[WORKING] UPDATED:11/10/10 WiFi Calling App for Nexus One - TMobile ONLY!

Is WiFi Calling working for you?

• Yes

Votes: 95 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 36 27.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

djstaid

Aug 11, 2010
SE Mich
This allows you to make calls over wifi correct? But you still get minutes deducted from plan (not that it matters if u have unlimited) but what is the purpose then? International calling?

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

I think that most people want this because of poor signal quality in their home or office. Yea it still uses minutes, but with no UMA for current Android phones this would be awesome. I know that if I want to talk to someone for more than a minute or two, I have to go into my garage or on the porch. At least that is why this is so appealing to me.

DebauchedSloth

Jan 27, 2008
I think what we need is a kernel built without CONFIG_MODVERSIONS set. This will allow modules with any signature to load. From the kernel configuration help.

CONFIG_MODVERSIONS:

Usually, you have to use modules compiled with your kernel.
Saying Y here makes it sometimes possible to use modules
compiled for different kernels, by adding enough information
to the modules to (hopefully) spot any changes which would
make them incompatible with the kernel you are running. If
unsure, say N.

That's confusing, but I think that's what we need.

Or at least this:

CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD:

Allow loading of modules without version information (ie. modprobe
--force). Forced module loading sets the 'F' (forced) taint flag and
is usually a really bad idea.

fcisco13

Jul 10, 2010
houston
I think that most people want this because of poor signal quality in their home or office. Yea it still uses minutes, but with no UMA for current Android phones this would be awesome. I know that if I want to talk to someone for more than a minute or two, I have to go into my garage or on the porch. At least that is why this is so appealing to me.

Ahhh yes i too get poor signal at home..

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

zapote21

Aug 18, 2009
Westfield, IN
The key is in the kernel... And its also part of the reason why TMO is turning a blind eye to htc locking down the phones...
TMO does not want the phones hacked so that their code for Genius button, wifi calling, etc etc is out there in the wild.

Trust me... there is more to this "locked down" phone issue...

mingkee

Try to push/install the following and see:
I finally got the update file for G2. After examining, I found some files may be used
/app/ folder
MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
/lib/ folder
librilswitch.so
libganril.so
libkineto.so
/lib/modules folder
kineto_gan.ko

I tried to push in XT720 (rooted) but no luck

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
I think what we need is a kernel built without CONFIG_MODVERSIONS set. This will allow modules with any signature to load. From the kernel configuration help.

CONFIG_MODVERSIONS:

Usually, you have to use modules compiled with your kernel.
Saying Y here makes it sometimes possible to use modules
compiled for different kernels, by adding enough information
to the modules to (hopefully) spot any changes which would
make them incompatible with the kernel you are running. If
unsure, say N.

That's confusing, but I think that's what we need.

Or at least this:

CONFIG_MODULE_FORCE_LOAD:

Allow loading of modules without version information (ie. modprobe
--force). Forced module loading sets the 'F' (forced) taint flag and
is usually a really bad idea.

Good call! MAYBE that will be the key! Have you tried this yet?

Mar 22, 2008
Bellevue, WA
I just downloaded the OTA:

http://android.clients.google.com/p...US_1.22.531.8-1.1.19.531.1_release_signed.zip

I grabbed libkineto.so and kineto_gan.ko. When I tried to do "insmod kineto_gan.ko" on my N1 (MoDaCo r21/FRF91), I got "invalid format", so I guess that module isn't compatible with this kernel.

There are at least a couple other modules needed. (librilswitch.so and libganril.so)

Additionally, there's code in the build.prop redirecting the path to the RIL:

Code:
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libhtc_ril.so

Becomes:

Code:
rild.libpath=/system/lib/librilswitch.so
rilswitch.vendorlibpath=/system/lib/libhtc_ril.so
rilswitch.ganlibpath=/system/lib/libganril.so

libhtc_ril.so should already be present.

Hope it helps. I was able to enable the service fine with these additions, but was unable to get my sim card to register at that point.

madj42

Jun 23, 2010
Minnesota
So did you guys build a kernel with the options set that were posted above?

EDIT: I'm pulling the latest kernel source down and I'm going to build it when done with these options.

Last edited:

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
I have the ir kernel, going to use the mod versions and pkg an update.zip with the build.prop changes. Will keep you posted

Sent from my Nexus One

jkbhso3

Feb 18, 2008
OnePlus 7T Pro McLaren
Has anyone thought that maybe the voip servers it connects to are not accepting connections? Just a thought I had as to why it's not working.....

Sent from my Nexus One using XDA App

tjungus

Jul 1, 2009
Greeley
I just wanted to voice my agreement with Khanh on this. This is a great feature and I think that this would be much appreciated.

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
The ril is the radio interface layer, this is what connects kineto directly to the phone radio and sim. The build.prop and those libraries previously posted do just that. I'm still working to get the kineto/gan kernel module working.

Sent from my Nexus One

dekips

Feb 16, 2010
There are at least a couple other modules needed. (librilswitch.so and libganril.so)

Additionally, there's code in the build.prop redirecting the path to the RIL:

Code:
rild.libpath=/system/lib/libhtc_ril.so

Becomes:

Code:
rild.libpath=/system/lib/librilswitch.so
rilswitch.vendorlibpath=/system/lib/libhtc_ril.so
rilswitch.ganlibpath=/system/lib/libganril.so

libhtc_ril.so should already be present.

Hope it helps. I was able to enable the service fine with these additions, but was unable to get my sim card to register at that point.

You have the right idea, there is a patch applied to libhtc_ril so I'm going to grab that from the wife's g2 and hope it works with nexus

Sent from my Nexus One

Rsotbiemrptson

Nov 3, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S22 Plus
Possible solution found

I have gotten WiFi calling working on a CyanogenMod 6.1.0 RC1 rom. I have attached the files that I used to get it working and instructions. I am hoping someone else can try it out to see if it works for them.This could also work over an existing install of CyanogenMod 6.1.0. I also think it would work on an Evil rom with a modded non-CM IntersectRaven kernel.

First off thanks:
Cyanogen for his rom
IntersectRaven for his kernel
Evil for his libs and module
Dekips for the WiFi Calling app
Halfwaytothepole for his build.prop mods
This thread for the other information

What I am running:
CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Slightly altered; have removed a few apps, added some others, Gapps included, and have added Darktremor's Apps2SD 2.7.5.2) but should work on stock
T-Mobile US
Radio 5.12.00.08

Instructions:
1. Download CyanogenMod 6.1.0 rom and copy to SD-Card (Not included)
2. Download the app from the first post or this one and copy to SD-Card
3. Download WiFi_Calling.zip and extract the contents to you SD-Card
4. Flash CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Gapps is optional, It is included in my mod)
5. Go through the initial setup and sign in, then reboot to recovery
6. Flash WiFi Calling Kernel.zip, reboot, then reboot to recovery (It's IntersectRaven's kernel but can't remember which date, fairly new though, that I have added kineto_gan.ko to)
7. Flash WiFi Calling Libs.zip, reboot (Includes libs from Evil's Mytouch4G v.0.6 Rom, and a modded build.prop from a stock 2.2.1 rom)
8. Install MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
9. Connect to WiFi
10. Open App and enable
11. Enjoy

Rsotbiemrptson

Attachments

• WiFi_Calling.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 5,553
  • MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
    3.3 MB · Views: 3,001
Last edited:
Reactions: jethro1138

BombaMyte

Nov 14, 2007
Stewartsville
I'll try the method above on a standard CM 6.1 install and report my findings.

EDIT: Installed this over top my existing CM 6.1 install. Result: NO phone signal (probably due to no APN's in the list), and the app itself doesn't work. Let's try this over a literally FRESH CM 6.1 install...

EDIT2: Sadly, this fails too. I'm hoping someone figures this out. Be great for when I'm at my girl's place, since there's basically no signal at her house. I'll keep on top of it though.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Wifi Calling now working! This is a T-Mobile US only feature as your phone carrier must have the architecture on their end for this to work.

Wifi Calling still uses your minutes as if you were connected to a tower.

Wifi Calling turns off your cellular radio when it's connected. This saves power and will also show -113dB signal.

Wifi Calling also sends SMS and MMS over wifi.

[11/10/10 v1.0]
    -fixed kineto_ko kernel module. its now included and loads on bootup, compiled from cyanogenmod-exp kernel
    -should make it easier for everyone past and present to get wifi calling up and running.
    -temporarily disabled bundled kineto app, it was causing problems so until I figure it out I'm not including it with the update.zip

Thanks to Rsotbiemrptson for getting the Libraries and everything into an update.zip.
    Thanks to intersectRaven for the kernel mod's regarding kineto and applying the WiFi PM FAST patch.
    Thanks to Myshkinbob for the research and creating PM FAST patch.

To Install
    1)If you don't have the 5.08 or 5.12 radio installed you MUST install that first!
    2)Download and flash the Wildmonks or intersectraven kernel(before flashing kineto!)from the links below
    3)Download and flash kineto-n1-bundle attached below.
    4)Download and install MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
    5)If you install any kernel, 720p hacks or mods it can break wifi calling.. any time you flash an update.zip re-flash the kineto bundle. There are important libraries linked in build.prop that must be in or there will be problems. You can attempt to make a custom build.prop or post in the forum for help.
    5)Enjoy!

Known Issues
    -Bluetooth - Calls are not being connected to a bluetooth at this time.
    -Bootloops on enabling wifi - Update your radio! 5.12 or 5.08 is required.
    -After flashing if you still experience call problems it will be necessary to change your setcpu screen off profile to 245min 384max.
    -Volume is low
    -Sporadic MMS sending problems(APN related)

intersectRaven Kernels
    CM Based Kernel 20101108_1328 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?4obtdv52efkvece
    NON-CM Based Kernel 20101108_1328 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?urv9wl2ek0fae9c

wildmonks Kernels
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=693375
    Possible solution found

I have gotten WiFi calling working on a CyanogenMod 6.1.0 RC1 rom. I have attached the files that I used to get it working and instructions. I am hoping someone else can try it out to see if it works for them.This could also work over an existing install of CyanogenMod 6.1.0. I also think it would work on an Evil rom with a modded non-CM IntersectRaven kernel.

First off thanks:
    Cyanogen for his rom
    IntersectRaven for his kernel
    Evil for his libs and module
    Dekips for the WiFi Calling app
    Halfwaytothepole for his build.prop mods
    This thread for the other information

What I am running:
    CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Slightly altered; have removed a few apps, added some others, Gapps included, and have added Darktremor's Apps2SD 2.7.5.2) but should work on stock
    T-Mobile US
    Radio 5.12.00.08

Instructions:
    1. Download CyanogenMod 6.1.0 rom and copy to SD-Card (Not included)
    2. Download the app from the first post or this one and copy to SD-Card
    3. Download WiFi_Calling.zip and extract the contents to you SD-Card
    4. Flash CyanogenMod 6.1.0 (Gapps is optional, It is included in my mod)
    5. Go through the initial setup and sign in, then reboot to recovery
    6. Flash WiFi Calling Kernel.zip, reboot, then reboot to recovery (It's IntersectRaven's kernel but can't remember which date, fairly new though, that I have added kineto_gan.ko to)
    7. Flash WiFi Calling Libs.zip, reboot (Includes libs from Evil's Mytouch4G v.0.6 Rom, and a modded build.prop from a stock 2.2.1 rom)
    8. Install MS-HTCVISION-KNT20-02.apk
    9. Connect to WiFi
    10. Open App and enable
    11. Enjoy

Rsotbiemrptson
    With Gingerbread ROM's being worked on by several mod's here on XDA, any timetable on getting this work for Gingerbread? I'm now swapping back and forth between CM Nightly #295 & MicroMOD's Gingerbread AOSP depending on needs but would prefer to stick to one (GB obviously).

Thanks again to all that have worked on this as its saved me a ton of headaches with crappy signal at my house.
    In the meantime it looks like the folks over at Cyanogen are looking to get Wifi Calling on Gingerbread according to the latest status:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#q,status:merged,n,z

UPDATE: Looks like its official. Just got the word from Cyanogen that its working.... Need to pull a nightly to see if its working or now. According to him, the nightlies will be starting up next week!
    For those looking to use WiFi Calling on CyanogenMod 7, please see my thread here!

Thanks everyone!