[GUIDE][ROOT][19/Nov] r14: VISIONary + one click root

Search This thread

android602

Oct 22, 2010
phx
I tried using the z4root app..and it does root my g2 but its only a temp root goes back after normal after rebooting

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using XDA App

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
I dont know but the r11 version is downloading as a .zip file and i am not been able to install it on my G2 using the astro. M i missing something ? or doing something differently ?

Any suggestion or advice ?

gilnino

Apr 29, 2010
I couldn't live without root. R13 worked just fine for temp root. Would just reboot if permaroot was selected. R13 works a lot better for me. Thanks

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
I'm trying to download visionary 11 but everytime I downloaded and try to open it..it say There is a problem parsing the package...I tried downloading it from my phone and from the pc but no luck..what I'm I doing wrong?..also I uninstalled the r10 that I had downloaded from the market..do I have to also erase the old grcript temp root files too? And restart fresh?

I am having the same issue as well. wonde if you were able to find a solution or someone here will be able to help us with a solution

vikramdhani

Apr 2, 2006
I was able to get hold of r13 and it given me an option to perm root after temp root. I followed the steps and everything seems to have worked fine and i have super user on my phone as well even after the reboot but when i am trying to install the rom manager it is telling me that my phone is not rooted ? can someone please explain me what is going on here

gilnino

Apr 29, 2010
Those of you that have r13 and need perm root.
Temp root
Install rom manager
Install clockwork rec
Try perm root
That's how I got it

drizzt16m

Oct 21, 2010
That worked great with the clockwork now I just can't get the s off

gilnino

Apr 29, 2010
I used root explorer to put wpthis-lovinglymadeforyoubymodaco.ko. in the /data/local/
Insmod /data/local/wpthis-lovinglymadeforyoubymodaco.ko
dd if=/data/local/hboot-eng.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p18
Sync
Make sure the hboot-eng.img is there. Make sure wpthis is .ko
What response do you get after the dd if......?

gilnino

Apr 29, 2010
What was the response after the dd line command? That's important. If it still doesn't work get rid of everything that requires root, including rom manager, unroot the phone again and start over. I had to dump everything and do it over twice. I know it does suck but that's what I did. Also I would wait until cyanogen officially brings his rom out before flashing anything

gilnino

Apr 29, 2010
I also did not use adb. Do it all in terminal on phone

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    visionary.r14.png

Note: This application is no longer being updated and is only recommended for use on Froyo builds.

What is VISIONary?

VISIONary (so named because it was originally an application designed for the T-Mobile G2 / HTC Vision) is an application you install on your device that allows you to Temproot or optionally Permroot your device, using the 'rageagainstthecage' exploit.

How do I use it?

It's pretty simple really. The options appear as follows:
    • Temproot on boot - use this to automatically Temproot on each boot (I suggest Temprooting manually first to confirm all is well before enabling this)
    • Run visionary.sh after root - this allows you to run a script (as root) after rooting. The script file is /data/local/visionary.sh
    • Set system r/w after root - this allows you to leave the /system partition read/write after root
    • Temproot now - root temporarily (the root wil be lost after reboot)
    • Attempt permroot now - attempt to apply a permanent root (please read the safety information below before doing this!)
    • Unroot now - this will unroot your device
    Safety information!

You use VISIONary at your own risk! Although we test it as much as possible, we are unable to guarantee that weird things won't happen.

As a rule, the 'Temproot' option of VISIONary should be completely safe. It installs an application (Superuser) in the conventional way and then sets up a 'ramdisk' for the other parts, which is wiped on boot. As such, no changes are made to the system partition of your device, hence it is considered a 'safe options'.

Permroot on the other hand is inherently more risky. Permroot does make changes to the /system partition of your device. Technically speaking the only change that is made is the installation of a small file to /system/xbin, but any system partition change comes with risks. If you try to permroot, be aware that you might get into a situation where your device will not boot. For this reason, we recommend you have a 'safety net'.

In general, the best 'safety net' for going ahead and doing a Permroot is ensuring that you have a copy of the stock ROM to reinstall should things go wrong. This should be an original update EXE or zip from your device manufacturer / provider which matches the software version currently installed on your device. Bear in mind that flashing older versions is often not possible, so if your device has been updated over-the-air, an update may not yet be available in this form. Hence, you may not be able to find a 'safety net' and attempting to Permroot would be inherently risky. For HTC devices at least, one option would be to Temproot, edit the MISC partition to revert the 'mainver' to an older version, thereby allowing you to flash an update older than the currently installed version should things go wrong. That option is currently outside the scope of this post, although I will provide details on how to accomplish this in another post.

Got your safety net? Aware of the risks? The download is below.

Download
    • r14 - (see changelog below for details) - [url="http://android.modaco.com/content/software/320350/19-nov-r14-visionary-one-click-root/]DOWNLOAD[/url]
    The download is in APK format (if it is downloaded with a 'zip' extension simply rename). Copy to your device and click to install (or run 'adb install -r com.modaco.visionaryplus.r14.apk' if you have the SDK installed).

NOTE: USB DEBUGGING MUST BE ENABLED FOR VISIONARY TO WORK!

And finally

Details on how to donate should you wish to do so are in download topic at MoDaCo.

Enjoy!

P
    I used Visionary to Root my Desire Z as well but my bootloader is a bit different:

VISION PVT ENG S-OFF
    HBOOT- 0.84.2000 (PC1012000)
    MICROP-0425
    RADIO-23.03.02.26_M
    eMMC-boot

That's fine, that's just the DZ's engineering hboot, which has a different version from the one on the G2.

What is a 'full' radio S-OFF and how does it differ from what we have with visionary? And aside from making the mistake of flashing the wrong stock ROM, is the device safe with this S-OFF and permaroot?

It's all explained very well in the Wiki - http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php...hat_is_Subsidy_Unlock_and_why_do_I_want_it.3F

With Visionary you currently have the "Label S-OFF" that the Wiki refers to. Your phone will be safer if you use gfree to get full radio S-OFF, because there are less chances of bricking if you apply the incorrect ROM, and more ways to recover from a tricky situation.
    VISIONARY can now be obtained via the Android Market (run on boot version) - this is recommended to ensure you receive future updates automatically!

P

Nice........
    out of curiosity tho, why do folks talk trash on visionary so much? they are all about rage and whatnot. is there any real advantage to using that as opposed to what I just did?

rage is a lot safer and more reliable IMHO.

Have a look around and you'll see a *lot* of people with phones that are stuck in a boot loop or on the boot-up screen of the phone, after using Visionary.

If you have a look for people having problems with rage, all you'll find is that it "didn't work", not that the phone got locked up. Usually the reason it didn't work is one of the earlier commands failed, and the user didn't spot the error message so as to be able to fix it.
    My HBOOT screens says the following

VISION PVT ENG S-OFF
    HBOOT- 0.76.2000(PC1010000)
    MICROP-0425
    RADIO-26.03.02.26_M
    eMMc-boot

ok, that's what I thought, it puts on the engineering bootloader. You don't really need that any more, but don't worry.

Now use the "gfree" procedure to get the full radio S-OFF, plus SIM unlock etc. This is a lot safer, because with that eng bootloader there are scenarios in which you can brick your phone if you flash the wrong stock ROM version.

Seems like another reason to not recommend Visionary to me.