[Solved] Can I have my homescreen look like this mockup?

Search This thread

BeaverusIV

Aug 3, 2010
Taupo
I would like to make my homescreen look like the one attached.

This is a little mockup I have made. Even if I can get the shortcut list going on the side would be nice. I'm not so sure about the tiles after I finished drawing it.

Any ideas on widgets/launchers is appreciated before I have to actually code something myself. I have been trying to look for widgets etc. that can help me but have come up empty.

Attachments

• mavina-mockup.jpg
    mavina-mockup.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
Things like this have been done before. Search Android Phone 7. I've never seen one with that app list sidebar. That may be a little hard to recreate but it isn't impossible.

Things you'd need: Icons, Desktop Visualizer, ADW EX or Launcher Pro Plus (Plus is needed for resizing widgets) Minimalistic Text, maybe Phantom Music Control. For the icons like "Games" or "Utilities" you may be able to link the DVR widget to an app called Folder Organizator. Or you could use a widget called SiMi Folder, which would make a shortcut on your homescreen that is like the iPhone's folder thing. You could make the icon of the SiMi Folder transparent.

This is going to take A LOT of resizing, which can get really boring. To avoid headaches, plan everything out before you start. If you want a widget above another widget, the widget you want on the bottom (background) needs to be placed BEFORE the widget you want in front (foreground). You are going to have to resize it over the other widget, not place it on top.

That's all I can think of for right now. The left side should be pretty easy. The right side on the other hand will be a little challenging. My best advice would be to start by making a big plain minimalistic text (MT) widget, then add each app name as a MT widget with a blank background (option is in the MT widget configuration menu) For some help, try the Hubs layout in the Asus Transformer Theme and App section. We have a nice thread there with a similar idea and people there will be more than willing to help. They are a lot better at home screen customization than me.

Anyways, awesome idea! If you make the icons, I'll be happy to help you recreate it!

Last edited:
Reactions: BeaverusIV

BeaverusIV

Aug 3, 2010
Taupo
Thanks for the reply. I've played around with Minimalistic Text and it looks promising, thanks. I had noticed it several times before, but it does not mention it can function to create normal shortcuts too.

Just buying ADW Launcher EX (first purchase, borrowing a debit card now), as I have been using the free version for a while. Will post an update when it goes through and I can play with resizing the widgets.

BeaverusIV

Aug 3, 2010
Taupo
I am currently playing with Minimalistic Text and I have the text on the screen, but when I assigned the proper functions I found they overlap each other...

Anyone know how to avoid this? (They are created using 5x1 horizontal widgets)

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 114

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
I am currently playing with Minimalistic Text and I have the text on the screen, but when I assigned the proper functions I found they overlap each other...

Anyone know how to avoid this? (They are created using 5x1 horizontal widgets)

Resize the widgets. I dont know how its done in ADW but i think you can do it by long pressing them.

BeaverusIV

Aug 3, 2010
Taupo
I have, they are the smallest they can go. The resize outline box is 1 unit high, but when I push the 'button' it shows a 2 unit high selection box...

I'll see if I can get a s/s of each box...

Edit: Nope, too tricky to get the timing.

Last edited:

BeaverusIV

Aug 3, 2010
Taupo
I used to use DVR when I first got my phone. The tile layout on the left was an experiment, I don't think I'll use it. The main thing was the right hand side; the list of shortcuts.

Well I worked around the overlapping issue by reapplying them in a different order so they underlap instead.

Now I'll work on another layout I like for the rest of my icons, thanks guys :)

PS: @restarting phone: Who does that? :p

Edit: For anyone who cares:

Use MT to make a 5x1 widget, use the vertical top alignment and both horizontal ones right.
Don't show background.
Choose custom layout and remove the three existing sections and add a 'static text' one from under Misc.
I choose normal (not default) text and change it to 30dip (that fits my applications nicely on my 800x480px screen).
Choose launch another application and choose the application you want to launch.
Start from the bottom of the screen and work your way up, placing the background last.

Last edited:

SwiftLegend

Apr 1, 2010
I used to use DVR when I first got my phone. The tile layout on the left was an experiment, I don't think I'll use it. The main thing was the right hand side; the list of shortcuts.

Well I worked around the overlapping issue by reapplying them in a different order so they underlap instead.

Now I'll work on another layout I like for the rest of my icons, thanks guys :)

PS: @restarting phone: Who does that? :p

Edit: For anyone who cares:

Use MT to make a 5x1 widget, use the vertical top alignment and both horizontal ones right.
Don't show background.
Choose custom layout and remove the three existing sections and add a 'static text' one from under Misc.
I choose normal (not default) text and change it to 30dip (that fits my applications nicely on my 800x480px screen).
Choose launch another application and choose the application you want to launch.
Start from the bottom of the screen and work your way up, placing the background last.
OO thanks! I'll wait til you finish the whole thing to try it out but it looks like its going to be awesome.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Things like this have been done before. Search Android Phone 7. I've never seen one with that app list sidebar. That may be a little hard to recreate but it isn't impossible.

Things you'd need: Icons, Desktop Visualizer, ADW EX or Launcher Pro Plus (Plus is needed for resizing widgets) Minimalistic Text, maybe Phantom Music Control. For the icons like "Games" or "Utilities" you may be able to link the DVR widget to an app called Folder Organizator. Or you could use a widget called SiMi Folder, which would make a shortcut on your homescreen that is like the iPhone's folder thing. You could make the icon of the SiMi Folder transparent.

This is going to take A LOT of resizing, which can get really boring. To avoid headaches, plan everything out before you start. If you want a widget above another widget, the widget you want on the bottom (background) needs to be placed BEFORE the widget you want in front (foreground). You are going to have to resize it over the other widget, not place it on top.

That's all I can think of for right now. The left side should be pretty easy. The right side on the other hand will be a little challenging. My best advice would be to start by making a big plain minimalistic text (MT) widget, then add each app name as a MT widget with a blank background (option is in the MT widget configuration menu) For some help, try the Hubs layout in the Asus Transformer Theme and App section. We have a nice thread there with a similar idea and people there will be more than willing to help. They are a lot better at home screen customization than me.

Anyways, awesome idea! If you make the icons, I'll be happy to help you recreate it!