[Q] Please help me try to un soft brick HTC One - KK, with sense 6 [SOLVED!!!!! THX]

Search This thread

nkk71

Inactive Recognized Developer / Contributor
May 26, 2010
Beirut
THANK YOU! It is working - I did what you suggested and yes - the driver was not there - now the zip file has sideloaded!

Is the next thing to do to go to recovery and install the sideloaded zip file? NOTE that my phone is not rooted - the TWRP is asking me if I want to root the phone - using the SU thing - do I need to do anything like that first - or just go ahead and confirm to flash the file - TWRP is saying "this operation may install incompatible software which may render your device unusable..."

**My phone is an ASIAN one - from Thailand actually - so does this matter at all at this point?**

If you could just let me know....thanks so much!

Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant exactly, but TWRP asks to install SU, say No for now, (you can always install SuperSU later)

but where did this "this operation may install incompatible software which may render your device unusable..." come from??

you have an m7_u model, so "One_5.11.401.10_odexed.zip" should work fine.

Reactions: gawoz

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
Sorry, but I didn't understand what you meant exactly, but TWRP asks to install SU, say No for now, (you can always install SuperSU later)

but where did this "this operation may install incompatible software which may render your device unusable..." come from??

you have an m7_u model, so "One_5.11.401.10_odexed.zip" should work fine.

Hi - that warning comes up after I click on the zip file to install onto the phone - I think it is just like a disclaimer from TWRP....?

Anyway - I swiped to confirm to flash the zip file -and the phone went through some processes - here's what comes up:

updating partition details
full selinux support is pretent
installing /sd card/sideload zip
checking md5 file - skipping - no file found
and roid revolution - by mike - b patient this may take a while
formatting partitions
system is unmounted already
mounting parttions
cleaning process
writing data and system
creating toolbox sym links
setting permissions
flashing kernel
unmounting partitions

NEw rom flashed successfully!
PLease share your experience on XDA
Everydonation appreciated
script succeeded: result was [==================================}
updating partition details....

Successful

Home, Wipe Cache/dalvik, reboot system

*****this is promising -but when I reboot system - it shuts down - then starts up and into boot loop again***** :(

I really thought this was gonna work - not sure what might have gone wrong....?

When the boot loop starts - the initial screen is the powered by Android one - then it goes away and then the white screen - HTC logo in green - then one comes up and gets stuck on the "o" an "n" - before fully coming up - then just stuck on there -before going into a loop all over again....

Thank you anyway for your patience and help....

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
Hi - that warning comes up after I click on the zip file to install onto the phone - I think it is just like a disclaimer from TWRP....?

Anyway - I swiped to confirm to flash the zip file -and the phone went through some processes - here's what comes up:

*****this is promising -but when I reboot system - it shuts down - then starts up and into boot loop again***** :(

I really thought this was gonna work - not sure what might have gone wrong....?

When the boot loop starts - the initial screen is the powered by Android one - then it goes away and then the white screen - HTC logo in green - then one comes up and gets stuck on the "o" an "n" - before fully coming up - then just stuck on there -before going into a loop all over again....

Thank you anyway for your patience and help....

I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do, but I would reboot to recovery and Wipe / Format Data and Advanced Wipe and check everything and sideload the rom again

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
I'm not sure if it's the correct thing to do, but I would reboot to recovery and Wipe / Format Data and Advanced Wipe and check everything and sideload the rom again

OK - I just did that - and it wiped most things but failed at usb-otg

It says:

E: Unable to wipe "/usb-otg" -- unknown file system 'auto'
E: UNable to wipe "/usb-otg"
Updating partition details....

- do I need to keep the phone connected to the computer with the USB while I am performing these wiping actions - and also including the flashing activity (after I sideload the file onto the phone, I mean)

BTW - the TWRP file I have on the phone is the latest one v2.7.1.1 - this is OK, right?

Should I go as far as to REFORMAT everything? - I am still S- ON - UNLOCKED _ TAMPERED

Is there anything worth trying here....

http://www.htc1guru.com/guides/return-stock-guide/

Thanks again....

Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
OK - I just did that - and it wiped most things but failed at usb-otg

It says:

E: Unable to wipe "/usb-otg" -- unknown file system 'auto'
E: UNable to wipe "/usb-otg"
Updating partition details....

- do I need to keep the phone connected to the computer with the USB while I am performing these wiping actions - and also including the flashing activity (after I sideload the file onto the phone, I mean)

BTW - the TWRP file I have on the phone is the latest one v2.7.1.1 - this is OK, right?

Should I go as far as to REFORMAT everything? - I am still S- ON - UNLOCKED _ TAMPERED

Is there anything worth trying here....

http://www.htc1guru.com/guides/return-stock-guide/

Thanks again....

Best to use TWRP 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4 at the moment, not sure about 2.7.1.1, but most of 2.7 series had problems with 4.4+ ROMs, so better stick with something known to work.

then check here, about formatting /data: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53325218&postcount=15
then scroll up to post #11 (in the same thread) for adb push instructions

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
Best to use TWRP 2.6.3.3 or 2.6.3.4 at the moment, not sure about 2.7.1.1, but most of 2.7 series had problems with 4.4+ ROMs, so better stick with something known to work.

then check here, about formatting /data: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=53325218&postcount=15
then scroll up to post #11 (in the same thread) for adb push instructions

OK - I put version 2.6.3.3 on the phone - I managed to sideload and also flash the file - it said successful - but it also said unable to wipe/mount usb-otg

Then I rebooted and back into the bootloop again.

Is there anything in the mounting folders or wiping or anything that I could be doing? Or could this ROM file be not the right one for this phone?

Phone is NOT ROOTED, still S-ON, UNLOCKED, TAMPERED.

I also did format it. results same as above...

Last edited:

Egrier

Jun 4, 2009
Hiawatha, KS
Just from past experience with HTC phones and S-On, correct me if I'm wrong but don't you still have to flash the boot.img from the rom separately since he's S-On to avoid bootloops?

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Just from past experience with HTC phones and S-On, correct me if I'm wrong but don't you still have to flash the boot.img from the rom separately since he's S-On to avoid bootloops?

I don't think that applies to the m7, I've flashed custom ROMs before getting S-Off just fine, none of the ROM threads mention anything about having to flash boot.img separately with S-On, and even more, none of the custom kernel threads mention anything.
Since many people are still flashing with S-On, I'm pretty sure this no longer applies to newer HTCs.

Also, previously flashing radio was impossible without S-Off, on the M7 you can flash radio (any version, up and down), with no problems.

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
I don't think that applies to the m7, I've flashed custom ROMs before getting S-Off just fine, none of the ROM threads mention anything about having to flash boot.img separately with S-On, and even more, none of the custom kernel threads mention anything.
Since many people are still flashing with S-On, I'm pretty sure this no longer applies to newer HTCs.

Also, previously flashing radio was impossible without S-Off, on the M7 you can flash radio (any version, up and down), with no problems.

OK - any ideas on what I might be able to try next - or is there a way that I can just return the phone to UNLOCKED and get rid of the TAMPERED notice - so I can just take the phone back to the Thailand service centre in a few weeks when I return to Thailand and get them to fix it?

(Phone is under warranty - was bought in Thailand - I am in Australia for a few more weeks- and have been trying to get this working - Australia and Thailand HTC won't warranty if bootloader unlocked)

Cheers!

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
My phone was running fine - it WAS STOCK with all the latest kit kat OS - including sense 6 (the one that has the greenish highlights versus the blue ones for blink feed etc.)

After I restarted the phone the other morning, it just went into the boot loop - white screen, saying powered by android - and then the HTC logo - with beats audio - over and over again.

version-bootloader: 1.57.0000
version-baseband: 4T.27.3218.14
version-main: 5.12.707.104
version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
product: m7_u
modelid: PN0711000
cidnum: HTC__044

When I select IMAGE CRC on phone - it calculates - then gives:
rpm: 0x403AD75
sbl1:0xFE316EA5
sbl2:0x EBF06ECC
sbl3:0x3A410C2C
tz: 0xC73B0D94
radio:0xE9CC6D25
hboot: 0x0
boot: 0x0
recovery: 0x0
system 0x0

This is the latest GETVAR information

version-baseband: N/A

or is there a way that I can just return the phone to UNLOCKED and get rid of the TAMPERED notice - so I can just take the phone back to the Thailand service centre in a few weeks when I return to Thailand and get them to fix it?

(Phone is under warranty - was bought in Thailand - I am in Australia for a few more weeks- and have been trying to get this working - Australia and Thailand HTC won't warranty if bootloader unlocked)

I just re-read your thread, and this sounds like a hardware problem.

Your phone was completely stock and under warranty, but you unlocked bootloader with a bootlooping 100% stock untampered phone :rolleyes:

And the above information in red, doesn't sound interesting at all :(

Try reflashing your firmware again firmware_5.12.707.104_signed.zip
Since you are S-ON, you will need to relock bootloader to flash it:

fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot-bootloader
fastboot oem rebootRUU
fastboot flash zip firmware_5.12.707.104_signed.zip
<- yes, TWICE !!

then check if baseband came back.

you would then have to unlock again and reflash TWRP.

and forget about the 'usb-otg' since you don't have one attached, it's not going to wipe it.
To completely format the relevant partitions, you do the following in TWRP:
1) "Format Data", that will format /data and internal storage
2) Advanced Wipe -> /system and /cache, that will format /system and /cache
3) reboot to recovery

then you can push the ROM again and install it.

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
I just re-read your thread, and this sounds like a hardware problem.

Your phone was completely stock and under warranty, but you unlocked bootloader with a bootlooping 100% stock untampered phone :rolleyes:

And the above information in red, doesn't sound interesting at all :(

Try reflashing your firmware again firmware_5.12.707.104_signed.zip
Since you are S-ON, you will need to relock bootloader to flash it:

fastboot oem lock
fastboot oem rebootRUU
<- yes, TWICE !!

then check if baseband came back.

you would then have to unlock again and reflash TWRP.

and forget about the 'usb-otg' since you don't have one attached, it's not going to wipe it.
To completely format the relevant partitions, you do the following in TWRP:
1) "Format Data", that will format /data and internal storage
2) Advanced Wipe -> /system and /cache, that will format /system and /cache
3) reboot to recovery

then you can push the ROM again and install it.

Thank you for this. After flashing the ZIP firmware file - BASEBAND has come back - and I also have all fields filled in with values when I check the IMAGE CRC - H Boot, Boot, Recovery and System

AND NOW _ GREAT NEWS!!!!

I followed the steps you gave and then waited anxiously - until finally the phone rebooted and is now working - !!!

This is awesome and I appreciate your perseverance and help getting me through this experience!

I have a final few questions - maybe you can tell me:

- How do I try to prevent this happening again - do I just keep this back up file in TWRP?
- Is there anyway to get/flash the stock ROM - or doesn't it make any difference ( I have not explored this one yet)?
- Is there some way I can return phone to LOCKED and get rid of Tampered?
- I also tried to factory reset the phone through the settings menu - and it went back into TWRP - is there a reason for this? How do I factory reset and then restore from HTC Backup/restore?

and finally - will I receive notifications of software and other OS updates - such as sense etc - OTA?

And again, and again - thank you thank you thank you to everyone that helped get me and this great phone through this!

Last edited:

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
Thank you for this. After flashing the ZIP firmware file - BASEBAND has come back - and I also have all fields filled in with values when I check the IMAGE CRC - H Boot, Boot, Recovery and System

AND NOW _ GREAT NEWS!!!!

I followed the steps you gave and then waited anxiously - until finally the phone rebooted and is now working - !!!

This is awesome and I appreciate your perseverance and help getting me through this experience!
Great news :good: :good: :victory:

I have a final few questions - maybe you can tell me:

- How do I try to prevent this happening again - do I just keep this back up file in TWRP?
Honestly, this shouldn't have happened at all. And I recommend you keep a "cloud" backup (whatever your choice is) activated, including camera upload, just in case.

- Is there anyway to get/flash the stock ROM - or doesn't it make any difference ( I have not explored this one yet)?[/CODE]
You'll have to check if someone made a stock system ROM for 5.12.707.104, I haven't looked, so it could be out there.
Though obviously I personally prefer custom ROMs with root ;)

- Is there some way I can return phone to LOCKED and get rid of Tampered?
This is only possible with S-Off, in particular the LOCKED (not RELOCKED) part; tampered should go away (though sometimes doesn't) once you have stock ROM and stock recovery, but setting back to original LOCKED is only possible with S-Off.
You could try rumrunner and firewater, though chances of it working on your version are slim.

- I also tried to factory reset the phone through the settings menu - and it went back into TWRP - is there a reason for this? How do I factory reset and then restore from HTC Backup/restore?
Not sure (since I havent used factory reset) but I would guess it was trying to access stock recovery to do the factory reset, and since you have TWRP instead of stock recovery that's why it ended up there.
But when you wipe /data in TWRP, it deletes all your apps+data+settings, so when you boot up the phone, it would be "new", and HTC Restore should work.

and finally - will I receive notifications of software and other OS updates - such as sense etc - OTA?
Only if you are on a 100% stock ROM for your MID and CID, as mentioned above.

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
Great news :good: :good: :victory:

Honestly, this shouldn't have happened at all. And I recommend you keep a "cloud" backup (whatever your choice is) activated, including camera upload, just in case.

- Is there anyway to get/flash the stock ROM - or doesn't it make any difference ( I have not explored this one yet)?[/CODE]
You'll have to check if someone made a stock system ROM for 5.12.707.104, I haven't looked, so it could be out there.
Though obviously I personally prefer custom ROMs with root ;)

This is only possible with S-Off, in particular the LOCKED (not RELOCKED) part; tampered should go away (though sometimes doesn't) once you have stock ROM and stock recovery, but setting back to original LOCKED is only possible with S-Off.
You could try rumrunner and firewater, though chances of it working on your version are slim.

Not sure (since I havent used factory reset) but I would guess it was trying to access stock recovery to do the factory reset, and since you have TWRP instead of stock recovery that's why it ended up there.
But when you wipe /data in TWRP, it deletes all your apps+data+settings, so when you boot up the phone, it would be "new", and HTC Restore should work.

Only if you are on a 100% stock ROM for your MID and CID, as mentioned above.

OK - can I just ask how u guys get or access the software updates and all that stuff - or doesn't it matter after you customise/root the phone - Since the phone is working now - maybe I should just go all the way with this rather than bothering with stock stuff anymore...? I will search around for threads and stuff on this - but I respect any final input at this stage.

Cheers! (insert a BEER icon here...:))

nkk71

May 26, 2010
Beirut
OK - can I just ask how u guys get or access the software updates and all that stuff - or doesn't it matter after you customise/root the phone - Since the phone is working now - maybe I should just go all the way with this rather than bothering with stock stuff anymore...? I will search around for threads and stuff on this - but I respect any final input at this stage.

Cheers! (insert a BEER icon here...:))

If you look in the Development section you'll find plenty of custom ROMs (some very close to stock, others with many many tweaks, and a lot in between the two), you would need to try a few to find which one suits your needs.... everyone has different expectations, so there is no "best" ROM or similar, it's all an individual perspective.

And we update (if one wants to) by installing the latest release. Many times a "dirty-flash" works (ie installing without wiping /data, which keeps your apps+data+settings intact), and if it doesn't then we do a clean install (wiping /data), and use a Backup/Restore program to reinstall apps+data (and possibly some settings).
I personally use Titanium Backup Pro (requires root) to restore all my apps+data, and manually setup my accounts again. There are many backup programs out there, including HTC Backup/Restore which seems to do a decent job too (though i've never tried it).
You'll have to experiment/ask to find out what works best for you.

Remember to always make a nandroid backup before flashing anything new, that way you can quickly restore your phone, in case you installed something but didn't like it.

(...takes cold beer inserted above and enjoys...)

gawoz

Jun 7, 2014
If you look in the Development section you'll find plenty of custom ROMs (some very close to stock, others with many many tweaks, and a lot in between the two), you would need to try a few to find which one suits your needs.... everyone has different expectations, so there is no "best" ROM or similar, it's all an individual perspective.

And we update (if one wants to) by installing the latest release. Many times a "dirty-flash" works (ie installing without wiping /data, which keeps your apps+data+settings intact), and if it doesn't then we do a clean install (wiping /data), and use a Backup/Restore program to reinstall apps+data (and possibly some settings).
I personally use Titanium Backup Pro (requires root) to restore all my apps+data, and manually setup my accounts again. There are many backup programs out there, including HTC Backup/Restore which seems to do a decent job too (though i've never tried it).
You'll have to experiment/ask to find out what works best for you.

Remember to always make a nandroid backup before flashing anything new, that way you can quickly restore your phone, in case you installed something but didn't like it.

(...takes cold beer inserted above and enjoys...)

Ok mate - thanks for these tips - I will hunt around and let the games begin!

Respect and thanks to you and everyone that chimed in to help me out with this. It's great to have the old girl back!!! :victory:

(I was starting to think if a new LG G3 for a few minutes there.....:silly:)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the information that comes up if I type the getvar command - I just did this because I saw others asked for it on other threads, in case it helps...

version: 0.5
    version-baseband: 4T.27.3218.14

The above is all that matters
    Your already on the new Firmware and S-On ... theirs no RUU that will help you.

use these instructions I just posted in another thread

Unlock the bootloader at HTCDEV
    then from fastboot USB
    Flash recovery TWRP 2.6.3.3
    http://techerrata.com/browse/twrp2/m7

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.3.3-m7.img
    fastboot erase cache

then sideload this Rom to your phone
    http://www.androidrevolution.org/downloader/download.php?file=One_5.11.401.10_odexed.zip

TWRP / Advanced / ADB Sideload - swipe to sideload
    From PC adb / fastboot folder
    you use
    adb sideload name-of-rom.zip

make sure the rom is in the same folder as adb / fastboot
    Did you follow clsA 1st instruction - UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER FIRST.

You cant flash anything with that locked.
    You probably need to type the full path to the file, or to put the file in the same directory as the shell is running from (you can see the directory before the command prompt).
    Hi - I have put the img file (which I have renamed TWRP.img) in the platform-tools folder - the fastboot file is also in this folder - see below....

C:\Users\Grant\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\adt-bundle-windows-x
    86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools>

...and when I try to load/run it - I type the following:

C:\Users\Grant\Downloads\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20140321\adt-bundle-windows-x
    86_64-20140321\sdk\platform-tools> fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img

....then I get the error - cannot open 'TWRP.img'

:(

Looks like it is NOT in the same folder or atleast not the same name.

Can you type dir, and post a screenshot of it ?

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 PM ----------

Also, because you are On 1.57 HBOOT, chances of going back to LOCKED bootloader by S-OFF are slim to none.
    Looks like it is NOT in the same folder or atleast not the same name.

Can you type dir, and post a screenshot of it ?

indeed, "a powerful ally that dir command can be"

if I had to take a wild guess, it's probably in the same folder but with a .img.img extension, courtesy of Windows Explorer ;)