[ROM] Stock 1.4.0 & 1.4.2 + Root + Mods - GO Launcher [Yes/No B&N|Rebloat Pack]

Search This thread

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
got it, and thanks. Did read the tutorials... almost all of them. Had to go to google to figure out CWM. I thought that when i transfered your file to the card that CWM would automatically start or something..... it didn't. :(

Once I figured out how to get that on a card, added your file, and i am good to go now.

Love it very much, thank you for taking the time to do this, and being so helpful in this forum (which I read almost all the way through!)

I did have a couple of odds and ends questions regarding the new setup.

1. go launcher ex and go locker are options when you hit the "N" button. But both seem to do the same thing. is this normal?

2. The other third party launcher, i forget the name, just brings up an overlay. I got rid of it. Even that took some doing. This is my first foray into an Android environment, but the little pullout from the right and side remains. Can i get rid of this some how?

3. I made go launcher ex the default. Go locker is still in the apps section. should i delete it like i did the other third party app (task xp?, i believe)

4. I never did figure out how to backup using titanium, as i had no way to install it. was there a way from a un rooted 1.4 state?

5. I have a few apk files that i had side loaded before the update screwed that up for me. can those be added too? I am sure they can, just not sure how to go about it. I looked briefly on line, but by that time i was burned out from messing with this thing. :(

6. when i set it up, i entered my gmail info because i needed to put apps on it. This is my daughter's nook. I figured i would change the account info later. Now it will not let me. when i go to the hidden settings app and try to unlink it says it is needed for some apps and i need to delete the account from the privacy settings in the settings app. There is no privacy settings that i can find in the settings app

anyway, thank you for the help!

~mike

1. Go Launcher and Go locker have different functions, the first one is a launcher and the second one is a custom locker app which only works with Go Launcher.

2. I don't know what you are referring about in this one, if you could post a screenshot (N + Volume Down) i could tell.

3. As i mentioned before the Go locker is a custom locker app if you don't want it then remove it but if you want a custom locker to play with then you need to configure it to work with Go launcher i think. TaskXP is useful to access the latest used app and more quickly.

4. Titanium backup requires root to work

5. Put the apk's withing a folder in your sdcard (e.g: downloads) then use a file explorer to navigate to /sdcard/downloads and tap on each of the apps you copied to install them.

6. There is quick trick for this one. Replace the framework-res.apk from /system/framework/framework-res.apk. You can do it by using adb tool or replacing manually using root explorer preferably (because of the change owner settings), i highly recommend you setup adb (you never know when you're going to need it) is a must have for unbrick your device too.
If you read my FAQ you will know where to look for set up ADB.

a. Open NT Hidden settings and tap on the ADB hack, that will let you use "adb remount" command which mounts partitions from "ro" to "rw" like /system in order to push files over
b. Unzip the stock rom .zip in your PC, navigate to system/framework/ folder and copy framework-res.apk to C:\ntroot folder (where adb tools should be) then plug your device to PC, open command line (CMD) on windows and run:

> adb devices
> adb remount
> adb push framework-res.apk /system/framework
> adb reboot

Once your device reboot all the accounts set up previously will be gone and you will be able to add your daughter's google account first, then you can add yours if you want to. Second google account can be removed easily, primary not.

~ Veronica

Last edited:
Reactions: r_tait

stickythumbs

Jul 16, 2007
No access to non-Nook items

I am having an odd issue - long story short, I am very familiar with rooting devices (mainly Android phones, Samsung/Lenovo tablets, etc.), but do not personally own a Nook. My sister does, a few months ago I rooted her new Christmas present with NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_B&N_v2, and she loves it.
Flash forward to last night - her daughter said she saw an icon with a leaf on it, and she pushed it. Now it looks just like a stock Nook, have no access to homescreens she had set up or any of the settings that used to be there. At the bottom some of the ribbon notifications (Wifi ADB inactive, Tap to Launch TaskXP, SD Card Inserted), but I can't figure out how to get back to the original setup. Any help would be great - I am just not as familiar with the Nook as I am the other devices.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I am having an odd issue - long story short, I am very familiar with rooting devices (mainly Android phones, Samsung/Lenovo tablets, etc.), but do not personally own a Nook. My sister does, a few months ago I rooted her new Christmas present with NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_B&N_v2, and she loves it.
Flash forward to last night - her daughter said she saw an icon with a leaf on it, and she pushed it. Now it looks just like a stock Nook, have no access to homescreens she had set up or any of the settings that used to be there. At the bottom some of the ribbon notifications (Wifi ADB inactive, Tap to Launch TaskXP, SD Card Inserted), but I can't figure out how to get back to the original setup. Any help would be great - I am just not as familiar with the Nook as I am the other devices.

Ok i think what she got is the OTA update, you could verify that in settings >> About your NOOK >> software version. If it shows 1.4.2 then she got the update and that means she did not block OTA before or someone changed some settings, if it shows 9.9.9 then heck! the B&N guys found a way to penetrate the OTA block.

First she needs to verify that her apps are there, even if she cant use them. If so then go back to cwm and wipe cache then go to advanced> wipe dalvik cache, then reflash then rom or wait until i upload 1.4.2 (i've been busy). Do not wipe data /factory reset so she hopefully gets all her data working. If not working properly then she must do a wipe data/factory reset and start from scratch. NEXT TIME once she finish setting up her Nook, go to cwm and make a backup - Rule of Gold!

If she does not use B&N services the best would be to bypass registration.

~ Veronica

Last edited:
Reactions: stickythumbs

stickythumbs

Jul 16, 2007
Ok i think what she got is the OTA update, you could verify that in settings >> About your NOOK >> software version. If it shows 1.4.2 then she got the update and that means she did not block OTA before or someone changed some settings, if it shows 9.9.9 then heck! the B&N guys found a way to penetrate the OTA block.

First she needs to verify that her apps are there, even if she cant use them. If so then go back to cwm and wipe cache then go to advanced> wipe dalvik cache, then reflash then rom or wait until i upload 1.4.2 (i've been busy). Do not wipe data /factory reset so she hopefully gets all her data working. If not working properly then she must do a wipe data/factory reset and start from scratch. NEXT TIME once she finish setting up her Nook, go to cwm and make a backup - Rule of Gold!

If she does not use B&N services the best would be to bypass registration.

~ Veronica

The software version is "1.0.0". Also, I cannot get into CWM (maybe I am doing it wrong - hold power+Nook button while powering on?). Thank you for the help. Should I just re-install CWM and start from scratch?

crash613

Mar 13, 2008
Ok.. Almost everything is working fine. I am having one problem though.

I have legit books and magazines that were paid for using my nook account and are linked with my device.

After doing the update. I did the registration. I can now open my library using the Library app. after syncing all the books and magazines now appear in the library.

The problem is that now some of them will not open. There are 2 seperate issues, it seems.

1. When attempting to open certain magainzes is says :Sorry, this content is currently not supported on this NOOK> Visit nook.com/tablet/support for...

looked there.. no help. Wondering if because my Version number says 1.0.0 on the about page. Any thoughts?

2. When attempting to open certain books i get a pop up that says "Unlock your eBook.. "
it wants me to enter the full name on CC used to make purchase. Other books, purchased on the same account, open fine.

Entering the CC info does not help.

I do not know if a rooted 1.4 would fix problem. any ideas? thanks.

jfg69

Jun 21, 2008
Long Island, New York
my Version number says 1.0.0 on the about page

I was wondering about this as well.

I use Aldiko to read my books, BUT- I was unable to open the Nook viewer, all I got was a white screen. Later, I open the BN Shop app and DL'd a preview which opened right up in the reader (Nook Viewer.) Later I go back and open the viewer and I get white screen again.

Is there a log that may provide some insight to this issue?

crash613

Mar 13, 2008
I was wondering about this as well.

I use Aldiko to read my books, BUT- I was unable to open the Nook viewer, all I got was a white screen. Later, I open the BN Shop app and DL'd a preview which opened right up in the reader (Nook Viewer.) Later I go back and open the viewer and I get white screen again.

Is there a log that may provide some insight to this issue?

most of the books work fine. there a just a few that won't. I tried to figure out why, but i cannot find a pattern. There are approx 20 magazines associated with the account and only about 6 of them work.

Books fare better, almost all of them work, but i do not know what makes the ones that will not open any different.

The magazines can be attributed to being that newer "enhanced" format, perhaps? Either way, i hope a workaround surfaces, my daughter actually uses her nook to primarily read, but loves the benefits of the root. (android store, games not avaliable on the nook store, etc)

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
test test test

UPDATE!
WARNING: Test version
FLASH IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING
NEED FEEDBACK FROM 8GB USERS TO KNOW THIS IS WORKING FOR THEM AS I HAVE 16GB NOOK TABLET. THANKS!

8GB/16gb B&N Stock 1.4.2 modified ROM

This ROM is an update to this thread and it has everything as the 1.4.0 ROM except for the wifi fix (It's not ready yet). Yes it has the B&N apps and is ready for registration.

DOWNLOAD LINK:

NT_stock_1.4.2_Ribbon_Root_B&N.zip - md5: 0eb7a1dff67c5fe58be4c58b13f9abb2

... I'm not going to upload to mediafire or any other because the file is above 300MB, but if you have a server or can upload it to a better one then go ahead, PM me the link so i post it.

INSTRUCTIONS:

* 8GB users use this CWM (booting from sdcard) to flash the ROM
* Boot into CWM, do the wipes before and after flash the ROM - If upgrading from stock then don't wipe data/factory reset but if you have issues with apps then do so.
* Go to Install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from internal sdcard (if you copied the folder to your Internal sdcard [MyNOOK]) >> select NT_stock_1.4.2_Ribbon_Root_B&N.zip

~ Veronica

Last edited:
Reactions: stickythumbs

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
I flashed the ROM using CWM but am having an issue. After the device booted I was going through the registration (I chose the ROM with B&N apps). On the screen where it asks for the Wi-Fi to use my local wifi is stuck on "Connected, testing" My laptop and phone aren't having any issues connecting to the same WiFi so I'm not sure what happened to the Nook. It worked before I flashed the ROM but I don't mean that to sound like the ROM did something to the Nook's WiFi.

Tomorrow I'll take it someplace else to connect to a different WiFi in hopes I can get over the hump. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
I stared from scratch (reimaged, rooted and backed up) and got the same thing. I also noticed that on the bottom of the page there is a b-bind error message.

I'm baffled. I can restore from my backup image though and everything works OK.

Any advice with what I am doing wrong with installing the ROM would be appreciated.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
I stared from scratch (reimaged, rooted and backed up) and got the same thing. I also noticed that on the bottom of the page there is a b-bind error message.

I'm baffled. I can restore from my backup image though and everything works OK.

Any advice with what I am doing wrong with installing the ROM would be appreciated.

Do you have 8GB or 16GB model?

Sent from my SGH-I897 using xda premium

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
Do you have 8GB or 16GB model?

16GB. I solved the problem. In the initial post there were two links to download the zip files (B&N or non-B&N). I thought each link would go to a different page for the individual zips but finally realized that no matter which link I click it goes to the same page. So, I was downloading the non B&N zip and then attempting to register. After downloading the B&N zip I was good to go. Almost... ;)

The issue I have now if that I can't see my SI magazine subscriptions. They show up in My Stuff > Everything Else (i.e. Content not Supported on this Device). All the books I bought are OK. I tried managing the subscription and moving to Archive and then back to active (no go). If I revert to my saved backup (i.e. the 1.4.0 root) the magazines are readible. Any ideas?

Also, I noticed that in Device Info > About Your Nook that the software version is 1.0.0. Does this mean that it isn't OTA blocked? I know the trick to make it 9.9.9 and am wondering if this should be done.

Last edited:

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
So if the ROM here is a 1.4.0 and I was coming from a rooted 1.4.0 how did it get to 1.0.0? Water under the bridge now but I'm curious.

More important than how I got to 1.0.0 is getting back to the correct version. Should I:
1) Do a CWM restore of Indirect's 1.4.0 version that I saved a backup?
2) Reflash the 1.4.0 B&N.zip from this thread?
3) Load the acclaim_update.zip to restore?
4) Other? (Is there another way to get back to the correct version)?

Thanks

Last edited:

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
Well, I tried I tried option 2 (reflash the B&N app from this thread) and the version is still 1.0.0 and I still can't see my SI magazines.

I then restored the Indirect 1.4.0 version I had backed up and then the magazines were accessible. I think the fact that I can't see then is tied to the version. I can't see any other reason why I'd be able to see them using the B&N app using via Indirect's 1.4.0 root method vs the ribbon ROM here.

Should the version be 1.0.0 after flashing this zip? If so any ideas on what I might be able to do to be able to use this zip and also be able to read my magazine subs?

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
Well, I tried I tried option 2 (reflash the B&N app from this thread) and the version is still 1.0.0 and I still can't see my SI magazines.

I then restored the Indirect 1.4.0 version I had backed up and then the magazines were accessible. I think the fact that I can't see then is tied to the version. I can't see any other reason why I'd be able to see them using the B&N app using via Indirect's 1.4.0 root method vs the ribbon ROM here.

Should the version be 1.0.0 after flashing this zip? If so any ideas on what I might be able to do to be able to use this zip and also be able to read my magazine subs?

Clear data of device manager app, reboot and check again. Ota block is applied to that app.

~ Veronica

rwischer

Jan 5, 2012
No go. I went back to CWM and deleted Dalvik cache, user cache and reflashed the zip. As soon as the device rebooted I check my magazines and they were in the "Unsupported" folder (all books were OK). The version # is 1.0.0.

For the recorded I'm not saying that the device updated on its own (i.e. it wasn't blocked). I was simply speculating since I assumed the version would be 9.9.9 or 1.4.0. Since I've reflashed and checked the version immediately and can see its 1.0.0 I can see that it isn't updating.

It seems like either the B&N app differs from Indirect's or they are the same but the fact that the version is 1.0.0 causes the magazine subs to be unsupported.

lavero.burgos

Mar 5, 2011
No go. I went back to CWM and deleted Dalvik cache, user cache and reflashed the zip. As soon as the device rebooted I check my magazines and they were in the "Unsupported" folder (all books were OK). The version # is 1.0.0.

For the recorded I'm not saying that the device updated on its own (i.e. it wasn't blocked). I was simply speculating since I assumed the version would be 9.9.9 or 1.4.0. Since I've reflashed and checked the version immediately and can see its 1.0.0 I can see that it isn't updating.

It seems like either the B&N app differs from Indirect's or they are the same but the fact that the version is 1.0.0 causes the magazine subs to be unsupported.

Did you do what I mentioned before ? I did not say wipe cache and dalvik cache, clear data and cache if any of device manager app.

PS: Is better if you upgrade to 1.4.2 I posted the link few pages ago.

Sent from my NookTablet using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ROM] Stock 1.4.0 & 1.4.2 + Root + Mods - GO Launcher [Yes/No B&N|Rebloat Pack]

Alright today i bring to you a faster way to have a fully functional stock ROM with all the addons and eye candy look ;) I have added a FULL version containing all B&N stock apps minus Keyboard and Mymedia (because those aren't good) so you can pick the one that best suits you.

PLEASE FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS TO THE LETTER

What does this ROM provide?

* Root - Thanks Indirect
    * Busybox already installed
    * Ribbon Status Bar MDPI Mod
    * Build.prop changed to look like a Nexus S Mod
    * Working cifs, nls_utf8, slow-work, and tun modules - Thanks succulent
    * Adhoc wifi FIX - Thanks zambien
    * OpenVPN binaries
    * Removed some B&N apps including Stock Home Launcher just kept Library, Reader, Games, Pandora and Netflix
    * Changed Stock Hulu+ app with a modified one meant to work in most Android devices - Thanks blunttedsmurf
    * Comfortaa Fonts

What applications include?
    * Some apps have a Ribbon Notification Icon in order to match the Statusbar mod.

1. Superuser
    2. ES File Explorer
    3. NT Hidden Settings - thanks brianf21
    4. Go Launcher
    5. AdFree
    6. Gapps including Gmail, Youtube and Google Voice (apart)
    7. Button Savior
    8. Modified Hulu+
    9. Modified Email with working Exchange
    10. Titanium Backup
    11. IMO chat
    12. Go Locker
    13. Plume (Twitter)
    14. TaskXP
    15. MusicMod
    16. Quick Boot
    17. Gallery 3D
    18. Wifi ADB
    19. Antivirus Free
    20. Phantom Music Control
    21. SD-Booster
    22. FlashPlayer
    23. SpareParts
    24. Root App Remover
    25. Mclock

Installation:

1. Download the file: NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip
    2. Plug your Nook Tablet to your PC and check that Internal SDcard (MyNOOK) AND SDcard are mounted
    3. Copy NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip in the root (/) of Internal OR External SDcard (Pick one)
    4. Eject safely your Nook Tablet
    5. Boot into CWM
    5.1 Wipe data then go to advanced>> wipe dalvik cache, once done press power button to go back
    5.2 Go to Install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from sdcard (if you copied the folder to your External sdcard) >> select NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip
    5.2 Go to Install zip from sdcard >> choose zip from internal sdcard (if you copied the folder to your Internal sdcard [MyNOOK]) >> select NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2.zip
    7. The process will start, once done Reboot your device ENJOY!

Recommendation:

* Backup your apps and data using Titanium for easy restore back
    * Wipe data, dalvik cache before flash a new ROM - WARNING: it is safe to wipe/format data, cache, dalvik cache and system, DO NOT format the other partitions or you will brick your device
    * Bypass registration of Nook Tablet by Albert Wertz

Download Links:
    *These are flashable .zip

NT_stock_1.4.2_Ribbon_Root_B&N.zip - ROM with B&N content (318 MB) | md5: 0eb7a1dff67c5fe58be4c58b13f9abb2
    NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_B&N_v2 .zip - ROM with B&N content (300.8 MB) | md5: 1c7033fb9c6467c98c5a50cc167fee5e
    NT_stock_1.4.0_Ribbon_Root_v2 .zip - ROM with NO B&N content (284.6 MB) | md5: 9b909ce9d30feedbbde53ae367c861d5

Screenshot:

rom.png

My Setup:

mClock widget with markedclOck theme (must create mClock folder: /mnt/sdcard/mClock/ and then drop the unzipped files)
    PinsMusicMod widget (4x3)
    Phantom Music Control (There is a bug and the options doesn't show up but here is my setup)
    And lastly for the statusbar: [ICONS] Beautiful -= Ribbon Status Bar Icons =- [MDPI/HDPI]

~ Veronica​
    Update 15/2/12

Alright UPLOADING v2, will be a flashable zip now no more CWM backup folder and a standar Apk_Package_Installer.zip with:

* Androzip
    * Anycut
    * App cache cleaner
    * Dolphin Browser
    * ES Bookmark Manager (to create shortcuts of your media on desktop)

... These apps are included in the v2 of this ROM.

As i have mentioned in this thread with a flashable zip you get more flexibility.
    What does that mean? It means that you can delete apps that you don't want or add others by drag and dropping it/them within /system/app of the .zip

Edit: OP UPDATED!

~ Veronica
    Different but still no go.

1) The B&N reader & store are availible in the stock launcher but are missing in from Go Launcher. Is there a way to migrate the app from the stock laumcher?

2) Not as but an issue but annoying. The unroot app force close appears after every reboot.

3) The 'N' key at the bottom reverts the launcher back to the Book default. I think I know why & how to fix this one.

I was sure to clear the user data and cache this time!

1. Is normal and why you need to keep stock launcher, you can tap on a book and it will open directly with reader or prompt a window with the option to choose between reader and 3rth party apps that you have installed.
    To handle better the back and forth launchers use HomeCatcher.apk

2. Move the unroot app from /system/app to /data/app using a file explorer or just uninstall it if you think you won't need it with app for uninstall I have added

3. Use HomeCatcher

PS: Read my FAQ for tips

~ Veronica

Sent from my SGH-I897 using XDA
    Just to let you guys know i update OP with a full version (means with B&N content already included) so you don't have to use the re-bloat if you want to have B&N content.

Also im almost done modifing a CM7 Soft-mod ROM with Ribbons ICS theme!

@cgdash now i understand your request and that function got deactivated once i change SystemUI and framework-res apps that i got from this thread and here you can see some modifications that users have made. PM @xecuter or post in that thread for help and hopefully it can be done.

~ Veronica
    Cool, gonna try it today! Could you add Morelocale also?

Hmm will think about it, next version will have the copy paste mod. Keep dropping suggestions people.

~ Veronica

Sent from XDA premium using my Nook Tablet :p