Multiboot Linux on Infinity tf700 v0.8.3 (project closed)

Search This thread

primicx

May 11, 2012
Hello,

a question:

i have installed the 0.7.1.

If i would install the 0.8.0 - what will happen with the old installation?

aros1975

Aug 5, 2009
Hi Guys! I have few questions:

1. Someone wrote about login/pass change via scripts. Where are this scripts included?
2. D2SD - work with this option should improve speed Ubuntu on my TF700T?
3. How can I install rotfs on my internal disk on TF700T. Now I can see onle virtual file option?
4. Will be internal disk option faster then virtual file?
5. Maybe someone want to write, whitch options should be used to get fastest Ubuntu on TF700T?

rabit, thanks for you great work!

Last edited:

BloomTwig

Oct 12, 2011
Stockholm
Hi there! I don't find that little wifi-icon in the up-right corner. What's going on with that? Also, nothing happens when I click the Cromium button...

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
Hi, I have an odd question. Will normal minecraft java version work on this Ubuntu? It should, but I didn't try it out yet.
How I run minecraft:
  • Install openjdk-7-jre
  • Install liblwjgl-java libjinput-java libopenal1
  • Download loader (maybe, official loader is ok, but I need local play without registration)
  • Run loader and download minecraft `java -cp Minecraft\ Mac\ Linux.jar net.minecraft.LauncherFrame`
  • Replace files in ~/.minecraft/bin/natives and ~/.minecraft/bin by local installed:
    • cp /usr/lib/jni/liblwjgl.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/
    • cp /usr/lib/jni/libjinput.so ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libjinput-linux.so
    • cp /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libopenal.so.1.14.0 ~/.minecraft/bin/natives/libopenal.so
    • cp /usr/share/java/lwjgl.jar /usr/share/java/lwjgl_util.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/
    • cp /usr/share/java/jinput-20100502.jar ~/.minecraft/bin/jinput.jar
  • Run launcher again

So, minecraft running, but too slow (used software GL) and without input (click buttons in main menu). TODO:
  • LWJGL supports GLES, but in different classes. If someone can wrap gles function in gl functions - maybe we could run minecraft with good speed.
  • Debug JInput.
Unfortunately - I'm not a java programmer.

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
I'm using eclipse and i think it uses a lot of memory. When i try to add any plugin or just update it the app auto closes it self probably because has no memory or some other ressource left. @rabits can you take a look to se if is there any workaround to make this work?
I'm not using eclipse and can't debug it... Maybe you can try to use openjdk-6. Also I found bugreports about "caught unhandled signal 11" in openjdk - google it.
If i would install the 0.8.0 - what will happen with the old installation?
If you backup your files before installation (home directory) - you will not lose your files.
1. Someone wrote about login/pass change via scripts. Where are this scripts included?
2. D2SD - work with this option should improve speed Ubuntu on my TF700T?
3. How can I install rotfs on my internal disk on TF700T. Now I can see onle virtual file option?
4. Will be internal disk option faster then virtual file?
5. Maybe someone want to write, whitch options should be used to get fastest Ubuntu on TF700T?
  1. passwd - for change password, adduser - to create user. This is standart linux commands, rtfm.
  2. No
  3. Please, do not do this. If you don't know about passwd and adduser - you can't. Use virtual disk + separate home
  4. No, not really

Reactions: rtfpessoa

BloomTwig

Oct 12, 2011
Stockholm
This is just so awesome! I am completely noob at Linux, though I have quite a general computer knowledge so I'me psyched about this!

However, I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the AltGr special characters. Any friendly advice?

chrlop

Feb 28, 2011
pR
Hey Guys check out the ubuntu page they are going to release a tablet version tomorow this might help the OP iron out our current version.:p

bjorncs

Feb 14, 2012
Wifi not working

Wifi is not working for me :(
The device is detected (2 devices actually), but it's not able to detect any networks. I have attached a dump of dmesg. Tried both with and without the docking.

Attachments

• dump.txt
    121.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

tupo05

Jan 3, 2009
Fes
Re: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

Thanks Rabits. You're Da Man !
Still using 0.7. Waiting for faster internet connection to download 0.8.
Keep up the good work.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using xda premium

rabits

Nov 25, 2012
St.Petersburg
Reactions: Delforo

bjorncs

Feb 14, 2012
Re: Native Ubuntu Linux on Infinity tf700

Yeah)) We waiting for release.

So... Let's poweroff, wait 5 min and start it again. Also, try to boot into android and reboot into linux.
Thanks for the tips :) I have already tried them though without success (at least 10 times).

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

BloomTwig

Oct 12, 2011
Stockholm
Wifi is not working for me :(
The device is detected (2 devices actually), but it's not able to detect any networks. I have attached a dump of dmesg. Tried both with and without the docking.

I have the same problem. It says Network enabled and Wireless enabled. But above that there is a grayed out text that says something like "wlan0 s not ready"

apkapkapk

Dec 12, 2008
Thanks for the work rabits! I'd like to ask something though; is this running on 1.8GHz? Or is it running at the "balanced" power setting? If so, will it run faster at 1.8GHz? And is there a way to program it to run at that speed?

EDIT: Also, is it possible to use a USB Stick on this? I tried using it but can't seem to access it.

Last edited:

Keshukas

Aug 22, 2010
TO : Rabits

Can You please compile TF300 kernel for yours nice ubuntu install ?

Ubuntu working on the TF300 but can't back to android without reflashing kernel :silly:

Reactions: -angel*

aros1975

Aug 5, 2009
Last edited:

tupo05

Jan 3, 2009
Fes
You can set the custom DPI in the font configuration (EDIT: I use 160).
Additionally I had to enlarge the icon sizes and the panel heights.

In KDE I also enlarged the mouse cursor & the window control buttons (minimize, maximize, close).

Dude where did you change the DPI? fonts are too small here.
Thanks in advance

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi, Guys

Currently I'm working on preparing Linux boot and rootfs image for tf700 device.
    Project is based on Nexus 7 Ubuntu installer, Linaro distribution and Hundsbuah kernel.

Release version 0.8.3

Developers thread is here

Warning!
    • You can brick your device or loose all your data. I'm not to be held responsible if you damage or brick your device. Please, be careful.
    • This manual has been prepared for the advanced users. You are an advanced user?
      • You have linux experience
      • If there is a problem - you contact support and provide all the necessary information (devices info, steps to reproduce, logs)
    • Please, change password for ubuntu user at first login. Default password is "ubuntu".

Components:
    This system consists of several components:

Installer (v0.8.3)
    - is standart Android ZIP update file with Aroma interface.
    Features:
    • Pretty simple touch interface
    • Installing and usage Linux without a keyboard or dock
    • Detailed localization of install process (rus, eng)
    • Any device to install rootfs (usb media, sdcards or internal virtual disk file)
    • You can skip rootfs preparation and install only bootimage (if dualboot has been replaced by another installation)
    • Data2sd option supported
    • Use android /data partition as /home directory for users
    • Autobackup of old virtual rootfs image file and ubuntu user
    • Select boot priority - you can select default system to boot (Basic or Linux)
    Next release features:
    • Review of initrd options scheme
    • Install additional system to directory
    • Rootfs archive finder search maxdepth 3
    • Save log into internal memory
    attachment.php

Bootimage (v0.8.3)
    - contains Linux kernel (zImage) and initial ramdisk (initramfs). It is created during installation and stored in a special LNX partition on your device.
    Features:
    • Support of many basic systems - Android (CleanROMv3.x, CleanROMv3.x+Data2SD, CM10.x) and Ubuntu-Touch
    • Any media booting - you can boot SDcard, microSD or usbdisk
    • Virtual Disk multiboot - possible to select need virtual disk (up to 9)
    • Android & Ubuntu-Touch booting - can boot android system init from media or virtual disks
    • File system checker - before mounting filesystem should be checked by fsck.
    • Hundsbuah kernel - v2.1 optimized kernel
    Next release features:
    • Support for 4.2 android (CleanROMv4.x)
    • Run additional system from directory
    attachment.php

RootFS archive
    - compressed tar archive with root file system of OS. It is unpacked during installation to a prepared ext4 filesystem (in file or media device).
    • Ubuntu 12.10 (v0.8.0)
      Archive contain prepared Ubuntu 12.10 environment with last updates, based on Unity (3d) with Cube Desktop. You can install any software (like lxdm or xfce) to improve desktop performance, but (for now) only Unity will be supported.
      Features:
      • Pad-mode - you can use your device as pad without dock
      • Keyboard remapping - Special keys is replaced to default (Esc, F1-12, Ins, Print, Break, Del, Home->Alt, Search->Meta4) by evdev keymap.
      • WiFi - You can connect to internet or lan through wifi
      • Touchpad 2 fingers scrolling - Move 2 fingers up-down to scrolling. 2 finger tap - is mouse 3rd button.
      • Touchscreen - Supports right click by touch one finger and click by second finger.
      • OpenGL ES - 3D, games (eduke32, Jagged Alliance 2) and nice browsing by Chromium
      • Audio and Video up to 1080p - Use nvgstplayer to HW decoding FullHD video
        • nvgstplayer --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Fullscreen mode
        • nvgstplayer --svs="nvxvimagesink" --sas="audioconvert ! pulsesink" -i <videofile> - Window mode
      Problems:
      • Unity has some problems with performance and ram eating - this is place for optimizations.
      • Going to suspend is freezing device
      • HDMI FullHD is not working (but HD is ok)
      • Bluetooth not working
      • Disable speaker if headphones connected
      • Totem is not support nvidia gstreamer plugins
      • No flash player - only HTML5
      • Skype and any proprietary software (we need ARM binary, not x86)
    • Ubuntu-Touch preview (v0.5.2 2013/03/25)
      Features:
      • Smooth touch interface
      • WiFi support (fixed)
      • Frontal Camera
    • Ubuntu 13.04 - development
      First release features:
      • Packages for specific tf700t and tegra3 components (tf700 ppa)
      • Wayland + Weston + libhybris optional support

Install Manual:
    For now installation is very simple)) No console operations needed!

Requirements:
    • Access to recovery & zip upgrade
    • > 3Gb free space in tf700 /sdcard folder or external storage
    Process:
    1. Get linux-install-0.8.3.zip (12 Mb), (mirror) MD5: 46e458791d232dafa7df49a7b506beca
    2. Get need rootfs:
    3. Copy linux-install-*.zip and rootfs-*.tar.lzma to your SDcard or /sdcard on your tf700
    4. Reboot to recovery mode
    5. Run linux-install-*.zip
    6. Next, next, next ))
    7. Wait, wait...
    8. Done, now you can reboot and see four penguins!
    9. If you have a problem with installation process - please, save install log and attach it to your help request message with good description.

Uninstall:
    Really? I feel so sad :p
    To complete uninstall multiboot & linux you need:
    • Reinstall your Android distributive or kernel part of it (this is replaces bootimage with multiboot)
    • Remove /data/media/linux directory with linux root file systems

Epilogue:
    Currently we have basic linux environment with graphics and internet. For now, Android is more friendly to the user on a Tablet PC, but we can tilt the balance to Ubuntu advantage.

If you have any question about usage - please, post it here.
    Sorry, guys, at the moment I do not have much time for supporting. All general ubuntu questions - please search in google (such as mounting sdcard, etc.).
    I am currently working on the problems with the complete installation by Aroma, migrate to Ubuntu Raring 13.04, problem of the font size, correcting of keyboard keymap, problem with suspend to RAM, totem HW video decoding...

Next release (0.8.0) will be released in near 2 weeks.
    Ubuntu Touch

So, I have some news:
    • I will prepare Ubuntu Touch tar-archive for my updated 0.8.1 installer & bootloader at this weekend)) This is really interesting and good experience! Ubuntu based on low-level android binaries - this is a very interesting solution, which is a clear way in the future.
    • Also I change my basic Android from CROMI to CM.
    Really appreciate you effort! Why not post this in the developers forum, where you might get some good inputs from other brainy people like yourself. :eek:
    I would like to prepare this howto (after stabilization and fixing minor bugs) for general users. But thanx for you response - brainy people do not come here?
    How does this vary from the other Ubuntu effort? Why not combine resources?
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1988170

That would be great! At the moment I'm trying to run their environment using fastboot and find differences. I already sent message to jaybob413 and we try to combine our resources.