quality headphones

Search This thread

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I have a pair of the Jaybird SB2's and I have to say they work fantastic. I can be a good 50 feet away from my E4GT before they start to stutter and the media controls work great. They have a built in mic which works great during calls. They also are great for running or any other kind of workout.

I also use Koss Porta Pro's which are the best headphones I have ever listened to and you can get them for 30 bucks on amazon. They look quite cool and everyone I've ever showed them to are amazed by the sound quality. The provide the best bass I've ever heard out of non over-the-ear headphones.

Porta Pros are awesome, awesome headphones. It's ridiculous that they offer such great sound quality for such a low price. Highly recommended.

I really feel bad for the people that waste their money on Beats and Bose when they could get better sound for a fraction of the price. I have a pair of AKG k240s that I paid $100 for that sound infinitely better than the highest end Bose and Beats sets that cost 3-4 times as much. Of course those are open-back circumaural cans but that's besides the point. There are plenty closed supra-aural cans like most Beats that are infinitely better. Heck, my B+W P5s that at $300 are even cheaper than some Beats and they blow them out of the water, not to mention the materials and build quality are second to none. You people are paying for a brand and nothing more. Quit wasting your money on crap that you think is good because everyone else has them and do a little research- if you think Beats sound good, you'd be blown away with the sound quality of some real headphones from AKG, Audio Technica, Grado, Beyerdynamic, Shure, etc...

Last edited:

ravizzle

Dec 16, 2009
Sacramento
I really love grado headphones. They are good for the price. Only flaw is they have a pass through design so everyone around you can hear when the volume is up.

I also got some beats studios for really cheap so i rock those at school since they have closed ear design so i don't disturb ppl in the library, plus they look pretty awesome. I wouldn't pay full price for beats, but if u can get em cheap the folding design and awesome looks make em worth it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
I really love grado headphones. They are good for the price. Only flaw is they have a pass through design so everyone around you can hear when the volume is up.

I also got some beats studios for really cheap so i rock those at school since they have closed ear design so i don't disturb ppl in the library, plus they look pretty awesome. I wouldn't pay full price for beats, but if u can get em cheap the folding design and awesome looks make em worth it.

Sent from my Galaxy S2

That "pass through" design is far from a flaw. Open back headphones are designed for at home use, and allow the cans to have a far more expansive soundstage than closed back designs. I'm sure you've noticed that the Grados sound more like hearing the music live compared to the Beats which would give a much narrower, in your head type of sound.

darktranquility18

Oct 8, 2010
Bangalore, India
Studying music tech in college, I've gotten a chance to test out many headphones and no matter what I always come back to my Audio-Technica ATH-M50. They are closed back headphones. Completely destroy beats studios at half the price. My honest opinion is that it is a one time purchase that you will not be disappointed with. There have been nothing but good reviews for these cans.

kawaski47

Feb 17, 2010
I'm perfectly happy with my 15 dollar skullcandies. They have been through the wash and still work great. I don't listen to music much so they suit my needs

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
Earbuds to avoid

I was looking through the posts to see if i could find something worth while. I am a person who buys loads of headphones to see what will give me the best sound. I have had Skullcandy earbuds excellent bass with not so hot mids and highs sometimes it sounds muddy with no complaints from me. I have had ibeats with great mids and highs and even bass and the iBeats died on me in under a year of use. I recently bought a set of Monster Ncredible N-nergy...........what a huge mistake, these things are freaking awful! Super high, highs and no bass. I did the suggested and played them for 12 hours on medium volume(headfi forums gave this info) and they don't sound a bit better at all. I would suggest avoiding these at all cost.

I will be trying Klipsh s4a's and MEelectronics mp somethings.

kc_exactly

Oct 21, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Just a piece of advice. Don't but the Klipsch Android headphones. Their app doesn't work with our phone so you headset controls won't work as advertised. Plus, i bought a set and the speaker was blown on one side. Google that and your will see others with similar complaints.

Sent from Team KC's founding member HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
Klipsch

I bought the Klipsch ear buds and so far so good, The sound is balanced and tight. I am still looking to get a set of Shure SE215 ear buds just can seem to find an actual brick and mortar store to buy them at in the event I don't like them.

kc_exactly

Oct 21, 2010
Kansas City, MO
Well, I just got an awesome deal on some earbuds. Target is changing out there headphones and had some on clearance. I did have time to research any so I bought 2(had to take my son to a bday party).

Anyways, they had Skullcandy "The Fix" marked down to 35 bucks. They had Skullcandy "50/50" marked at 12 dollars. That is crazy cheap for both.

You might check the Target near you.

Sent from Team KC's founding member HTC Evo 4G LTE.

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
I am going to go look to see if the target near me has those ear buds and stock up. My kids are ear bud killers and skull candy has a lifetime warranty. I have many sets I haven't sent in yet. Also, the Klipsch S4a buds are stupendous! I'll never use another monster ear bud. I still would love to track down a pair of Shure buds though. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA

Swyzzlestickz

Jul 13, 2009
Chicago, IL
All their IEMs have detachable cables now, pretty awesome I think. And you gotta watch out, they are sound isolating, not canceling. There is no active noise cancellation circuit to crap out the sound, yet are far better at blocking outside noise than any active set.

I have the E5C (dual driver) and the SE530 (triple driver) IEMs, but have tested pretty much all of them. Even their current cheapest one, the SE215, kicks all types of ass at only $100.

On a semi side note, I just got the Bowers + Wilkins P5s for my birthday and they're amazing cans for their purpose. The memory foam and sheep's leather ear pads feel like a big breasted woman's booby pressed up against your ear. Very definition of luxury.

Where did you find them? How awesome are the 215? I have been trying to find a store that stocks them so in the event I like my Klispch more I can walk back in and return them instead of paying shipping to do it.

_MetalHead_

Jun 30, 2010
Portland
Where did you find them? How awesome are the 215? I have been trying to find a store that stocks them so in the event I like my Klispch more I can walk back in and return them instead of paying shipping to do it.

The 215s are a great set of buds, especially for only $100. If you can spring for the 315s, I would go that route but if you can only afford $100, you can't go wrong with the 215s. I have heard the Klipsch S4 and they just can't compare to the 215s. Shure basically created the market for IEMs and still make some of the best out there, and they only keep getting better. I am a huge fan, my next pair of IEMs will certainly be Shures. The only brick and mortar store that I can think of that would carry them would be Guitar Center. I know Best Buy used to carry some Shures but I'm not sure if they do anymore.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought the jaybird freedoms from bestbuy for 100$. There bluetooth and fit comftorable in your ear. They have a lifetime sweat warranty. I had a pair of bose and beats headphones and these jaybirds are just as good

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA
    so i bit the bullet and got the s4i's... yes the i... i didnt need the vol controls, just answer/end, and the s4a's were getting reviews of echo with the mic. Main reason was they were 59.99 from my work and cost (which i can only buy at one day a month) was $54. The s4a was $25 more... meh.

Verdict: I am in no way an audiophile, but man, these things may turn me into one! There are some effects in songs that i never new existed! Bass sounds bold and solid, while mids and highs sound VERY clear. Complete 180 from what i'm used to with the samsung ehs60's (which i've found out are the oem in-box buds with the galaxy tab 10.1 :( )... and the mic works great!

I will be holding on to these until they crumble... and then, i'll definitely be looking into a High-End set!

Seriously, wow, its amazing what $60 can do to music! I haven't even dropped mp3's onto my phone, all this improvement is COMPLETELY noticeable even using Pandora!

Anyone have any recommendations for HD Streaming? Not sure if Spotify is HD, but I don't like that you have to use facebook to signup... boo.

just make a random account if you want on facebook. well thats what i did for my father. then in the spotify pc application, you can disconnect from facebook.

as for hd streaming, the beta spotify 'preview' has an option for Normal, High, and Extreme. its a great app but you can only stream on mobile if you subscribe. :( the windows app does allow all music tho. with ads. ive had spotify for a couple months. still not sure its quite worth 10 month, but i still like it. wish it was more like 3 a month.

im happy with the s4i's for now but _metalhead_ has me drooling for some of his recommendations. im curious now! soon i will hear like you hear.. saving up and thanks for throwing those out there.

EDIT: as far as Jays app on ics ... i havent left gb because of that and a couple other little tweaks. i use my phone more as my all around music player more than anything because i always have it.

EDIT2: Audiogalaxy is my favorite. it streams all 50,000 of my tracks on my pc at home to the phone. flawlessly. i dont even get skips on 3g. no lie. and i use it for hours. free too
    I had a pair of Shure SE115m. They are comfortable with great sound and bass and they lasted me for 2 years. The most durable noise cancelling ear phones ever.

I love their modular cable design (THEY GOT RID OF IT! =[) . The original cable crapped out but I bought another 3.5mm cable to replace it and its still going strong. Worth the investment imo.

All their IEMs have detachable cables now, pretty awesome I think. And you gotta watch out, they are sound isolating, not canceling. There is no active noise cancellation circuit to crap out the sound, yet are far better at blocking outside noise than any active set.

I have the E5C (dual driver) and the SE530 (triple driver) IEMs, but have tested pretty much all of them. Even their current cheapest one, the SE215, kicks all types of ass at only $100.

On a semi side note, I just got the Bowers + Wilkins P5s for my birthday and they're amazing cans for their purpose. The memory foam and sheep's leather ear pads feel like a big breasted woman's booby pressed up against your ear. Very definition of luxury.
    I have been researching these headphone and the only thing that worried me is the bluetooth strength. I have read some reviews say that it drops out quite a bit if you don't wear an arm band on your right arm because the right ear bud has the receiver in it. I would want to leave it in my pocket while I'm using it. So if you could would you tell me how your using it and what kind of range it actually has while pairing with the phone.

http://www.jaybirdgear.com/jf3/bluetooth-headphones-specs.html
    if youre budget allows check out the Klipsch s4 or s4a (same thing but with android controls). best buds you can get for under $200. can be had online for around $60

i have bought/used MANY headphones and as far as earbuds go... i have not experienced anything with such clear highs and mids and amazing bass as with the klipsch s4i's. yea, s4I. its the iphone version but i got the headset controls to work on my android phone with jays headset app and the headset Fix. out of the 10 or so pairs of earbuds, the Klipsch are not the most expensive but the best sounding. i have yet to try the Logitechs so thanks for this post.

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

If I have to spend more than 50 for headphone, I'll go with wireless bluetooth stereo headphone.

i spent 40 bucks on the sony mw600 bt headset THAT ALLOWS YOU TO USE ANY PAIR OF HEADPHONES YOU LIKE :D . i can use all the headphones i own and make them all bluetooth. and this thing comes with audio play/skip controls, volume, and an fm radio to boot. can't believe how cool this product is.

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 PM ----------

so i bought some headphones from walmart the other day. they were behind glass so i figured id give em a shot.

they are logitech ultimate ears 350... for 50 bucks u cant go wrong

they sound better than my beats audio headphones at 1/4 the cost. if you like your sound check em out.

quick question.. are the cables flat? i can't tell from the screenshots