Restore stock recovery / unroot without restore

Search This thread

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Good Evening,

AT&T LG G2 rooted, TWRP. Have installed a few different roms but mostly used PA. All of a sudden the phone started experiencing issues with cell Data. So I did a clean install of PA and then had issues with BT, did another clean install and had issues with Wifi.

So I decided ok maybe its time to go back to stock. Hook it up to a win7 computer... Device manager doesn't see it at all (doesn't show up AT ALL). Says charging and that is it, does not recognize that it is hooked up to a computer. Have tried several different computers now and several different USB cables. The only way I could try other roms was downloading via wifi. Tried a stock rom and still experiencing issues.

I think there is something wrong with the phone so I want to get it warrantied, but without hooking it up to a computer I can not figure out any way to remove the custom recovery or revert it to stock.No matter what I do no computer will even recognize the phone is connected, let alone trying to install drivers. Device manager just straight up does not see it.

Any help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated. Any way to remove recovery/root without a PC connection?

UPDATE: Here was my solution

Took some work but I figured out a way to do it in case anyone else ever runs in to this:

(make sure you are stock rom or on a stock rooted rom before proceeding)

First download the stock recovery.img on the device.

http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime...10B_Partitions

Then download/open Terminal Emulator and type:
su
Then
cd /sdcard/downloads
Then
dd if=/sdcard/downloads/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

That replaces TWRP/CWM with the stock recovery.

Then open supersu, go to settings, towards the bottom is full unroot.

Yay no more custom recovery or root on stock rom.

Last edited:

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
If you are planning on getting warranty you need to use download mode and the back to stock guide also that is the best way to flash to stock and get rid of problems

Sent from LG-G2 D800 on AEONFLEX 4.4.2

Agreed, problem is the computer will not see the phone, so I can't use the program to flash it back to stock.

It's not just a driver or com issue, the computer does not see it AT ALL. Device manager doesn't see a new device when I plug it in (in OS, in Download mode, nothing).

XxZombiePikachu

Jul 25, 2013
Florida
Agreed, problem is the computer will not see the phone, so I can't use the program to flash it back to stock.

It's not just a driver or com issue, the computer does not see it AT ALL. Device manager doesn't see a new device when I plug it in (in OS, in Download mode, nothing).

Have you tried different usb ports also very important are you using original cable that came with the phone in my case if I try many of the different cables I have, only the stock one works for download mode

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Have you tried different usb ports also very important are you using original cable that came with the phone in my case if I try many of the different cables I have, only the stock one works for download mode

Different usb ports, different computers, different cables (stock one included). No luck. Phone says download mode then goes to "firmware update" and says at the bottom B53 then "ROOTED" in red letters. Nothing appears in device manager.

In android regarless of rom if I plug it in it doesn't act like I plugged it in to a computer, just charging. Again nothing in device manager regardless of USB debugging or not.

currently have twrp 2.6.3.3, running D80210b 4.2.2, with baseband M8974A-AAAANAZM-1.0.190034

Last edited:

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
What I really need to know is if there is any way to restore stock recovery and remove root without using that method (ie using Terminal Commands or flashing a package, since I can download via wifi).

I am pretty sure this phone has a messed up USB port, but I don't really want to send it in with it rooted/twrp on it :(.

paulthuong

May 7, 2014
Philadelphia
What I really need to know is if there is any way to restore stock recovery and remove root without using that method (ie using Terminal Commands or flashing a package, since I can download via wifi).

I am pretty sure this phone has a messed up USB port, but I don't really want to send it in with it rooted/twrp on it :(.

Did you try restore & reset functionality on the phone? I had somewhat similar issue with the plug & pop feature (although my laptop recognized the phone under Devices & Printer but it didn't show it as a separate drive) when I flashed CM11 but then I did a full factory reset, everything goes back to normal. Also you might try uninstall LG driver and reinstall it. Hope this help.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Did you try restore & reset functionality on the phone? I had somewhat similar issue with the plug & pop feature (although my laptop recognized the phone under Devices & Printer but it didn't show it as a separate drive) when I flashed CM11 but then I did a full factory reset, everything goes back to normal. Also you might try uninstall LG driver and reinstall it. Hope this help.

Unfortunately it is not a driver issue, it doesn't show up in device manager at all, on several machines.

I have tried multiple different roms, factory rests, even tried ADB sideloading, no luck.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA
Took some work but I figured out a way to do it in case anyone else ever runs in to this:

http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G2/VS980/Stock_Firmware/10B_Partitions

su
Then
cd /sdcard/downloads
Then
dd if=/sdcard/downloads/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Yay no more custom recovery or root on stock rom. (this was after flashing a rooted stock rom by downloading it on the device itself since I had no USB).

Reactions: petran_7

petran_7

Jun 11, 2009
Athens

http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime/LG/LG_G2/VS980/Stock_Firmware/10B_Partitions

su
Then
cd /sdcard/downloads
Then

Yay no more custom recovery or root on stock rom. (this was after flashing a rooted stock rom by downloading it on the device itself since I had no USB).

So did this worked for you? And what about your warranty?

I have an issue with the vibration and I am thinking of going to stock and send my G2 to LG.

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA

I have an issue with the vibration and I am thinking of going to stock and send my G2 to LG.

It worked perfectly and I got the phone exchanged without any hassle, but if your USB is working there are plenty of better ways to return to stock. This was an option I had to use because of USB not functioning. I mean this would allow you to unroot without wiping/restoring but if your going to send the phone in anyway you might as well wipe it as well.

petran_7

Jun 11, 2009
Athens
It worked perfectly and I got the phone exchanged without any hassle, but if your USB is working there are plenty of better ways to return to stock. This was an option I had to use because of USB not functioning. I mean this would allow you to unroot without wiping/restoring but if your going to send the phone in anyway you might as well wipe it as well.

I understand and thank you for the reply.

I am a bit afraid of the other methods I saw and this one seems easier :p

I have a question if you can answer to me.
I restored the official rom from TWRP and did all the process you wrote. Is there any way to check if now I have the stock recovery?
And to see if I am now ready to send my phone to LG?

P.S. "I will hit the thanks button tomorrow because I have reached the limit of 8 thanks per day :p "

Last edited:

crawlgsx

Jun 21, 2007
Maine, USA

I restored the official rom from TWRP and did all the process you wrote. Is there any way to check if now I have the stock recovery?

P.S. "I will hit the thanks button tomorrow because I have reached the limit of 8 thanks per day :p "

Just reboot to recovery, you should get the stock LG recovery instead of TWRP. :) If you unrooted as well, you are good go. Glad I could help! No worries on the thanks :).

petran_7

Jun 11, 2009
Athens
Just reboot to recovery, you should get the stock LG recovery instead of TWRP. :) If you unrooted as well, you are good go. Glad I could help! No worries on the thanks :).

When I am going to recovery, appears the Factory hard reset option.

I did it and it shows up again when I am trying to boot to recovery.

Again thank you for your replies and the time you spend. :highfive:

petran_7

Jun 11, 2009
Athens
So I have to congratulate and thank once more this man @crawlgsx for this great thread.

It worked on my D802 (international model) and got it repaired by the official service center of LG in Greece.

Great work, with no need of PC and difficult processes.

Last edited:

thestrangebrew

Jul 14, 2012
Noob question, but will this allow users to take OTA updates? Running stock rooted right now and really don't want revert to stock to get latest ota, but this seems pretty seamless. Thanks.

petran_7

Jun 11, 2009
Athens
Noob question, but will this allow users to take OTA updates? Running stock rooted right now and really don't want revert to stock to get latest ota, but this seems pretty seamless. Thanks.

I believe that in order to take OTAs you must be on stock rom and stock recovery. Be rooted will not be a problem if you have these stock but when OTA installed you will lose root access.

If I am wrong, correct me someone.

Tech33

Dec 15, 2012
New Delhi
Hi
Sorry to bump this thread but I need to unroot my AT&T G2 800 so get the warranty.. I had taken the stock backup using twrp.
Can I restore the restore it using twrp ? and do i need to install Terminal emulator on my restored stock rom and then do the commands ?
Are there any chances of bricking the phone ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Good Evening,

AT&T LG G2 rooted, TWRP. Have installed a few different roms but mostly used PA. All of a sudden the phone started experiencing issues with cell Data. So I did a clean install of PA and then had issues with BT, did another clean install and had issues with Wifi.

So I decided ok maybe its time to go back to stock. Hook it up to a win7 computer... Device manager doesn't see it at all (doesn't show up AT ALL). Says charging and that is it, does not recognize that it is hooked up to a computer. Have tried several different computers now and several different USB cables. The only way I could try other roms was downloading via wifi. Tried a stock rom and still experiencing issues.

I think there is something wrong with the phone so I want to get it warrantied, but without hooking it up to a computer I can not figure out any way to remove the custom recovery or revert it to stock.No matter what I do no computer will even recognize the phone is connected, let alone trying to install drivers. Device manager just straight up does not see it.

Any help or suggestions is GREATLY appreciated. Any way to remove recovery/root without a PC connection?

UPDATE: Here was my solution

(make sure you are stock rom or on a stock rooted rom before proceeding)

http://downloads.codefi.re/autoprime...10B_Partitions

su
    Then
    cd /sdcard/downloads
    Then

Yay no more custom recovery or root on stock rom.

su
    Then
    cd /sdcard/downloads
    Then

When I am going to recovery, appears the Factory hard reset option.

I did it and it shows up again when I am trying to boot to recovery.

Again thank you for your replies and the time you spend. :highfive:

Awesome sounds like you got it. :good: