[PORT][WIP][dev]ICS port [booting-w graphics] looking for devs

Search This thread

tarends

Aug 30, 2011
Zierikzee
Hello everybody,

I am quite new to android as i just bought this phone 3 months ago and before that i had an iphone.

I know everybody is happy with the upcoming ICS and the SDK that could be used for theme's, sounds and even more. but i know some of you are looking for a port from the SDK.

At this moment i am working on a port for the Sensation, but i have little to no knowledge on porting roms and such. so it takes a little while. but good news is i got it to boot up the service ril-daemon, and as far as i can see it will take a little bit more work till it will boot up fully.
If by any chance i can get it to work i do not promise that anything will work.
but i just wanted you guys to get a heads up on what i am doing at the moment and if anyone likes to help with development you are welcome to throw me a PM..

I will be updating this thread every once in a while when i have made progression.

A lot of work has been done. and i have made something that boots but needs a lot of work.
Whats working
-backlight screen
-buttons
-volume buttons
-boots
-hw acceleration (not tested just yet)
-screen

whats not working
-touchscreen
-all the rest.

we just got the screen working but wanted you guys to know it. we will test things out and upload later on.

Last edited:

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
I'm excited either way.atleast someone is attempting a port. Alot of the devs look at it as a waste of time, but I don't think it is, especially if its as useful as the nexus s port. I wish you good luck my friend and if your looking for anyone to test, don't hesitate to PM me.

Sent from my Sensation using XDA App

hev88

Dec 15, 2010
Glendale
Nice to see you are making some progress with that :D

Keep us posted

Sent from my Sensation using XDA Premium App

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Glad to see someone with better ability wants this too.

I myself have been trying this just flashed my first .zip file last night have not even run a log cat on it yet. So you are way further then me. I have also been doing a lot of research through the forums and plan to expand my research to other places on the web tonight to see if might come across anything. I got a lot of reading and learning to do as I am certain you know way more about what you are doing. Best of luck to you and I will PM you if I come across anything you might could find useful.

Oh yeah by the way you probably should have posted this in the development forums, that is if you do not already have a thread there. I have not visited the development forums today yet.

Best of luck to you.

unfnknblvbl

Sep 11, 2009
Adelaide
you're way ahead of me too - zips won't even flash for me (no idea why) and if I do bludgeon one into working, then logcat doesn't work :)

Reactions: Jiggs82

nory82688

Jan 8, 2011
South Jersey
Nice, three devs working on this. I'm really happy right now. You guys should just all work together on this so our device will be the second or third to actually run the port :)

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
you're way ahead of me too - zips won't even flash for me (no idea why) and if I do bludgeon one into working, then logcat doesn't work :)

I will have to go back and find the post I read it in last night but the poster named a file in the ICS system folder that they had to change to get logcat working. When I find it I will message you.

@nory82688 , Please I do not deserve to be called a dev, I am just trying to give back to the XDA community some.

Last edited:

djslyda87

Jan 21, 2011
I will have to go back and find the post I read it in last night but the poster named a file in the ICS system folder that they had to change to get logcat working. When I find it I will message you.

@nory82688 , Please I do not deserve to be called a dev, I am just trying to give back to the XDA community some.

well, you are porting ics to the sensation therefore helping the sensation to develop as a device therefore you are a dev, but i know what u mean tho :)

unfnknblvbl

Sep 11, 2009
Adelaide

haha thanks, but I've lost interest - although it may be handy to make this more publicly accessible information. I'm also not a dev by any stretch of the imagination :)

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Ok I found the post I was talking about, it was in the Nexus one port thread.

I've gotten connecting to the network working so far. SMS seems to work fine and it lists my network. I'm unable to use the data though. It just tries to connect but fails. Unfortunately system/bin/sh doesn't work so no logcat currently to see why.

EDIT: Removing /system/bin/sh and replacing it with a symlink to /system/bin/ash seems to have worked. Now I can run logcat at boot at least.

jassycliq

Jan 1, 2011
Los Angeles
cannot locate 'android_atomic_cmpxchg'...

That's the error that's preventing boot for me.
It's 3am for me so I'm done for last night (this morning) I know I don't have a perfect port such as I know my inits need work, which might add another issue once this one is figured but yeah, idk where you guys are.

tarends

Aug 30, 2011
Zierikzee
cannot locate 'android_atomic_cmpxchg'...

That's the error that's preventing boot for me.
It's 3am for me so I'm done for last night (this morning) I know I don't have a perfect port such as I know my inits need work, which might add another issue once this one is figured but yeah, idk where you guys are.

I have no time to dev this weekend but i will work on it on monday again. There is a load of work for me tto do.. i think you need to search for the file in any rom thats working and see if it is presented within the files you have.

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
I have no time to dev this weekend but i will work on it on monday again. There is a load of work for me tto do.. i think you need to search for the file in any rom thats working and see if it is presented within the files you have.

Well I am pretty much stuck for the moment ass I can not get my build to even flash right now and can not figure out why........:mad:

But tarends messaged me and it seems like he is very close to a fully booting build. So hopefully when we all hear back from him he will have something that is ready for trouble shooting to get things working which I already have a lot of info that might help get a couple of things working on a build that will boot.

jassycliq

Jan 1, 2011
Los Angeles
Well I am pretty much stuck for the moment ass I can not get my build to even flash right now and can not figure out why........:mad:

But tarends messaged me and it seems like he is very close to a fully booting build. So hopefully when we all hear back from him he will have something that is ready for trouble shooting to get things working which I already have a lot of info that might help get a couple of things working on a build that will boot.

Can you both post what you guys have so far? PM, tweet or anything? i posted mine on twitter if you guys wanna see what i have :)

T-Macgnolia

Sep 30, 2010
Shannon, Ms.
Can you both post what you guys have so far? PM, tweet or anything? i posted mine on twitter if you guys wanna see what i have :)
I suggest you PM tarends and ask him if he can give you a run down on what he has, I have not asked if he wants to discuss everything here in the forums yet. He would probably would not mind but I would rather ask first. I think I might have a lead on what to do to get my build to flash. I am not sure but I think I have to edit the build.prop cause it is looking for 4 mount points but only finds 3. Thanks to XDA senior Member malybru and XDA Recognized Developer mike1986 for helping to get me going in the right direction.
tarends, can you post the full logcat and dmsg if possible?
He has on posted in the "ICS Porting guide by Siulmagic", it is post #72.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello everybody,

I am quite new to android as i just bought this phone 3 months ago and before that i had an iphone.

I know everybody is happy with the upcoming ICS and the SDK that could be used for theme's, sounds and even more. but i know some of you are looking for a port from the SDK.

At this moment i am working on a port for the Sensation, but i have little to no knowledge on porting roms and such. so it takes a little while. but good news is i got it to boot up the service ril-daemon, and as far as i can see it will take a little bit more work till it will boot up fully.
    If by any chance i can get it to work i do not promise that anything will work.
    but i just wanted you guys to get a heads up on what i am doing at the moment and if anyone likes to help with development you are welcome to throw me a PM..

I will be updating this thread every once in a while when i have made progression.

A lot of work has been done. and i have made something that boots but needs a lot of work.
    Whats working
    -backlight screen
    -buttons
    -volume buttons
    -boots
    -hw acceleration (not tested just yet)
    -screen

whats not working
    -touchscreen
    -all the rest.

we just got the screen working but wanted you guys to know it. we will test things out and upload later on.
    Just got the display working and hopefully soon get the touch screen working aswell need more devs to work on this.
    device has got graphics working, but a load of services are failing so we still need to fix those things and hopefully get touch working soon as well.

DOWNLOAD LINK
    ICS SENSATION v0.0.3
    Just for dev only at this moment.
    Ok guys I hope this little file I have made tonight can help us figure out what if anything else needs to be changed in the init.rc file in the boot.img so we can get this thing booting on the Sensation. It took me literally all night but I got a good comparison of the init.rc file that is for ICS and the init.rc file that is for GB. Thanks to XDA Senior Member Siulmagic for the ICS init.rc file in his ICS Porting guide. I attached the file in zip format below.

hummmm.... assuming you haven't already gotten past this one, have you tried changing it to say something along the lines of

Code:
    format("ext4","system","/dev/block/mmcblk0p22");

That may have some adverse effects though. There's a partition table somewhere around the place here, but I can't remember where it is now :(

Thanks for the suggestion, I have gotten by this problem right now but not the way I wanted to. So I will try that later today, gonna get some shut eye first though, You are correct though as the line that is giving me trouble deals with the portitions on the Sensation, maybe I can find that partition table somewhere......;)
    I was trying to use the "ruu_pyramid_tmous_1.29.531.2_radio_10.42.9007.00p_10.11.9007.15_m_release_193714_signed" But sense I am basically wanting the kernal I really just need the boot.img. But if you could upload the system folder, the META-INF folder, and the boot.img from the above mentioned or another stock ROM I would be very appreciative.

i cant get the meta and system folders at this time but heres the boot.