[Q] Possible Touchscreen/Multi-Touch issue?

Search This thread

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
wiki.realmofespionage.xyz
OnePlus 6
Multitouch Visible Test

With that app, 1-finger touch is alright, no issues.2 Fingers seems alright too. Adding up to 4 fingers seems to be alright and moving them around the screen.

Sometimes with 5 fingers though, they'll all show on the program, and then immediately vanish. If I keep moving my fingers across the screen, they'll pop in and out, but won't actually stay on screen and follow. But this only happens sometimes. Other times, 5-finger input works fine.

My other camera is dead at the moment and I have to run and get batteries for it tomorrow, so I can't actually upload video of what I mean. I was hoping to get some input from other people about how their multi-touch seems to be with that app. Not entirely sure if this is just a rare defect, widespread, or working as intended maybe (not entirely sure if there's anything saying how much multi-touch this screen is; figured it was 10 though)

Some things to try:
- Use 1 finger, drag it all over the screen
- Keep adding fingers 1 by one after dragging them across the screen (add finger, drag it around, add next finger, etc.)
- Don't touch the screen for about 3 seconds, then just have all 5 fingers come in-contact with the screen, and keep them in one spot (on mine most of the time, the points appear then immediately vanish)

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
Called up Google and it doesn't seem to be widespread (or at least the person didn't say it was), and I could get a replacement under warranty. I don't have the funds to put on hold currently so it'll have to wait if I do decide to do it.

Although I wonder if I really should, I mean I highly doubt I'm going to do anything requiring more then 2 fingers on the screen at any point (nor can I really think of anything), and aside from multitouch, everything else seems great. No dead pixels, back doesn't flex, screen is alright quality-wise.

Would be nice if some other people can try out multitouch though just to see if it really might be widespread or not though. The thing is though, it works fine sometimes, and other times it doesn't. Perhaps software might fix it in time, but I don't know. I thought I heard of the Nexus 7 having a similar issue, but I can't recall...

It could be as simple as compatibility issues with the app...
It seems to do the same even with the "Show touches" option enabled in Developer options (tried it on an empty homescreen).

Last edited:

woolmonkey

Dec 5, 2009
Doing the tests you described never caused anything on my tablet. But if I put my hand down on the tablet flat then put my five fingers on I get your issue. Then wait three seconds and try again and everything is fine till I put my palm back on.

Chluz

Feb 9, 2008
Might be a badly configured palm detection algorithme? Op, do you have fat fingers? Sorry if that sounds rude :)

Chluz

Feb 9, 2008
How about fruit ninja, does that work properly? It's true that if show touches doesn't work, it's not a good sign. Unless it's a system firmware bug

Niggo372

Aug 28, 2010
Berlin
Any idea if its hardware or software related? I have the same issue with my N10 and don't know if I should get a replacement or not.

darknao

Sep 20, 2009
Toulouse
Got mine today, same issue. Actually, that too bad since everything works fine, and i only got a minimal light bleed. I hope my replacement won't be worst regarding light bleed :/

psytrancer

Nov 20, 2012
Same issue on mine. Considering a replacement now with this and wakeup lag + battery issue (indicator not updating % at all!?)
Don't know if I wasn't lucky or just poor QA.

Last edited:

Niggo372

Aug 28, 2010
Berlin
I'm pretty sure it is a software thing because when the problem occurs and I tab on the multitasking button twice (so it shows the multitasking menu and switches back to the app) the touchscreen acts normal again until I put more than three fingers on screen.
But if its a software problem, shouldn't it happen to on every N10 running the same Android version?

Last edited:

TonyApuzzo

Aug 20, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6a
I have the same issue. If I slowly add one touch at a time, it usually works. But if I touch down 3+ fingers at once it gets very confused and bounces between zero and N touches. I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 (first generation) and multitouch seems to work much better on it than the Nexus10. However, I did notice that the Nexus10 is better at distinguishing 2 very close touches than the GTab. On the Nexus10 I can have my fingers as close as 1/2 inch or so before the touches merge. On the GTab it is more like 3/4".

espionage724

Feb 8, 2010
OnePlus 6
Hmm, kind of interesting to see that others are also having a similar issue.

I noticed that when I tried a custom ROM (latest Kernel sources + 4.2.1), the multitouch seemed to work, slightly better (the issue still occurs, just maybe not as much). Not too sure if it was placebo or what though.

Niggo372

Aug 28, 2010
Berlin
I called the support and will replace mine with a new one. It might be just a software issue thats solved with an update but I don't want to risk it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    having the same issue with my N10, really annoying. bought the GMD gestures app which works perfectly on my own Note 2 but doesn't work for on my own Nexus..

Ditto. I love GMD gesture control specially for a tablet but it doesnt work on my n10 due to touch screen issue.

Here's a video of the issue. Using Multitouch visual test app from the market. Everytime I go over 3 touches they all disappear. It did work the first time with 5 finger touch but that was it.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2