huawei mytouch root

Search This thread

Nightwolf769

Sep 3, 2012
Croydon
I found this after doing some research

After doing some searching, I found this method and the video shows a walkthrough and has the link to download the file. I haven't tried it yet, have to talk to my girl first before I mess with her new phone. It seems really easy. Although I didn't or haven't found any custom roms yet :crying:.....hint hint, lol I'm a noob, so I can't post the full link, so you'll have to copy and paste. Please let me know if any of you find and roms or radio or the such....

youtube.com/watch?v=hcrl1rYcL7o

illdill

Feb 7, 2011
Nampa ID
This is great, gets you rooted. I was able to install clockwork, but I have no backup options in the recovery menu which is kind of the whole point. Anyone able to back the device up yet? I tried that adb method but I get an error about accessing the device. All other adb functions appear to work normally.

adb backup -apk -all -nosystem -f c:\backup.ab

titeuf007

Sep 15, 2012
This is great, gets you rooted. I was able to install clockwork, but I have no backup options in the recovery menu which is kind of the whole point. Anyone able to back the device up yet? I tried that adb method but I get an error about accessing the device. All other adb functions appear to work normally.

adb backup -apk -all -nosystem -f c:\backup.ab

great thing:good:

racosta201045

Feb 9, 2012
Houston Texas
Helppp bricked

So...Here is the story...Had the U8730(T-Mobile MyTouch Q) Rooted...I left the phone alone for a while and
I attempted to delete the bloatware apps and I deleted something from the system file that I shouldnt have and the phone
started acting up so I pulled the battery and the phone is stuck on the android 4G. So I am bricked..
I am able to get into recovery and the pink mode...by vol up + vol down + power and that gets me into pink mode
where i am able to see the image file on my computer. Also when the phone is on and stuck on the android 4g screen
if i have the usb connected to the computer the screen on the phone shows the usb connected. Opting to turn on the usb mode
I can pull down the notification bar but not navigate much more than that...Please Please does someone have a back up of the image file
maybe in a zip version or any type of stock image rooted or unrooted...I can do something with any of those. Maybe I can mess with some of them of if some one has a method they can share with me...PM ME or email me anything...Call me text me...whatever..Please I
really need to use my phone..So if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank Yall
Happy Turkey Day

Nightwolf769

Sep 3, 2012
Croydon
That's why it's a good idea to use a program like Titanium Root and do a backup before you start to delete stuff, just in case. But if you can still get into recovery mode, I would simply try to reflash the rom from the zip file that should still be on your memory card.

Nightwolf
sent from my rooted HTC Desire Z using xda-developers app

racosta201045

Feb 9, 2012
Houston Texas
That's why it's a good idea to use a program like Titanium Root and do a backup before you start to delete stuff, just in case. But if you can still get into recovery mode, I would simply try to reflash the rom from the zip file that should still be on your memory card.

Nightwolf
sent from my rooted HTC Desire Z using xda-developers app

I looked in the memory card and couldnt find any zip file...do you have a back up you can attach..I can try and reflash that..
I only able to get into the Recovey V3 not a CWM..I am not able to toggle verifications or any of that...

Markyzz

Jan 7, 2012
California
So...Here is the story...Had the U8730(T-Mobile MyTouch Q) Rooted...I left the phone alone for a while and
I attempted to delete the bloatware apps and I deleted something from the system file that I shouldnt have and the phone
started acting up so I pulled the battery and the phone is stuck on the android 4G. So I am bricked..
I am able to get into recovery and the pink mode...by vol up + vol down + power and that gets me into pink mode
where i am able to see the image file on my computer. Also when the phone is on and stuck on the android 4g screen
if i have the usb connected to the computer the screen on the phone shows the usb connected. Opting to turn on the usb mode
I can pull down the notification bar but not navigate much more than that...Please Please does someone have a back up of the image file
maybe in a zip version or any type of stock image rooted or unrooted...I can do something with any of those. Maybe I can mess with some of them of if some one has a method they can share with me...PM ME or email me anything...Call me text me...whatever..Please I
really need to use my phone..So if anyone can help it will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thank Yall
Happy Turkey Day

Sounds like you're just missing a launcher. Do you have adb debugging enabled? If so then all you need to do is install a launcher apk via adb. Try Google searching for a holo launcher apk or something like that. Maybe you can even find a flashable zip of just the launcher.. Edit: you could also use your PC and navigate to the Goole play store website and add a launcher directly to your phone after logging in.
Sent from my phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: racosta201045

racosta201045

Feb 9, 2012
Houston Texas
Ended up swaping it out at the Tmobile store. I tried a couple different options. So what I learned was to leave the system bloatware apps alone. Well the IQ ones. All others I am gunning for

Sent from my SGH-T699 using xda premium

Nillerz

Jun 26, 2010
Anyone got root for the updated MyTouch Q? The old one doesn't work with the new updates...

magikstar

o0kay

Aug 3, 2012
image folder files

ok so here's what i've learned so far from trying every method that i can find...

when you boot the phone into the pink screen (volume up and volume down plus power) there is a partition containing 1 folder with 5 files. That folder is called image and the file inside are amss.mbn, boot.img, cust.img, emmcboot.mbn, and recovery.img

The Ascend G300 is a similar phone to the G312 and there is a filed called superrecovery which changes the recovery to set ADB with root priveliges and installs SU in system. If we use the recovery from that batch file made by PauloBrien and push it to the device while in pink screen mode and then reboot into recovery the phone won't power on. You can return to the pink screen and change back to the original recovery, but you can not boot the device into recovery nor regularly. Now this gave me an idea as i'm typing. what if i change it and issue the command in ADB as ADB works during the pink screen. I'm going to try that now.

But this can't be done when in bootloader, only in pinkscreen which makes me think it's fastboot USB mode, but fastboot commands dont work uless you are in the bootloader with the huawei logo which you can only get into by issuing the reboot-bootloader command through adb. once you enter bootloader mode via ADB reboot command then you are able to issue some fastboot commands.

ok so that didn't work...basically when the files in the imge folder are changed the device won't boot into anything but the pink screen mode.

the original recovery file size is 6340KB and the one from PauloBrien is smaller at 5074KB. I'm wondering if file size has something to do with why it won't boot, however, i'm not familiar with what's inside of these files. So...as i reasearch how to build our own clockworkmod recovery i'm wondering if there's a way to change the ADB command inside from not root to root. if it's a on off selecton i'm not sure how i'd affect file size. this is where we get into the realm of knowledge that i don't possess.

so if anybody can offer up some knowledge from where i stand now... please do so.

on a side note, when running exploits, (gingerbreak, zergrush, doomsomething, psneuter, etc)...they all hang.
in linux when trying to drop a file into /system/bin the terminal read out says something about failing to cycle power, not certain what this means.

as i learn a bit more, i'll go ahead and add more...

:confused::(HEY i was wondering if someone could upload or point me in the direction where i could find the files that belong in the -image- folder i replaced them with other files and now my phone either restarts as soonest logo comes up or if i hold -volume up and power button i get a blue screen my phone is a Huawei Unite Q U8730--any help highly appreciated much thanks in advance:crying: My wife is going to kick my ass??help

FockingHail

Dec 28, 2010
Need root on new OTA? Got it!

Fixed for me:
Some of these steps may be unnecessary, but this sequence worked for me, with a updated phone fresh from the box, under Windows 7 64 bit.
Note that NO exploit is required, just the right steps in the right order. ;)

You will need the "old" rooting file:
"Huawei MyTouch 4G Root
Created by mattlgroff
Visit me at DroidRzr.com!!!"
They want a registration to download at droidrzr.com, but the file is probably around elsewhere as well.

On the phone, go to phone app, dial *#*#2846579#*#*
Project menu->background setting
OTP NV filter switch, hit confirm.
UsbSetting->Manufacture mode, confirm.

Don't reboot yet.

In computers browser, go to here: sigmakey.com/ Sigma-Help/ Qualcomm.html scroll down till you see
Direct unlock for U8680, U8730, U8800, U8860, C8860E:
Click that and download the single file "Huawei drivers"
Extract the zip file somewhere handy.

Find and extract the previously used rooting file.

Now, reboot the phone.
When It comes back up, go to device manager (Win+r devmgmt.msc <enter>)
you should see some Android devices with yellow triangles (no driver).

For each of the four:
Go to details, change property to Hardware Ids, make a note of the number at the end of the first line in Value, right after MI_
Then go to driver, update driver, Browse, let me pick, All devices, have disk. point to where you extracted the earlier downloaded Huawei drivers, plus the folder for your OS (mine was t:\huawei\win764 for windows 7 64 bit)

Select any file in the directory, doesn't matter. use the following chart to load the correct driver for the MI_##
## Driver
00 Huawei Incorporated Android Adapter Modem
01 Huawei Incorporated Android Adapter PCUI
03 Google, Inc Adapter ADB Interface
04 Huawei Incorporated DBAdapter Reserved Interface
05 Huawei Incorporated DBConsole Reserved Interface

yes, 02 is missing, but unneeded.

Unplug your phone, count to 5 and replug.

I used the "old" rooting file and used the root.bat as a guide.
Extract the old rooting file to a directory, change to that directory, then, You'll want to do this:

adb reboot-bootloader
Wait for the bootloader to come up
fastboot boot rooted.img
Wait for it to come up, then give it an additional minute or two.
adb shell "mount -t ext4 -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system"
adb push su /system/bin/su
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb push busybox /system/xbin/
adb shell "chmod 6755 /system/bin/su"
adb shell "chmod 755 /system/xbin/busybox"
adb shell "chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk"
adb reboot

After the reboot, when it got the the "desktop", there was about a 2 minute delay where NOTHING seemed to work and i was missing all desktop icons. After about 2 minutes, everything worked.

This survives a "quick" reboot, don't know about a "full" reboot yet.
And I'm guessing the same basic process would work for a custom ROM image, but I haven't tested it yet.

Replies about working or not working would be appreciated. :laugh:

I've been working on this for the past week. Every exploit I've tried just hangs after a while. I've gotten much further manually. I've got unbuntu and been working using various manual methods. The thing I've noticed is that there is no system folder in root. There is a system partition in which app and bin folders exist. Later today I'm going to have time to try some more. If it weren't for these silly rules id reply to somebody elses post, but I guess reading in forums for 3 years as a registered user doesn't count. Never a need to post as I've always found something using a search. And now I've got a phones that's been out for a week and there's no info out on it so I guess I get to develop myself. Not a hard thing...just time consuming and I've got better things to do, but these pink apps gotta go and I need wired or wireless tehter again. Hopefully I have succcess later today and can post how I accomplished it.

FockingHail

Dec 28, 2010
8 digit ID, how to find.

Have you tried the 8 digit number you get from adb devices

Also, I have a reply that includes how I rooted the latest OTA. the post includes how to get the fastboot mode to work.
Short version: the drivers are NOT complete for updated phones, they seem to have changed the USB PID/VID/MI codes.

huawei says the product ID is an 8 digit number. I've been trying to dump the log files so i can scan them for some kind of 8 digit number. i've also tried all the different USB modes as well as a few other changes in the project menu that we're able to access. These haven't given me any success in changing the ownership of the folders needed to gain root access. i've not had any time to tear apart the recovery image to figure out what it's doing. but all in due time somebody will figure this out. still haven't been able to get fastboot to work properly either. am running through the usb modes on that now.

FockingHail

Dec 28, 2010
More fun with the U8730 / Huawei Mytouch Q

mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
Now install busybox from the play store. Then open it and install.
You may have to do this twice, using the smart install option the second time.

Use:
pm list packages -e To list enabled PackageManager apps (autoruns)
pm disable app.name.something To disable autorun

I now have 334872 free mem (after waiting for system to settle), it was less than 256000.
Oh, and you can disable CarrierIQ this way. I also wiped the apk from /system/app

/data/app seems to have new pkgs as well as updates to the existing packages in the form of pkgname-x. I'm guessing you could add a fake pkg and increment X (which is a number) to force an overwrite of (currently) undeletable packages.

Remember, if you have auto-updates on in the "Play Store", it can update and re-enable any package on the system.

Is anybody at all finding my piddling about and documenting it useful? Anybody? Bueller?
:confused:

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

FYI, those MBN files? They are ELF files...aka executable (decompilable?) unix program.

Crazygrouzin

Jan 27, 2013
thessaloniki
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system
Now install busybox from the play store. Then open it and install.
You may have to do this twice, using the smart install option the second time.

Use:
pm list packages -e To list enabled PackageManager apps (autoruns)
pm disable app.name.something To disable autorun

I now have 334872 free mem (after waiting for system to settle), it was less than 256000.
Oh, and you can disable CarrierIQ this way. I also wiped the apk from /system/app

/data/app seems to have new pkgs as well as updates to the existing packages in the form of pkgname-x. I'm guessing you could add a fake pkg and increment X (which is a number) to force an overwrite of (currently) undeletable packages.

Remember, if you have auto-updates on in the "Play Store", it can update and re-enable any package on the system.

Is anybody at all finding my piddling about and documenting it useful? Anybody? Bueller?
:confused:

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:05 AM ----------

FYI, those MBN files? They are ELF files...aka executable (decompilable?) unix program.

Did someone find the update.app firmware for u8680? I need it badly

Last edited:

magikstar

huawei10.jpg

Reactions: Crazygrouzin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    update on progress

I'll be waiting anxiously. please post updates in this thread with your progress!

ok so here's what i've learned so far from trying every method that i can find...

when you boot the phone into the pink screen (volume up and volume down plus power) there is a partition containing 1 folder with 5 files. That folder is called image and the file inside are amss.mbn, boot.img, cust.img, emmcboot.mbn, and recovery.img

The Ascend G300 is a similar phone to the G312 and there is a filed called superrecovery which changes the recovery to set ADB with root priveliges and installs SU in system. If we use the recovery from that batch file made by PauloBrien and push it to the device while in pink screen mode and then reboot into recovery the phone won't power on. You can return to the pink screen and change back to the original recovery, but you can not boot the device into recovery nor regularly. Now this gave me an idea as i'm typing. what if i change it and issue the command in ADB as ADB works during the pink screen. I'm going to try that now.

But this can't be done when in bootloader, only in pinkscreen which makes me think it's fastboot USB mode, but fastboot commands dont work uless you are in the bootloader with the huawei logo which you can only get into by issuing the reboot-bootloader command through adb. once you enter bootloader mode via ADB reboot command then you are able to issue some fastboot commands.

ok so that didn't work...basically when the files in the imge folder are changed the device won't boot into anything but the pink screen mode.

the original recovery file size is 6340KB and the one from PauloBrien is smaller at 5074KB. I'm wondering if file size has something to do with why it won't boot, however, i'm not familiar with what's inside of these files. So...as i reasearch how to build our own clockworkmod recovery i'm wondering if there's a way to change the ADB command inside from not root to root. if it's a on off selecton i'm not sure how i'd affect file size. this is where we get into the realm of knowledge that i don't possess.

so if anybody can offer up some knowledge from where i stand now... please do so.

on a side note, when running exploits, (gingerbreak, zergrush, doomsomething, psneuter, etc)...they all hang.
    in linux when trying to drop a file into /system/bin the terminal read out says something about failing to cycle power, not certain what this means.

as i learn a bit more, i'll go ahead and add more...
    Yep, it's a simple one too. Happy to have my wife's phone rooted :) Removing bloat, however, is tricky -- it's hidden in an inaccessible partition and when you erase it, it restores it on next reboot.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31237225#post31237225
    http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/4276-how-to-root-huawei-mytouch-4g/

Big thanks to mattlgroff for cracking this nut!

When you install an update to one of these apps lets use the, yahoo mail on for example, it will show in the /system/app or /data/app. The problem is the apk before the update is in /cust/t-mobile/us/app which is read only and unable to be mounted as R/W and that is why Titanium backup is unable to uninstall it.

I have tried moving it and deleting it manually with no luck. I have not tried through ADB yet but may give that a try next.
    It's been rooted!

Yep, it's a simple one too. Happy to have my wife's phone rooted :) Removing bloat, however, is tricky -- it's hidden in an inaccessible partition and when you erase it, it restores it on next reboot.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=31237225#post31237225
    http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/4276-how-to-root-huawei-mytouch-4g/

Big thanks to mattlgroff for cracking this nut!
    builder.clockworkmod.com

so i've been working on building a recovery image for this devices using koush's site and have been able to build it, but the device won't boot into recovery yet. not sure how to fix this, gonna mess around and keep on trying. i can get it to boot back up and can get it to respond to adb commands when in the mode that just shows the android 4g logo. but i can't get into recovery. not through adb and not through using the power and volume buttons.

still working on it... any body else have anything yet?
    I'm also waiting anxiously for someone to figure this out. I just got this phone and while I really like it, there is just so much packed on this thing that I want to get rid of before I can really enjoy the phone.