[Q] Nook device won't show up in adb?

Search This thread

Benjyp

Sep 18, 2010
Currently I'm trying this guide:
Nook Tablet "One Click Root" + gapps ADB script
but I've been trying various guides all day. The drivers are there, debugging enabled, auto mount disabled, robot in the bottom corner but when I run ADB Devices, no dice. Anyone have any clues what the problem could be or atleast anyone else having this problem? At first I thought it might be because I was using a different USB cord but it still doesn't work even with the Nook cord :(

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
The problem you describe is almost guaranteed to be a problem on your computer and the driver installation.

For the folks here to help, they will need to know platform (PC or mac) and version of operating system.

If Windows, they will need to know how the device appears to Device manager. If it shows up as a disk drive - you will have to disconnect from the Nook side. ADB Composite should be good.

For either platform, confirm that adb_usb.ini is in the right place and modified correctly.

Last edited:

Indirect

Mar 25, 2011
Florida
No, you're wrong dude above me.

OP: Run this in cmd prompt
Code:
echo 0x2080 > %username%\.android\adb_usb.ini

You need to have your nook tablet unplugged when you run that then you would see nook tablet in the device manager when you plug it back in.

Last edited:

Benjyp

Sep 18, 2010
No, you're wrong dude above me.

OP: Run this in cmd prompt
Code:
echo 0x2080 > %username%\.android\adb_usb.ini

"Cannot find the path specified." But I can locate the file myself in that directory??

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, device shows up as android phone>androud ADB interface.

Benjyp

Sep 18, 2010
Check, still nothing in ADB, i did restart the server too. To be clear, the .ini file only has the "0x2080" line in it now, nothing else. I'm assuming that's ok because the other stuff was commented out anyway, am I right?

(thanks for your help! :D)

Benjyp

Sep 18, 2010
I still see it listed under android phone > android ADB interface and not mass storage or anything like that, you think that's still the problem though?

*Edit*
SUCCESS!! I uninstalled the "Android ADB Interface" and "Android Composite ADB Interface" appeared in its place!!(??) Whatever happened the device show up now. Thanks for the help and keep up the good work Indirect!

Last edited:
Reactions: ScotchBroth

brices21

Dec 9, 2003
This worked for me. Hopefully it helps.

While the nook is plugged in (mine showed the 2 "Disk Drives" and 2 Drive Letters under portable devices). Open Device Manager and delete/remove the 2 disk drives called "B&N NOOK Tablet USB Device" (this should also remove the weird drive letters under portable devices). Now go to Control Panel > Advanced System Settings > Hardware Tab > then click "Device Installation Settings". Change this setting to "No, let me choose what to do", and make sure "Never install driver software from Windows Update" is checked below that.

Now unplug and replug your NT, and you should now see an Android Composite device with the "!" next to it. You should now be able to install the custom drivers described in the other posts.

Essentially it seems windows is trying to "help" you by guessing at the drivers you want to use.

If this doesn't work, you can try to remove ALL android devices using the USBDeview Application that you can find http://www.androidsim.net/2009/08/how-to-1-how-to-install-usb-driver-on.html

I used USBDeview for the removal part just because I had a Kindle fire, HTC device, samsung device, all installed and I think they were fighting a little bit. I now have results from adb devices, and dare I say ROOT!?!?! :)

Hope this helps some of you!

Reactions: bignadad and rmm200

rmm200

Apr 15, 2011
Bend
Good post - Windows Vista especially, and Windows 7 somewhat, really think they know better than the user when it comes to drivers. Especially unsigned drivers in preference to signed ones...

tsubus

Dec 1, 2010
plus.google.com
I found that the best way to do this for people with this problem (such as me), is to go in Device Manager, expand the USB Mass Storage Device selection, search for the USB Mass Storage device of your Nook Tablet (easiest way would be to unplug any other external hd, sd card, ... so that there is only one USB Mass Storage device). At this point, right click and update driver and select the folder manually.

PurpleSh4rk

Nov 24, 2011
I found that the best way to do this for people with this problem (such as me), is to go in Device Manager, expand the USB Mass Storage Device selection, search for the USB Mass Storage device of your Nook Tablet (easiest way would be to unplug any other external hd, sd card, ... so that there is only one USB Mass Storage device). At this point, right click and update driver and select the folder manually.
I just joined the forum to thank you! I spent hours looking for a solution and yours worked!

jimmysuggs

Nov 16, 2011
While the nook is plugged in (mine showed the 2 "Disk Drives" and 2 Drive Letters under portable devices). Open Device Manager and delete/remove the 2 disk drives called "B&N NOOK Tablet USB Device" (this should also remove the weird drive letters under portable devices). Now go to Control Panel > Advanced System Settings > Hardware Tab > then click "Device Installation Settings". Change this setting to "No, let me choose what to do", and make sure "Never install driver software from Windows Update" is checked below that.!

Well I am stumped here, seriously. I can't get rid of the above mentioned 2 instances of "B&N NOOK Tablet USB Device" no matter what I do. Auto mount is off on the device and the device installation setting is already set to "No, let me choose what to do." Yet every time I plug the NT in- the computer kindly tells me it's "ready for use" and those two "B&N NOOK Tablet USB Device" listings are back. At this point I'm not sure I'm ever gonna be able to get the device to show up under ADB. The computer just won't seem to let it.

Any advice anyone might on this would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

eggz

Mar 17, 2009
The website is below what I did to completely disable Windows from installing the Nook drivers every time it is plugged in. I also had the "Never install driver software from Windows Update" checked from Brices21's post but the drivers would still install everytime it is plugged in.

xxxx = http - still a noob, can't post links
yyy = www

xxxx://yyy.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/

I never actually installed the USB drivers that indirect provided, but "adb devices" still detected the NT when plugged in.

This was my whole process to get "adb devices" to detect the NT:

With the NT plugged in and device manager detecting the 2 Nook devices as drives and 2 Nook devices in "other devices" and with automount disabled and USB debugging enabled

I also ran the runmefirst.bat at some point in time previously, so the necessary files were created already

***** Pulled this from the website above******
* Go to Start–>Search type in gpedit.msc
* Click the file to open the Local Group Policy Editor and show Windows who is in control!!
* You want to go here: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->System->Device Installation. Click on the subfolder Device Installation on the left and on the right side you will see the possible restrictions.
* Right Click on Prevent Installation of Devices not described by other policy settings and edit this option, set it on ENABLED.

From here the website says to reboot and set the option back to default. I did not reboot or set the option back.
* Going back into device manager, I uninstalled the drivers for the 2 Nook drive devices.
* Unplugged the NT
* Plugged the NT back in
Then I got the B&N NOOK Tablet USB Device with the broken symbol under "Other devices" in Device Manager
* Open cmd and run "abd devices" from the ntroot directory
The service should start and list the NT device as a bunch of numbers.
* From here you can run NookandZergy.bat to root the NT.

After rooting you can set the options in the gpedit.msc back to defaults.

I also tried installing the Indirect provided drivers as the USB mass storage device. Windows then detected the device as an Android ADB Composite device but "adb devices" from cmd prompt would not detect the NT. I ended up removing all of the drivers and repeating my steps to get "adb devices" to detect it again.

Hope this helps! It may not be the best solution but it was a workaround for me to get the NT rooted.

****Update*****

Just got home and tried to install the drivers and it worked this time. I was able to see the NT with "adb devices"

With the gpedit.msc edit intact, I plugged in the NT and Windows detected 2 broken Nook devices under "other devices" and a mass storage device under USB controllers.
* I uninstalled the driver for the mass storage device
* set the gpedit.msc back to "not configured"
* unplugged NT
* made sure debug mode was set and automount disabled
* plugged NT back in
Device manager showed a Mass Storage device under "Other devices"
* Update drivers for that device with the Indirect usb driver
* ran "adb devices" in cmd prompt and NT is detected.

So if there's anything to take away from my post...hopefully you can use the gpedit.msc to completely disable the autoloading of drivers.

Last edited:

buck2jeff

Mar 13, 2008
Drivers Fixed!

Rooted! Got past driver issues (Android Composite ADB Interface appeared in Device Manager, adb still couldn't detect Nook). Thanks to all who have worked so many hours on this.

Here's what worked for me (using Windows XP 32 bit):

1. make sure "adb_ini" file contains "0x2080" and is located at "%USERPROFILE%\.android"

2. I had to manually edit my "path=" environment variable to include the above location - both in Control Panel->System->Advanced->Environment Variables and in cmd window.

3. carefully followed instructions on proper installation of drivers for "Android Composite ADB Interface". At this point, cmd window use of adb was able to detect Nook (as well as runmefirst.bat).

4. Continued with root process (i.e. NookandZergy.bat)

Hope this helps anyone still having driver issues.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    My bad it's
    Code:
    echo 0x2080 > "%USERPROFILE%\.Android\adb_usb.ini
    This worked for me. Hopefully it helps.

While the nook is plugged in (mine showed the 2 "Disk Drives" and 2 Drive Letters under portable devices). Open Device Manager and delete/remove the 2 disk drives called "B&N NOOK Tablet USB Device" (this should also remove the weird drive letters under portable devices). Now go to Control Panel > Advanced System Settings > Hardware Tab > then click "Device Installation Settings". Change this setting to "No, let me choose what to do", and make sure "Never install driver software from Windows Update" is checked below that.

Now unplug and replug your NT, and you should now see an Android Composite device with the "!" next to it. You should now be able to install the custom drivers described in the other posts.

Essentially it seems windows is trying to "help" you by guessing at the drivers you want to use.

If this doesn't work, you can try to remove ALL android devices using the USBDeview Application that you can find http://www.androidsim.net/2009/08/how-to-1-how-to-install-usb-driver-on.html

I used USBDeview for the removal part just because I had a Kindle fire, HTC device, samsung device, all installed and I think they were fighting a little bit. I now have results from adb devices, and dare I say ROOT!?!?! :)

Hope this helps some of you!
    1) look in device manager now though, you need to install the drivers.
    I still see it listed under android phone > android ADB interface and not mass storage or anything like that, you think that's still the problem though?

*Edit*
    SUCCESS!! I uninstalled the "Android ADB Interface" and "Android Composite ADB Interface" appeared in its place!!(??) Whatever happened the device show up now. Thanks for the help and keep up the good work Indirect!