Anker 2nd Gen Astro2 9000mAh Battery Pack

Search This thread

krash183

Sep 4, 2008
http://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portabl...?ie=UTF8&qid=1389368123&sr=8-6&keywords=anker

Anker 2nd Gen Astro2 9000mAh

Manufacturer Description

Charges the iPhone 4+ times and large-capacity phones like the Galaxy S4 almost three times. Total charge output of 3A among two charging ports. One Smart Port (5V / 2.4A max) offers truly maximum speed charges to ANY device, including the iPad or even the Samsung Galaxy Tab. One additional port charges Android smartphones at full speed.
High energy efficiency rate, 10% above previous generation Astros and many current standard alternatives, gives you up to an extra full charge for your smartphone. Sturdy construction and matte finish withstands bumps and drops. Grade A cells and premium chips ensure reliability.
A "shake" starts a charge or displays the remaining power level. The ultra-low power consumption (100, 000 shakes consumes less than 1%) Smart LED display, designed with 10 LEDs, balances accuracy and aesthetics.
Input: 5V / 1.2A; Use a 1.2A adapter for fastest charging time (8 hours).

Packaging

It’s simple and minimal which is a good thing. Also, the Packaging is recyclable for you ECO friendly people out there.
Specs

Package contents: Anker® 2nd Generation Astro2 External Battery, Micro USB cable, travel pouch, instruction manual.

It’s about the perfect size for a battery pack. Easily handled with one hand, not too thick.
Here are the output details for the two ports based upon the type of device you are trying to charge:

Type of product-----------------Smart Port------Universal Port
iPad IOS 5 and above----------2.4 Amps--------1.5 Amps
iPad below IOS 5----------------2.4 Amps--------N/A
iPhone IOS 5 and above-------1 Amp------------½ Amp
iPhone below IOS 5------------1 Amp------------N/A
Android Phones-----------------1.5 Amps--------1.5 Amps
Android Tablets-----------------2 Amps-----------2 Amps
Samsung Galaxy Tablets------2 Amps-----------N/A
Other cellphones---------------1.5 Amps--------1.5 Amps

Build Quality

It’s made of plastic but of a very good build. It has a two tone look of glossy black ends with the rest being a matte black. It’s seemless from the transition from the glossy to matte. There doesn’t seem to be any gaps between the pieces. All ports are at on end. It has a ring indicators with 10 “pies”. Each pie represents 10% charge of the battery pack. It’s a nice soft white light and not too birght that a lot of electronics suffer from.

It just has one Anker logo at the top and very minimalistic.

Testing/Performance

It has a Shake feature to activate charging. Simply plug in a device and give it a quick shake and the device and start charging. Now I know what you’re thinking; leaving it in your bag will discharge the battery for no reason if nothing is plugged in. That isn’t true, it has a super smart super low discharge even when left in a bag where accidental shakes will happen.
I decided to test this out. Leaving it my baby nieces rocker, it didn’t even discharge 1 pie (10%) when left over 18 hours in the rocker.

Using the following devices:

Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2013
S3
Ipad 4
Ipad 2
Sansa Clip Zip Mp3 player

All were able to be charged without a hitch. It is to note that the max output is 3 amps. So trying to charge two devices that require 2.1 amps is simply not possible at full speed. It would charge t but at a slow rate. It can charge a 2.1 and 1 amp device without a hiccup though.
Either port would be fine for any smartphone under the sun.

Using a Nexus 5 at 26%:
30 mins – 55%
1h 13 mins – 91%
1h 28 mins – 100%
It used 3 pies (30%) to go from 26% to 100%.

Conclusion

It’s a great battery pack that has a nice shake feature! One of the better sized battery packs that has a good capacity compared to its size. A must have all tech warriors on the go.
Note- I was supplied a sample for test and evaluation, and I promised that my review is fair and honest

Attachments

• P1040751.jpg
    P1040751.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 260
  • P1040753.jpg
    P1040753.jpg
    245.3 KB · Views: 326
  • P1040754.jpg
    P1040754.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 317
  • P1040755.jpg
    P1040755.jpg
    249.7 KB · Views: 294

xVehemencityx

Oct 17, 2010
This is a great device. I have the 13Ah charger, and it seriously holds a charge. I've never gotten it empty before because it'll charge my phone for a week. Looking forward to the next time I fly so I can use it.

pcharouz

Feb 13, 2008
Treasure Island, FL
Any chance you could actually test the output with a 12w ipad? I just got a new anker astro3, and it only charger at 2.1, not a 2.4amp

Easiest way to test it is to download "batterylife"(free) in cydia, or time charging the default charger compared to the anker.

Thank you! It is advertised everywhere as 2.4amp, but it seems like they do not have that feature!