Snapdragon 400 Cuad vs Snapdragon S4 Pro

Search This thread

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
Simple question, I purchased a Moto G GPE and its on its way but i have the curiosity about how the SOC Snapdragon 400 Cuad Core compares to something like the S4 Pro that was in the Nexus 4 which ran great. I know its a newer chip but i havent found any real evidence whether the architecture is superior or inferior to the S4 Pro since it was a flagship chip but the 400 is budget. Anyone has any insight on this? Thanks.

knizmi

Jul 17, 2013
Mladá Boleslav
Simple question, I purchased a Moto G GPE and its on its way but i have the curiosity about how the SOC Snapdragon 400 Cuad Core compares to something like the S4 Pro that was in the Nexus 4 which ran great. I know its a newer chip but i havent found any real evidence whether the architecture is superior or inferior to the S4 Pro since it was a flagship chip but the 400 is budget. Anyone has any insight on this? Thanks.

Snapdragon 400 is positioned more like S4 Plus, not Pro. As in marketing positioning.

Speaking in technical terms however, those two SoCs have a completely differnet architecture. S4 Plus always has Krait cores, while our S400 has Cortex-A7 cores, which is generally somewhat slower than Krait, partially because Krait is an Out-of-Order architecture, while Cortex-A7 is In-Order.
In terms of cores S4 Plus always had two cores (up to 1,5 GHz), while our S400 has four cores @ 1,2 GHz.

Now go figure what´s faster. I´d personally prefer two Kraits :)

Note: Qualcom had really messed up the naming in S400 series as the chips can contain either two Krait cores or four Cortex-A7 cores. Don´t get me wrong, Cortex-A7 is a great architecture , mostly because its performance/power consumption ratio, but the SoCs containg those cores should have been labeled as Snapdragon 350 or something like that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Snapdragon 400 is positioned more like S4 Plus, not Pro. As in marketing positioning.

Speaking in technical terms however, those two SoCs have a completely differnet architecture. S4 Plus always has Krait cores, while our S400 has Cortex-A7 cores, which is generally somewhat slower than Krait, partially because Krait is an Out-of-Order architecture, while Cortex-A7 is In-Order.
    In terms of cores S4 Plus always had two cores (up to 1,5 GHz), while our S400 has four cores @ 1,2 GHz.

Now go figure what´s faster. I´d personally prefer two Kraits :)

Note: Qualcom had really messed up the naming in S400 series as the chips can contain either two Krait cores or four Cortex-A7 cores. Don´t get me wrong, Cortex-A7 is a great architecture , mostly because its performance/power consumption ratio, but the SoCs containg those cores should have been labeled as Snapdragon 350 or something like that.