[Q] Who wants this amazing device?

Search This thread

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
I'll definitely be looking into it. I really like the idea and it will be a fun part of the SDK to play with.

loopers

Sep 1, 2012
I'm on Verizon edge program.. so getting the edge is just a phone swap away.... my main concern is this: my phone when not In my hand is in my pocket.. sound familar? I'm just curious with the "always on" side screen if phone is gonna be pushing screen buttons on etc.. also concerned about battery life.. it'll be this or the note 4 99% might throw the iPhone plus in my hand (never owned an iphone) if it comes out first just to see what the fan boy crap is about..then return it and get the edge or 4. I personally don't see what the hype is about iphones... guess I'll figure it out maybe

p64imp

Oct 31, 2012
http://xdaforums.com/note-edge/help/note-edge-galaxy-vr-virtual-reality-t2873231#post55652033

^^^ THis.

Originally Posted by Shibby303 View Post
I went with the Note 4 instead of the Edge because of the VR thing. Real shame.
i did too. just put in my pre-order.

and i agree... stupid stupid move on samsung's part.

no support for gear vr on edge for +$150-200? Adding a small notification screen and sacrificing a free VR headset for the same price is a no go for me.

what would you rather have?

-$699 note 4 + $200 vr headset = $999

-$999 edge with a cool little notification bar = $999

I'm all about cool new tech, but when they cut off gear vr support from the edge, they cut me off of this cool little bonus. when you think about it, your making the choice between a VR headset or a notification bar for the same amount of money. I'd MUCH rather have a vr headset as they are doing WAY more dev wise with this then they are with that little note bar. VR games, movies, etc., or a nightstand alarm clock?

Also consider this: They produced 11 million note 4's. will you get one on day one on OCT 17th? yes you will. Whenever they finally get around to announcing the Note Edge, with only 1 mil made (1 / 11th of what they produced in the note 4 flavor), and considering its going to have a near-black friday launch, people dont have a bat's chance in hell getting this phone without a 6 hour line wait outside of your favorite cell phone shop. I will definitely pass on that.

Considering only 1mil are made, and its a flagship phone testing out this new tech on the market, how do you think that will do for accessories? Your not going to have much selection for sure, especially with the challenge of supporting the odd screen design.

Additionally, considering its a niche market, there are really not going to be too many dev's on this making interesting apps. Why would they? it would be a market for 1% of the android app store consumers considering the volume of devices being made and sold. This spans beyond direct dev and in to interesting upgrades on apps you already use like MX player. I'd doubt the dev's of MX player would add support for this device as so few of their customer base would even have the phone. In fact, the UK market will be wholly devoid of this device, so forget about anything coming out of the UK accessory/app wise as well.

All things considered, is it cool? heck yeah it is. however, this is a sample of things to come. I personally am going to wait until they establish this tech in the next gen of phones and really take advantage of it. Cool curvy-notification bar is just a test run... next gen is going to have something more interesting, say a full fold-up or something of the like once they really perfect the production of this technology.

pass.

Last edited:

kms108

Sep 16, 2007
I'm considering this, but have to see the real thing first.

Two things that will put me off is this phone will not have a glass screen protector, and it seems like the curve edge is the weakest point on the phone, with a drop on the curved edge, i'm sure the screen will easily crack, and the screen is not cheap to replace.

JoganJani

Sep 25, 2014

Two things that will put me off is this phone will not have a glass screen protector, and it seems like the curve edge is the weakest point on the phone, with a drop on the curved edge, i'm sure the screen will easily crack, and the screen is not cheap to replace.

I remember reading that Samsung designers were asked this qtn and the response was that they've designed this in such a way that it will always fall on the frame. :confused: Dunno how.

ilordvader

Oct 27, 2007
Mumbai

"Edge is the weakest point on the phone" ... really lol
http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=42791

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Who wants this amazing device?
    Any news on availability?
    I'm still on my Note II and I don't see any good reason to go for the Note 4, but I'd definitely consider the edge simply for it's uniqueness.

But ONLY if it gets rooted and ROM'd.

Speaking of which, someone please tell me the makers of DN3 are working on porting the Note 4's Touchwiz back to Note II! :fingers-crossed:
    I want it and already preorder it on www.clove.co.uk .
    The wait begins!:)

I think I want the edge too. If nothing else if development is not there, in 6 months I'll just get something else or just live with stock :) . It just seems too "cutting edge" to pass up. Note 4 is great but a little something different in form would be nice for a change.