Huge screen issue with i9505

Search This thread

bsch3r

Apr 27, 2013
I bought an i9505 today. I noticed very bad scrolling artifacts especially on a black background. This can be best seen when scrolling up and down in a menue in the preferences. The white letters on black background smear alot. This effect gets worse when turning brightness down. The responsiveness of the s4 display seem quite bad. The s3, which i also own does a whole lot better in this regard.
Can other S4 owners confirm this problem? Has the octa the same problem? Main reason i bought this phone was the oled display. I am quite dissapointed.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

fade2green514

Mar 21, 2011
something is definitely wrong with it. exchange it immediately in case something is wrong with the second one.

bsch3r

Apr 27, 2013
So if I am not the only one experiencing this it seems to be an inherent problem of the new amoled. In theory amoled has a very fast response time. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the s4 displays true black i.e. the screen is absolutely black in black areas of the screen. The s3 does not turn the pixels completely off, it has blacker blacks than lcd but no absolute blacks like the s4. I am sure Samsung did this for a reason in th s3, maybe to avoid the problem we are experiencing with the s4. I wonder why none of the reviews reports about this issue.

jlegrange

Apr 10, 2012
Southampton
Mine doesn't smear when scrolling unless you mean if you scroll fast it looks smeared? I put that down to scrolling quicker than my eyes can focus :D if yours is smearing when moving slowly then I'd swap it!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium HD app

bsch3r

Apr 27, 2013
The effect can be best seen on black background with brightness set to low. For example when scrolling in preferences watch the horizontal grey sepparation lines. When scrolling slowly the almost dissapear on my phone. So maybe one should not call it smearing but there clearly visible moving arifacts on my phone.

JmJ17

Dec 16, 2005
Jaen
I have the same problem. It is annoying in black backgrounds whith grey letters.

suadion

Feb 18, 2012
My issue: the red subpixels stay on, this is the SGS4 and SGS2 viewing the same 100% black image.

The effect is a bit more dramatic on these pics than real life, to get a proper exposure. The red pixels are only at low intensity, but it's still easily noticeable.

Xander123

Jun 4, 2007
Poland, Sosnowiec
Hi.
I had the same problem with I9505OXAAMDE firmware. I update firmware to I9505OXAAMDM and subpixels are ok. Now my screen is black, but now i have smearing in setup menu and contact.
I hope that in the future fix this problem.

regards

suadion

Feb 18, 2012
Hi.
I had the same problem with I9505OXAAMDE firmware. I update firmware to I9505OXAAMDM and subpixels are ok. Now my screen is black, but now i have smearing in setup menu and contact.
I hope that in the future fix this problem.

regards

Interesting. You did not have the 'smearing' before? Because I do see some of that also. On i9505-XXUAMDF.

sadekmefti

Dec 6, 2012
Cherchell
I bought an i9505 today. I noticed very bad scrolling artifacts especially on a black background. This can be best seen when scrolling up and down in a menue in the preferences. The white letters on black background smear alot. This effect gets worse when turning brightness down. The responsiveness of the s4 display seem quite bad. The s3, which i also own does a whole lot better in this regard.
Can other S4 owners confirm this problem? Has the octa the same problem? Main reason i bought this phone was the oled display. I am quite dissapointed.

Here is a temporary fix ;)

Last edited: