Replaced cracked screen, rear camera focus no longer working

Search This thread

Grims

Dec 5, 2007
So I was clumsy and dropped the phone, screen shattered horribly. Ordered a new OEM screen + housing, and moved all the components over (was incredibly easy).

Only issue now is the rear camera won't focus. it tries, but fails. Front camera is fine. There isn't much to the camera, it's a module with a ribbon cable. All I can think of is I must of smudged the lens or something. Or perhaps the heat gun I used to melt the adhesive messed with it.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm brainstorming at work before I head home and pop the cover to take a look.

oOflyeyesOo

May 27, 2010
St louis
Examine everything around the camera connection, make sure no resistors are knocked off or anything. Also, try to do a factory restore, its rare but sometimes software can get buggy after disconnecting parts. Clean the connection with a tooth brush and alcohol. And if all else fails replace the camera.

Grims

Dec 5, 2007
Examine everything around the camera connection, make sure no resistors are knocked off or anything. Also, try to do a factory restore, its rare but sometimes software can get buggy after disconnecting parts. Clean the connection with a tooth brush and alcohol. And if all else fails replace the camera.

I popped the cover and didn't see anything obvious so I ordered a new camera (all of 13 bucks haha). I am almost wondering if maybe the camera got killed along with the screen when I dropped it. The OIS seems like it may not like being jarred too hard.

ivan333

Apr 10, 2014
I popped the cover and didn't see anything obvious so I ordered a new camera (all of 13 bucks haha). I am almost wondering if maybe the camera got killed along with the screen when I dropped it. The OIS seems like it may not like being jarred too hard.

Tell us what was the problem pls, just in case it happens to us any day...

Grims

Dec 5, 2007
Tell us what was the problem pls, just in case it happens to us any day...

It is all in his post... Broke the screen, replaced it, camera wouldn't focus.

I think he meant to update the thread with what the solution to my problem is :confused:

I think the camera module got messed up either when I dropped it, or because I had the heat gun cranked up too high. The gun I have is really far too powerful for this type of stuff, I should had used a blow dryer. Live and learn!

Anyway, I ordered another module that will be here this week, and I'll update the thread if it resolves the issue. I'm sure it will, not really anything else that could be wrong (knock on wood)

Aug 28, 2013
I believe you could have possibly scratched the connectors. Please update us

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

Grims

Dec 5, 2007
I believe you could have possibly scratched the connectors. Please update us

Sent from my LG-D800 using xda app-developers app

The ribbon cable connector? anything is possible I suppose, but it went on and off pretty confidently. It is possible I scratched something on the camera module PCB board. There isn't really a good place to pry it up from the adhesive.

bafonso

Jun 18, 2015
The ribbon cable connector? anything is possible I suppose, but it went on and off pretty confidently. It is possible I scratched something on the camera module PCB board. There isn't really a good place to pry it up from the adhesive.

Did the camera replacement solve your issue?

thanks

Grims

Dec 5, 2007
Yes it did. Ends up the heat gun I used was a little too powerful and had melted the adhesive behind the lens on the camera.

New camera module for 10 bucks fixed it.