Trident has released the Kraken

Search This thread

EhHowzit808

Feb 1, 2012
Hey guys, had the windshield mount for more than a month now. Stopped using it a few days after trying it out. It can't seem to stick properly on my window. It looks like the diameter of the suction cup isn't that big enough and the rubber isn't as soft as other windshield suction cups. I always clean the mounting surface and suction before use.
There are times when a small bump on the road made the suction cup lose its' grip. Other times when it's mounted with the phone attached, it would slide either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending where most of the weight is if you don't balance it evenly.

So for now its collecting dust. Maybe try it on another device (like an iPhone) with a Kraken case or mod a better suction cup to it.

Galaxy S2 ShoStock 1.9.4

Scrambo

Apr 12, 2012
Bear, DE
Hey guys, had the windshield mount for more than a month now. Stopped using it a few days after trying it out. It can't seem to stick properly on my window. It looks like the diameter of the suction cup isn't that big enough and the rubber isn't as soft as other windshield suction cups. I always clean the mounting surface and suction before use.
There are times when a small bump on the road made the suction cup lose its' grip. Other times when it's mounted with the phone attached, it would slide either clockwise or counter-clockwise, depending where most of the weight is if you don't balance it evenly.

So for now its collecting dust. Maybe try it on another device (like an iPhone) with a Kraken case or mod a better suction cup to it.

Galaxy S2 ShoStock 1.9.4
Have you tried wetting the surface of the suction cup before applying it? You can just lick your finger a bit, and rub it on the bottom of the cup. That always helps suction power for me :)

EhHowzit808

Feb 1, 2012
Yup, that's what I did after cleaning the area a few times. It'll stick, but eventually will start sliding until it pops itself off.
I suspect it could be the curve of the glass and the quality of the rubber causing it not to stick.

Galaxy S2 ShoStock 1.9.4

projekt1

Aug 3, 2007
NorCal
I couldnt risk taking any more drops so I'm back to the Kraken after riding naked for a while then running with just the silicone skin but now its full protection time again. For anyone wondering, this case (not even the silicone skin alone) does not do well with any type of skins (ie. microfiber skin or clear skins). I had this skin on for the longest and love it but I need more protection all around.

EhHowzit808

Feb 1, 2012
Sorry for bring back a dead post

I bought the case on February, tried a few other cases (even got an Otterbox Commuter which I returned within a few days), but went back to the Kraken. It feels more well-constructed than the leading competitor. I clean the phone and case every month and the phone still looks like brand new. The kickstand still works and that makes my friends with the Otterbox quite jealous.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PICS and a REVIEW | 56k/dialup warning! lol...

I should be getting mine sometime this week. Ill post pictures of it til then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App

EDIT: Feb. 14, 2012
    It's here a day earlier than anticipated :D
    Here are the pics and my first attempt at a product review :p

Front
    atuatg.jpg

Features/Description
    1607vx2.jpg

Back
    sdz6n5.jpg

Back View
    o6xp1e.jpg

Front, Silicone case, Back
    *You can also use the silicone case by itself

ekgiza.jpg

Screen Protectors: i9100 & i777
    Application Card
    Instructions
    Cleaning cloth

ab5d08.jpg

Instructions
    2nl8p5d.jpg

Attachments
    13zadfr.jpg

Comparison
    Left: Trident
    Right: SGP

igyxbr.jpg

Comparison: Back
    25hny85.jpg

Comparison: Thickness
    ipsdfq.jpg

Comparison: Thickness
    Top: SGP
    Bottom: Trident

xbfu5e.jpg

Back
    2vi1lcj.jpg

Kick stand
    mljojs.jpg

Right view
    15owgg1.jpg

Top View
    34nru9x.jpg

Left View
    Blurry...
    wkfk0m.jpg

Front
    16ljwp4.jpg

Side
    2u5usd4.jpg

Back
    263d45g.jpg

Gap Between the clip and screen
    qozrkp.jpg

Pros
    -Installation was pretty straight forward.
    -Sturdy case .
    -Weight difference from my old SGP case isn't as noticeable.
    -Hand smudges aren't that noticeable.
    -Holes for the usb/headphone jack are covered to protect dust.
    -Hole for i777's top mic is there, but only visible when using the silicone case.
    -Does not interfere with the call quality from our end. Although, I still have to test the audio from the receiving end (the person who you are talking to).
    -Does not interfere with the front and rear cameras. No vignetting.
    -Rear speakers sound fine.
    -Kick stand is an awesome feature for watching videos. It can also be removed and rotated the other way.
    -Attachments for this case are available.
    -Lanyard loop.
    -Belt clips rotates.
    -IMHO, looks way better than an Otterbox. That's just me.

Cons
    -It is little slippery if your palms are sweaty.
    -Holding the phone with your right hand, you might have to dig your finger into the silicone for the volume buttons.
    -Trying to remove the kick stand attachment is kinda difficult. It feels like I might break the plastic on the back case.
    -Kick stand vibrates a little when receiving a call/text when snapped into the case.
    -Front portion of the case kinda stretched the Zagg screen protector by the front speaker/proximity sensor.
    -They should have modified the front portion of the case for the i777; the touch menu and search are a little difficult to get to if you have big fingers.

Extra:
    Signal Strength

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to see if it affects the signal strength. I left the phone alone for about a minute each then took a screen shot. Anyone who knows how to interpret that, let me know what it means.

Case off
    10xbt4g.jpg

Case on
    4k8j7d.jpg

Overall: 8.5/10
    It is a pretty good case considering the price. I bought mine from amazon for a cheaper price. Look for Rrryan2's post for the link.

Aloha,
    EhHowzit
    http://www.tridenteer.com/products/...axy-S-II-(GT%2di9100,-SGH%2di777),-Black.html

I just received this case yesterday and I got to say that it is a pretty nice case if you're looking for a tough case. I've been looking for a case like the Otterbox since it appears they will not be releasing a defender series for this phone. This one is actually the opposite because they put the hard case on the outside of the silicone case. They did this so when you don't need/want the plastic part, you can still use the silicone part as a case. The metal kickstand is also a nice addition, especially since I tend to watch netflix on my phone quite a bit. It is a universal GS2 case, meaning it fits ours and the international version. It has a notch at the bottom for the international's home button, and has the hole at the top for our noise cancellation mic. You do have to work it a bit to get the plastic part over the silicone, but really that's a good thing. Also the button feel is really nice with this case. Feels better than when it's just the phone itself. They also got the phone to me quickly. I got it about 3 days after I ordered it and it came from California to South Carolina, free shipping. So if you've been wondering about this case or wanting another option for a tough case, I'd give this one a try. I love it. Oh and there are also other colors available.
    That's a nice case. I've never liked things like the Otterbox, always thought they were really fugly. If I were in the market for a tough case, I'd definitely consider this.
    Thank you for interpreting the image. I really appreciate it.

Yeah, the case is pretty tough. My nephew found my phone and threw it all over the place. I was surprised the case stayed together and did no damage to the phone.

Let's get this second review started.

Protection: As mentioned above, it withstood being thrown around. I also dropped my phone waist-high because I didn't secure it to the belt clip correctly.

Lint: With a week of the phone in and out of my pocket, the inner silicone case did pick up lint, but not to a point to be called a "lint magnent". The exposed rubber didn't pick up as much lint as my SGP case.
    The case's built-in filter does a great job keeping things from going on the front and rear speakers.

The only two "small flaws" I can note about this case are the loose kick stand and case's notches for the belt clip.

After using the kick stand several times, it wouldnt stay in place. I found slightly bending it fixed the problem. I'm planning to superglue a really thin magnent strip between the kick stand and support plate. I wonder if it would affect the signal strength...

I rarely use the belt clips in general, but I gave it a try. There were a few times I discovered my phone in recovery mode. The notches for the belt clip are pretty close to the power and volume buttons so you are bound to click it in to place if you don't pay attention.

This is a great case and I would recommend it to anyone. It maybe bulky for some people's taste, but what do you expect if you want to protect your phone? This case is made to take a little, if not more, beating than a standard case.
    Sure, you can get an Otter Box for a little cheaper than the Kraken, but IMO, the Otter Box doesn't look as nice and rugged as this case. My friend ordered a case for his Galaxy, too, to replace his Otter Box.

The extra attachments for this case was a deal-breaker for me, too.
    Looks like they don't have the car attachment yet. It would be interesting to record video while driving.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA App
    Hey, here are the weight and dimensions of the phone+case(s).

The only scale i found is an ice cream scale in ounces; not sure if its accurate as an official ounce scale.

Rough estimates.

Phone with battery, no case:
    4.25 ounces
    4 15/16in x 2 7/16in x 7/8in

Phone with inner case only:
    5.25 ounces
    5 1/8in x 2 7/8in x 1 1/16in

Phone with inner and outer case:
    6.75 ounces
    5 1/8in x 2 9/16in x 1 1/2in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using XDA