Third replacement from Verizon incoming

Search This thread

usatf1290

Nov 21, 2011
My phone had really bad screen burn in, asked for a replacement under warranty.

The replacement apparently had a motherboard defect, eventually not recognizing the battery and all sorts of other crazy behavior.

The second replacement has a dent in the glass (not crack), and under that dent are some black ghost images that look like crack lines. As if someone cracked their screen and Verizon never replaced the digitizer/Amoled panel, just the glass.

I'm worried this will get worse, and then Verizon will claim I did it and that it voided the warranty. So I'll send this one back too.

Let's see how many replacements I can go through before one works how I want it to. :good:

spasch

I got into the habit of taking my sealed refurbished phones with me to my bored Verizon corporate store and opening them with the manager. We both got some laughs at the utter crap they send out. I never wanted blamed for their mess.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Lord_Tardis

Aug 6, 2013
You can of course ask to recive a new and not a refurbished one. I had an issue with the charge port not accepting the cords so I called they sent a refurbished with the same issue so I called again and asked for a new phone not a refurbished as I already had issues, and they sent me a brand new one. It never hurts to ask.

Reactions: usatf1290

reeladdiction

Sep 21, 2013
You can of course ask to recive a new and not a refurbished one. I had an issue with the charge port not accepting the cords so I called they sent a refurbished with the same issue so I called again and asked for a new phone not a refurbished as I already had issues, and they sent me a brand new one. It never hurts to ask.

I agree, at this point I would pretty much demand a new phone after you've already received 2 bad refurbs.

thesoldier

Nov 18, 2012
Baltimore
I got some horrible replacements sent to me when I had a Galaxy Nexus...I think 5 altogether (I then demanded to be sent an s3, and they actually agreed). I even had a replacement s3 sent to me that lasted for all of two hours before the backlight died. I never got a new phone sent to even though I asked multiple times... But you never know until you ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

usatf1290

Nov 21, 2011

I agree, at this point I would pretty much demand a new phone after you've already received 2 bad refurbs.

I got some horrible replacements sent to me when I had a Galaxy Nexus...I think 5 altogether (I then demanded to be sent an s3, and they actually agreed). I even had a replacement s3 sent to me that lasted for all of two hours before the backlight died. I never got a new phone sent to even though I asked multiple times... But you never know until you ask.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wish I would have done this! I received the third replacement today, and it's "STA" date on the back is 1/11/2014.

Unfortunately it has 4.3 already installed on it. So only possibly root for me.

I thought it would be new because of that date, but I did a screen test, and it still isn't a new phone, there are dark artifacts. Testing everything out right now to make sure its ok.

putney1477

Feb 21, 2011
Concord, NH
So do you think that any replacement phone that is sent out from now on will already have 4.3 stock on it? Yikes!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

usatf1290

Nov 21, 2011
after the third swap theyll give you a diffrent phone if you ask

With my luck they'd give me a Galaxy S3 Mini, haha (I'm assuming you can't choose the phone?). This latest replacement, albeit pre-flashed 4.3, is fine so far. I'm happy with just root and safestrap for now. My Nexus 7 (2013) is my toy now. :good:

cammykool

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 6
With my luck they'd give me a Galaxy S3 Mini, haha (I'm assuming you can't choose the phone?). This latest replacement, albeit pre-flashed 4.3, is fine so far. I'm happy with just root and safestrap for now. My Nexus 7 (2013) is my toy now. :good:

They will give you a phone just as good or better (like an s4)

cammykool

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 6
Gotcha. Hmm, interesting. I wonder if these artifacts in the screen justify a replacement. In daylight they're invisible, but in a dark room they're visible (reading in bed or so).

Thats something ALL amoled screens suffer from.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 PM ----------

Mine is visible on a black screen in the dark. That's it.

usatf1290

Nov 21, 2011
My s3 is almost a year old and I don't see any

Oh you're lucky. I got mine on launch day, early July 2012. By December 2013, it had the keyboard burned in (I could see the keys), the notification bar, and the Whatsapp header bar burned in. And that all was visible during any kind of screen.

Maybe it was the first run of devices that had it.

cammykool

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Google Pixel 6
I got mine in early Feb 2013

---------- Post added at 01:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:00 PM ----------

Oh you're lucky. I got mine on launch day, early July 2012. By December 2013, it had the keyboard burned in (I could see the keys), the notification bar, and the Whatsapp header bar burned in. And that all was visible during any kind of screen.

Sounds right.

Maphack

Jan 18, 2011
They will give you a phone just as good or better (like an s4)

Oh my god this reminds me of when I went through literally 7 krazrs and they gave me an ultimatum...to pay like, 70 or 100 to keep the same phone or go to a lesser flip phone...i left and went to another verizon and they let me upgrade to a legitimate phone...

vtmoon

Jan 12, 2013

Got mine same time as you and my screen is still fine, guess I don't have a single app open long enough to leave an imprint.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.