Dev Server OTA File: USE CAUTION IF YOU'RE ROOTED

Search This thread

scottml

Jul 17, 2011
POST REMOVED.

I'd like to apologize for posting this update which had previously been available to soak test members and not in wide release. The file was not altered in any way or distributed with any intent of causing harm to Motorola or Verizon.

It was a bad judgment call in posting it for others to use. I was excited at the prospect of bug fixes and feature improvements to what is an otherwise fantastic phone.

That is all. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Last edited:

scottml

Jul 17, 2011
So after looking through this file, I placed it on my sdcard, and patched through recovery (power + x).

I was basically reset to stock:
- De-rooted
- Made sure I had all my bloatware back
- Wiped user/cache (this was probably unnecessary but i was all messed up from doing the OTA hacking anyway)

The patch has fixes for many items:
- BP upgrade for the Radio
- Talk2 for Video
- Boot.img patch
- Recovery.img patch
- Various patches to alot of system files
- And some stupid bloatware patches as well.

User's beware if you also want to patch this file. Be sure to be as close to stock as you can get.

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
So after looking through this file, I placed it on my sdcard, and patched through recovery (power + x).

- De-rooted
- Wiped user/cache (this was probably unnecessary but i was all messed up from doing the OTA hacking anyway)

- Talk2 for Video
- Boot.img patch
- Recovery.img patch

User's beware if you also want to patch this file. Be sure to be as close to stock as you can get.

Were you able to re-root after flashing?

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Droid2Life

Sep 15, 2010
Indianapolis

- De-rooted

- Talk2 for Video
- Boot.img patch
- Recovery.img patch

This sounds like the OTA that is being pushed to D3 owners that are in Motorola's soak group. Radio fixes and whatnot for battery life purposes. I could be wrong though.

dincodee

May 3, 2010
Million dollar question. I want the updated gtalk when I get my replacement D3 tomorrow. I'll be completely stock so I'll be good to go on this as long as the same root exploit exists. I can't imagine they had time to remove it though.

Done lol, I just took the apk out of the update and installed right over the existing. You also need the libtalk_jni.so from there and out it in the syste/lib folder and you are all set new gtalk with video

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
So I have another question, if all that is modified is that fact that it has been rooted, what is wrong with flashing this while rooted? Wont it just unroot us at worse and we will have to reroot? Just trying to understand.

kingharrison

Feb 13, 2007
Works great. Already seems faster. Battery reports less for cell standby and phone idle. Either the reporting is better or they fixed the issue.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

wuwtk

Mar 27, 2009
I have some really good news, I soft bricked my phone a little while ago because I was an idiot with deleting my apps. I needed my phone and was going to activate the insurance and pay the deductible when I figured I might as well try this. I wiped the cache and data and applied this through the recovery mode and My phone is fully operational now. I can access my contacts, texts, setup accounts and not one force close yet. Now for disclosure I am probably very lucky this worked for me, try at your own risk. I am way to scared to try and delete apps again until I get a proper backup or I see enough people try it themselves with no issues. But to OP... Thank you very much you just saved me $100 :)

edit: Found one glitch, dont know if its my specific phone or not. But if wifi is on and you receive an e-mail the notification light will not go on, if wifi is off it will... Very minor bug though.

Last edited:

buckmarble

Sep 18, 2010
Michigan
So I must be an idiot or something. I put the file on the root of the sd card and then booted into recovery. It gave me an error. Said can not mount sdcard file or directory doesn't exist.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    POST REMOVED.

I'd like to apologize for posting this update which had previously been available to soak test members and not in wide release. The file was not altered in any way or distributed with any intent of causing harm to Motorola or Verizon.

It was a bad judgment call in posting it for others to use. I was excited at the prospect of bug fixes and feature improvements to what is an otherwise fantastic phone.

That is all. Nothing to see here. Move along.
    We both have D3s and will be getting Bionics as well and fully intend to work with both devices.
    P3droid has an extra D3 that is not his wife's phone, so he will be able to play around without risking his marital bliss in the bargain.
    It is important for everyone to understand that we cannot provide the same level of support for these newer Motorola devices that we could for previous models like the DX and others because we no longer have access to all of the internal files that we used to. We had everything we possibly needed or wanted for those devices, except an unlocked bootloader of course, directly from the Motorola software development engineers. This gave us a huge advantage and allowed us to do many things we couldn't have otherwise and we had unsecured engineering phones for all of those models as well.

We have a great deal of experience manipulating the firmware and with access tools and methods which we can bring to the table and a good understanding of the radio NVM, but we are not magicians. We will be here contributing to the community knowledge base like many others, but we aren't going to be playing masters of the universe.
    We still have a lot of resources and a great deal of trust built up in the community that we value highly, we just want to be sure that people's expectations don't exceed our abilities.

OK? ;)
    Great, lost root.

one click reports success, no root.

manually I gain root via adb shell, push su chmod it, push superuser, etc...no root for any applications nor do I have the ability to grant SU to any apps.

Reboot, no root.

**EDIT**

Had to use the temp ADB shell root access to completely remove su, Superuser and busybox. Rebooted then re-ran the one-click. rebooted when all was done, ROOT access is mine again!!

Adding SU access to my root apps again.

My one-click unroot will fix (a) frozen apps, (b) missing files, (c) renamed files, (d) redundant/duplicate copies of su/busybox/Superuser.apk.

http://www.psouza4.com/Droid3/PetesMotorolaRootTools_v1.03.zip

Use the un-root option, apply the update, then use it to re-root. Done and done.
    Ok, I fixed both of my problems - recovery and camera.

The problem was too much junk on /system. One of the tools I use installed several binaries to xbin, which was just enough to prevent all of the update files from being copied over.

So first off, I removed all the extra junk from /system that I had added so I had enough space to run the update.

To fix the recovery, I extracted the update package and copied recovery/recovery-from-boot.p to /sdcard and ran the following on the phone:
    Code:
    su
    system -o rw,remount /system
    cp /sdcard /system/recovery-from-boot.p
    sh /etc/install-recovery.sh

After that, I was able to restart into recovery and reinstall the update successfully. My camera now works and all seems dandy.

The moral of the story kids - make sure you clean up after yourself before you apply this update!
    You can re-root using the same exploit.