Wifi Tether

Search This thread

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
Okay before anyone jumps me, I have searching for weeks on this. I tried various provision files and all have gave me the force close in settings. I tried that Trev E mod wifi tether app also. I can not get this thing to tether now. It worked fine when I was on ATT with a family plan, now I am using a NET10 plan. Phone is running 4.3. Is there no tethering hack anymore?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Bajanman

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 17, 2009
Los Angeles Ca.
I'm using Skynote AIR and tethering is working for me no problem:p.
Not sure what Rom you on, or if your completely stock??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

dicksteele

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 4, 2010
California
If you are on stock I have something that will work. I'll try and have something that can be CWM flashed tonight.

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
I can't get the permissions to change. I will try to flash it but I have twrp recovery right now. How would I go about flashing it with cwm? If I put the zip on my sd card and go into cwm recovery, just select install from zip file option?

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
I can't get the permissions to change. I will try to flash it but I have twrp recovery right now. How would I go about flashing it with cwm? If I put the zip on my sd card and go into cwm recovery, just select install from zip file option?

I'm running TWRP also. You're good to go

Sent from my GT-N7105 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 06:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 AM ----------

I'm running TWRP also. You're good to go

I'll change post to say custom recovery

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
Okay thanks.. I haven't messed with twrp at all really, its new since the last time I have had to do any rom changes which has been awhile haha. I just put it on my note 2 last week when I flashed the stock 4.3 rom. Im gonna install and let ya know how it works.

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
Okay thanks.. I haven't messed with twrp at all really, its new since the last time I have had to do any rom changes which has been awhile haha. I just put it on my note 2 last week when I flashed the stock 4.3 rom. Im gonna install and let ya know how it works.

should work fine flash Just like a Rom

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
Alright, I flashed it with TWRP and it was successful. I booted up my phone and got a message saying that teatherprovision tried to access a secured area and wad blocked. My phone the tried to update the security policy. I then tried to turn tethering on get an error saying unfortunately tether provision has stopped. The phone then said gave me the same nessage about being blocked from accessing a secure area without authorization. So it did not work. Do you happen to have the stock tetheringprovision file or any other ideas? Maybe the permissions arent right but I'm at work and not sure of the commands off the top of my head if I can even change them on the phone.

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
Here is what I'm getting...

Attachments

• 1394309353618.jpg
    1394309353618.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 72

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
Here is what I'm getting...

Are you rooted ?? Sorry I didn't ask first. And do you want to be? If you run the latest version it will turn off Knox.

You are definitely running 4.3 because Knox came up and said whatta doing dude?

Have you ever done anything to your phone?

Did you rename the original or just replace?

If so, I'm working on posting the oriignals

Permission should be rw r r or chmod 644

Cheat sheet
http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

EDIT:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23329332407577135

Original files for Tethering.

Last edited:

dicksteele

Sep 4, 2010
California
Here's a shot of my software..

If you go to the web site on your first screen shot
www.samsung.com/us/secureandroid

That reeks of Knox.

And security policy messages/warnings are Knox related.

Go to Settings, find About Phone.

Near the bottom of About Phone ..... What does SELinux status say? Or is there one?

The ROM you are on is the first one I ever tested the file on.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I think I got it. So you are rooted. Go to apps, open SuperSU. it should prompt you to update. After it does it should ask you to disable Knox.

Last edited:

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
Ok I went into SuperSU and it asked me to disable knox like you said. After doing that and rebooting, it still says Enforcing under SE for Android. I don't understand the disable know prompt though. I was under the impression that there was no way to disable know so thats why I had to flash the hacked mj4 bootloader. Can you clear this up for me? I am going to try to flash the tetherprovisions again since I am still the error when trying to turn the hotspot on.

greg_gorrell

Jan 6, 2009
Lewis Run
No luck.. I'd say your file doesn't work haha. But do you happen to have a copy of the stock provisions?