custom Hosts file | 3/6/2010 | 14,714 ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies GONE!!

Search This thread

phiqtion

Nov 10, 2009
What it does..

The Hosts file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. This file is loaded into memory at startup, then Android checks the Hosts file before it queries any DNS servers, which enables it to override addresses in the DNS. This prevents access to the listed sites by redirecting any connection attempts back to the local (your) phone. Another feature of the HOSTS file is its ability to block other apps from displaying ads (not all).

How to install..
unzip..
transfer hosts file to the tools folder of your sdk installation
open terminal with android connected and adb drivers installed
cd C:\android-sdk-windows\tools
adb remount
adb push hosts /system/etc
exit

..or simply use Root Explorer

You are now protected against 14,714 ads, banners, sites and 3rd party Cookies

works on any 1.5 ROM, not sure if 1.6, 2.0 or 2.1 since i only use cupcake

Attachments

• hosts.zip
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,542
Last edited:

derekstory

Jan 16, 2010
Cartersville, GA
Installed on quietcblongs AOSP 1.6 and it installed without a hitch. went to popupcheck.com and it passed all the popup test. So it seems to be working on my end.

edit: Also blocks ads on some of my apps

Last edited:

athlet1c

Aug 23, 2007
City Near You
Not sure wish I had of tested before installed for the popup blocker. I do know some apps still have adds where it appears 1 doesn't

wcgbmd

Dec 3, 2009
Tip:If you open the hosts file with notepad you can see all of the blocked stites

jmhalder

Mar 26, 2008
illinois
doesnt this just duplicate the functionality of "AdFree" on the market? minus the updatability of the hosts file from adfree.

robchaos

Feb 8, 2010
westminster, md
Some people just don't feel like downloading an app from the market when all it takes is to push an updated host file to /system/etc. I prefer doing everything manually anyways. You learn more about how things work. Instead of having an app do everything for you, now you know where the file is located, how it works, and using that information, you can easily update it whenever you want to filter out other known servers of spy/adware to suit your needs.