[Q] GT-P1000 Custom ROM for Rooted Device

Search This thread

myst_pretender

May 26, 2014
Malacca
Hello everyone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab which I bought few years ago when it was first release (probably 2010). In the past, this device doing so well even after I root it 2 months after I purchase this device. But recently (starting 2014), it starting to hang or crashed a lot whenever i play a games. I mean high graphic games (if my term correct :laugh:) like Sims Freeplay etc which always make it crashed. I've never experience crashing thing if I play average games like cards etc. Apart from that, my battery drained way too fast for certain games. For your information, I'm a very hardcore gamer. Since I'm doing my work at home, most of time I spend it on games (probably like 16-18 hours or more per day while doing work or else). Because of this very reason, I've been thinking to upgrade it to latest android version so I can play latest games on Google Store. So I've been reading about custom ROM and decided to make it. My problem is my device is already rooted and I dont remember anything about it either which root tutorial I followed before or what apps that I used to root it. Only thing I remember is that Root Developer said that I need to use this same root apps to unroot my device. So now what can I do to get this custom ROM work? Do I need to unroot > stocked ROM > root again > custom ROM? Or I just straight doing this custom rom? And what is best stable custom ROM available for my device?

Here is my spec :-

Model : Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 (Phone/WiFi/3G)
Firmware : 2.3.3
Baseband : P1000DXJPE
Kernel : 2.6.35.7 root@DELL126#2
Build : GINGERBREAD.DXJPI
Overclocking : Never did.

P/S : Sorry for my bad english.

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
So your device is rooted.
Does it has custom recovery or stock recovery.
To find out, power down your tab,

then hold the volume-up button, and hold down the power button, until you see the Samsung logo.
Let go of the power button, but keep holding the volume up button.

Then read what it says.
It it says Recovery 3(e) then you have a stock recovery.
If it is custom, likely CWM (clockworkmod) recovery.
What vesion of CWM.

If, by some chance, you didn't put a custom recovery, then just use Overcome method.
The link is in my signature.
You are already on GB. Root or not doesn't matter.
Installing custom ROM doesn't need root anyway.

myst_pretender

May 26, 2014
Malacca

then hold the volume-up button, and hold down the power button, until you see the Samsung logo.

Then read what it says.
What vesion of CWM.

If, by some chance, you didn't put a custom recovery, then just use Overcome method.

Hello priyana,

I already made to overcome ROM before I saw your reply here. It is because I follow your signature from your answer on this tread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038010 and now I currently have Overcome CWM 5.1.2.6 which work well at this moment. It also look awesome. Still thanks a lot for your reply. I have few question here..

1. Is there any Overcome ROM with android version of 4.+.+ or I should use Android 4.3 Jelly Bean CM10.1 Nightly ROM?
2. Can I have more than 1 ROM installed? Because I like Overcome style and still need android 4.+.+ for games.
3. With this Overcome I currently use now, is it still rooted or do I need to root it again? Because I need root access for some of apps like freedom, etc.
4. In case I click reset to factory data reset on setting. Is it reset back as first time I install Overcome ROM?

Last edited:

Ichijoe

Feb 11, 2007
Frankfurt am/Main
Hello everyone.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab which I bought few years ago when it was first release (probably 2010). In the past, this device doing so well even after I root it 2 months after I purchase this device. But recently (starting 2014), it starting to hang or crashed a lot whenever i play a games. I mean high graphic games (if my term correct :laugh:) like Sims Freeplay etc which always make it crashed. I've never experience crashing thing if I play average games like cards etc. Apart from that, my battery drained way too fast for certain games. For your information, I'm a very hardcore gamer. Since I'm doing my work at home, most of time I spend it on games (probably like 16-18 hours or more per day while doing work or else). Because of this very reason, I've been thinking to upgrade it to latest android version so I can play latest games on Google Store. So I've been reading about custom ROM and decided to make it. My problem is my device is already rooted and I dont remember anything about it either which root tutorial I followed before or what apps that I used to root it. Only thing I remember is that Root Developer said that I need to use this same root apps to unroot my device. So now what can I do to get this custom ROM work? Do I need to unroot > stocked ROM > root again > custom ROM? Or I just straight doing this custom rom? And what is best stable custom ROM available for my device?

First, I'd seriously consider jumping to One of the better.... Um focused CyanogenMod 11, or OmniROM Builds if I were you. There is plently to be gained by updating the OS. Google Now being IMHO one of the better reasons to upgrade.

Secondly, I get your "Problem" its One in which I to share in. I guess it comes down to how well the "Developer" of your "Game" wishes to optimize their Code for. Most Games tend to work... Well enough... Other Games like Gameloft's My Little Pony have never worked well on either my Galaxy S (GT-I9000), or my Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000). Unfortunately for us these Devices only has a total of 512MB of which a portion is needed to run the OS which may leave you with something like 488MB free once your said and done. I suspect that these "Games" are probably more RAM hungry, and probably need a somewhat stronger CPU & GPU then what is on the P1000.

Hello priyana,

I already made to overcome ROM before I saw your reply here. It is because I follow your signature from your answer on this tread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2038010 and now I currently have Overcome CWM 5.1.2.6 which work well at this moment. It also look awesome. Still thanks a lot for your reply. I have few question here..

1. Is there any Overcome ROM with android version of 4.+.+ or I should use Android 4.3 Jelly Bean CM10.1 Nightly ROM?
2. Can I have more than 1 ROM installed? Because I like Overcome style and still need android 4.+.+ for games.
3. With this Overcome I currently use now, is it still rooted or do I need to root it again? Because I need root access for some of apps like freedom, etc.
4. In case I click reset to factory data reset on setting. Is it reset back as first time I install Overcome ROM?

1) Overcome is a modded Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread), TeamOvercome has since left the Stage, as Samsung will no longer maintain this Device. As to CyanogenMod... For the P1000 Int'l GSM... I'd recommend you use the following....

CM10 http://goo.im/devs/cm/p1/nightly/cm-10-20130203-NIGHTLY-p1.zip You can basically forget about wanting to use CM10.1 or CM10.2, as they are both broken, and are themselves pretty much unsupported

CM11 I'm quite partial to this ROM [ROM] SGT7 CM11.0 UNOFFIAL [4.4.2][P1/L/N][Kernel 3.0.x][2014-05-25] as the everything that, needs to work works again. Unlike CM10's .1 & .2. Namely the Camera. Just One word of caution here though. Due to the limited /system Partition. You should only install GApps_Minimal_4.4.2_signed.zip if you want to use something like AdAway on your Rooted Phablet.

As a side note I'd also recommend you try OmniROM. Though its a bit different to CyanogenMod. In that its NOT rooted! which is a major PITA! but there are ways to get 'round that. Unlike CM11 this ROM is updated nearly every day. Unlike the aforementioned CM11 Build this One will allow you to install the full GApps. But in the case of AdAway... Which depends on root, may not work unless you put a specific *.zip File into some Folder that insures that you have root every time you update it.

2) I'm not sure I think I read something about OmniROM beta testing some kind of dual boot system. But I gather its not ready for prime time yet though.

3) Yes its Kernel OS related you can reset your Phablet as many times as you wish it'll still be rooted. AFAIK only the Samsung Stock... And OmniROM ROMs are NOT rooted by default.

4) A factory reset should wipe all personal data on your Phablet Device. It would be analogues to a fresh install of Windows.. If you catch my drift.

Last edited:

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
I am on Omni.
To root you only need to download supersu.
I download the one from their website and flash via recovery.

Within its option, there is one that makes it survive a daily update/flash.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: myst_pretender

Ichijoe

Feb 11, 2007
Frankfurt am/Main
I am on Omni.

Or you root in that way for the first time, then you download The latest SuperSu Version, and then copy that into your /OpenDelta/FlashAfterUpdate Folder on your Internal SD (i.e. sdcard0) which should allow you to hold your root after each update. Otherwise it'll quickly become huge PITA to keep rooting your Phone on each daily update...

One other thing I dislike about OmniROM, is the fact that it does NOT support USB Mass Storage. Though to be honest... Neither does Google anymore. It only give you the choice of MTP: Samsung Kies Mode, or PTP: Pictbridge? Mode support. Though I'm lead to believe that UMS can be patched back into OmniROM if it hasn't already gone live.

Reactions: myst_pretender

myst_pretender

May 26, 2014
Malacca
First, I'd seriously consider jumping to One of the better.... Um focused CyanogenMod 11, or OmniROM Builds if I were you. There is plently to be gained by updating the OS. Google Now being IMHO one of the better reasons to upgrade.

Secondly, I get your "Problem" its One in which I to share in. I guess it comes down to how well the "Developer" of your "Game" wishes to optimize their Code for. Most Games tend to work... Well enough... Other Games like Gameloft's My Little Pony have never worked well on either my Galaxy S (GT-I9000), or my Galaxy Tab (GT-P1000). Unfortunately for us these Devices only has a total of 512MB of which a portion is needed to run the OS which may leave you with something like 488MB free once your said and done. I suspect that these "Games" are probably more RAM hungry, and probably need a somewhat stronger CPU & GPU then what is on the P1000.

Hello Ichijoe..

At this moment, I'm running CM11.2 on my GT-P1000. As developer of CM11.2 on thread said it is overclocked to 1.4GHz so it running good so far. And to cover my device lack of RAM, I use ROEHSOFT RAM Expander which I set my virtual RAM (if my term is correct) to 5GB. Yes, I know as developer said Virtual RAM is max for 4GB and I dont even need more than 2GB for running this, so I will change it later when I have time. So far, for this past 3 days, my GT-P1000 running with super duper smooth, not crashed even once unless I'm doing crazy thing like running 15 games at the same time. With my previous android Gingerbread 2.3.3, I'm never able to run more than 2 games without getting hanged or crashed. The only problem I'm facing now is I cannot use my videocam as it will send me popup "Unfortunately camera has stopped working". I can use normal camera, only videocam not working. Other user of CM11.2 also facing same problem. But I dont really mind since I less use videocam like 1-2 times per year. I wonder if I install 3rd party video software will allow me to use videocam. Never tried it yet.

I am on Omni.

Hello Priyana,

As I mentioned above, I finally made it working. Thanks to both of you Priyana and Ichijoe, I'm able to continue my relationship with my precious tablet:laugh:. To be honest, I'm almost going to throw this tablet out of my house since I'm getting pissed of it because of always crashed over small apps. Thanks again.

Almer_Cz

Feb 16, 2013
At this moment, I'm running CM11.2 on my GT-P1000. As developer of CM11.2 on thread said it is overclocked to 1.4GHz so it running good so far. And to cover my device lack of RAM, I use ROEHSOFT RAM Expander which I set my virtual RAM (if my term is correct) to 5GB.

Hi bro,

can you post link to your working CM 11.2 build? Is it for p1000 (GSM version of SG Tab) right?

Thx

ridmir

Aug 10, 2014
Monastir
Need Help...!

Then read what it says.
What vesion of CWM.

Hi,
I have Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P 1000, I have 2 question and need your help:
1-can I upgrade my tab with Overcome Rom 4.0.0 or 4.1.0, with the method that’s you explain???
2- Only French and Arabic keyboard, I will used after with my tab, Is it possible???
3- Thank’s a lot by replay.

Note: This’s my actually specification :
Model N°: Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 (Phone/WiFi/3G)
IMEI : 353942041480480
Imei SV : 01
Serial N° : R26B371419N
Firmware : 2.3.6
Baseband : P1000XXJPZ
Kernel : 2.6.35.7 root@DELL140#2
Version N° : GINGERBREAD.XWJQ8

P.S: No sim card in it (I do not need). Used just with free Hotspot Wifi to be connected…

priyana

Jul 21, 2007
1) yes. The method is for P1000 specifically
2) pretty sure French is there. Arabic was mentioned many times in overcome original thread, so I think also there.
3) you are welcome

Reactions: ridmir

ChevanLemon

Jan 29, 2012
Hello guys,

Im on my attempt to resurrect my P1000 and Im interested to what Ichijoe said about ''CyanogenMod 11, or OmniROM Builds" can anyone point me to the right thread on how to (Im pretty much noob about this)

Also which one is better? CyanogenMod 11 or 10?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Then read what it says.
    What vesion of CWM.

Hello everyone.

Hello priyana,

1) Overcome is a modded Android 2.3.6 (Gingerbread), TeamOvercome has since left the Stage, as Samsung will no longer maintain this Device. As to CyanogenMod... For the P1000 Int'l GSM... I'd recommend you use the following....

CM10 http://goo.im/devs/cm/p1/nightly/cm-10-20130203-NIGHTLY-p1.zip You can basically forget about wanting to use CM10.1 or CM10.2, as they are both broken, and are themselves pretty much unsupported

CM11 I'm quite partial to this ROM [ROM] SGT7 CM11.0 UNOFFIAL [4.4.2][P1/L/N][Kernel 3.0.x][2014-05-25] as the everything that, needs to work works again. Unlike CM10's .1 & .2. Namely the Camera. Just One word of caution here though. Due to the limited /system Partition. You should only install GApps_Minimal_4.4.2_signed.zip if you want to use something like AdAway on your Rooted Phablet.

As a side note I'd also recommend you try OmniROM. Though its a bit different to CyanogenMod. In that its NOT rooted! which is a major PITA! but there are ways to get 'round that. Unlike CM11 this ROM is updated nearly every day. Unlike the aforementioned CM11 Build this One will allow you to install the full GApps. But in the case of AdAway... Which depends on root, may not work unless you put a specific *.zip File into some Folder that insures that you have root every time you update it.

2) I'm not sure I think I read something about OmniROM beta testing some kind of dual boot system. But I gather its not ready for prime time yet though.

3) Yes its Kernel OS related you can reset your Phablet as many times as you wish it'll still be rooted. AFAIK only the Samsung Stock... And OmniROM ROMs are NOT rooted by default.

4) A factory reset should wipe all personal data on your Phablet Device. It would be analogues to a fresh install of Windows.. If you catch my drift.
    I am on Omni.

I am on Omni.

Or you root in that way for the first time, then you download The latest SuperSu Version, and then copy that into your /OpenDelta/FlashAfterUpdate Folder on your Internal SD (i.e. sdcard0) which should allow you to hold your root after each update. Otherwise it'll quickly become huge PITA to keep rooting your Phone on each daily update...

One other thing I dislike about OmniROM, is the fact that it does NOT support USB Mass Storage. Though to be honest... Neither does Google anymore. It only give you the choice of MTP: Samsung Kies Mode, or PTP: Pictbridge? Mode support. Though I'm lead to believe that UMS can be patched back into OmniROM if it hasn't already gone live.
    1) yes. The method is for P1000 specifically
    2) pretty sure French is there. Arabic was mentioned many times in overcome original thread, so I think also there.
    3) you are welcome