[Q] The "Reply All" function in SMS.

Search This thread

t4duzan

Jan 16, 2011
Big D
Sorry in advance if this has specifically been addressed. Doing a quick search didn't seem to cover it.

Is it possible for the experts here in XDA to write something into Android's code to allow for a Reply All feature in SMS, like in iPhone's SMS? I'm thinking the Reply All feature must be unfixable because there is conversations all over the internet for people requesting Google to fix it. Some have even stayed with Apple because they would miss that feature too much.

And why you're at it, build in emoticons. The emoticons are only available in 3rd party apps, like GoSMS Pro and Handcent, as far as I know.

gflare

Aug 2, 2010
Baltimore, MD
Sorry in advance if this has specifically been addressed. Doing a quick search didn't seem to cover it.

Is it possible for the experts here in XDA to write something into Android's code to allow for a Reply All feature in SMS, like in iPhone's SMS? I'm thinking the Reply All feature must be unfixable because there is conversations all over the internet for people requesting Google to fix it. Some have even stayed with Apple because they would miss that feature too much.

And why you're at it, build in emoticons. The emoticons are only available in 3rd party apps, like GoSMS Pro and Handcent, as far as I know.

Addressing the second question here...
Which emoticons are you referring to? You can already use all the regular emotes in an SMS. :) :cool: ;-) :p
You might want to take a look at alernative keyboards to make your emoticon chatting a little easier (swiftkey has quick buttons for emotes, for example).

biglittlegato

Jun 4, 2009
Cali
Addressing the second question here...
Which emoticons are you referring to? You can already use all the regular emotes in an SMS. :) :cool: ;-) :p
You might want to take a look at alernative keyboards to make your emoticon chatting a little easier (swiftkey has quick buttons for emotes, for example).

The stock keyboard also has them. They are on the second page of the character set. :'( :eek: :p :$ :S :) ;) :(

Sent using the power of the dark side.

G

GuestK007

This is not the place to request features. if what you are looking for is in gosms, use it. Not to come off as a d*ck but this isnt burger king, they dont have your rom your way right away.
If you were find code that would be usable for this feature, it would be a better way to present your request.

Ranting aside, i believe gosms also has the reply all feature if im not mistaken. Im not sure as i dont have an iphone to compare with. But i do use gosms as my sms replacement.

t4duzan

Jan 16, 2011
Big D
This is not the place to request features. if what you are looking for is in gosms, use it. Not to come off as a d*ck but this isnt burger king, they dont have your rom your way right away.
If you were find code that would be usable for this feature, it would be a better way to present your request.

Ranting aside, i believe gosms also has the reply all feature if im not mistaken. Im not sure as i dont have an iphone to compare with. But i do use gosms as my sms replacement.

First off, I'm not requesting anything special in a ROM. My question was that if any of the bright developers have the knowledge to incorporate some of the emoticons into stock mms. Perhaps I should have stated emoji and not emoticons. The ones I'm referring to ARE the ones you find in GoSMS and Handcent, but it would be nice to just use the stock app instead of a 3rd party app to be able to get those. The ones those replying above are referring to basic emoticons (I know, I probably was asking for the wrong things) that can be type in using symbols. I too have been using GoSms and Handcent for the past 2 1/2 years and know that the Reply All feature in GoSMS will respond to all, but send out individual messages, thus breaking the conversation.

Maybe iPhone uses a code that isn't native to Android because I know those 2 platforms steal all they can from each other as it is.

G

GuestK007

By the way, where would YOU request features? There doesn't seem to be a dedicated forum for that and you're implying there is a place if this isn't it.

I don't personally because i know well what the devs go through to get a rom out and be proud of it just to hear 'well can you do this?'. The best place would be a specific roms Q/A thread, because if you post in general then lets say optimistically 3 rom developers add the feature for you, you are only going to use one rom, thus 2 of the devs just wasted their time.Also it is far easier to just get an app that does what you want instead of bloating up android with moogly eye faces. Android after all is extremely modular and is all just a collection of apps. so asking to 'build in' is really just modifying an app so you dont have to spend 30secs to download one. like i said, if gosms does what you want, download it. because being that bloaty isnt for everyone so its easier to just leave it stock and let users download what they want to add to their phones.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=524
might also work better since you are looking for features that would not be phone specific.

Last edited:

t4duzan

Jan 16, 2011
Big D
I don't personally because i know well what the devs go through to get a rom out and be proud of it just to hear 'well can you do this?'. The best place would be a specific roms Q/A thread, because if you post in general then lets say optimistically 3 rom developers add the feature for you, you are only going to use one rom, thus 2 of the devs just wasted their time.Also it is far easier to just get an app that does what you want instead of bloating up android with moogly eye faces. Android after all is extremely modular and is all just a collection of apps. so asking to 'build in' is really just modifying an app so you dont have to spend 30secs to download one. like i said, if gosms does what you want, download it. because being that bloaty isnt for everyone so its easier to just leave it stock and let users download what they want to add to their phones.

http://xdaforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=524
might also work better since you are looking for features that would not be phone specific.

Thanks for the link. I'll post my Reply All question over there and see if I get any responses.