[Q][solved] Firewater s-off - can only get it to work on 1-of-2 devices

Search This thread

erikalin

Sep 4, 2012
Twin Cities, Mini Soda USA
Update: Solved.
Summary of issue: two identical devices side-by-side, s-off by Firewater works fine on one and won't work on the other. This rules out a lot of possible issues and so this was not an "I don't know how to use firewater's s-off method" post.
Solution: Factory reset FOUR TIMES. On the fourth factory reset, things worked.
Lesson learned: (After you make sure you're actually doing everything right and with the right files) you might actually have to give this many tries.
Cheers.
Thanks @pjim @Dodge DeBoulet @wtoj34

Hey everybody, Recognized Contributor here, usually the one who’s glad to help everybody else, and I’m totally… at a loss. Thanks X 10 for ANY help. I’m looking forward to contributing and modding on the Verizon M8 soon!

Issue: Two identical CDMA M8 devices, both on my Verizon account. Literally the same activation, using the same usb port, usb cable, computer and human:

:) Device #1: temproot using WeakSauce.apk; s-off using Firewater; installed the CWM recovery for our device; made a nandroid; flashed iB4STiD’s SkyFall ROM. ALL GOOD 100%.

:( Device #2: temproot using WeakSauce.apk; …. Firewater’s s-off will not do its thing with device #2. It goes only this far:

Code:
Do you understand the implications of these warnings? (Yes/No)
Yes
!!If firewater hangs for more than 2 minutes or device enters qhusb mode, hold power for 60 seconds !!
…………………………………
……………………………….
……….. (indefinitely until I disconnect; I've waited 30 minutes just to be sure)

So it STOPS BEFORE the “preparing… the first bottle is open…chugging… ” part.

But… it ran five minutes before. Device #1 is good to go. Device #2? I’ve tried the hold power for 60 seconds thing, used different usb cables, different ports (hey, maybe something broke in the 30 seconds between devices?), redownloaded everything, matched MD5 checksums anyway, hard reboot via adb, repeat, start over like ten times…

For the love of God, can anyone think of what I can be doing wrong?

Last edited:

pjim

Jul 18, 2009
San Diego
Hey everybody, Recognized Contributor here, usually the one who’s glad to help everybody else, and I’m totally… at a loss. Thanks X 10 for ANY help. I’m looking forward to contributing and modding on the Verizon M8 soon!

Issue: Two identical CDMA M8 devices, both on my Verizon account. Literally the same activation, using the same usb port, usb cable, computer and human:

:) Device #1: temproot using WeakSauce.apk; s-off using Firewater; installed the CWM recovery for our device; made a nandroid; flashed iB4STiD’s SkyFall ROM. ALL GOOD 100%.

:( Device #2: temproot using WeakSauce.apk; …. Firewater’s s-off will not do its thing with device #2. It goes only this far:

Code:
Yes
!!If firewater hangs for more than 2 minutes or device enters qhusb mode, hold power for 60 seconds !!
…………………………………
……………………………….

But… it ran five minutes before. Device #1 is good to go. Device #2? I’ve tried the hold power for 60 seconds thing, used different usb cables, different ports (hey, maybe something broke in the 30 seconds between devices?), redownloaded everything, matched MD5 checksums anyway, hard reboot via adb, repeat, start over like ten times…

As an auto technician, when someone says my car wont start my first question is, is there any gas in it? The first thing I would look for is the root. I have literally had weaksauce take up to 3 minutes to get root. If in the excitement you start adb and get firewater running before you get root, it cant write to the system and would get stopped,probably around where you are getting stopped. Make sure root is working before you even plug in the cable. Do something simple like start a root app and grant it before you start. As I read through these forums forums I've seen that this device is not consistent in it's behavior. One will not be the same as the other. Could even be internal, might consider an exchange. Usb ports fail all the time.

Reactions: erikalin

erikalin

Sep 4, 2012
Hi. Thanks for taking the time. Yes, I'm waiting for root. Adb wouldn't be able to access root if, well, it didn't have access to root. (Not being sarcastic, just check-listing in my head.) I also have my laptop set to make a noise when it has root access. USB port is fine. Ugh. :/ I'm not sure I can come up with any reason to exchange. Thanks for trying. Cheers.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dodge DeBoulet

Mar 4, 2012
Hi. Thanks for taking the time. Yes, I'm waiting for root. Adb wouldn't be able to access root if, well, it didn't have access to root. (Not being sarcastic, just check-listing in my head.) I also have my laptop set to make a noise when it has root access. USB port is fine. Ugh. :/ I'm not sure I can come up with any reason to exchange. Thanks for trying. Cheers.

I'm assuming you don't have any additional security measures enabled, such as a pattern or password lock (disabling that stuff is in most of the how-to's I've seen). Have you attempted a factory reset/do-over from scratch?

wtoj34

Jan 28, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Try some of these I picked up from other forums. Have you tried factory resetting the device? Have you tried re installing adb on your computer? Have you tried removing the firewater file from your phone, and re download it on the pc? Does the firewater file have a (1) next to it? Have you tried uninstalling weak sauce and super su and do adb reboot on your pc then re root? Are you using the same account on your pc as your other phone?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

erikalin

Sep 4, 2012
I'm assuming you don't have any additional security measures enabled, such as a pattern or password lock (disabling that stuff is in most of the how-to's I've seen). Have you attempted a factory reset/do-over from scratch?
Hi. Thanks for taking the time to try to help me out. Yes, no security/lock stuff. Have tried factory reset and do-over from scratch at least twice, no joy.

Have you tried factory resetting the device? Have you tried re installing adb on your computer? Have you tried removing the firewater file from your phone, and re download it on the pc? Does the firewater file have a (1) next to it? Have you tried uninstalling weak sauce and super su and do adb reboot on your pc then re root? Are you using the same account on your pc as your other phone?
Appreciate you taking the time. No need to reinstall adb stuff on my computer (I use the Android SDK for a lot of things; it's fine). Accounts on PC don't matter. Just "thinking out loud" here. I think I've done every combination of your other ideas too. Thanks again for sharing the ideas though...

There's either something I can't think of trying OR there's some odd little thing wrong inside the second device, and I can't think of any legit reason to bring it back for replacement because it otherwise acts fine. Ah well. People have bigger problems, lol. ;) Cheers.

Update: Solved. See OP.

Last edited:

Dodge DeBoulet

Mar 4, 2012
Summary of issue: two identical devices side-by-side, s-off by Firewater works fine on one and won't work on the other.
Lesson learned: You might actually have to give this many tries.
Cheers.

Wow, never would have guessed that repeated FRs would do the trick. Was that 4 in a row after your previous attempts, or 4 total throughout the entire S-OFF ordeal?

My own experience was entirely uneventful; the only bit of panic I've experienced with this remarkable phone was well after the root/S-OFF activity, during the installation of GSAM Battery Monitor. Installation of the root companion package required a reboot, and nothing appeared to happen after the confirmation button was pressed. When I manually rebooted, I got what seemed to be a "White Screen 'o Death," with no response from the usual reboot key combo. At some point the display went dark and I was sure it was bricked. I eventually tried the 60 second power button press, though, and it booted normally. Incidentally, GSAM appeared to be successfully installed as well.

dbroadus2007

Aug 18, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
USB 2.0 vs 3.0

I also haven't had any good luck with the firewater s off...mine hangs right after I say "Yes" then my phone diaconnects from adb and I have to start the process over again.

I've tried over 30 times, but I think it's been on usb 3.0 ports. I'm going to try on 2.0 and if that doesn't work...factory reset time...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:
    Yes
    …………………………………
    ……………………………….

As an auto technician, when someone says my car wont start my first question is, is there any gas in it? The first thing I would look for is the root. I have literally had weaksauce take up to 3 minutes to get root. If in the excitement you start adb and get firewater running before you get root, it cant write to the system and would get stopped,probably around where you are getting stopped. Make sure root is working before you even plug in the cable. Do something simple like start a root app and grant it before you start. As I read through these forums forums I've seen that this device is not consistent in it's behavior. One will not be the same as the other. Could even be internal, might consider an exchange. Usb ports fail all the time.

Try some of these I picked up from other forums. Have you tried factory resetting the device? Have you tried re installing adb on your computer? Have you tried removing the firewater file from your phone, and re download it on the pc? Does the firewater file have a (1) next to it? Have you tried uninstalling weak sauce and super su and do adb reboot on your pc then re root? Are you using the same account on your pc as your other phone?

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Summary of issue: two identical devices side-by-side, s-off by Firewater works fine on one and won't work on the other.
    Lesson learned: You might actually have to give this many tries.
    Cheers.

Wow, never would have guessed that repeated FRs would do the trick. Was that 4 in a row after your previous attempts, or 4 total throughout the entire S-OFF ordeal?

My own experience was entirely uneventful; the only bit of panic I've experienced with this remarkable phone was well after the root/S-OFF activity, during the installation of GSAM Battery Monitor. Installation of the root companion package required a reboot, and nothing appeared to happen after the confirmation button was pressed. When I manually rebooted, I got what seemed to be a "White Screen 'o Death," with no response from the usual reboot key combo. At some point the display went dark and I was sure it was bricked. I eventually tried the 60 second power button press, though, and it booted normally. Incidentally, GSAM appeared to be successfully installed as well.