[APP MOD] Exchange Security Bypass (No PIN/No Admin) - Android 4.1+ [v6.0]

Search This thread

craigacgomez

Jan 29, 2010
Tustin
The Android Email application enforces various security policies such as PIN/password lockscreen, device administration. remote wipe, blocked attachments, etc. based on your Exchange server security requirements.

The aim of this patch is to bypass those security enforcements and allow you to set up an Exchange account without any security restrictions. This is achieved through various code modification in the AOSP Email application where security policies are checked and enforced. These modifications bypass the creation of the various security policies and forcefully makes the application think that all the security policies are enabled. For example, one part of this modification completely bypasses the Device Administrator creation and forcefully returns a true every time the code check if the account is a device administrator.

This modification is based on AOSP (or AOSP derivatives) and should work on any stock Google ROMs or AOSP-based ROMs like CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, Evervolv, SlimRoms, Carbon. There, however, is no guarantee that this will work on all ROMs or devices, especially OEM ROMs like Sense, Touchwiz, Blur, etc.

IMPORTANT:
Since this modification disables the enforcement of Exchange security policies, it may be illegal and may violate your workplace/school policies. If you chose to install and use this modification, please remember that you are doing so at your own discretion. I, craigacgomez, cannot and will not be held responsible for any issues, legal, technical or otherwise, that may arise due to the use of this modification.

The latest version of this modification is based on AOSP android-4.4.2_r1 (KOT49H) and should work on Android 4.1+. However, should you encounter any issues, please use the previous version of this patch.

PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS THREAD PROPERLY, ESPECIALLY THE KNOWN ISSUES AND INSTRUCTIONS

CHANGELOG:
v6.0
1. Rebased to AOSP android-4.4.2_r1 (KOT49H)
2. Made some modifications to the bypass code to fix issues with storage encryption
3. Improved robustness of the bypass logic
4. Added backuptools script for custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, SlimRoms, etc. which will automatically restore the mod after re-flashes and/or updates to the ROM. Credit @BlackFang171

v5.0.1
1. Fix manual user app install on Google Stock ROMs. Only the manual install package has been updated.

v5.0
1. Built using AOSP android-4.4_r1.1 (KTR16O)
2. Rebuilt the modification from ground up and added several bypasses to improve robustness of the modification
3. Disables remote wipe functionality
4. No longer requires modifications in the Exchange apk. All modification are in Email apk
4. Should also work on any Google stock/AOSP-based ROMs running Android 4.1.x, 4.2.x & 4.3.x (untested)

v4.0
1. Rebased to the CM-10.2 (Android 4.3) source. This release is only intended for Android 4.3.x. For prior versions of Android, flash the appropriate mod release below.

v3.1
1. Small bugfixes to "really" make sure that we fake that all security policies are active. This is basically making "really" sure that the device does not ask you to set up any security policies. It can be safely flashed over v3.0 without having to remove & re-setup the account. However, updating from any earlier version would still require you to remove and re-setup the account.

v3.0
1. Built using the latest updates from the CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) source as of July 20, 2013.
2. Published source code to GitHub (link below)
3. Fixes and updates to the patch changes
4. No longer requires that the account be setup as a "Device Administrator"

v2.0
1. Built using the CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) source
2. Some nice additions and fixes over the AOSP version like LED notification support, blocked attachment extensions selection and more.

INSTRUCTIONS [RECOVERY VERSION]:
1. Download the zip file named ExchangeNoPIN-xxxx
2. Remove all existing Exchange accounts and wipe data for Email/EmailGoogle & Exchange2/Exchange2Google
3. Make a nandroid backup (optional, but recommended)
4. Flash the zip using ClockworkMod Recovery, TWRP or a similar recovery
5. Wipe cache & dalvik-cache
6. Reboot and set up you Exchange account(s)

INSTRUCTIONS [MANUAL USER APP INSTALL]: (UNTESTED)
1. Download the zip file named ExchangeNoPINNoRoot-xxxx
2. Remove all existing Exchange accounts and wipe data for Email/EmailGoogle & Exchange2/Exchange2Google
4. Stock ROMs: Disable/freeze EmailGoogle.apk (com.google.android.email) & Exchange2Google.apk (com.google.android.exchange)
5. AOSP-based ROMs: Uninstall/remove Email.apk (com.android.email)
6. Stock ROMs: Extract the zip file and install Email.apk & Exchange2.apk
7. AOSP-based ROMs: Extract the zip file and install Email.apk
8. Reboot and set up you Exchange account(s)

INSTRUCTIONS [MANUAL SYSTEM APP INSTALL]:
4. Stock ROMs: Uninstall/remove EmailGoogle.apk (com.google.android.email) & Exchange2Google.apk (com.google.android.exchange)
6. Stock ROMs: Extract the zip file and copy Email.apk & Exchange2.apk to /system/app
7. AOSP-based ROMs: Extract the zip file and copy Email.apk to /system/app

KNOWN ISSUES
None that I know of!

IMPORTANT:
1. For patch version 4.0 and earlier, you need to have a device with a custom recovery or a rooted device.
2. Root is not required unless you wish to apply this patch manually by replacing the files in /system/app.
3. After you flash this, make sure you DO NOT replace the Email or Exchange apks with themed versions or you will have issues.
4. If you use the ExchangeNoPIN-xxxx zip version, you may need to reflash this every time you update your ROM.
5. Before upgrading to a newer version of this patch (example v2.0 to v3.0), you need to remove all existing Exchange accounts.

CREDITS:
The base of this modification is the EmailPolicyPatch created by rustamabd. I have made these change to the AOSP source rather than smali patches to pre-compiled version and I have expanded the capabilities of the modification.

DOWNLOAD v6.0 (Android 4.1+):
ExchangeNoPIN-v6.0.zip
ExchangeNoPINNoRoot-v6.0.zip

DOWNLOAD v5.0 (Android 4.1+):
ExchangeNoPIN-v5.0.zip
ExchangeNoPIN-Manual-v5.0.1.zip

DOWNLOAD v4.0 (Android 4.3.x):
ExchangeNoPIN-4.3.x.zip

DOWNLOAD v2.0 (Android 4.2.x):
ExchangeNoPIN-4.2.x.zip

DOWNLOAD v1.0 (Android 4.1.x):
Stock OTA Android 4.1.x
AOSP Android 4.1.x
CM10 Android 4.1.x

SOURCE (Android 4.4.x):
GitHub

SOURCE (Android 4.3.x/4.2.x):
GitHub

Last edited:

pchuk815

Sep 22, 2010
New Jersey
This is exactly what I'm looking for but seems like the link is dead - 404's.

Edit: Thanks for the updates! Works beautifully!

Last edited:

matt68000

Jun 29, 2012
Please re-up!

Thanks, this seems to work. I can get my company email without a pin lock. Great!

Now... every time I try to open the phone dialer I get:
"Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped"
Am I alone in this?

Last edited:

knave

Mar 28, 2007
Are there any diff between ICS's email client and JB's email client?

djg08642

Feb 7, 2008
I think the link is dead again (in a different way). I tried removing the key parameter from the end of the download URL and managed to get a file but get a Status 6 in ClockworkMod when installing even after attempting to re-sign.

[user@host jellybean]$ md5sum ExchangeNoPIN-JRN84D.zip
47d88ad677b4b8d24d1581ab30edc275 ExchangeNoPIN-JRN84D.zip

Last edited:

Skilover

Jan 25, 2008
I think the link is dead again (in a different way). I tried removing the key parameter from the end of the download URL and managed to get a file but get a Status 6 in ClockworkMod when installing even after attempting to re-sign.

[user@host jellybean]$ md5sum ExchangeNoPIN-JRN84D.zip
47d88ad677b4b8d24d1581ab30edc275 ExchangeNoPIN-JRN84D.zip

It just sits and sits but never actually downloads. Tried it on Chrome-Mac.

matt68000

Jun 29, 2012
New link

I'll just mirror it here:
internetonastick.net/tmp/ExchangeNoPIN-JRN84D.zip

[edit, original torrent not working, Transmission Tracker announce borked]
I created a torrent of the original zip.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:8994226f9aaa3bc0514274808a1d413adb274adf&dn=ExchangeNoPIN-JRN84D.zip&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.bittorrent.am%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fvip.tracker.thepiratebay.org%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftpb.tracker.thepiratebay.org%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrentbox.com%3A2710%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.thepiratebay.org%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrentbox.com%3A2710%2Fannounce

Last edited:

chadstone30

May 1, 2010
New York, NY
I get the same Error 6.

---------- Post added at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

I just manually replaced the two files in system/app with the two files extracted from the .zip in the original post. thanks very much!

pchuk815

Sep 22, 2010
New Jersey
I've been running this for about a week now and I've noticed my battery life plummet. Checked the usage stats and Exchange services was using about 60% of my battery. Any ideas?

sitaramp

Sep 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Does not work with modoco jelly beans ROM
Tried following
- remove all exchange accounts
-CWM zip install fails with error status 6
-using Root explorer replacing two files, change owner,permission to root.
- reboot

What am I missing?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Android Email application enforces various security policies such as PIN/password lockscreen, device administration. remote wipe, blocked attachments, etc. based on your Exchange server security requirements.

The aim of this patch is to bypass those security enforcements and allow you to set up an Exchange account without any security restrictions. This is achieved through various code modification in the AOSP Email application where security policies are checked and enforced. These modifications bypass the creation of the various security policies and forcefully makes the application think that all the security policies are enabled. For example, one part of this modification completely bypasses the Device Administrator creation and forcefully returns a true every time the code check if the account is a device administrator.

This modification is based on AOSP (or AOSP derivatives) and should work on any stock Google ROMs or AOSP-based ROMs like CyanogenMod, AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, Evervolv, SlimRoms, Carbon. There, however, is no guarantee that this will work on all ROMs or devices, especially OEM ROMs like Sense, Touchwiz, Blur, etc.

IMPORTANT:
    Since this modification disables the enforcement of Exchange security policies, it may be illegal and may violate your workplace/school policies. If you chose to install and use this modification, please remember that you are doing so at your own discretion. I, craigacgomez, cannot and will not be held responsible for any issues, legal, technical or otherwise, that may arise due to the use of this modification.

The latest version of this modification is based on AOSP android-4.4.2_r1 (KOT49H) and should work on Android 4.1+. However, should you encounter any issues, please use the previous version of this patch.

PLEASE READ THROUGH THIS THREAD PROPERLY, ESPECIALLY THE KNOWN ISSUES AND INSTRUCTIONS

CHANGELOG:
    v6.0
    2. Made some modifications to the bypass code to fix issues with storage encryption
    4. Added backuptools script for custom ROMs like CyanogenMod, SlimRoms, etc. which will automatically restore the mod after re-flashes and/or updates to the ROM. Credit @BlackFang171

v5.0.1
    1. Fix manual user app install on Google Stock ROMs. Only the manual install package has been updated.

v5.0
    1. Built using AOSP android-4.4_r1.1 (KTR16O)
    2. Rebuilt the modification from ground up and added several bypasses to improve robustness of the modification
    3. Disables remote wipe functionality
    4. No longer requires modifications in the Exchange apk. All modification are in Email apk
    4. Should also work on any Google stock/AOSP-based ROMs running Android 4.1.x, 4.2.x & 4.3.x (untested)

v4.0
    1. Rebased to the CM-10.2 (Android 4.3) source. This release is only intended for Android 4.3.x. For prior versions of Android, flash the appropriate mod release below.

v3.1
    1. Small bugfixes to "really" make sure that we fake that all security policies are active. This is basically making "really" sure that the device does not ask you to set up any security policies. It can be safely flashed over v3.0 without having to remove & re-setup the account. However, updating from any earlier version would still require you to remove and re-setup the account.

v3.0
    1. Built using the latest updates from the CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) source as of July 20, 2013.
    2. Published source code to GitHub (link below)
    3. Fixes and updates to the patch changes
    4. No longer requires that the account be setup as a "Device Administrator"

v2.0
    1. Built using the CyanogenMod 10.1 (Android 4.2.2) source
    2. Some nice additions and fixes over the AOSP version like LED notification support, blocked attachment extensions selection and more.

INSTRUCTIONS [RECOVERY VERSION]:
    4. Flash the zip using ClockworkMod Recovery, TWRP or a similar recovery
    5. Wipe cache & dalvik-cache
    6. Reboot and set up you Exchange account(s)

INSTRUCTIONS [MANUAL USER APP INSTALL]: (UNTESTED)
    1. Download the zip file named ExchangeNoPINNoRoot-xxxx
    4. Stock ROMs: Disable/freeze EmailGoogle.apk (com.google.android.email) & Exchange2Google.apk (com.google.android.exchange)
    6. Stock ROMs: Extract the zip file and install Email.apk & Exchange2.apk
    7. AOSP-based ROMs: Extract the zip file and install Email.apk

INSTRUCTIONS [MANUAL SYSTEM APP INSTALL]:
    4. Stock ROMs: Uninstall/remove EmailGoogle.apk (com.google.android.email) & Exchange2Google.apk (com.google.android.exchange)
    6. Stock ROMs: Extract the zip file and copy Email.apk & Exchange2.apk to /system/app
    7. AOSP-based ROMs: Extract the zip file and copy Email.apk to /system/app

KNOWN ISSUES
    None that I know of!

IMPORTANT:
    1. For patch version 4.0 and earlier, you need to have a device with a custom recovery or a rooted device.
    2. Root is not required unless you wish to apply this patch manually by replacing the files in /system/app.
    3. After you flash this, make sure you DO NOT replace the Email or Exchange apks with themed versions or you will have issues.
    4. If you use the ExchangeNoPIN-xxxx zip version, you may need to reflash this every time you update your ROM.
    5. Before upgrading to a newer version of this patch (example v2.0 to v3.0), you need to remove all existing Exchange accounts.

CREDITS:
    The base of this modification is the EmailPolicyPatch created by rustamabd. I have made these change to the AOSP source rather than smali patches to pre-compiled version and I have expanded the capabilities of the modification.

DOWNLOAD v6.0 (Android 4.1+):
    ExchangeNoPIN-v6.0.zip
    ExchangeNoPINNoRoot-v6.0.zip

DOWNLOAD v5.0 (Android 4.1+):
    ExchangeNoPIN-v5.0.zip
    ExchangeNoPIN-Manual-v5.0.1.zip

DOWNLOAD v4.0 (Android 4.3.x):
    ExchangeNoPIN-4.3.x.zip

DOWNLOAD v2.0 (Android 4.2.x):
    ExchangeNoPIN-4.2.x.zip

DOWNLOAD v1.0 (Android 4.1.x):
    Stock OTA Android 4.1.x
    AOSP Android 4.1.x
    CM10 Android 4.1.x

SOURCE (Android 4.4.x):
    GitHub

SOURCE (Android 4.3.x/4.2.x):
    GitHub
    CM-13.0 patch

I've patched stock CM-13.0 Email/Exchange apk to bypass all exchange security.
    Flash it from recovery.

Remember to reflash this package after each rom reflash as there are no OTA survival scripts.

I'm still on CM-12.1 so please let me know if it works on your CM-13.0 rom or not.
    In case of any issues reflash your rom and the apk will be back to original.

The package (and its later versions) can be dowloaded from here LINK

Will it work on other roms than CM-13?
    I don't know. If your rom is based on AOSP/CM-13.0 most probably it will work, otherwise probably not.

Where are sources of this patch?
    https://github.com/rawi666/android_packages_apps_Email
    https://github.com/rawi666/android_packages_apps_Exchange
    At least in Android L Gmail 5 and AOSP E-Mail 5 can coexist on a system, no matter if patched or not. It should work with KitKat also, but I didn't test this particular scenario. My Note 10.1 just has the new Email patched, but not the Gmail Exchange as my Xperia does.

However, KK-Users can find the patched Gmail 5 Exchange attached, Gmail itself doesn't need to be touched. Copy the APK into /system/app/ and set permissions to rw-r--r-- as usual. This should add the Exchange ActiveSync connector to Gmail 5 (remember, I didn't test this on KK).

In my cases the sync works flawlessly, no difference to the former versions from OP or the Xposed solution (had each setup running already in the past).

When the system asks for activation of the device administrator, just confirm - nothing will happen ;)
    Updated mod in OP... non-root installable version coming soon!

v6.0
    Going to build the Android 4.4 version today or tomorrow (as time permits)... this new version improves the robustness of this patch and even disables remote wipe! Theoretically this should work on Android 4.2+