it doesn't matter what version you come from. I receive a lot of questions about this. Really, the state of your motoactv software doesn't matter. Rooted or not rooted, stock or modified, etc.
    - Wifi stays on. Icon shows in status bar when connected. New!
    - Battery percentage modded by ClearD. (thanks!)
    - Preferences in most apps are shown black text over white background for easier reading on the MotoACTV.

What doesn't work:

Instructions

You can use ClearD's excellent image flasher http://www.cleardroidroms.com/download/click.php?id=103 (be sure to use the "wipe" button) or follow these instructions :

* you need "fastboot" to be installed and working on your computer, here are instructions for windows: http://dottech.org/tipsntricks/2153...ows-computer-for-use-with-your-android-phone/

- Plug the usb cable to the MotoACTV and the computer.

Code:
     fastboot -w
     fastboot -w
     fastboot reboot

If you are starting from a previous version of DPRom, you can try to upgrade with the following commands:
    Code:
     fastboot erase cache
     fastboot reboot

Choose also Flit keyboard and press "move to phone"
    Go back to settings, Accounts & Sync, Manage accounts, press your account and enable the calendar sync. If you don't use the calendar, leave this unselected to avoid a few ForceCloses.

Remember that double pressing the power button will let you choose the launcher. Some preinstalled programs need a bit of setup to adapt them to the MotoACTV, be sure to use their preferences menu and explore them. Some examples:
    - In flit keyboard, select first keyboard as "Small Querty", second keyboard as "small number"
    - In Zeam Launcher, preferences, action bindings, select swype up to "Toggle Full Screen" and swype down as "Expand Notifications". Also in Applications grid, set Columns LandScape completely to the left.
    - In SuperUser, press the wrench icon to enter preferences, and set "automatic response" to "allow". Otherwise you can have problems to allow apps to use the su function.
    - In Settings, Wireles & Network Settings, press the music button (menu) select avanced and setup the turn off policy to "when display goes off", press menu button again to save this setting.

Thanks to everybody reporting issues, keep them coming!

Enjoy!

Downloads:

DPRomBeta4.zip First Release 2nd July 2012

DPRomBeta7.zip Second Release 10 July 2012
    * updated to version 1.7.10, updated included android apps to their latest versions. Used Cennis91 anyroot.zip to root the stock ROM. Thanks!
    * added ClearD Battery percentage mod.
    * changed general theme to "light", now all settings menus are black text over white background, messes with some programs that have hard-coded colors. WIP.
    * Undo hack to make wifi stay on. Seems to be more stable with 1.7.10. Report if you have problems.
    * Modified SystemUI to make the pull-down notifications menu more usable. Thanks to ClearD.
    * Fixed preinstall script, now you can uninstall included apps.
    * included modified Clock and CarHome, just for testing.

DPRomBeta8 Third Release 2nd August 2012
    * updated android apps to latest versions.
    * Better "light" theme applied to app's settings, black text over white background.
    * Modified wifi to stay on for 10 minutes.
    * fixed su binary.
    * added Bluetooth settings. You can now change the name and turn it on from settings. WIP

DPRomBeta8.1 3rd august 2012
    * fixed error with Google maps

DPRomBeta9 3rd January 2013. It's better to use Beta 8.1, this version has problems when turning off wifi.
    * updated to 1.7.12N
    * wifi Icon in status bar. Wifi time out is now 24 hours.
    SleepAnalysis package

Hi, something neat to play with...

Motorola developed another "activity" called SleepAnalysis for the MotoACTV but it never was enabled.

Yesterday, in the IRC with Atarii, I thought of giving it an icon an see if I could enable it. Bingo! It seems to work quite well!

The idea of this app is to help you track how many hours of sleep you get everyday and, using your input and the accelerometer data, the quality of your sleep.

It gives you some advices about your sleep and plots the data in a couple of ways.

Attached is a package for DPRom9. to install it, connect your motoACTV to your computer and, from a command line:

Code:
    adb remount
    adb push SleepAnalysis.apk /system/app/
    adb shell chmod 644 /system/app/SleepAnalysis.apk

No reboot is needed, you should have a new icon in the App list called SleepAnalysis. Be sure to read the first instaructions, as they won't appear anymore.

I will include this in the next DPRom.

Thoughts about why it wasn't enabled by Motorola?

Enjoy!
    got the wifi icon working!

Have to share this... after countless hours, I finally got the f**king wifi signal icon to show in the status bar.
    It really bugged me that we couldn't easily see if wifi was on/off, as it was too easy to forget and leave wifi on.

attachment.php
    Working on several things at once, but got 3 things done so far tonight:
    -Just pulled cdrom.img for atarii
    -Getting my environment set up on this laptop to update flash tool for dproldan
    -Just got a working 1.7.10 (identical to 1.7.12) rom set up/flashed/running.

So far tonight, I'm a happy camper, albeit a sleepy one. Still working.

EDIT: Atarii: http://www.cleardroidroms.com/download/cdrom.rar

The rest will have to wait until tomorrow. I've made a list for myself, so hopefully I can get it all working. :) First is the flasher, the download for the software took a LOT longer tonight than expected... as did the upload of that cdrom.rar file. It's pretty big, and my workplace has something like dialup.
    I was zipping the images of a new version a few hours ago when a tragedy happened. A full glass of water over my macbook pro :( I was talking with atarii on the chat when this happened...

I've dissasembled and dryed it completely. It's booting now, but there's some water between the lcd layers that's going to take longer. The colors are all messed up too, I hope it's not permanently damaged... I'm just leaving it tonight buried in rice and hope for the best.
    Thinking about having kids? Be ready for this kind of things!

Anyway, no data has been lost, so tomorrow we'll have a new rom to flash.

I will publish the changes to systemUi needed to make the wifi icon appear tomorrow too, of course.

Next tasks: fixing audio input and the search force closes. Any idea?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda app-developers app