Galaxy S II very hot

Search This thread

_Zabuza_

May 30, 2012
Overheating happen mostly when u flash something. I have this issues too. The cpu is usally at max freq and causes overheating. What i do after flashing is always check if cpu is functioning good i. e. min and max feq. with cpu spy. If not usally a simple reboot fixes the issue.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

M

m.kochan10

It's not only a samsung thing, if you go through e.g. HTC One S, Xperia S general sections you'll find exactly the same issues.
Anyway, after last update (XWLPG) my battery lasts 2 days( and 3h 8 min screen on).
idle - 21-22 centigrades (no deep sleep issues at all)

Last time my phone got really hot (temp over 50 degrees) was after flashing last CM7 nigtly. I was restoring apps via WiFi and charging battery att the same time. Damn it was hot. It's been always warm but never that hot. Another time, I was restoring backup (from recovery menu, which means no automatic reboot :) ) and just left device with charger plugged in. You can imagine my surprise when I came back after 20 minutes ;)

M

m.kochan10

My wife's phone is cooking after just charging overnight. No gaming no GPS. Seems way to hot for no use and just sitting on the desk. Any thoughts?

I would try different roms, kernels. If no difference (and i'm afraid it will be the case here) then service.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

illmatic24

Dec 9, 2010
Toronto
I am using Navigon software. I played Angry Birth and the same,phone was hot after 5min. I know is normal that phone is warm, but this is not warm,but hot.Galaxy S was cold compare to S II.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA App

"Angry Birth"?! What kind of twisted game is that??

Regarding the original topic, yes mine gets hot right under the camera sensor sometimes too, I believe that's where the processor is located but usually only happens when I'm doing something processor intensive such as gaming.

Last edited:

happymonk

Jun 26, 2012
My suggestion is to flash custom kernel and lower the maximum CPU frequency. I flashed Siyah kernel 3.3.2 to my stock ICS ROM 4.0.3 LP9 (rooted) and lower my maximum frequency to 800MHz and set my minimum frequency to 100MHz. It does decrease the heat generated while maintaining the usability of the phone.

Nick Fury

May 24, 2012
Coventry
My phone gets way too hot for my liking to be honest. I mean i only need to be on the internet or fb or emails for just 5 mins and its burning my hand lo. Weird thing thiugh is when i pull the battery out it isnt hot and nir is my sid card or card holder. But only in the screen and the camera.

I heard there was a fix for the international version of s2 phone but mine in the uk doesnt seem to have one.

Was wondering if there is anything to help this lol.

I never use screen at full brightness. Never have gps running or wifi either.

Never leave apps running in background also clear from task manager.

fluidz

Jan 30, 2010
I wish i could agree with you. Flashing that modem made no difference to my temps whatsoever using 4.03 neat lite rom.

usandthem1973

Mar 20, 2012
Maybe it's something normal. All the android devices that I've used get hot, some more than others, mostly when you overclock.

But the design of the processor itself also matters, I've read that Qualcomm cpu's are better at keeping the temperature safe.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda app-developers app

Bayangan

Jul 28, 2009
My phone using ICS stock is working fine.
But now I got those "burning" experience after I use CM10 JB.
The only time it was hot is during the first 30 mins after boot up. After that it goes back to cool (normal temp), but during the burning time it drains the battery like 15-20% even its just doing nothing (I'm not using the phone at all). And the heat makes it quite impossible to use the phone because too hot for the ear.
I have tried multiple ROM (Slim, CM10, Ressurection) all giving the same heat on boot up.

I'm using the Baseband DXLP7 and gonna try flash to LQ6 soon.
I hope this can fix... But according to the battery history usage, OS is eating like 47% of the usage instead the GSM radio... (makes me think more before flashing to LQ6)...

Kyuuba

Apr 11, 2013
Mine gets very, very hot when playing games, specially Dead Trigger from Madfinger games.
I don't know if this Siyah-Dorimanx kernel ver. 8.14 throttles the cpu when it gets hot as i can't ask for that info in the Dev thread but aparently, the phone runs fine at that high temp.
Sometimes, my fingers on my left hand hurts when it happens and i wonder why it gets that hot since i set the Max OC frequency on the Stweak app to 1.6 Ghz.

Mcjim113

Apr 15, 2010
My phone using ICS stock is working fine.
But now I got those "burning" experience after I use CM10 JB.
The only time it was hot is during the first 30 mins after boot up. After that it goes back to cool (normal temp), but during the burning time it drains the battery like 15-20% even its just doing nothing (I'm not using the phone at all). And the heat makes it quite impossible to use the phone because too hot for the ear.
I have tried multiple ROM (Slim, CM10, Ressurection) all giving the same heat on boot up.

I'm using the Baseband DXLP7 and gonna try flash to LQ6 soon.
I hope this can fix... But according to the battery history usage, OS is eating like 47% of the usage instead the GSM radio... (makes me think more before flashing to LQ6)...

I think the heat up and battery drain you're experiencing is more to do with the media scanner, the more you have on the SD card the longer it takes to run on boot up. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yep, very normal. However I did find that using GPS really heated things up... next hottest is games

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium App
    Yep, very normal. However I did find that using GPS really heated things up... next hottest is games ...

probably using that particular GPS software, not just GPS antenna by itself?

does it heat up if you just display GMaps with your location, without doing anything heavy in GMaps? Because I did not notice that much heat coming from using light GPS apps. Gaming - yes, some of those games are killers.
    Been running tons of different ROMs on tons of different Android devices, and every once in a while there is a particular combo that gets tremendously hot.
    Once had my N1 get so hot while using Co-Pilot Live and Spotify while plugged into a car charger, that it turned off and wouldn't come on again for some 5-10 minutes.. Definitely worrying.. Switched ROMs and never saw the problem again.
    Some of google play apps provide ability to get full system information about battery.

mine gets hot too cuz of playing mc3

Sent from my kickass GT-I9100,using XDA premium.
    I think its very normal although I'd wish it wouldn't be.. I mean it's a mobile phone.. anyway no need to be concerned about it.. You wouldn't be if it was a normal PC, would you? Ain't no diffenrence :D