[Q] Problem while downgrading Desire Z

Search This thread

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
Try and install the ES File Explorer from the Market. Open it and by pressing menu>Settings
Scroll down to Root settings and select root explorer function, after that, allow root acces, asked by superuser and select Mount File System
Scroll up to Path Settings and select Up to Root
Go back to the File Explorer (which should be at /sdcard/) and press Up
Open up adb and redo the code like this:
Code:
adb shell
su -
cd /system/usr/
chmod -R 777 keylayout

(in this way you make sure the system folder is mounted read/write while you're executing the adb shell)

also the -r schould have been -R, my bad.. sorry
Then you can alter the necessary files with ES File Explorer, by opening them as text and add those lines and remove the #

You can save the file with menu>Save

If that worked, reboot your phone and your trackpad should be working again.
If it doesn't you can try to alter the other *.kl files.

Last edited:

syaiful_86

Mar 3, 2012
I don't mind questions :D, besides, stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers.

just follow it by heart and don't panic if you do not understand something. If you just copy paste the commands all should go well.
After that use the links I posted in my previous post for rooting..

ThankQ... already downgraded!

syaiful_86

Mar 3, 2012
and change again.

Follow for Desire Z (only from Froyo or Gingerbread, but as you said you're on Froyo already) this tutorial to install HBOOT and gain root:

hi i already try until this step.. but.. when enter into recovery / factory reset
it jump to ClockworkMod then.. when i click for any selection like full wipe or else...

my ClockworkMod look like freezing.. did i do any mistake here?

syaiful_86

Mar 3, 2012
Your probably using the power button to select, don't
Use the trackpad or camera button.

-Nipqer

thank you.. but.. yes im using power button to select.. but after select only appear circle icon (ClockWork background icon)

then it freezing... when i press power button back.. it turn back to menu.. when i choose the menu same thing happen.. it freezing with clockwork background ..

:(

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
hi i already try until this step.. but.. when enter into recovery / factory reset
it jump to ClockworkMod then.. when i click for any selection like full wipe or else...

my ClockworkMod look like freezing.. did i do any mistake here?

Or try to flash this recovery, it's clockworkmod with full touch support, powerbutton in this one is back button:
http://download.clockworkmod.com/recoveries/recovery-clockwork-touch-5.8.1.0-vision.img

Put the img in your fastboot folder on your pc, rename it to recovery.img and turn off your phone.
Start your phone by holding volume down and power together, it starts in HBOOT.
Select FASTBOOT, using your volume keys and confirm with the power button. (and connect your phone to your computer by usb, obviously)
If fastboot has started you can open an cmd window on your pc.
cd the folder where your fastboot.exe and recovery.img are.
then type in the cmd:
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

If this is done, select BOOTLOADER on your phone using the volume keys, confirm with power.
Then select RECOVERY and it loads the new ClockworkMod recovery.
You can now select things by just pressing them, power button is back to previous menu.

Last edited:

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Hi friends,

I'm not able to get the trackpad working. I have modified all the .kl to add the trackpad keys. Here I show one of them:
Code:
key 116   POWER             WAKE_DROPPED
key 107   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED

# column 0
key 185   USER3            WAKE_DROPPED
key 100   ALT_RIGHT         WAKE_DROPPED
key 217   SEARCH            WAKE_DROPPED
key 28    ENTER             WAKE_DROPPED
key 38    L                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 14    DEL               WAKE_DROPPED
key 54    SHIFT_RIGHT       WAKE_DROPPED

# column 1
key 184   USER2            WAKE_DROPPED
key 50    M                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 214   QUECHAR           WAKE_DROPPED
key 37    K                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 24    O                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 25    P                 WAKE_DROPPED

# column 2
key 52    PERIOD            WAKE_DROPPED
key 49    N                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 35    H                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 36    J                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 23    I                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 22    U                 WAKE_DROPPED

# column 3
key 57    SPACE             WAKE_DROPPED
key 47    V                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 48    B                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 34    G                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 20    T                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 21    Y                 WAKE_DROPPED

# column 4
key 51    COMMA             WAKE_DROPPED
key 46    C                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 32    D                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 33    F                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 19    R                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 18    E                 WAKE_DROPPED

# column 5
key 183   USER1            WAKE_DROPPED
key 44    Z                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 45    X                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 31    S                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 30    A                 WAKE_DROPPED
key 17    W WAKE_DROPPED

# column 6
key 42    SHIFT_LEFT        WAKE_DROPPED
key 56    ALT_LEFT          WAKE_DROPPED
key 139   MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
key 150   FUNC_3            WAKE_DROPPED
key 215   AT            WAKE_DROPPED
key 16    Q WAKE_DROPPED

key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE

key 211   FOCUS
key 212   CAMERA
key 158   BACK
key 102   HOME

key 2     1
key 3     2
key 4     3
key 5     4
key 6     5
key 7     6
key 8     7
key 9     8
key 10    9
key 11    0

key 232   DPAD_CENTER       WAKE_DROPPED
key 108   DPAD_DOWN         WAKE_DROPPED
key 103   DPAD_UP           WAKE_DROPPED
key 105   DPAD_LEFT         WAKE_DROPPED
key 106   DPAD_RIGHT        WAKE_DROPPED

# not use in vison
# key 12    MINUS             WAKE_DROPPED
# key 13    EQUALS            WAKE_DROPPED
# key 26    LEFT_BRACKET      WAKE_DROPPED
# key 27    RIGHT_BRACKET     WAKE_DROPPED
# key 39    SEMICOLON         WAKE_DROPPED
# key 40    APOSTROPHE        WAKE_DROPPED
# key 43    BACKSLASH         WAKE_DROPPED
# key 53    SLASH             WAKE_DROPPED
# key 54    SHIFT_RIGHT       WAKE
# key 59    MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
# key 60    SOFT_RIGHT        WAKE
# key 61    CALL              WAKE_DROPPED
# key 62    ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
# key 68    F10               WAKE_DROPPED
# key 87    F11               WAKE_DROPPED
# key 107   ENDCALL           WAKE_DROPPED
# key 116   POWER             WAKE
# key 127   SEARCH            WAKE_DROPPED
# key 155   ENVELOPE          WAKE_DROPPED
# key 189   FUNC_7            WAKE_DROPPED
# key 223   CANCEL            WAKE_DROPPED
# key 227   STAR
# key 228   POUND             WAKE_DROPPED
# key 229   MENU              WAKE_DROPPED
# key 230   SOFT_RIGHT        WAKE
# key 231   CALL              WAKE_DROPPED
# key 399   GRAVE

I have restarted the phone, but still doesn't work. However, pushing the trackpad works fine (also do it before modifying kls)

Any idea?
Thanks for all!

Last edited:

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
Can you boot your phone while doing logcat and write it to a file, so you can post it here, I'd really like to know witch kls your rom loads.

Here's how:
Open a cmd window and cd your platform-tools folder on your pc (the folder adb is in)
Type the following in the cmd window and hit enter
Code:
adb logcat > logcat.txt

(If you want to actually see what's happening, open up a second cmd window, place them next to each other and cd the platform-tools in there as well. Then type the following and hit enter:
Code:
adb logcat
)

The cmd window(s) will tell you it's (or they are) -waiting for device-
Power on your phone and quickly connect the USB cable.
In the second cmd screen you can check if something is running.
Wait until your phone is fully booted and unplug the USB cable, by doing so, both cmd windows will stop doing something and come back with the folder you issued the commands at.

If you go to the platform-tools folder now, in explorer, then there should be a file there called logcat.txt
If you want to post it here, I can tell you which kl files are used in your rom during boot.

N.B.
I'm afraid that, if all these modifications don't work, you should try another rom. If it then still doesn't work... Then your trackpad might be broken, but I don't want to say that out loud, cause there might be more hope than disappointment. Btw, wich rom are you running??

Sent from my HTC Vision using XDA

Last edited:

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
I have done te log:
Code:
I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event6 name=lightsensor-level id=0x10002 (of 0x3) index=3 fd=56 classes=0x0

I/SystemServer( 1301): Bluetooth Service

I/EventHub( 1301): New keyboard: device->id=0x10003 devname='vision-keypad-esn' propName='hw.keyboards.65539.devname' keylayout='/system/usr/keylayout/vision-keypad-esn.kl'

I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event5 name=vision-keypad-esn id=0x10003 (of 0x4) index=4 fd=58 classes=0x3

I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event4 name=proximity id=0x10004 (of 0x5) index=5 fd=59 classes=0x0

I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event3 name=atmel-touchscreen id=0x10005 (of 0x6) index=6 fd=60 classes=0x14

I/EventHub( 1301): New keyboard: device->id=0x10006 devname='projector-Keypad' propName='hw.keyboards.65542.devname' keylayout='/system/usr/keylayout/qwerty.kl'

I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event2 name=projector-Keypad id=0x10006 (of 0x7) index=7 fd=61 classes=0x1

I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event1 name=projector_input id=0x10007 (of 0x8) index=8 fd=70 classes=0x4

I/EventHub( 1301): New keyboard: device->id=0x10008 devname='h2w headset' propName='hw.keyboards.65544.devname' keylayout='/system/usr/keylayout/h2w_headset.kl'

I/EventHub( 1301): New device: path=/dev/input/event0 name=h2w headset id=0x10008 (of 0x9) index=9 fd=71 classes=0x1

I/KeyInputQueue( 1301): Device added: id=0x10008, name=h2w headset, classes=1

I/KeyInputQueue( 1301): Device added: id=0x10007, name=projector_input, classes=4

I/KeyInputQueue( 1301):   X: min=0 max=480 flat=0 fuzz=0

I think that lines are enought. qwerty.kl and vision-keypad-esn.kl are the files of interest. Isn't it? Must the h2w_headset.kl must be modified too? Appears to be the calling profile.

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
I have done te log:

I think that lines are enought. qwerty.kl and vision-keypad-esn.kl are the files of interest. Isn't it? Must the h2w_headset.kl must be modified too? Appears to be the calling profile.

You are totally right, I'd modify that one too, but only if the rest of the key's are also defined in that kl file.
You could always try though.

If it isn't working, the only option I see is flashing another rom and check if it works there. (If you use ClockworkMod Recovery you can easily backup your current rom and put it back, later on)
I wonder what isn't working in this one... but as I said, if it doesn't work in other roms.. then I'm afraid it's just broken... although you can always try to unroot and such, but still.

(Just finished writing my tutorial on how to do it in my previous post, posted it, oh, new post, ahh, that was time wasted... oh well)

Reactions: ammm84

ammm84

Mar 4, 2012
Cyanogen 7 installed, and trackpad working fine. It works in recovery too. May be the other rom is corrupt.

Thanks for your help!!

lineaira

Mar 28, 2010
No problem, glad it works now. Have fun with your phone.

semytomazi

Jul 26, 2012
Problem during downgrading

No problem, glad it works now. Have fun with your phone.

Hey all

I receive the below error during downgrading, i'm using a HTV Desire Z gingerbread 2.3.3

i got the pastebin link but i can't past it as am a new user.

pastebin .com / diNTmTGP <<<< remove the spaces

Nipqer

Mar 14, 2011
Asus Zenfone 9
Firstly, chmod is telling you you used it wrong. Notice how it prints out the correct syntax? you forgot a space between the 777 and the /data/local/tmp.
Next, the not found error could be a caused by a whole heap of things, though I'm guessing you didn't push it properly

-Nipqer

Reactions: semytomazi

semytomazi

Jul 26, 2012
Nipqer

Thanks for the reply.

Firstly when i type >adb push fre3vo /data/local/tmp line it says there is no such file, after i remove the space between fre3vo and data it goes as the link below
pastebin .com /xZZEtTDK

and when i remove the space between the 777 and data it goes like this
pastebin .com /GdX3TKAg

PS: when i unistalled the HTC sync, it said that adb application couldn't be unistalled.

Nipqer

Mar 14, 2011
Asus Zenfone 9
Adb can't find fre3vo because you have cmd pointed to C:\Users\lzzzpy, and fre3vo is not in there. Either move fre3vo (and the other rooting files) or change the current working directory in cmd

-Nipqer

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can still root using the wiki instructions if your on g2 froyo.
    You shouldn't have used visionary, its evil.
    If you perm-root using the wiki, you can then flash a dz hboot following these instructions

-Nipqer
    Hboot

As I told you, after the reboot, my desire gets freezed on the green HTC logo. I have Desire Z stock froyo ROM downloaded from the downgrading tutorial here, and it has detected it, and started installing it. Now the device starts perfect, and except the trackpad, all the buttons works perfect.
    I think I need to install the Desire Z HBoot. Do I need? Will this solve the problem of the trackpad? I want to change the rom, an don’t know if trackpad won’t work with other roms.

First, to load an custom rom you do need load the Desire Z engineering HBoot. If you have done so, you need to flash a recovery image (I use Clockworkmod) and install a custom rom for your vision (this is done in the tutorials further down this post).

Second, the trackpad should be set in the keylayout, if the wrong keynumbers are assigned to the trackpad functions it won't work. But this is indeed set in the rom. (on an rooted device you can access the configuration file trough an root explorer, like ESFileExplorer, just download from the market.., the keyboardlayout files are in /system/usr/keylayout/ depending on your rom you can edit these files, mostly qwerty.kl Generic.kl vision-keypad.kl or vision-keypad-wwe.kl, this should look something like this:
    key 232 DPAD_CENTER WAKE_DROPPED
    key 108 DPAD_DOWN WAKE_DROPPED
    key 103 DPAD_UP WAKE_DROPPED
    key 105 DPAD_LEFT WAKE_DROPPED
    key 106 DPAD_RIGHT WAKE_DROPPED

in all those files... depending on your rom.)

So HBoot won't fix your trackpad problems, it's all set in the rom. HBoot just enables you to load custom roms. If you wan't to stick with your current rom, you need to look if those settings are correct.

NOTE:
    If you can't edit the file but you can read them, first check in the explorer settings if /system/ is mounted read/write, if so and you still can't edit the files
    you can use an adb shell to chmod the file to 777 by typing:
    Code:
    adb shell
    su -
    cd /system/usr/
    chmod -r 777 keylayout

OR do the the same from the phone through an terminal emulator:
    Code:
    su -
    cd /system/usr/
    chmod -r 777 keylayout

and change again.

Follow for Desire Z (only from Froyo or Gingerbread, but as you said you're on Froyo already) this tutorial to install HBOOT and gain root:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/HTC_Desire_Z:_Rooting#Root.2C_S-OFF.2C_the_ClockworkMod_Recovery_.26_the_Engineering_HBoot_for_the_HTC_Desire_Z

if this ain't working it could also be that your device is an G2, but as you're on vodafone I highly doubt that... still then try this tutorial:
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/TMobile_G2:_Rooting#Rooting_the_TMobile_G2

Then you can load an custom rom, using an recovery image like Clockworkmod:
    take your SD card out and put the desired rom on it. Rename the package to: update.zip
    Put the SDcard back in your phone and start the phone by holding power and volume down together. The phone boots and displays the HBOOT, first it will start looking for Stockroms on your SD, if those are not there it will display an menu. Use your volume buttons to select recovery and confirm with the power button. This should restart your phone and ClockworkMod should come up. with the volume buttons or the trackpad you can select options and power and trackpad center buttons will select the options. Do a full wipe ( option: wipe data or something similar) go to advanced options and wipe the dalvik cache. Go back to main and select install from SD, (or again something similar, I can't remember precisely) use the update.zip you placed on your SD.

This will delete all data on your phone, but the data on your SD will be save.
    After it finishes you can reboot the phone in the mainscreen. Note that the first boot with an custom rom can take up to 10 minutes to load... if the rom won't boot, no worries, just try another one. CM7 is a good one, or if you want ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich, Android 4.0.3) try Andromadus or CM9 (CM9 is not yet officially deployed and needs some work with the microphone and camera, apps as gstrings and voicesearch won't work yet, unless you manually use the audiodrivers from JIBwitch) I can't say anything about Andromadus, as I didn't test that rom yet.

CyanogenMod 9 pre-Alpha

Andromadus Rom
    huhuhu

to many link ... sorry for this stupid question... there anyway that i can get tutorial to downgrade the software or to restock original software (android froyo)?

coz im suspecting my DZ problem coz by software...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1533329

I don't mind questions :D, besides, stupid questions don't exist, only stupid answers.
    The tutorial I used to downgrade my Vision is:
    For HTC Desire Z

For T-mobile G2

just follow it by heart and don't panic if you do not understand something. If you just copy paste the commands all should go well.
    After that use the links I posted in my previous post for rooting..
    I have done te log:

You are totally right, I'd modify that one too, but only if the rest of the key's are also defined in that kl file.
    You could always try though.

If it isn't working, the only option I see is flashing another rom and check if it works there. (If you use ClockworkMod Recovery you can easily backup your current rom and put it back, later on)
    I wonder what isn't working in this one... but as I said, if it doesn't work in other roms.. then I'm afraid it's just broken... although you can always try to unroot and such, but still.

(Just finished writing my tutorial on how to do it in my previous post, posted it, oh, new post, ahh, that was time wasted... oh well)
    Firstly, chmod is telling you you used it wrong. Notice how it prints out the correct syntax? you forgot a space between the 777 and the /data/local/tmp.
    Next, the not found error could be a caused by a whole heap of things, though I'm guessing you didn't push it properly

-Nipqer