How do you block OTA updates with root?

Search This thread

mike86325

Jun 26, 2012
Besides installing a custom rom of course.. I just rooted my girlfriend's phone after she saw a notification today for an OTA. Saw some of the verizon guys suggested freezing SDM.apk with titanium backup, but I couldn't find it in the list. Others mentioned just renaming it with the .bak extension, but once again I couldn't find it in the /system/app partition using ES file explorer. Am I missing something? Is there a better way to prevent losing root via OTAs? Thanks in advance!

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Thats all it takes? Awesome thank you!

Yes...that will stop the OTA apk from polling the update server every 24 hours...or every time the device boots...
Given the fact the ATT just sent an OTA to the active this week...which patched the geohot root exploit....I went ahead and froze the following list just to make sure I didn't wake up to any bad surprises...

(yes...they will force push an OTA without user permission)...

Att software update
Local FOTA
security policy updates
Samsung push service (unless using sammy bloat apps )
All knox crap
And wssyncmlnps (used to freeze this on older devices as it was related to FOTA stuff...

If you get updates after all of that...we're all toast...LOL....g

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes...that will stop the OTA apk from polling the update server every 24 hours...or every time the device boots...
    Given the fact the ATT just sent an OTA to the active this week...which patched the geohot root exploit....I went ahead and froze the following list just to make sure I didn't wake up to any bad surprises...

(yes...they will force push an OTA without user permission)...

Att software update
    Local FOTA
    security policy updates
    Samsung push service (unless using sammy bloat apps )
    All knox crap
    And wssyncmlnps (used to freeze this on older devices as it was related to FOTA stuff...

If you get updates after all of that...we're all toast...LOL....g
    For ATT...
    Use titanium Backup and freeze "ATT SOFTWARE UPDATE "...apk from within the application list....g