s5 mobile Hotspot widget

Search This thread

jchildress

Jul 19, 2010
I use my mobile hotspot every day. I have yet to find a widget to turn it on from the home screen on the s5. I've tried several from Google play but none work. Currently I have to go through settings, other networks, etc to be able to turn it on. Has anyone found one that works with current s5 software?

hemander

Feb 5, 2014
I use my mobile hotspot every day. I have yet to find a widget to turn it on from the home screen on the s5. I've tried several from Google play but none work. Currently I have to go through settings, other networks, etc to be able to turn it on. Has anyone found one that works with current s5 software?

Have you tried downloading widgets from Play Store? Maybe, some of it will work.

Corwin9S

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 20, 2009
www.i900playeraddict.com
hello

you can use the icon in the status bar :

galaxy-s5-watermark-20.jpg

and rearrange icons to have this in the very first icons.

or setup a widget with Widgetsoid https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jim2

Reactions: DeanonZL

jchildress

Jul 19, 2010
I'm not talking about wifi, but the mobile hotspot for using my phone for internet. There isn't a hotspot icon in the drop-down menu. I have tried multiple widget apps from the play store, at least 10 different ones. Some don't work at all, some actually check subscription status but then don't turn it on. Yes I'm on a valid data plan because I can turn it on manually and it works just fine. Something is set up different with the s5 that doesn't let the previous versions work. Something will have to be made specifically for the s5. I even emailed the developer at beautiful widgets who told me it was not possible for an app to toggle the hotspot. Just got this email a few minutes ago btw..

Corwin9S

Jan 20, 2009
www.i900playeraddict.com
hi.
So I've misunderstood your question. You want to share your mobile connexion (3G, 4G,...) to other people, who have to connect via wifi to your phone to gain access to this connexion ?

There is an icon named "wifi hotspot" in the statut bar. You have to swipe horizontaly the icons bar to gain access to other icons. You also can hit the icon to edit and rearrange order.

u9udanyd.jpg

e3u2yza7.jpg

Last edited:

jchildress

Jul 19, 2010
Yes, that's exactly what I'm looking for but that icon is missing from my Verizon based s5...

But that is what I'm looking for

Corwin9S

Jan 20, 2009
www.i900playeraddict.com
Weird... try to use widgetsoid. With this you will be able to put a widget with the wifi hotspot, activate by simple click. I've done it, it's working.

Envoyé de mon SM-G900F en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: mjh8154

Corwin9S

Jan 20, 2009
www.i900playeraddict.com
Here pics on how to setup, once widgetsoid is installed:

Choose switcher widget:
6agare5a.jpg

Select hotspot wifi
jygaje4a.jpg

Click apply (you can choose colors,...)

ydesary9.jpg

You will have the button on screen. Click to activate, button will enlightenment:

ha4y9any.jpg

Reactions: mjh8154

jchildress

Jul 19, 2010
Sadly it does the same thing as the rest I tried. It checks my subscription status, but doesn't turn the hotspot on.

Btw, I'd like to thank you for your help so far, even if nothing has worked yet, I appreciate your trying

delawaredrew

Dec 13, 2010
Olympia, WA
Thanks for finding that, but since it requires root, I'll probably just live with it for now .

I too am annoyed by this on my AT&T S5. I've tried many toggles, Tasker, NFC, etc... Oddly a few times I can get it to turn on if I use the toggle to turn it off then back on. But it only works once for any given toggle, after that nothing. I use it several times a day for my Nexus 7 so a quick toggle would be nice.

The best I can find is a shortcut to the settings sub-page where the Hotspot on/off toggle is. I use Nova launcher so I don't know if this is possible elsewhere. Long press home screen->shortcuts->activities (Nova only option?)->settings->Tethering and WifI Hotspot.

This at least gets me 2 steps to hotspot, beats 4 steps I guess. Perhaps AT$T and Verizon wanted to hide the hotspot option figuring many would never look for it and therefore use less Data.

jchildress

Jul 19, 2010
Not sure why they would want us to use less data since the more we use, the more money they make. It really surprises me that I don't find more people unhappy about this.

brad08stanggt

Apr 6, 2011
it's too bad that Verizon disabled the ability to use a Widget to turn on the wifi hot spot. I use it often and its a pain in the you know what to have to go through a number of screens just to turn it on or off.

Wish they would allow a Widget or Notification bar icon. They load our phones up with crap then leave out important features like this.

SBoeker

May 20, 2011
it's too bad that Verizon disabled the ability to use a Widget to turn on the wifi hot spot. I use it often and its a pain in the you know what to have to go through a number of screens just to turn it on or off.

Wish they would allow a Widget or Notification bar icon. They load our phones up with crap then leave out important features like this.

Try installing power toggles from the app store. I use it and it works great! Hope this helps.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    hello

you can use the icon in the status bar :

galaxy-s5-watermark-20.jpg

and rearrange icons to have this in the very first icons.

or setup a widget with Widgetsoid https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jim2
    Weird... try to use widgetsoid. With this you will be able to put a widget with the wifi hotspot, activate by simple click. I've done it, it's working.

Here pics on how to setup, once widgetsoid is installed:

Choose switcher widget:
    6agare5a.jpg

Select hotspot wifi
    jygaje4a.jpg

Click apply (you can choose colors,...)

ydesary9.jpg

You will have the button on screen. Click to activate, button will enlightenment:

ha4y9any.jpg