[SOLVED] Changing fonts in Android?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
Not sure of this is the right thread, but here it goes...

There is a font that is packed in with the Market that I am able to use in ChompSMS. It found it when I did a scan for font packs. It came up as 'Market' under the package, and the font name is Storopia.

I was wondering if there is a way to get this font to use for other purposes? And I was also wondering if there is a way to change the font myself in a custom ROM I have installed on my G1.

Would appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks!

this is a screenshot of the font working in ChompSMS thanks to the apps ability to use font packs. Again, ChompSMS found this font in the Market folder somewhere. I want to use it throughout my phone but do not know how to find this font to extract it to where I need to put it.

The font is called Storopia. I guess I should also add that it is the font used for the big words in the Android Market at the top of the screen. For instance, when you first open the Android Market, up top next to the shopping bag, where it says android market, market is done in the Storopia font. Same for apps, games, and downloads when you click on those tabs.

Can someone please help me find this font??

screenshot1257584423114.png

Last edited:

xidominicanoix

Oct 9, 2006
FL
Not sure of this is the right thread, but here it goes...

There is a font that is packed in with the Market that I am able to use in ChompSMS. It found it when I did a scan for font packs. It came up as 'Market' under the package, and the font name is Storopia.

I was wondering if there is a way to get this font to use for other purposes? And I was also wondering if there is a way to change the font myself in a custom ROM I have installed on my G1.

Would appreciate any help I could get!

Thanks!

i know that fonts go in /system/fonts/ .. i have a whole folder of fonts in /sdcard/fonts/ and switch them up via recovery terminal whenever i feel like :D

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
awesome, thanks for that! now, how do you switch them up using recovery terminal? and do you know how i could get the Storopia font from the Market app?

xidominicanoix

Oct 9, 2006
FL
awesome, thanks for that! now, how do you switch them up using recovery terminal? and do you know how i could get the Storopia font from the Market app?

well the way i do it is that inside /sdcard/fonts/ i have the fonts in separate subfolders

then in recovery console i do:
Code:
mount sdcard
mount system
cp /sdcard/fonts/NAME_OF_FONT/* /system/fonts/
umount sdcard
umount system
reboot

i also have the original fonts in a folder in case i ever want to revert .. you can do this is in a regular terminal
Code:
cd /sdcard/fonts
mkdir orig
cp /system/fonts/* /sdcard/fonts/orig/

and then to revert the font to orig in recovery terminal you just use the code above with 'orig' in place of 'NAME_OF_FONT' :D

A

AdrianK

In recovery:

mount /sdcard
cp /sdcard/fonts/nameoffont/* /system/font

As for pulling a font from an apk you downloaded from the market, could be tricky. Also there are six different True Type fonts in /system/fonts which might not match what's in the font pack anyway...

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009
Thank you so much you guys! I have got my font changed. It isn't the font that I was looking for, but I found one online that is really close to it. Thanks for the tip also about having the fonts in multiple folders of the font file. I didn't think about that.

Thank you! You can close/delete this thread if need be!

xidominicanoix

Oct 9, 2006
FL
Thank you so much you guys! I have got my font changed. It isn't the font that I was looking for, but I found one online that is really close to it. Thanks for the tip also about having the fonts in multiple folders of the font file. I didn't think about that.

Thank you! You can close/delete this thread if need be!

append "[SOLVED]" to the title of the thread so mods can do so ;)

Uzerk

Dec 17, 2009
I have got my font changed. It isn't the font that I was looking for, but I found one online that is really close to it.

Would you like to share that font with the class, or at least the name of the font?
Because I have been looking for that font for a few days now, and it's driving me nuts that I can't find it.. ^^

The font that i'm talking about is this one.
screenshot1257584423114.png

also seen on http://www.android.com
meet-android-20.gif

Realy like that font, but it seems that I can't find it >.<

Last edited:

str3l0k

Oct 27, 2009
How to create custom font packs

Hi,
Does anyone know how can i create a font pack?
I want to package some fonts to use from chompsms,
any idea how do i package fonts, and make them available to chompsms?
I don't have a root access and can't just put fonts in /system/fonts.

str3l0k

Oct 27, 2009
Found how to create a font pack

In case anyone wonders, it's as simple as creating an empty android application,
with no activities, and just add fonts under assets/fonts folder.
And that's it. Package and use. :)

Reactions: DelDoh
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Found how to create a font pack

In case anyone wonders, it's as simple as creating an empty android application,
    with no activities, and just add fonts under assets/fonts folder.
    And that's it. Package and use. :)