[Q] Question about SlimKat 4.4.2

Search This thread

Excelaration

Jan 29, 2014
Hello guys,

First of all, let me make it clear lol. Even though I have read rules and regulations, I apologize if I may break any rules by posting this here.

Secondly, a newbie at android development here. I recently rooted my nexus 4 and installed SlimKat 4.4.2. After the reboot, it looked pretty normal and everything seemed to be working fine. However, I rebooted my phone second time and the APP MENU and Clock changed their position. APP MENU seemed to have moved to right, rather than on centre. Same thing with Clock. It cannot be placed right in the middle as any normal OS would have (please refer to the pictures). I am aware of the fact that this version of SlimKat is not as stable as 4.3. Therefore, before I flash it to 4.3, I wanted to see if there would be a cure.

My last question is, if I want to install Franco Kernel, would it be compatible with SlimKat 4.4.2?

Thanks. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-06-05.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-06-05.png
    220.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-17-54.png
    Screenshot_2014-01-29-13-17-54.png
    140.5 KB · Views: 55

bladebuddy

Dec 31, 2011
Yes to Franco kernel and you're problem is that slimkat has a different dpi from most stock roms . I haven't installed the rom but I think there may be an option in the settings to change it back , if not its easily done via the build prop . Just Google it. From my following of the thread it seems to be an excellent choice of rom , so change what you need to then enjoy.

Phone : Nexus 4 /Rom : cataclysm / Kernel : Stock.

Reactions: Excelaration

Excelaration

Jan 29, 2014
I tried but

Yes to Franco kernel and you're problem is that slimkat has a different dpi from most stock roms . I haven't installed the rom but I think there may be an option in the settings to change it back , if not its easily done via the build prop . Just Google it. From my following of the thread it seems to be an excellent choice of rom , so change what you need to then enjoy.

Thanks for the reply man but my curiosity got me. Even before you replied, I tried installing FK r193 and it failed . Like, I rebooted after installation. It was stuck to black screen of death right after the Google's logo. I had to reinstall the ROM in order to overcome the BSOD problem.

Also, do you think I can go back from Slimkat 4.4.2 to Kitkat 4.4.2 (original OS) and then Install FK?

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Thanks for the reply man but my curiosity got me. Even before you replied, I tried installing FK r193 and it failed . Like, I rebooted after installation. It was stuck to black screen of death right after the Google's logo. I had to reinstall the ROM in order to overcome the BSOD problem.

Also, do you think I can go back from Slimkat 4.4.2 to Kitkat 4.4.2 (original OS) and then Install FK?

That screen you're posting maybe due to the grid dimension change in the launcher. Sometimes it is buggy and changed by itself upon reboot. Seems to be happening across many roms randomly (mostly it changed the grid in appdrawer by itself) using that google launcher. For franco, r193 seems quite old right? Why not try it with the latest one?

Yes, you can just go back to stock 4.4.2. If you had made a nand backup of your stock, then it will be easier. If you don't, then just flash back 4.4.2 factory images or just try other roms. There are many good ones out there. :D

Excelaration

Jan 29, 2014
That screen you're posting maybe due to the grid dimension change in the launcher. Sometimes it is buggy and changed by itself upon reboot. Seems to be happening across many roms randomly (mostly it changed the grid in appdrawer by itself) using that google launcher. For franco, r193 seems quite old right? Why not try it with the latest one?

Yes, you can just go back to stock 4.4.2. If you had made a nand backup of your stock, then it will be easier. If you don't, then just flash back 4.4.2 factory images or just try other roms. There are many good ones out there. :D

Lol yeah. I finally figured. I downloaded it from a youtube video, and the link he posted was in Aug '13. I m trying to google it but It leads me to xda page where I cant seem to locate the older versions. does FK has a proper website from where I can download latest update? Also, how would I know if I need JSS or JWR? I mean, I tried doing my research and I found the following xda page.

http://xdaforums.com/nexus-4/general/info-android-4-3-jss15jjss15q-vs-t2382880

I'm still confused. But eh, thanks for replying mate. I'm loving this forum!

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Lol yeah. I finally figured. I downloaded it from a youtube video, and the link he posted was in Aug '13. I m trying to google it but It leads me to xda page where I cant seem to locate the older versions. does FK has a proper website from where I can download latest update? Also, how would I know if I need JSS or JWR? I mean, I tried doing my research and I found the following xda page.

Jwr/jss is 4.3 kernel. Nothing to worry about that as we are using 4.4+ ;) Here, this is franco's thread. You can get the link for latest build there. Alternatively, you can buy his app (Franco Kernel Updater) in playstore to get updates.

Arju

Nov 11, 2008
Örebro/Sweden
Hello guys,

First of all, let me make it clear lol. Even though I have read rules and regulations, I apologize if I may break any rules by posting this here.

Secondly, a newbie at android development here. I recently rooted my nexus 4 and installed SlimKat 4.4.2. After the reboot, it looked pretty normal and everything seemed to be working fine. However, I rebooted my phone second time and the APP MENU and Clock changed their position. APP MENU seemed to have moved to right, rather than on centre. Same thing with Clock. It cannot be placed right in the middle as any normal OS would have (please refer to the pictures). I am aware of the fact that this version of SlimKat is not as stable as 4.3. Therefore, before I flash it to 4.3, I wanted to see if there would be a cure.

My last question is, if I want to install Franco Kernel, would it be compatible with SlimKat 4.4.2?

The positioning of the app drawer and clock has to do with the dip. Download textdroider dpi from playstore and change your dpi to 280 and that will fix the missalignment problem.

Arju

Nov 11, 2008
Örebro/Sweden
Or just open build.prop in device/system/build.prop and edit this line
ro.sf.lcd_density=set your value :good:

Yes, that's what I do. But I guess I chose to share the easy way out. Either way I don't really use Google experience launcher, I use Nova launcher so I'm not affected by the dpi missalignment.

So to do it manually do as posted above, edit buld.prop. To do it easily download textdroider dpi.

arffrhn

Mar 12, 2013
Kuala Lumpur
Yes, that's what I do. But I guess I chose to share the easy way out. Either way I don't really use Google experience launcher, I use Nova launcher so I'm not affected by the dpi missalignment.

So to do it manually do as posted above, edit buld.prop. To do it easily download textdroider dpi.

Yeah, using nova here too so that I can theme the icons. Using xposed to mask the icons is too much of a hassle. :D

fatihlale

Jan 30, 2014
Ankara

thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello guys,

The positioning of the app drawer and clock has to do with the dip. Download textdroider dpi from playstore and change your dpi to 280 and that will fix the missalignment problem.
    Or just open build.prop in device/system/build.prop and edit this line
    ro.sf.lcd_density=set your value :good:

Jwr/jss is 4.3 kernel. Nothing to worry about that as we are using 4.4+ ;) Here, this is franco's thread. You can get the link for latest build there. Alternatively, you can buy his app (Franco Kernel Updater) in playstore to get updates.