Ghost Armor for Captivate

Search This thread

bptba93

Oct 11, 2010
I had my Samsung Captivate ghost armored at the mall a few weeks after I purchased it. It was around 40 bucks for the whole phone to be protected and came with a lifetime warranty.(If you get a replacement phone, keep the material they charge 10 bucks for re-installation/new material.)

I've had the phone and armor on it for several months now. I'd have to say, it was really not worth the money. After getting the phone done, the edges around the phone didn't feel right in the hand, you could feel the edges the plastic added and it wasn't pleasant. I remedied this with a simple rubber case, almost defeating the purpose of most of the ghost armor.

Today I decided to just take the armor off after having it on for roughly 3-4 months. The screen had began to get little bubbles in it in some places that was sort of annoying, also I sometimes didn't want to have a case on, and the phone as I said before was uncomfortable.

One thing they advertise when you purchase the ghost armor is it reduces the grease your fingers leave on the screen and make it much easier to remove. I experienced the complete opposite, the ghost armor seemed to almost attract even more grease and made it more difficult to "degrease" the screen. The bare screen works much better, it doesn't attract much grease and it's easier to clean.

I also noticed on the screen that were vertical lines in the plastic running over the screen, which was very noticeable when browsing a website or anything that was white. The final thing I noticed is it decreased the sensitivity of the screen. I had to more effort in making sure my fingers touched down on the screen for it to register, I also think it caused to my capacitive buttons on the back to go all out of whack as well.

Overall I would highly suggested not buying Ghost Armor. It's extremely overpriced and I had very many problems with it. I found no other reviews for the Samsung Captivate specifically on this site (or anywhere really), so I thought I'd throw up a quick review. Sorry I took no pictures, I never really thought about it.

pontiac005

Dec 9, 2010
Thanks for the review. I have seen that at the mall but did not know how well it would work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using XDA App

zerofx

I have Ghost Armor on my screen and am using the Body Glove case. The Ghost Armor has been on there since July and has worked beautifully. I can't say anything about the protector on the rest of the phone but I can say that my screen is just as sensitive with the protector on as when it was off. And also its just about invisible. But I agree that finger oil does stick to the screen even though they advertise that it doesn't. I'm still happy with the purchase though. 15 bucks for just the screen and installation. They did a way better job than I would've done putting the thing on.

RyanFromQA

Nov 10, 2009
Florida
I just thought I'd throw in my $0.02. I agree with the OP when it comes to wrapping a whole phone in that stuff - it does a pretty poor job of adhering through curves and breaks. However, on the screen, I have to say, my wife's iPhone 4 screen protector still looks good after 8 months, and it hasn't peeled. As a screen protector, I think they do an okay job.

These armor protector products all seem to have a similar makeup. The two I've used are BestSkinsEver, and I have a Zagg screen shield on my Captivate (came with it). They seem to have a rubbery texture that attracts fingerprints pretty badly. Plus, they can feel a little sticky.

Worse, they can seem to get stuff stuck in the protector that doesn't come off easily by wiping on your shirt like a typical screen protector does.

Recently, though, I discovered that if you wet a microfiber cloth (or soft tissue) with Eyeglass lens cleaner, it really does a great job of cleaning the protector, and leaves it feeling nice and slick. I bought a 4 oz bottle of it at CVS for like $3, and it works great on my glasses and screen. I figure it's safe for the protector because it's safe for coated, delicate eyeglass lenses, and you only use a little bit on a cloth.

Last edited: