[TUTORIAL] Root HTC explorer

Search This thread

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
I decided to create a clean tutorial (as the method started with several bugs and issues) for those who want to root their HTC explorer.
will be editing it as new improvements appear.

btw, this will NOT change anything in your phone, it just make root access possible, if you want overclock and ext-2/3/4 partitions posible look here once you finish rooting with this tutorial.

1. Install HTC Sync on your PC

you can download it from: www.htc.com/www/help/htc-explorer/#download
(needed so computer recognises commands)

2. Unlock your phone's bootloader

- Following the steps in www.htcdev.com/bootloader

Note: HTC Explorer isn´t listed as a working device yet but it has been tested and works perfectly. Choose "all other supported models" when selecting device.

3. Add a recovery

That will allow you to install .zip ROMs. You can access to it in the menu android phones have when booting the phone after removing-inserting the battery and pressing "volume down" and "power" buttons simultaneously. (Other phones have different button combinations).

- Download View attachment 913094
- extract it in any window on your PC (ie: C:\HTC)
- run the recovery.bat with phone in fastboot mode (first option in the "3 android menu" ) and connected with usb.

Note: I edited the recovery.bat and removed any unnecessary commands so no errors occur

Done! You got the recovery installed if no errors, you can now install any compatible .zip ROM or app.

4. ROOT the device

- Place this View attachment Superuser.zip file somewhere in the microSD first.
- Go into Recovery mode ("volume down" + "power")
- install Superuser.zip with the option "install .zip from sd" from the recovery menu.

Note: after rooting dont restore to factory setting if you don´t want to end up in a bootloop, if this or similar happens you have to install a custom rom to fix it.
ROOTED !!
once rooted my advice is to install "link2sd". Excellent application after making a fat32 partition of your SD with programs like MiniTool partition wizard

It moves all applications directly to the SD when configuring it in automatic mode. (the entire application, not like the inbuilt phone option). See post # 9 for instructions.

enjoy :)

Last edited:

al_nadita

Dec 12, 2010
Thank you very much jaggy jags.

I did a test with superuser, and changing the files you said to "root explorer", but still giving error WIFI.

Definitely use the "plan B" and flashing the ROM China. Now they will wait out a new "European ROM" cooked.

Find the link in this forum for the European RUU, only I have not got the tools and skills to cook.

Sorry for my bad English, I use "go Translator"

Reactions: ri123

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia

I did a test with superuser, and changing the files you said to "root explorer", but still giving error WIFI.

Definitely use the "plan B" and flashing the ROM China. Now they will wait out a new "European ROM" cooked.

Find the link in this forum for the European RUU, only I have not got the tools and skills to cook.

Sorry about that. I should have mentioned the files permissions have to be the same. I haven't checked this by myself I cannot confirm. I edited main post to say this.

daivatam

Mar 22, 2008
Hello, I am just a beginner in android, what do u mean by the files permissions, u could explain in more detail what is the procedure for doing that ? or someone else that has this knowledge ...and write this step by step for rest of us that have little experience with setting android to be able on succeeding this. I want to get root on my explorer but I am afraid that will lose my wifi connectivity after and i am not sure that I will manage to replace that files with corresponding "matched files attributes".

Another request is if I could make a complete back-up of my original firmware/rom of my phone to have it in case that something vent wrong in process of rooting (to restore my phone on factory condition)? It is doable in any way it is any software for this? The European version will contain all languages or just base english?

thank you!

Reactions: ri123

jitin02

Mar 17, 2009
Unknown
www.safaribikes.com
Reason for WIFI error after rooting

Just jumping in for letting u guyz know the reason reason for why u get wifi error

The zip "A310e_recovery...." has a boot.img in it, which is basically a kernel and if for any android device you flash a kernel you need dhk.ko or similar file (which should be in system/lib/modules) as mention alot earlier by jaggy. (this dhk.ko is a file which acompanies kernel/boot.img to run the data connection and wifi and other stuffs)

So basically to avoid all these, simple step is:
You can open recovery.bat present in the zip with a text editor (i suggest Notepad ++, default windows notepad will mess up the files) and delete the line "fastboot flash boot boot.img". now save and exit.

So, Dont flash the boot.img as it is not giving u guys any benefit. just flash recovery.img

@Jaggy. for link2sd, which ext r u using for sdcard partition , 1 2 3 ??????

Last edited:

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia

Fat32 partition :)
No other format is supported by our rom.
I will be reuploading the recovery in a while with the .bat edited and clarifying the fat32 format.
So are you sure the recovery will be flashed just as good without the boot.img ?

Last edited:

jitin02

Mar 17, 2009
Unknown
www.safaribikes.com
I will be reuploading the recovery in a while with the .bat edited and clarifying the fat32 format.
So are you sure the recovery will be flashed just as good without the boot.img ?

to be frank i have not tryd editting and using the .bat again
but the one i am sure is the fastboot method . flashing via adb

the command is "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img"
and the folder inwhich u need to put the recovery.img is the "tools" folder in adb main folder , which on my laptop got made in c drive (the main drive)

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

I am not able to get this link2 sd thing work on my official Asian rom

jaggyjags, can u guide me on this one??

Reactions: ri123 and jaggyjags

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 PM ----------

Sure! same procedure for both asian and stock rom (and any other y suppose).

using minitool wizard

make two primary fat32 partitions (not logical) of your micro sd. plug to computer using a sd card or usb adapter (dont plug phone by usb). the main partition at the left which will be the one detected by windows and then the second one (the rest of the available space).

And thats it, select the type of partition when opening link2sd and you will need to reboot to start moving apps (the app will ask to reboot).
note that if at anytime you clean rom partition (option in recovery) you will need to format the second partition again as this option makes it a ext-3 format and it is not supported.

Once in automatic, apps will install directly to the partition but if you link them manually you need to reboot to see the changes (at least me :) )

Last edited:
A

acasanovas

Recobery.bat error

run the recovery.bat in fastboot mode (first option in the "3 android menu" ) with phone connected with usb.

(Note: I edited the recovery.bat and removed any unnecessary commands so no errors occur)

Done!, you got the recovery installed if no errors, you can now install any compatible .zip rom.

Hi,

I have a problem when I run the Bat fie....

I can see in the CMD that:

C:\Downloads\A310E Recovery\A310E Recovery>adb wait-for-device
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

And then nothing else... I have nstalle HTC sync and I unloked the bootloader sucessfully.

I don't known were I'm wrong...

Can anybody help me?

Thank u so much

jitin02

Mar 17, 2009
Unknown
www.safaribikes.com
Hi,

And then nothing else... I have nstalle HTC sync and I unloked the bootloader sucessfully.

Can anybody help me?

Thank u so much

Try this and report back:
Here i am assuming u have adb installed on ur pc/laptop
take ur device battery out and insert it back.
while long pressing volume down press power button untill u see a menu with 3 androids at the bottom.
now select fastboot option and connect via USB. now u will see fastboot usb or something like that.
now open cmd and enter the path to ur adb folder . for example in my case my folder is in my c drive and i enter
HTML:
cd\
cd android-sdk-windows\tools\

place the recovery.img in adb's tool folder.
Now enter following (this is after u navigated to the adb's tool folder)
HTML:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot

If all went right, so u have the custom recovery (clockworkmod recovery) on the device or if not please post here , we will try help u again

Reactions: qaiser78 and tm.bax

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
Hi,

Can anybody help me?

Thank u so much

download the recovery again and try. It is a simple problem. Reuploaded de recovery and deleted "adb wait for device" command line because it keeps waiting endlesly. I forgot to delete before, sorry about that. :)

try it and tell me how it goes

A

acasanovas

It works and wifi too!

@jitin02 it is simpler than that I already eliminated the adb command and should work with no issues. Recovery reuploaded!

Thaks @jitin02 and @jaggyjags it works!!!! so nice!!
now how can I install de superuser?

Where and how i have to put that :
adb push bash /system/bin
adb push profile /system/bin
adb push su /system/bin
adb push busybox /system/xbin
adb push su /system/xbin

I have the superuser folder in the same directory of adb, an then?

Can u help me again?

Thank u very much!

jaggyjags

Dec 8, 2011
Murcia
Easy, put it in the Microsd card and then open recovery in the 3 android menu (pressing -volume and power for 10 seconds after taking and placing battery). install it with the "install zip from sd" option and select your .Zip
confirm it moving up and down with volume keys

Last edited:
Reactions: sam214 and tm.bax
A

acasanovas

It works perfectly and wifi too! Thank u so much again!

Sent from my HTC Explorer A310e using XDA App

ByPixel

Dec 27, 2011
Everything worked perfectly on my Italian/Vodafone HTC explorer!

No need to create any partition on my SD card to move apps using Link2SD. Is it advisable to do so?
I moved many useless vodafone apps on SD, wanting an European custom rom ;)

Thanks so much!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I decided to create a clean tutorial (as the method started with several bugs and issues) for those who want to root their HTC explorer.
    will be editing it as new improvements appear.

btw, this will NOT change anything in your phone, it just make root access possible, if you want overclock and ext-2/3/4 partitions posible look here once you finish rooting with this tutorial.

1. Install HTC Sync on your PC

you can download it from: www.htc.com/www/help/htc-explorer/#download
    (needed so computer recognises commands)

2. Unlock your phone's bootloader

- Following the steps in www.htcdev.com/bootloader

Note: HTC Explorer isn´t listed as a working device yet but it has been tested and works perfectly. Choose "all other supported models" when selecting device.

3. Add a recovery

That will allow you to install .zip ROMs. You can access to it in the menu android phones have when booting the phone after removing-inserting the battery and pressing "volume down" and "power" buttons simultaneously. (Other phones have different button combinations).

- Download View attachment 913094
    - extract it in any window on your PC (ie: C:\HTC)
    - run the recovery.bat with phone in fastboot mode (first option in the "3 android menu" ) and connected with usb.

Note: I edited the recovery.bat and removed any unnecessary commands so no errors occur

Done! You got the recovery installed if no errors, you can now install any compatible .zip ROM or app.

4. ROOT the device

- Place this View attachment Superuser.zip file somewhere in the microSD first.
    - Go into Recovery mode ("volume down" + "power")
    - install Superuser.zip with the option "install .zip from sd" from the recovery menu.

Note: after rooting dont restore to factory setting if you don´t want to end up in a bootloop, if this or similar happens you have to install a custom rom to fix it.
    ROOTED !!
    once rooted my advice is to install "link2sd". Excellent application after making a fat32 partition of your SD with programs like MiniTool partition wizard

It moves all applications directly to the SD when configuring it in automatic mode. (the entire application, not like the inbuilt phone option). See post # 9 for instructions.

enjoy :)

Sure! same procedure for both asian and stock rom (and any other y suppose).

using minitool wizard

make two primary fat32 partitions (not logical) of your micro sd. plug to computer using a sd card or usb adapter (dont plug phone by usb). the main partition at the left which will be the one detected by windows and then the second one (the rest of the available space).

And thats it, select the type of partition when opening link2sd and you will need to reboot to start moving apps (the app will ask to reboot).
    note that if at anytime you clean rom partition (option in recovery) you will need to format the second partition again as this option makes it a ext-3 format and it is not supported.

Once in automatic, apps will install directly to the partition but if you link them manually you need to reboot to see the changes (at least me :) )

Sorry about that. I should have mentioned the files permissions have to be the same. I haven't checked this by myself I cannot confirm. I edited main post to say this.

Reason for WIFI error after rooting

Just jumping in for letting u guyz know the reason reason for why u get wifi error

The zip "A310e_recovery...." has a boot.img in it, which is basically a kernel and if for any android device you flash a kernel you need dhk.ko or similar file (which should be in system/lib/modules) as mention alot earlier by jaggy. (this dhk.ko is a file which acompanies kernel/boot.img to run the data connection and wifi and other stuffs)

So basically to avoid all these, simple step is:
    You can open recovery.bat present in the zip with a text editor (i suggest Notepad ++, default windows notepad will mess up the files) and delete the line "fastboot flash boot boot.img". now save and exit.

So, Dont flash the boot.img as it is not giving u guys any benefit. just flash recovery.img