Damaged internal sd

Search This thread

angelgzg

Oct 30, 2010
Maracay
Well it seems that my internal SD is damaged or G Moto conclude that after trying many tutorials in order to recover and none work, despite installing stock rom, gpe, recovery, etc (all without error and apparently good) but it seems that so do not write install on the phone because no change, in fact I have tried to not think of brick and even that allows, there will be some way to fix this? even for hardware?

Or if there is any way to format the internal sd using adb, just as is done by a custom recovery

Note: this because it allows me to install a custom recovery

Reactions: JanardhanTS

debaj

Dec 8, 2010
Budapest
Well it seems that my internal SD is damaged or G Moto conclude that after trying many tutorials in order to recover and none work, despite installing stock rom, gpe, recovery, etc (all without error and apparently good) but it seems that so do not write install on the phone because no change, in fact I have tried to not think of brick and even that allows, there will be some way to fix this? even for hardware?

Or if there is any way to format the internal sd using adb, just as is done by a custom recovery

I had a similar issue, and I have bad news. If your warranty is still valid flash the original recovery back and try to ask for a replacement. I ended up with buying a broken Verizon branded Moto G as donor and replacing my logic board, of course the cellular network does not work but at least I can use my device for development. My problem was that the eMMC chip got some bad blocks (similar to bad sectors in HDDs) and it prevented the cache partition from mounting and some of other partitions became read only, for instance I could not update the recovery or install a new ROM while I could read the system files, while I was able to push files to the /data partition.

There is a tool called badblocks which can map these blocks and thus fix the eMMC theoretically (it generates a mapping file which can be used later by fdisk) but unfortunately this tool was left out from the Moto G's base system and I don't know if there is any ARM compatible version of it.

I asked around in GSM repair shops if there is any way to replace the eMMC chip with another one of the same model but all of them replied that they don't have the proper machinery to do such fine work and unfortunately there is no official Motorola service in Hungary so they couldn't even get a replacement logic board.

Funny thing that all the write operations were successful in fastboot, but later I found out that on most devices the eMMC controller is so primitive that it barely contains any error handling at all. It will only report trivial errors with a perfectly working eMMC chip, if the eMMc is broken and it cannot produce valid error messages the controller just assumes that everything was OK.

Reactions: JanardhanTS

angelgzg

Oct 30, 2010
Maracay
I had a similar issue, and I have bad news. If your warranty is still valid flash the original recovery back and try to ask for a replacement. I ended up with buying a broken Verizon branded Moto G as donor and replacing my logic board, of course the cellular network does not work but at least I can use my device for development. My problem was that the eMMC chip got some bad blocks (similar to bad sectors in HDDs) and it prevented the cache partition from mounting and some of other partitions became read only, for instance I could not update the recovery or install a new ROM while I could read the system files, while I was able to push files to the /data partition.

There is a tool called badblocks which can map these blocks and thus fix the eMMC theoretically (it generates a mapping file which can be used later by fdisk) but unfortunately this tool was left out from the Moto G's base system and I don't know if there is any ARM compatible version of it.

I asked around in GSM repair shops if there is any way to replace the eMMC chip with another one of the same model but all of them replied that they don't have the proper machinery to do such fine work and unfortunately there is no official Motorola service in Hungary so they couldn't even get a replacement logic board.

Funny thing that all the write operations were successful in fastboot, but later I found out that on most devices the eMMC controller is so primitive that it barely contains any error handling at all. It will only report trivial errors with a perfectly working eMMC chip, if the eMMc is broken and it cannot produce valid error messages the controller just assumes that everything was OK.

Well it seems to be almost the same, and I give my phone as lost

_3psilon_

Jun 23, 2016

I'm having the very very same issue with an XT1032 Moto G. "Read-only" eMMC. At least I know I won't have to look for a service center in Budapest since there is none. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.