[ROM][DISCONTINUED] Huawei U8836D / Ascend G500 Pro (MT6577) custom ROMs (ICS)

Search This thread

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Hello everyone!

In this thread you'll find all my custom ROMs for Huawei U8836D / Ascend G500 Pro (MT6577) smartphone (also known as Huawei Shine). Please be sure to read this carefully in order to avoid unnecessary questions. ;)

Do not mirror my files, as I will always make sure links are working. :fingers-crossed: Instead, please share the link to this thread.

Tutorials and Frequently asked questions (FAQ):
For tutorials jump into post #2.

For frequently asked questions (FAQ) jump into post #3.​

Version history (including download links):

V1.0MOD (02-10-2012):
  • Based on official Android 4.0.4 ROM (Huawei release: U8836DV100R001CHNC00B600SP19 ; Stock kernel 3.0.13)
  • Custom changes:
    • Removed all Chinese applications (Chinese IME, Huawei app store, etc)
    • Added reboot to recovery option to power menu
    • Enabled MediaTek EPO and A-GPS settings under Location services menu
    • Enabled Speech category (Voice search and TTS output) under Language & input menu
    • Fixed the bug related to the association of caller identification (CID) with contacts, due to country code prefixes
    • Integrated the latest version of Google apps
    • Added ES File Explorer (v1.6.2.1) and ES Task Manager (v1.3.1)
    • Rooted (no need to root phone with third party applications) with SuperUser application (v3.1.3) and su binary (v3.1.1)
    • Busybox (v1.20.2) installed
    • Added battery percentage (in steps of 1%) display
    • Changed notification LED color to blue instead of green
    • Updated APN list (apns-conf.xml)
    • Added AdFree hosts to system hosts file (blocks ads in several applications or games, for example Angry Birds)
    • Added stock ICS LatinIME and dictionary pack
=> Download link
=> MD5 sum: 3b547d0f6b643b168b02468c4c55b6fd​

V2.0MOD (20-10-2012):
  • Based on official Android 4.0.4 ROM (Huawei release: U8836DV100R001CHNC00B600SP25 ; Stock kernel 3.0.13)
  • Custom changes:
    • Added some build.prop tweaks to improve pictures and video quality, increase touch responsiveness and improve battery life
    • Updated ICS LatinIME and dictionary pack
    • Updated Google Play Store (v3.9.16)
    • Updated Street View on Google Maps (v1.8.1.2)
    • Updated Huawei Mobile Partner internal disk with the latest HiSuite software and Google ADB drivers
    • Added support for the following languages: Arabic, Bengali, German, Spanish, Farsi, French, Hindu, Indonesian, Italian, Malaysian, Dutch, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Russian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese and Chinese (traditional and simplified)
=> Download link
=> MD5 sum: 1d5a43add7745958d33484f344cfa46f​

V2.1MOD (16-12-2012):
  • Custom changes:
    • User customize-able installation based on AROMA installer
    • Included script to automatically disable internal sdcard if extended userdata partition is detected (be sure to read post #4)
    • Included JB LatinIME (with predictive swipe) and dictionary pack
    • Updated Google Play Store (v3.10.10)
    • Updated Google Play Services (v2.0.12)
    • Updated Gmail (v4.2.1)
    • Updated YouTube (v4.2.16)
    • Added support for the following languages: Czech, Hungarian, Polish and Greek
    • Unlocked hidden features under Developer options menu
    • Fixed bootloop when factory reset was done under Android system
=> Download link
=> MD5 sum: 331e8763eddf7c2ac1ce0f1020ca1bbd​

V2.2MOD (28-12-2012):
  • Custom changes:
    • Fixed SystemUI crash when system language was set to Czech or Greek
    • Corrected date format entries for Czech and Greek languages
    • Fixed non-working light sensor reported by some users
    • Disabled built-in virtual disk drive
    • Updated TZ data (timezone data)
    • Updated Google Maps (v6.14.2)
=> Download link
=> MD5 sum: 193d5087d0731f318bf514aee2fbaec7​

V3.0MOD (18-02-2013):
  • Based on official Android 4.0.4 ROM (Huawei release: U8836DV100R001C10B600SP12 ; Stock kernel 3.0.13)
  • Custom changes:
    • Added all fixes / modifications as in previous releases
=> Download link
=> MD5 sum: d9a3f828e605b2115aee7030009b1745​

GPL compliance:

Credits:
  • iBotPeaches and brut.all for apktool
  • dsixda for his ROM kitchen which is really helpfull for easy-deodexing
  • Koush for his wonderfull CWM recovery, as well to all contibutors
  • amarullz for his amazing AROMA installer
  • ...and finally to all the devs whose apps, tweaks and scripts I have used on my custom ROMs

Please don't just leech the files and go away. You can easily say thanks just by pressing "Thanks" button.

Feel free to post your comments. I hope you all like it! ;)

Last edited:

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Tutorials

How to enter into recovery mode:

With Huawei U8836D completely turned off, press and hold VOL. UP key and turn on the phone. The phone will vibrate and after the splash logo appears, all keys should be released.​

Navigation under recovery mode:

Stock recovery mode: As soon as the splash logo disappears, an image with a triangle and an Android will appear and BACK key must be pressed in order to access menu options. Navigation is made using VOLUME keys (navigate up with VOL. UP and navigate down with VOL. DOWN) and MENU key to apply the action.

Custom recovery mode: As soon as the splash logo disappears, ClockworkMod Recovery menu will appear. Navigation is made using VOLUME keys (navigate up with VOL. UP and navigate down with VOL. DOWN) and MENU key to apply the action.​

How to flash custom recovery:

Download Huawei U8836D custom recovery and follow this MT657x flashing tutorial.

Warning: the package includes preloader, but there's no need to flash it. Make sure that you select only recovery to be flashed.​

Flashing a new custom ROM via the SD card method (update.zip):

Read this guide to know more about ClockworkMod Recovery and how to flash a custom ROM.​

Last edited:

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Question: I can't install your custom ROMs. Why? What am I doing wrong?
Answer: First of all you have to flash a custom recovery into your phone and then you are able to install my custom ROMs. Read the tutorials on post #2 to know the procedures.​

Question: I wanted to try one of your custom ROMs. Will I loose all my data after installing it?
Answer: Yes, you will loose all your data... unless you create a backup to restore after installing the ROM. There are two recommended ways to create backups of your userdata:
  • Doing the backup under custom recovery mode: navigate to backup and restore menu.
  • Using Titanium Backup to create a backup of your favourite applications.

Question: Can I fully revert to factory settings?
Answer: Sure, just download the stock update.zip and install it from recovery.​

Question: In phone specifications it's stated that it has 4 GB of eMMC, but only approximately 700 MB are available for internal storage... Can you explain me the reason for that?
Answer: The phone has indeed 4 GB of eMMC. Part of it is used by system and cache partitions, while the rest of the size is divided into internal storage (approximately 700 MB) and an internal sdcard partition (approximately 2 GB). If you find that an internal sdcard partition is useless (and have a big external sdcard), you can extend userdata partition (internal sdcard partition completely disabled). Jump into post #4 to learn how to apply that mod.​

Question: Somehow I have got invalid IMEI numbers. How do I restore my phone's IMEI numbers?
Answer: Read this tutorial. Don't forget to say thanks to its author.​

Question: Does my phone really have two IMEI numbers?
Answer: Every dual SIM smartphone based on MT65xx SoC has two IMEI numbers. Some just don't display both numbers on dialler when you type code *#06#, but if you go into Settings / About phone / Status / IMEI information you'll see the IMEI set for both slots.​

Question: How can I access hidden MediaTek engineering mode?
Answer: From phone's dialler type code *#*#3646633#*#*.​

Question: Are your custom ROMs patched to fix Android's master key (bugs 8219321 and 9695860) vulnerabilities?
Answer: No, but the solution to that is pretty simple:

To check if system is vulnerable you can use one of the following apps:

All credits to rovo89 for the amazing Xposed framework and also to Tungstwenty for the Master key universal fix.​

Question: I don't have this phone, but mine is also based on the same MT6577 SoC. Can I still flash your recovery and install your custom ROMs?
Answer: Even though your phone is based on the same SoC, there may be differences in other hardware components. It is not likely that recovery and ROMs will work on your phone so you may risk to brick it.​

Last edited:

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Huawei U8836D internal memory re-partition

Initial notes:
  1. Make sure that you have a full nandroid backup of your current ROM. If not, boot into recovery mode and make one. This is very important if you want to restore userdata after internal memory is re-partitioned.
  2. Also make sure that you have a backup of your internal sdcard because it will be fully erased and disabled.

Warning: the package includes preloader, but there's no need to flash it. Make sure that your selection is according to the screenshot bellow.

Instructions:
  1. Copy disable_internal_sdcard.zip to external sdcard (read note bellow)
  2. Shutdown the phone
  3. Open SP Flash Tool v3.1222.00 (or higher) and load the scatter file
  4. Flash MBR, EBR1 and RECOVERY as shown on the next image (read flashing tutorial first):

34xqp0p.png

5. After flashing is complete, boot into recovery mode and format /data
  6. Optionally, if you want to restore previously saved userdata, go to nandroid backup / restore and restore data (advanced restore feature)
  7. Install disable_internal_sdcard.zip file through recovery mode (read note bellow)
  8. Reboot your phone and enjoy your extended userdata partition

Important update: All the new ROM updates which include AROMA installer also include a script to automatically disable internal sdcard if extended userdata partition is detected. Dismiss the part of the instructions that refers to the installation of disable_internal_sdcard.zip file. All the rest of the procedure is still valid and must be done before installing the ROM. That said, if you are going to apply this modification, you must re-install the ROM.

Please also note that this mod should only work with my custom ROM installed. Be warned and please do not blame me if you run into some problem while applying the mod over stock or any other custom ROM

Last edited:

Sathelp

Nov 27, 2007
Brean, Somerset
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Thanks Bruno for the recovery image. I will get it flashed when I am back home.
I have noticed that actual phone reception signal levels are lower than my W3+ Thl phone. Have you noticed any difference in signal levels where you are against your ZTE 970? It may be just the algorithm they use on this one.
I love the tricolour led but lack of tts settings is a little annoying. Overall, I am very pleased with it so far though.

adrenalize_

Aug 15, 2012
Thanks Bruno - I look forward to some custom ROMs - I'd managed to dump the entire original ROM last week having made a scatter file then add Gapps but nothing else. I'm completely new to modding and happy to do any testing etc. My phone had the original factory ROM.

Yes the signal reported does seem on the low side. The battery drain does seem a little high as well so far even when not constantly playing with it!!) - wonder if the CPU governor is set properly?

Edit - gave the phone a good full charge overnight - before using it today and down to 90% after 12 hours - with little/no use - so about normal for a smartphone. Probably hadn't charged it fully before!!

Last edited:

neveceral

Dec 20, 2007
Thanks Bruno, my phone is at this time only paperweight, so I am waiting impatiently for your ROM. :)

Sathelp

Nov 27, 2007
Brean, Somerset
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra
Thanks for the recovery img Bruno.
For those of you who want to install the Huawei HiSuite app on your phone and desktop but can not get a link from the Huawei site here, I have uploaded it to 4Shared and you can download it from this folder here.This suite allows some syncing to be done and some backups etc. Full details on the Huawei website.

EDIT:
Bruno, not quite sure what happens but after flashing your custom recovery and testing it, I reboot and the original recovery returns! Just to make sure that I was not going mad, I flashed the custom recovery image again. I can use it, I have even done a back up of the system but after running the phone and a reboot, the original recovery returns again.
Is there anything to resolve this, are you having same problems? This is really strange.

EDIT:
From MSprecher
The custom recovery is allways overwritten by the stockrecovery when booting the phone. This can be avoided by rebooting from within the CustomRecovery right after having flashed it. There should be an extra-option after the reboot-command in CWM-Recovery to avoid this.

Enjoy Matthias

Last edited:

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Thanks Bruno, my phone is at this time only paperweight, so I am waiting impatiently for your ROM. :)
Please be patient. I plan to release the first version during this week. :fingers-crossed:

Bruno, not quite sure what happens but after flashing your custom recovery and testing it, I reboot and the original recovery returns! Just to make sure that I was not going mad, I flashed the custom recovery image again. I can use it, I have even done a back up of the system but after running the phone and a reboot, the original recovery returns again.
Is there anything to resolve this, are you having same problems? This is really strange.
Yes, that happens with the stock ROM installed and the workaround for now is the one Matthias already told you. With my custom ROM installed that will not happen. ;)

Reactions: tirtob

Crake

Sep 29, 2007
Maia
Huawei P30 Pro
Huawei P40 Pro
Bruno it will be great (i don't know if it is possible) if the new rom could aggregate the memories, i mean the same you did on the ZTE, putting the same storage for programs and the only sdcard is the external.

Crake

Sep 29, 2007
Maia
Huawei P30 Pro
Huawei P40 Pro
Btw, i found now in my small experience with the device two problems:

- Some apps can't be installed (Asphalt 7, Sports Tracker, WorldMate, etc.) which were working in my previous Gsmart G1345. Is it due to the Mtk CPU??
- Comparing again the two devices, this one has a worse GPS, much more inaccurate and very slower in getting signal.

Lets wait for your fantastic Rom, Bruno.

neveceral

Dec 20, 2007
Crake you are right, I cannot install profile scheduler+ or EasyProfiles Pro due incompatibility. DualSIM?

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
I love the tricolour led but lack of tts settings is a little annoying. Overall, I am very pleased with it so far though.
I have already enabled Speech category (Voice search and TTS output) under Language & input menu, so you'll be able to access TTS settings.

By the way, I will release the first custom ROM today. It will not support any additional language other than the default ones - English and Chinese (Traditional and Simplified) because I don't have time right now to do it. The support for more languages will only be included in the next version. Hope you all understand! :cool:

sean26

May 15, 2009
awesome!!

u know I have been waiting for a rom for this phone u8836D from day one, because i messed it up on the day i received it, especially replacing the system folder files etc.. just pain in the bum to not have a rom (even stock rom) handy. And it's been endless waiting...

when your first post came up, I opened your shared folder for like a million times to try to find the rom, but just recovery img there, i thought I missed something maybe and read all your posts another million times...

Now just 10 mins ago, it appears in that lovely folder just like a magic...

Will let you know how I go...

i haven't learned my lessons from my last 5 Android phones...all I want now is just clean system with google services on...

When we get that, we star talking optimization and who's ass is more sex lol

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Okay, I have just uploaded the first custom ROM for U8836D into my 4shared folder.

Please read what are the fixes / modifications that I've made over the stock ROM on the third post of this thread or in the readme.pdf that's inside the .7z file.

Enjoy! :fingers-crossed:

EDIT: I forgot to say that this ROM clears all userdata, so make a backup first using Titanium Backup, for example. But please note: do not restore any contact / messages database. Let Android create it from the scratch or else, if you restore everything the CID bug will be there again!

Last edited:

bgcngm

Recognized Developer
Apr 2, 2007
Lisbon
HTC One (M8)
Xiaomi Mi 5
Simple: you don't restore. Just sync the contacts again with Google (or Exchange), let the database be built from scratch and that's it. It's either that or having the nasty CID bug back...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everyone!

In this thread you'll find all my custom ROMs for Huawei U8836D / Ascend G500 Pro (MT6577) smartphone (also known as Huawei Shine). Please be sure to read this carefully in order to avoid unnecessary questions. ;)

Do not mirror my files, as I will always make sure links are working. :fingers-crossed: Instead, please share the link to this thread.

Tutorials and Frequently asked questions (FAQ):
    For tutorials jump into post #2.

For frequently asked questions (FAQ) jump into post #3.​

Version history (including download links):

V1.0MOD (02-10-2012):
    • Based on official Android 4.0.4 ROM (Huawei release: U8836DV100R001CHNC00B600SP19 ; Stock kernel 3.0.13)
    • Custom changes:
      • Removed all Chinese applications (Chinese IME, Huawei app store, etc)
      • Added reboot to recovery option to power menu
      • Enabled MediaTek EPO and A-GPS settings under Location services menu
      • Enabled Speech category (Voice search and TTS output) under Language & input menu
      • Fixed the bug related to the association of caller identification (CID) with contacts, due to country code prefixes
      • Added ES File Explorer (v1.6.2.1) and ES Task Manager (v1.3.1)
      • Rooted (no need to root phone with third party applications) with SuperUser application (v3.1.3) and su binary (v3.1.1)
      • Busybox (v1.20.2) installed
      • Added battery percentage (in steps of 1%) display
      • Changed notification LED color to blue instead of green
      • Added AdFree hosts to system hosts file (blocks ads in several applications or games, for example Angry Birds)
      • Added stock ICS LatinIME and dictionary pack
    => Download link
    => MD5 sum: 3b547d0f6b643b168b02468c4c55b6fd​

V2.0MOD (20-10-2012):
    • Based on official Android 4.0.4 ROM (Huawei release: U8836DV100R001CHNC00B600SP25 ; Stock kernel 3.0.13)
    • Custom changes:
      • Added some build.prop tweaks to improve pictures and video quality, increase touch responsiveness and improve battery life
      • Updated ICS LatinIME and dictionary pack
      • Updated Google Play Store (v3.9.16)
      • Updated Street View on Google Maps (v1.8.1.2)
      • Updated Huawei Mobile Partner internal disk with the latest HiSuite software and Google ADB drivers
      • Added support for the following languages: Arabic, Bengali, German, Spanish, Farsi, French, Hindu, Indonesian, Italian, Malaysian, Dutch, Portuguese (Portugal and Brazil), Russian, Thai, Turkish, Urdu, Vietnamese and Chinese (traditional and simplified)
    => Download link
    => MD5 sum: 1d5a43add7745958d33484f344cfa46f​

V2.1MOD (16-12-2012):
    • Custom changes:
      • User customize-able installation based on AROMA installer
      • Included script to automatically disable internal sdcard if extended userdata partition is detected (be sure to read post #4)
      • Included JB LatinIME (with predictive swipe) and dictionary pack
      • Updated Google Play Store (v3.10.10)
      • Updated Google Play Services (v2.0.12)
      • Updated Gmail (v4.2.1)
      • Updated YouTube (v4.2.16)
      • Added support for the following languages: Czech, Hungarian, Polish and Greek
      • Unlocked hidden features under Developer options menu
      • Fixed bootloop when factory reset was done under Android system
    => Download link
    => MD5 sum: 331e8763eddf7c2ac1ce0f1020ca1bbd​

V2.2MOD (28-12-2012):
    • Custom changes:
      • Fixed SystemUI crash when system language was set to Czech or Greek
      • Corrected date format entries for Czech and Greek languages
      • Fixed non-working light sensor reported by some users
      • Disabled built-in virtual disk drive
      • Updated TZ data (timezone data)
      • Updated Google Maps (v6.14.2)
    => Download link
    => MD5 sum: 193d5087d0731f318bf514aee2fbaec7​

V3.0MOD (18-02-2013):
    • Based on official Android 4.0.4 ROM (Huawei release: U8836DV100R001C10B600SP12 ; Stock kernel 3.0.13)
    • Custom changes:
      • Added all fixes / modifications as in previous releases
    => Download link
    => MD5 sum: d9a3f828e605b2115aee7030009b1745​

GPL compliance:

Credits:
    • iBotPeaches and brut.all for apktool
    • dsixda for his ROM kitchen which is really helpfull for easy-deodexing
    • Koush for his wonderfull CWM recovery, as well to all contibutors
    • amarullz for his amazing AROMA installer
    • ...and finally to all the devs whose apps, tweaks and scripts I have used on my custom ROMs

Please don't just leech the files and go away. You can easily say thanks just by pressing "Thanks" button.

Feel free to post your comments. I hope you all like it! ;)
    Tutorials

How to enter into recovery mode:

With Huawei U8836D completely turned off, press and hold VOL. UP key and turn on the phone. The phone will vibrate and after the splash logo appears, all keys should be released.​

Navigation under recovery mode:

Stock recovery mode: As soon as the splash logo disappears, an image with a triangle and an Android will appear and BACK key must be pressed in order to access menu options. Navigation is made using VOLUME keys (navigate up with VOL. UP and navigate down with VOL. DOWN) and MENU key to apply the action.

Custom recovery mode: As soon as the splash logo disappears, ClockworkMod Recovery menu will appear. Navigation is made using VOLUME keys (navigate up with VOL. UP and navigate down with VOL. DOWN) and MENU key to apply the action.​

How to flash custom recovery:

Download Huawei U8836D custom recovery and follow this MT657x flashing tutorial.

Warning: the package includes preloader, but there's no need to flash it. Make sure that you select only recovery to be flashed.​

Flashing a new custom ROM via the SD card method (update.zip):

Read this guide to know more about ClockworkMod Recovery and how to flash a custom ROM.​
    Frequently asked questions (FAQ)

Question: I can't install your custom ROMs. Why? What am I doing wrong?
    Answer: First of all you have to flash a custom recovery into your phone and then you are able to install my custom ROMs. Read the tutorials on post #2 to know the procedures.​

Question: I wanted to try one of your custom ROMs. Will I loose all my data after installing it?
    Answer: Yes, you will loose all your data... unless you create a backup to restore after installing the ROM. There are two recommended ways to create backups of your userdata:
    • Doing the backup under custom recovery mode: navigate to backup and restore menu.
    • Using Titanium Backup to create a backup of your favourite applications.

Question: Can I fully revert to factory settings?
    Answer: Sure, just download the stock update.zip and install it from recovery.​

Question: In phone specifications it's stated that it has 4 GB of eMMC, but only approximately 700 MB are available for internal storage... Can you explain me the reason for that?
    Answer: The phone has indeed 4 GB of eMMC. Part of it is used by system and cache partitions, while the rest of the size is divided into internal storage (approximately 700 MB) and an internal sdcard partition (approximately 2 GB). If you find that an internal sdcard partition is useless (and have a big external sdcard), you can extend userdata partition (internal sdcard partition completely disabled). Jump into post #4 to learn how to apply that mod.​

Question: Somehow I have got invalid IMEI numbers. How do I restore my phone's IMEI numbers?
    Answer: Read this tutorial. Don't forget to say thanks to its author.​

Question: Does my phone really have two IMEI numbers?
    Answer: Every dual SIM smartphone based on MT65xx SoC has two IMEI numbers. Some just don't display both numbers on dialler when you type code *#06#, but if you go into Settings / About phone / Status / IMEI information you'll see the IMEI set for both slots.​

Question: How can I access hidden MediaTek engineering mode?
    Answer: From phone's dialler type code *#*#3646633#*#*.​

Question: Are your custom ROMs patched to fix Android's master key (bugs 8219321 and 9695860) vulnerabilities?
    Answer: No, but the solution to that is pretty simple:

To check if system is vulnerable you can use one of the following apps:

All credits to rovo89 for the amazing Xposed framework and also to Tungstwenty for the Master key universal fix.​

Question: I don't have this phone, but mine is also based on the same MT6577 SoC. Can I still flash your recovery and install your custom ROMs?
    Answer: Even though your phone is based on the same SoC, there may be differences in other hardware components. It is not likely that recovery and ROMs will work on your phone so you may risk to brick it.​
    Good news for everyone out there waiting for the multi-lang ROM! I have just released the new custom ROM, which is based on the latest official OTA update from Huawei.

Please read version history on the first post of the thread and enjoy! :D
    Thank you guys for your valuable feedback! I'm glad to know that you are happy but I wanted to have more feedback from another users. So far, after 70 downloads of the first custom ROM, only 8 different users have posted here on this thread. I know that some may be newly registered users, not allowed to post on this section, but please do whatever you need to meet the requirements to post here and share your opinions (instead of sending me private messages). :cool:

And by the way, don't forget to hit "Thanks" button. That doesn't hurt!